• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

Piggus

Definitely my favorite of the concepts, and the most likely, I think, given the rumors.

I just hope that this time around, it includes some sort of headphone/keyboard jack at the BOTTOM of the controller.

Same, as another person said I don't think they'll get rid of the DS silhouette that we've all become used to. I'm sure they'll improve the triggers a bit though.

onQ123

whiteps42kub8.png

it's alr1ght

Duffyside

Banned
Sony has to know the overwhelming consensus is that the controller needs better triggers and to have bigger grips, right? Right!?

VanWinkle

This is probably my favorite and what I could imagine it most resembling.

Exactly. It's most what I think of when I hear "Evolved Dualshock". The other one people are posting a lot looks great but just too closely resembles a regular dualshock; an "iteration" if you will from PS1->PS2->PS3->PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sony has to know the overwhelming consensus is that the controller needs better triggers and to have bigger grips, right? Right!?
They have to. Controller designs are also one of the most fluid things before a console launches. If they're serious about improving the controller they'll likely take feedback from devs and the first members of the press that use it and make some adjustments based on that.

So the leaks have also said the PS4 will have a camera and move controller at launch.

We can already guess the new camera will be a 3D camera but do you think they will redesign the Move in some way? Would be a waste if they redesigned the dualshock, introduced a new camera and them just had the same motion controller they had last gen. A update nav controller with rumble and some kind of motion sensor would be welcome.

Everyone seems to be getting hung up on the new dualshock.

dancmc

Where are all the GAF mockups of the controller!!

Edit: oh man am I an idiot!!! Lol!!! My Internet is playing tricks on me. The pics didn't load until after I came back to te pagea 2nd time

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So the leaks have also said the PS4 will have a camera and move controller at launch.

From developer docs they mention a camera and Move. There has been no rumor that says it is part of the console. They could simply be part of the SDK.

onQ123

Ahead of it's Time! I had one that worked with the PS1 SNES & Sega Genesis I used to love it but I think most people hated it.

turbotouch360.jpg

We can already guess the new camera will be a 3D camera but do you think they will redesign the Move in some way? Would be a waste if they redesigned the dualshock, introduced a new camera and them just had the same motion controller they had last gen. A update nav controller with rumble and some kind of motion sensor would be welcome.

Everyone seems to be getting hung up on the new dualshock.

It's a panoramic camera, from looking at the name that it has. Also, move is part of the new controller i.e. controller may have LEDs, or may split up into two.

No one knows for sure but we will know on 20th.

Zeal

Banned
Probably a stupid question but I just didn't want to bump any older threads. Unrelated to controller but, how's the GPU's in Durango and PS4 supposedly compare to say, the GTX 690 from Nvidia?

I'm just trying to look up the strongest cards I can on Amazon to compare what type of graphic performance we are supposed to be looking at here.

SSM25

Probably a stupid question but I just didn't want to bump any older threads. Unrelated to controller but, how's the GPU's in Durango and PS4 supposedly compare to say, the GTX 690 from Nvidia?

I'm just trying to look up the strongest cards I can on Amazon to compare what type of graphic performance we are supposed to be looking at here.

A GTX 690?? That card is waaay more powerful than Orbis or Durante's GPUs,. it's literally two 680s taped together.

It's also waaay more expensive and consumes waaay more power..

But anyway, comparing desktop and consoles GPUs is not that easy, consoles have specific advantages that come with being designed for gaming.

VanWinkle

A GTX 690?? That card is waaay more powerful than Orbis or Durante's GPUs,. it's literally two 680s taped together.

It's also waaay more expensive and consumes waaay more power..

Just checked Newegg on that card...A THOUSAND DOLLARS!?! Haha.

God, I wish they could make that touchpad a small touch screen. I really hate typing text via the gamepad buttons, text input a la smart phone is 10 times faster.

The PS4 GPU will be very comparable to a 690, maybe even a little better. I'd be super disappointed if Sony didn't put a GPU that cost $1000 in the PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The 690 is essentially two of the best graphics cards on the market duct taped together in one case. It's designed for extremely high resolutions (2160p and up) and multiple monitor set ups. It's absolutely insane to expect anything even near that level of power in consoles. That GPU alone will take twice as much wattage to power it as these entire consoles will.

Orayn

Zeal's post reminded me that we'll be in for some interesting meltdowns when Microsoft and Sony officially reveal their next consoles' specs. I mean, it's not easy to tell somebody that the GPU probably falls somewhere between an HD7770 and HD7850 when they probably have something better in their desktop right now, or that the system won't have 16GB of RAM just because it's a reasonable price on Newegg. Remember some of the responses to the early reports of Durango using a 1.6GHz Jaguar CPU? It's gonna be pandemonium.

i-Lo

Zeal's post reminded me that we'll be in for some interesting meltdowns when Microsoft and Sony officially reveal their next consoles' specs. I mean, it's not easy to tell somebody that the GPU probably falls somewhere between an HD7770 and HD7850 when they probably have something better in their desktop right now, or that the system won't have 16GB of RAM just because it's a reasonable price on Newegg. Remember some of the responses to the early reports of Durango using a 1.6GHz Jaguar CPU? It's gonna be pandemonium.

The avalanche of stupid will be seen anew and in unspeakably large quantities. It has already started.

The moderators have their work cut out of them.

I do too, but that would affect both price and battery life much more than a touchpad.

The screen doesn´t have to be lit all the time, it could still act as a touchpad most of the time. It doesn´t even have to be a color screen as far as I am concerned. The price for a small lcd screen should hardly be the issue, certainly not at the production volumes of a game console.

Isn't it about time that we just recite what we want to be typed, and it shall be done?

It would be tough to handle my passwords......

Maybe they will be able to handle English fairly well in a couple of year, but people still would like to be able to edit the text before sending etc.

VanWinkle

The screen doesn´t have to be lit all the time, it could still act as a touchpad most of the time. It doesn´t even have to be a color screen as far as I am concerned. The price for a small lcd screen should hardly be the issue, certainly not at the production volumes of a game console.

Nobody is going to go for a black and white lcd lol, it would be mocked beyond belief next to the Wii u gamepad, which would suddenly look more technologically advanced.

Nobody is going to go for a black and white lcd lol, it would be mocked beyond belief next to the Wii u gamepad, which would suddenly look more technologically advanced.

Yes, you are right, the price for a small color lcd shouldnt be much different anyway, so yes a black/white screen would hardly happen.

Yet the Kindle screens are pretty nifty. :)

With bigger sticks:

dualshock4b5pu9x.jpg

I personally do hope it goes away, it's not ergonomic or aesthetically pleasing.

I think this is close if only because I expect the touch pad to be directly between the button and analog sticks like the screen is on Vita and not above the sticks like most of the other mocks. I also think the controller will be an inch or two wider than the current dual shock with better ergonomics.

I-hate-u

My biggest issue with the dualshock is its plasticy feel. Make it from the same material as the 360 controller aka more grip and it should be better. Also make it more sturdy. I have gone through 5-6 controllers in the entire life span of my ps3 ownership.

jett

D-Member
I think this is close if only because I expect the touch pad to be directly between the button and analog sticks like the screen is on Vita and not above the sticks like most of the other mocks. I also think the controller will be an inch or two wider than the current dual shock with better ergonomics.

Yeah. The touchpad being cramped up between the dpad, sticks and buttons doesn't make sense to me.

If it's a touch pad and not a screen how does it work? It couldn't be used for maps or interfaces or MGS codec calls, and it wouldn't work as a keyboard (unless you were a master of knowing where the keys on your tv screen lined up with the touch pad.)

I guess basic motions like swiping to cut something like in Okami, but that doesn't seem like much of a gaming revolution.

Top Bottom