• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop drops 3DS price to $150 right before Vita launch. Permanent? UP: Sure ain't!

Mengetsu

Edit:
No, it's a sale that ends on 2/12. Someone on CAG mentioned that managers said this sale was initiated by Nintendo to grab people on the fence. Haha...good timing eh.

Source:http://www.gamesradar.com/3ds-gamestop-price-drops-150-right-vita-launch-going-happen-everywhere/

Nintendo’s 3DS had a rocky start, but following a crazy huge price cut, it not only got back on track but performed better in eight months than the DS did in its first year. Thanks to the lower price and giant releases like Mario Kart and Monster Hunter 3G in Japan, the 3DS has been trouncing the Vita on a weekly basis in the island nation. Obviously Nintendo wants to repeat that success in the US, perhaps using shocking price reductions, at least if one GameStop listing is anything to go by.

Currently on GameStop's website you can buy a new 3DS system for $149.99, $20 less than the current price elsewhere. It’s listed like a sale price by Stop, but GameStop basically NEVER cuts prices on new hardware, and Nintendo stuff besides. More often this type of thing happens as part of an industry wide price drop. Is this the case?
Our brief research has proven that competing mega-retailers like Amazon, Best Buy and Wal-Mart are still charging $169.99 for a new unit. Recently Nintendo has given GameStop US-exclusive retail items, like the 3DS Circle Pad Pro and Xenoblade Chronicles. It’s possible that this is another Nintendo favor, but it’d be a pretty big one.
In the US Nintendo is launching a new pink unbundled 3DS system in three days, which would be a great time to reveal a shocking, last minute price cut
. Perhaps The N is letting Stop in on the new MSRP a little early, but we bet it’s only a matter of time before every US store will reflect that price. Nintendo is playing hardball with Sony and this clearly appears to be a big move to overshadow the Vita’s upcoming launch that begins with early bundles on 2/15 and a full launch on 2/22.

Link:http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles/nintendo-3ds?nav=13ffff2412-1a2&loc=3dsplatform_row7_col1

Nintendo going the limit?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
019.gif

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
No, it's a sale that ends on 2/12. Someone on CAG mentioned that managers said this sale was initiated by Nintendo to grab people on the fence. Haha...good timing eh.

Neverfade

Justifying dropping trade in prices for 3DS for the inevitable influx.

Edit: Before anyone does, please don't take this post as me saying the 3DS is unworthy of the Vita. I love and will keep my 3DS and will buy a Vita. Hooray games.

I don't see why Nintendo would drop it again when it's selling like crazy and has already broken sales records in places.

Duxxy3

I think it's clearing out old systems for re-design or just an update.

edit: if this is a price drop... vita is completely and utterly fucked.

thuway

Sony needs to get that price down sooner rather than later. Since they went with a conventional design this time, the price will hopefully fall faster than the original PSP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Upgrades for the DS averaged every 18-19 months, so we're still a bit early on that.

Fall would be much more likely.

Not sure what prices were in the US, but in Canada the 3DS was $130-$150 basically every week in December (and $130 for a week after Christmas).

Buzzati

Banned
This Just In: Nintendo to offer Snake Rattle N' Roll, Cobra Triangle, and used copies of Dunston Checks In to early adopters.

$100 gap between the 2 is going to kill the vita, and it's sad because I just tried it out at a GameStop and its a beautiful system

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I think it's clearing out old systems for re-design or just an update.
Today I was at GameStop, and one of the 3DS boxes was slightly damaged. Another sign there's a redesign coming? You decide!

$100 gap between the 2 is going to kill the vita, and it's sad because I just tried it out at a GameStop and its a beautiful system

The 3DS is also beautiful. I remember that was the biggest difference between a lot of people deciding between the DS and the PSP back in the day. The PSP was much more slick and technical than the DS, while the DS was incredibly bulky and ugly. This time, however, the 3DS is very slick and no slouch graphically or technically, and is much more portable than the Vita. Now with the $100 price difference, it's pretty obvious which one will win out for for the next couple of months before Sony gets their shit together.

Mengetsu

Damn... So tempted... But must hold out for redesign

+1 holding out for a redesign. Second analog built in or bust.

This basically confirms a redesign, better wait for that

lol

The redesign is coming very soon. It would be insane to rush out and buy one now.

Still smells of 3DSi Lite XL to me

1:

Or

2:

On topic 150.00 is a steal at this point. Redesign or not. I can't wait to see the deals the Vita has.

Top Bottom