• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Majukun

Argh, this fucking game. Been loving playing this on the train but just got the mandatory motion control marble madness shrine near the 2nd village. Fuck this fucking thing. Not only do the axis move, but the whole thing moves!

Twisting my body into someone sitting next to me is not the reason I bought a portable console. Fucks sake, looks like I'll have to take the hit on the spirit orb here.

use the rim of the labyrinth to pass those kinds of puzzles

you can actually just put the entire thing upside down and use the flat surface for an easy solution..but it works better on the wii u version where you have the second screen

daviyoung

Banned
remove the joycon and just move those.

as mentioned, the well-known and popular "trick" is to just flip whatever controller you're using and walking on the flat bottom.

it's not that hard to do.

The right way is to take off the joycons, turn them upside down, and balance the screen on my lap? What a great experience!

Looks like you've flipped your logic as well as the puzzle.

Doing it the way the console was designed is a right pain in the arse. I just wish Nintendo left the motion alone or gave me an alternative.

TheMoon

The right way is to take off the joycons, turn them upside down, and balance the screen on my lap? What a great experience!

Doing it the way the console was designed is a right pain in the arse. I just wish Nintendo left the motion alone or gave me an alternative.

Stop being a baby about this and just give it an earnest try lol.

I didn't say flipping it over is "the right way", I said it's a popular easy trick to deal with the puzzle. Don't make this out to be more cumbersome than it is.

daviyoung

Banned
Stop being a baby about this and just give it an earnest try lol.

I didn't say flipping it over is "the right way", I said it's a popular easy trick to deal with the puzzle. Don't make this out to be more cumbersome than it is.

Yeh, because I was actually doing it the right way. The right way you said was 100% wrong.

It's a shitty forced design choice. That there is even a hack is testament to that. It is cumbersome because the screen is attached to the sensors. When you tilt, it makes the view distort. This is a basic weakness.

TheMoon

Yeh, because I was actually doing it the right way. The right way you said was 100% wrong.

It's a shitty forced design choice. That there is even a hack is testament to that. It is cumbersome because the screen is attached to the sensors. When you tilt, it makes the view distort. This is a basic weakness.

Take the damn joy con off the side and stop being angry at the thing. There's no need to pretend you're tumbling in a washing machine.

You're doing it wrong because you're being stubborn about it and doing unnecessarily complicated things instead of doing it the easy, comfortable way.

daviyoung

Banned
Take the damn joy con off the thing and stop being angry at the thing.

No, I'm not balancing the tablet on my lap lol. What a great way to play the game!

Lol. I'm doing it wrong because I've had to circumvent how the options screen in the game lays out how I should be using the controller and screen together. Another great hack, thanks mate!

TheMoon

Maybe if you've had to resort to detaching the joycons or turning everything upside down.

You don't have to turn everything or anything upside down. That is one of the multitude of options you have.

How to not be awkward washing machine mime on the train:
0) be in that shrine at the control thing
1) detach joycon
2) move right joycon to align the maze
3) get ball
4) finish shrine
5) reattach joycon
6) be over it

daviyoung

Banned
You don't have to turn everything or anything upside down. That is one of the multitude of options you have.

How to not be awkward washing machine mime on the train:
0) be in that shrine at the control thing
1) detach joycon
2) move right joycon to align the maze
3) get ball
4) finish shrine
5) reattach joycon
6) be over it

Nowhere is that stated as the right way to do it. Nowhere did they at Nintendo go "in order to do this puzzle one must detach a joycon". I know that because Nintendo are usually really good at spelling out how a game should be played. In this instance, like you are holding a physical representation of the puzzle. You seem to think this design flaw is a positive, and that it's somehow my fault for not hacking the control scheme? Give me a break.

TheMoon

Nowhere is that stated as the right way to do it. Nowhere did they at Nintendo go "in order to do this puzzle one must detach a joycon". I know that because Nintendo are usually really good at spelling out how a game should be played. In this instance, like you are holding a physical representation of the puzzle. You seem to think this design flaw is a positive, and that it's somehow my fault for not hacking the control scheme? Give me a break.

I don't think that at all. I do think, however, you're really making a mountain out of a molehill. And again, there is no official "right way." There is just a wrong way when that way is weirdly twisting your body on a train or whatever your situation was.

You described your situation as sitting next to someone in a tight space. For that situation, the easiest solve for this particular motion puzzle, is to detach the joycon. An optional additional step to make the puzzle easier in general is turning the joycon upside down so the maze's flat floor is what you walk on in order to avoid navigating the actual maze.

Now stop being a baby about this and solve the puzzle already. There's really no reason to kick up this much dust over such a simple thing.

daviyoung

Banned
I don't think that at all. I do think, however, you're really making a mountain out of a molehill. And again, there is no official "right way." There is just a wrong way when that way is weirdly twisting your body on a train or whatever your situation was.

You described your situation as sitting next to someone in a tight space. For that situation, the easiest solve for this particular motion puzzle, is to detach the joycon. An optional additional step to make the puzzle easier in general is turning the joycon upside down so the maze's flat floor is what you walk on in order to avoid navigating the actual maze.

Now stop being a baby about this and solve the puzzle already. There's really no reason to kick up this much dust over such a simple thing.

I did it ages ago mate, the right way. Which is keeping the joycons attached to the screen. No detaching anything. It was annoying, hence my first post, that I had to move the joycons because the whole maze would move and not just tilt. Like I could move the whole thing horizontally towards and away from the platform. Don't know if that was a bug or not. At least you detract your initial statement so it's all good.

Tbf to him, the motion control puzzle bits are awfully designed. Took me ages flinging the Switch to get the hammer to hit the ball in one of the shrines.

More of this shit? Fucks sake.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Tbf to him, the motion control puzzle bits are awfully designed. Took me ages flinging the Switch to get the hammer to hit the ball in one of the shrines.

It's not that bad once you figure out what motion you need to do. For that one it's just a flick of the wrist. Just hold the controller/Switch in your right and a flick it away from you.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ok, so that one shrine isn't good on the bus. It's not mandatory, so why not explore the hundreds of other shrines or just go do something else and then teleport back to that shrine when you are not on the bus?!?

Whoever designed the horse hurdling challenge needs to be blasted into space.

Agreed. They put so much effort into having horses react to danger, avoid obstacles, have different temperaments and personalities and then there's that sodding challenge that's like some janky, pixel-perfect relic from a bygone age. It's the one part of the game that felt like nobody tested it beforehand.

It's not that bad once you figure out what motion you need to do. For that one it's just a flick of the wrist. Just hold the controller/Switch in your right and a flick it away from you.

I dunno, it was all over the place for me. I tried it with the Joy-Cons connected to the screen and took them out as well and was having no joy. Maybe I'm just an idiot but it just felt like badly implemented Wii controls. A button/stick option would've been nice.

I just got the Switch a few weeks ago and hadn't really seen anything of Zelda otherwise, but I've just looked up the motion control thing and apparently it's a common complaint.

Is there anything really essential I should do before going to defeat Ganon? It doesn't seem like much of the side quests are necessary, at least when it comes to making the game easier, but I'm wondering if there isn't anything really cool I'll miss out on if I just proceed to finish now.

(I've already done Eventide Island)

TheMoon

Is there anything really essential I should do before going to defeat Ganon? It doesn't seem like much of the side quests are necessary, at least when it comes to making the game easier, but I'm wondering if there isn't anything really cool I'll miss out on if I just proceed to finish now.

there's nothing missable. there is no post-ganon world anyway, you resume the clear game save outside of the castle.

Anteo

The only thing you can miss is
a longer final boss fight that works like a boss rush
and you miss it by
clearing the divine beasts, each divine beast removes 1 blight ganon before calamity ganon and 1/8 of the hp of calamity ganon.

there's nothing missable. there is no post-ganon world anyway, you resume the clear game save outside of the castle.

I should clarify that, after I defeat Ganon, I'm putting this game down for the foreseeable future. I'm wondering about the most worthwhile content before I call it quits!

Red

Yeah it's the incidental stuff and spontaneous overworld discoveries that make BotW so special. It would be really difficult to point you toward anything in particular.

Durden77

What is the number represent for armor in the display boxnin inventory? I know for weapons it's attack, but with armor the number in the box doesn't match the actual defense.

Also....where the fuck is that ceremonial trident at in the Zora kingdom? Dude says he dropped it "off the bridge". THERE'S A LOT OF BRIDGES DUDE. Checked under the bridge he's standing on and the main bridge going into the kingdom, couldn't find it.

I hear you, but at least the motion control puzzles are always in optional shrines.

I personally liked them a lot.

Chopper

What is the number represent for armor in the display boxnin inventory? I know for weapons it's attack, but with armor the number in the box doesn't match the actual defense.

Also....where the fuck is that ceremonial trident at in the Zora kingdom? Dude says he dropped it "off the bridge". THERE'S A LOT OF BRIDGES DUDE. Checked under the bridge he's standing on and the main bridge going into the kingdom, couldn't find it.
It is under the bridge he's standing on.
Look harder.

TheMoon

i don't ever wanna feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel
like i did that day
take me to the place i looooooooooooooooooooove
take me all the waaaayy

-Horizon-

I would like to ask someone who has both the wii u version and the switch version: is it worth it to get the switch version if I'm already playing the wii u one? Is the framerate that much more improved? Because the wii u version is ridiculously frame-y around stables, towns, and certain areas.

Durden77

It is under the bridge he's standing on.
Look harder.

Alright thanks, will do tonight. Is it pretty much directly under there? Or somewhere in that massive lake under the bridge where I drew some blood?

Also, any word on those armor numbers?

I would like to ask someone who has both the wii u version and the switch version: is it worth it to get the switch version if I'm already playing the wii u one? Is the framerate that much more improved? Because the wii u version is ridiculously frame-y around stables, towns, and certain areas.

The framerates issues are very infrequent on the Switch in my experience. Pretty much only get them when there's a lot of effects like a big ass fire, or when I go into first person in a town.

I'd say it depends on how much time you've put into the Wii U version and if you want the ability to play it with more portability. This game is pretty great to play handheld or on the TV.

Anteo

I had both versions. If you already have a switch and there is really nothing else you want to buy, and you like to play on gamepad/portable mode. yeah sure but the improvements, while big, dont add too much imo.

-Horizon-

The framerates issues are very infrequent on the Switch in my experience. Pretty much only get them when there's a lot of effects like a big ass fire, or when I go into first person in a town.

I'd say it depends on how much time you've put into the Wii U version and if you want the ability to play it with more portability. This game is pretty great to play handheld or on the TV.

I had both versions. If you already have a switch and there is really nothing else you want to buy, and you like to play on gamepad/portable mode. yeah sure but the improvements, while big, dont add too much imo.

Thanks all. Gonna consider it a bit more.

Smellycat

I will probably end up buying the DLC after the reveal today. I have held off on buying it because I invested over 300 hours into the game in the span of 2 months. I needed a break lol

Durden77

there is no diving in this game ...

remember what tools you have .....

remember what material weapons are usually made of....

I've been looking with stasis. Thought I used the magnet too but I'l try again....thanks for not being too straightforward though. This game is so much fun finding things on your own.

TheMoon

Weird that they announced new amiibo dates but not dlc...
Maybe it's been delayed?

I don't want to blow anyone's mind here but: the amiibo date is the DLC release date (or the week after). :)

They'll have a dedicated DLC blowout video/PR/event/whatever but don't be shocked to eventually learn that the DLC will hit on the same day as the amiibo or a week later. Because of course it does. :) (just like how DLC 1 hit a week after the previous Zelda amiibo)

Weilthain

Banned
I'm using the map that came with the strategy guide book to get all the koroks. I take a picture on my tablet or phone of an area for reference, mark about 5 points on the in game map, and go find them. It's incredibly fun.

I still can't really get over how awesome this game is. I really hope the story dlc coming soon will add traditional dungeons to the game, it would make an already fantastic game even better.

So beating the game on Master reset my Hero's Path :( Is that normal? After beating Ganon and loading the starred autosave, my Hero's Path starts at the castle :(

I still have my previous manual save which still has the path intact but I'd rather move on to hunting boss medals and such.

Is that a glitch that happened to anyone else? Should I just go beat Ganon again?

edit : beating Ganon again from the previous save solved the issue.

Top Bottom