• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica announces their own record label: Blackened Recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Blackened Recordings Launches
November 30, 2012

We like to make it a point here not to bore you with the not-so-exciting business aspects of making and sharing music, but we're so psyched about our new adventure that we just had to tell you about it as we officially launch our very own record label, Blackened Recordings.

Some of you, who have followed along throughout the years, are aware that in 1994 we renegotiated our contract with the Warner Music Group, which resulted in a joint venture with our record company for releasing all of our recordings including long form videos. Per that agreement, as of today we have taken ownership of all of our master recordings and Blackened Recordings will be the home of all of our current albums and videos along with all future releases including the December 10 release of the "Quebec Magnetic” DVD and Blu-ray.

You may have heard us say it once or twice or a thousand times before, but it's always been about us taking control of all things 'Tallica to give you 110% on every single level every single time. Forming Blackened Recordings is the ultimate in independence, putting us in the driver's seat of our own creative destiny. We're looking forward to making more music and getting it all out to you in our own unique way.

blackened-recordings-logo.jpg

First Release:

Quebec Magnetic:

$14.99 Blu-Ray and DVD

Pre-order

Trailer

Metallica Quebec Magnetic: Track listing
1. That Was Just Your Life
2. The End Of The Line
3. The Four Horsemen
4. The Shortest Straw
5. One
6. Broken, Beat & Scarred
7. My Apocalypse
8. Sad But True
9. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
10. The Judas Kiss
11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Master of Puppets
13. Battery
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
16. Killing Time
17. Whiplash
18. Seek & Destroy

19. Bonus Songs
20. For Whom the Bell Tolls
21. Holier Than Thou
22. Cyanide
23. Turn the Page
24. All Nightmare Long
25. Damage, Inc.
26. Breadfan
27. Phantom Lord

Kaladin

I think probably the most interesting thing from this is that they own all of their master recordings as part of this deal. Not many artists who go indie can say that.

Metallica will always have a special place in my heart. AJFA was the first tape I ever bought as a wee lad and formed what has been a quite enjoyable foundation for my own personal musical tastes. That said I really can't stand where they've ended up artistically.

I'll certainly pass on this offering as I've passed on all of their recent works. Hopefully someone at the label (maybe Kirk) is still in touch and can find some sweet acts to put out. Also, that version of One in the trailer made me sad :(

You may have heard us say it once or twice or a thousand times before, but it's always been about us taking control of all things 'Tallica to give you 110% on every single level every single time. Forming Blackened Recordings is the ultimate in independence, putting us in the driver's seat of our own creative destiny. We're looking forward to making more music and getting it all out to you in our own unique way.

Right. Because 1) anybody would tell Metallica what to do creatively at this point and 2) Metallica would actually branch out into new creative territory on an independent label.

This is purely a money-making decision.

That DVD cover is terrible, I saw it the other day on ultimate-guitar and thought it was some terrible fan made garbage.

Whatever. Just get me more music at least as good as Death Magnetic, and don't compress it to fucking shit.

14.99 DVD
free on TPB

Okay...

zerotol

Banned
I just listened to 'kill em all' yesterday. And I actually thought that 'death magnetic' had some really good riffs on it. It will be interesting to see what their next record is like.

maxxpower

Blackened metal for everyone, blackened sludge, blackened thrash, blackened death metal, blackened black metal, blackened power metal, blackened doom metal.

MrHicks

Banned
Lars certainly is a tool, but what was wrong with that?

it kickstarted the whole batshit crazy "crusade" against music piracy
a crusade that has gone so far that people can have their lives ruined just cause they downloaded some albums

the RIAA will fucking destroy you financially if they catch you
"you downloaded 5 songs???????..........100.000 dollar fine!!!!! mhahahahaha eat that college boy"

the lawsuit madness had to end

ascii42

a crusade that has gone so far that people can have their lives ruined just cause they downloaded some albums

"you downloaded 5 songs???????..........100.000 dollar fine!!!!! mhahahahaha eat that college boy"

The lawsuits were outrageous. I don't know what they hoped to accomplish by that, apart from setting up a deterrent, but it's not like it's particularly hard to avoid downloading songs illegally. I used to, and then I stopped.

MrHicks

Banned
The lawsuits were outrageous. I don't know what they hoped to accomplish by that, apart from setting up a deterrent, but it's not like it's particularly hard to avoid downloading songs illegally. I used to, and then I stopped.

its just about taking a step back...take a big breath and look at the situtation

no person deserves their life ruined no matter how many songs they download
its just some fucking mp3's its ultimately meaningless

you don't destroy human lives for insignificant crap like some .mp3 files on some kid's pc
the RIAA are ruthless psychopaths

the punishment is out of proportion campared to the "crime"

You can't blame Metallica for the RIAA being allowed to do their insane lawsuits. Contrary to popular belief, Metallica never sued fans during the whole Napster suit. They went after Napster and certain campuses for refusing to block access to it.

I will never be able to comprehend the logic that musicians have no right to be pissed when people steal their work. They had an unfinished upcoming song leak. They had every fucking right to be pissed.

its just about taking a step back...take a big breath and look at the situtation

no person deserves their life ruined no matter how many songs they download
its just some fucking mp3's its ultimately meaningless

you don't destroy human lives for insignificant crap like some .mp3 files on some kid's pc
the RIAA are ruthless psychopaths

the punishment is out of proportion campared to the "crime"

Again, this has nothing to do with Lars or Metallica. You are blaming the RIAA and our shitty legal system on Metallica.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
their drummer kickstarted the whole crusade against napster
such a tool

Yeah, fuck them for wanting to control which of their songs are released and when.
EDIT: beaten

Deadstar

Awesome news. I hope they sign some great new bands that will push metal further than it ever has.

WE CHEW AND SPIT YOU OUT
WE LAUGH YOU SCREAM AND SHOUT
ALL FLEE WITH FEAR YOU RUN
YOU'LL KNOW JUST WHERE WE COME FROM!

Kaladin

I get people not liking them (different strokes). But, the hate they inspire will never cease to amaze me. They are the ultimate case study in the more popular you are, the more people will hate you.

Eh, as a Metallica fan who enjoys most of everything they have ever done. I've got used it to it. Seriously, I even sometimes like St. Anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom