• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game fan art -- when it's better than the official thing

I always used to not care about 'fan-art' -- usually involved artwork that ultimately didn't look as good as official art etc. etc.

But I was looking around and some pieces were really great, on par if not better than official work from the actual development team. It got me thinking on what I was missing out.

Here are a few decent ones - and by all means I'm interested to see some of the ones you've come across on the internetsss.

Witch_ICO_Paint_by_DragonFromBrazil.jpg

__Devil_may_cry___showdown_by_Babrus.jpg

the_new_Prince_by_nefar007.jpg

eXistor

Cygnus X-1 said:
Are you not aware of this one?
[samus picture]

Wasn't that one just basically traced from a photograph of that particular girl?

/edit: and here it is:

samuslookalikevn4.jpg

Okay they only used her face. The original picture is NSFW for those interested in that sort of stuff (type samus fanart in google ya perv).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Probably not better, but a massive amount of Blizzard fans have some crazy art skills.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
eXistor said:
Wasn't that one just basically traced from a photograph of that particular girl?

/edit: and here it is:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/269/samuslookalikevn4.jpg[img]

Okay they only used her face. The original picture is NSFW for those interested in that sort of stuff (type samus fanart in google ya perv).[/QUOTE]

Dude, her name is [B]Roberta Murgo[/B]. And she's fucking gorgeous.

dammit can't find it now on my harddrive but it's a picture of packman all high and in a rage on his pills looking back at a ghost. I got it from gaf. Anyone know what I am talking about? (sorry still drunk, it looks great though.)

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
eXistor said:
(type samus fanart in google ya perv).
Or just tineye the picture (nb: tineying is like googling a picture, using a picture instead of words).

Hesemonni

Banned
Gino said:
Is that fanart? it thought it was from retro.
Dunno really :D I've always thought it was fan art and somehow related to the then speculated Metroid Prime movie. But if somebody knows for sure, please do correct me!

54-46!

Nice thread :)

Final Fantasy VII

Metal Gear Solid

Metal Slug

Quake III Arena

I'll find some more stuff to add later :)

HK-47 said:

I still love this image, even though it doesn't correspond with Sylvanas' updated in-game image anymore. Also, because this image represents the "The Lady's Necklace" quest, which is the most awesome (and surprising) experience I've had playing WoW.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
You know just as well as I do that Neogaf has a no nipples policy... and it breaks my heart.
Then you link to it in a spoiler and specify that it's NSFW because there are nipples. Man up!

Also, not a valid reason for the cropping.
Have another one.

ashleycensor.jpg

'prefer the other one, but thanks nonetheless.

tineye doesn't have that one in its DB though.

Johann

You know just as well as I do that Neogaf has a no nipples policy... and it breaks my heart.

I'm pretty sure it is allowed for artistic and scientific purposes. As long as it isn't for "prurient interest."

Masklinn said:
Or just tineye the picture (nb: tineying is like googling a picture, using a picture instead of words).

Nevermind the pics, this is the best thing in this thread. I had no idea this existed!

pakkit

Banned
Johann said:
I'm pretty sure it is allowed for artistic and scientific purposes. As long as it isn't for "prurient interest."
I'm pretty sure undressing videogame characters just for the hell of it is pretty boner-fueled.

1353847526801bdcc1.jpg

luxarific

Nork unification denier
C- Warrior said:

Wow, I can't believe that's not official art, the artist has captured the look and feel perfectly.

There was a cool thread of Gears fanart by some Japanese guy awhile back. Some Gaffers are using his art as avatars. Really nice stuff.

Top Bottom