• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines has a $30 Season Pass, also PC version is not Steamworks?

4 Pieces of DLC at $10 each, telling you right from the start, thanks Sega

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/dlc/aliens-colonial-marines-season-pass/107753#productDetails

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/aliens-colonial-marines-season-pass/

"Hungry for more Aliens: Colonial Marines? Purchase the Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and get access to four downloadable content packages at a 33% discount! All add-on content packs are scheduled to be released from March through to summer 2013. The Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass will give you access to campaign content, additional multiplayer maps, new modes, character customisation and more!

If you purchase this Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass, all included content should be downloaded in-game and NOT from Steam, or you will be charged twice. Aliens: Colonial Marines game required (sold separately)."

This seems to indicate that the PC version will NOT be Steamworks like Borderlands 2 was?

Will multiplayer be Gamespy as well?

What are you doing Gearbox?

JDSN

Banned
The season pass costs $3 less than what the game is going on in some places on PC, nothing wrong about that.

I wonder if they'll have a pass for Wii U, or if they'll delay that version and release it in the summer with all the DLC included?

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Screw that. Season passes are total bullshit. Although at least it's not a online pass. so they're not blocking the online play at least.

aurahack

Neo Member
Or from any other company.

I don't know if I feel so strongly about that anymore now that the first Black Ops II DLC pack came out. It's... kind of great.

The concept is still inherently shitty, though. I don't know if I'm still up for buying something that forces me to dedicate myself to a game for a few months/a year.

Doesn't the fact that it's known to have Steam achievements imply that it is Steamworks?
Batman Arkham City had Steam achievements on the Steam version but still used GFWL for DLC.

That, and it requires activation on Steam.

I think they just awkwardly worded the warning about downloading stuff with a season pass.
It should not be possible to double-buy the DLC if it is only available as Steam DLC. What GreenManGaming wrote is only possible if they have their own internal DLC system or use GFWL for some reason.

Meesh

I wonder if they'll have a pass for Wii U, or if they'll delay that version and release it in the summer with all the DLC included?
Burke: This is so nuts. I mean, listen - listen to what you're saying. It's paranoid delusion. How - It's really sad. It's pathetic.

They'd better not do that, I don't wanna wait to get mah Aliens fix. :)

Glass Rebel

It should not be possible to double-buy the DLC if it is only available as Steam DLC. What GreenManGaming wrote is only possible if they have their own internal DLC system or use GFWL for some reason.

It's sometimes possible to buy the Season Pass (or any kind of bundle) AND the separate DLC though, which is most likely what they meant. Steam does this sometimes and I almost paid twice for a piece of Sleeping Dogs DLC.

Ridley327

It's sometimes possible to buy the Season Pass (or any kind of bundle) AND the separate DLC though, which is most likely what they meant. Steam does this sometimes and I almost paid twice for a piece of Sleeping Dogs DLC.

Yeah, it's not an exact science between companies.

Besides, what's more likely: that the warning was a bit awkwardly written, or that two well-noted Steam supporters would suddenly not use it?

Glass Rebel

Yeah, it's not an exact science between companies.

Besides, what's more likely: that the warning was a bit awkwardly written, or that two well-noted Steam supporters would suddenly not use it?

Yup, this one as well. Both Gearbox and SEGA use Steamworks for all their PC games.

AliensColonialMarinesCollectorsLarge.png

Not that it confirms much, but if Sega are using Steam in their marketing for retail DLC releases and not actually delivering Valve should step in.

No sign of the Steam logo on Sega's site.

Grief.exe

Doesn't the fact that it's known to have Steam achievements imply that it is Steamworks?

Nope. Steamworks means that any retail or DD copy is activated on Steam.

Steamworks features are not mutually exclusive, you can have achievements, steam cloud, etc in games that aren't Steamworks.

Games like Batman:AC, Max Payne 3, and The Witcher 2 aren't Steamworks but have some features thrown in.

Sometimes this gets confusing when Amazon and GMG acquire Steam keys for a game that isn't Steamworks. They have done these with Batman: AC, Far Cry 3, Max Payne 3, and more.

A couple of sources:

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/retailsupport.php

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/SteamworksBrochure2010.pdf

Waaghals

Seems that this is similar to the way Halo 4 handles season pass.

In order to get them for free you have to download it from within the game. if you go through the normal store you will be charged twice. It is probably still steam works

I haven't bought the season pass for borderlands 2 but is any of the dlc worth buying. I've really only heard the first one is good and the other 2 are meh

I haven't finished all of them yet, but they seem solid.

I haven't enjoyed any of them as much as the Zombie DLC from the first game, and they STILL haven't raised the level cap (I think they said it would happen in the past DLC). None of it is as shitty as the Mad Moxxi DLC, though. I'd say all of it so far has been about on par with the main game of Borderlands 2.

I do like the new loot that is included with the DLC's. I got some AWESOME loot from the Pirate DLC. If you want more Borderlands 2 then the DLC should do the trick.

This title's focus should be on giving me the long robust singleplayer campaign I've been waiting for instead of some crappy dlc maps for a multiplayer mode no one will be playing a month after launch.

beason52

Neo Member
This title's focus should be on giving me the long robust singleplayer campaign I've been waiting for instead of some crappy dlc maps for a multiplayer mode no one will be playing a month after launch.

If this is anything like the old AVP games (I can hope, right?), people will play for more than a month..

TaroYamada

Multiplayer in this game actually looks rather good to me. I don't even like the Aliens franchise but but the multi does look solid.

Ban Puncher

Pre-order cancelled, will wait for GOTY with all the tat included at a cheaper price.

Thanks for making it an easy decision, Sega and Gearbox.

MrDaravon

Borderlands 2 and Halo 4 were the last bastions of trust I had for any company doing Season Passes, and after how those have gone never, never again.

On top of that this is coming up front for a game that has had a very troubled and extended development and doesn't seem to be getting a lot of good press, and is coming from Gearbox (see: Borderlands 2). I think it would probably be a good idea for people to wait on this.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think it just means when you buy the Season Pass, you download the DLC from within the game and not from the Steam store.

Doesn't mean it won't be Steamworks.

antitrop

I'm certainly not pre-ordering all the DLC before I even know if the expensive game will be good or not. This one is certainly on shaky ground.

Top Bottom