• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Very good point. The amount of times someone has pressed the release button (or whatever) on the marketplace and accidentally put up dlc months in advance is comical at best.

Most recently accidentally releasing Crimson Dragon for a day, LOL.

Not saying they run a tight ship, I'm saying that everyone inside of Valve and anyone working at MS that would have been involved in this move would know that adding anything related to Halo to the registry would result in people knowing before an official announcement.

Tizoc

Why is KOF 'weird' bro? >8( So racist.

Let's not forget SNK's bad history with piracy. SNK should not consider releasing Neo Geo games...unless a video gamer is honest enough to drop the moolah for SNK.
I know I'd drop $10 for a Garou port with good online tho~

Agreed for the most part.

Halo 3 and KOFXIII are the only really surprising ones on that list.
Everything else was either already confirmed or suggested anyway.

And would Halo 3 really be that strange? The game is "old" now and MS could still make some easy money by throwing it on Steam.

This is probably legit.

Halo 3 coming to PC would be an admission from Microsoft that their screwing of the format for the past decade or so was the wrong decision and now they're going to have to dance to Valve's tune. I'd also question if either Microsoft or SNK would bother to spend resources to have a Windows port done (especially SNK, considering they don't have much resources and generally PC and Steam is an unproven format for fighting games).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not saying they run a tight ship, I'm saying that everyone inside of Valve and anyone working at MS that would have been involved in this move would know that adding anything related to Halo to the registry would result in people knowing before an official announcement.

How would they know that stuff would leak? Because previous stuff leaked and there's no way to guard against a leak?

2) The way this stuff leaked is different than any previous leak; previously if you added a game to Steam, you would list it as ValveTestApp if you wanted to avoid it leaking in this way. These games are all added as ValveTestApp. The reason we have the titles is because Steam now has community hubs, and the community hubs were not marked as ValveTestApp, so by linking the registry/database ID to the community hub ID, we could extract the product names.

I'd re-buy Halo 3 day one on Steam, I'll pay $60 for that amazing game. I trust the Steam community to keep the game alive, and even if they don't, Halo 4 at 60FPS <3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wasn't there something posted about MS pursuing ways to release content on Steam?
This seems to be linked

Well,
- GFWL being wound down
- Capcom (#1 GFWL partner) switches to Steamworks
- Recent 1st party XBLA games ported to Steam
- Patching GFWL out of previous GFWL-Steam releases.
- The job posting I mentioned in the OP about exploring further releases on Steam

So, yeah, I feel pretty confident that even if Halo doesn't come to pass, there's something occurring with MS-Steam's relationship :p

Are we also waiting for this?

You changed your argument.

Your original argument was that this is not likely real because the PR implications make it unlikely to be real. That is not a good argument.

Your new argument is that this is not likely real because it's too weird to be real. I agree it's very weird, that's why I put it in the thread title, and why the vast majority of people in this thread have been approaching it with cautious, skeptical optimism.

Grief.exe

The only thing that keeps me down on this is Microsoft is going to be in charge of porting.

GFWL
Horribly optimized
No FOV slider
No PC post-processing options
Tied to Windows 8
P2P online

I have always said I would take 3 or Reach in order to have a modern Halo on PC.

- GFWL being wound down
- Capcom (#1 GFWL partner) switches to Steamworks
- Recent 1st party XBLA games ported to Steam

Good day to be a PC gamer.

Microsoft Published XBLA policies are pretty good. They allow for a timed exclusive, then a port to other platforms.

Usually that ends up being PC since Steam seems to make the most profit.

shaowebb

KING OF FIGHTERS!?!
Oh God please be true...this might fix the net issues folks have with console. I WILL DOUBLE DIP ON THIS!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rovio's Developer Comp was added a day before the Steam Holiday Sale, so that is probably something that will come soonish.

and it's not like they aren't everywhere else on earth, and flight control and storm in a teacup and a variety of other light/mobile type games are on steam, so it's not like there's a reason to believe the content wouldn't be allowed.

No I have other arguments as well.

MS only puts the first party games on PC that they dont sell on 360. Fable, Viva Pinata.

MS has kept the games that will sell on GFWL. Halo 1 and 2. Gears of War.

In anticipation of what will no doubt be a huge increase in players of Halo 2's multiplayer ... MS is shutting down the servers?

MS sees PC gaming just as much as competition as the do Sony and Nintendos consoles. They have even paid 3rd party companies to delay games for PC. I don't blame MS for that. It's obviously in response to the crowd that said they could just buy a PS3 and gaming PC and have all the games.

Dr Dogg

Are we also waiting for this?

Well when people used to go poking around in the registry Valve started doing this.
oahpQyQ.png

Although as Stumpokapow mentioned now titles are tied to community hubs you can match the both together and hey presto.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MS only puts the first party games on PC that they dont sell on 360. Fable, Viva Pinata.

Except for all the XBLA stuff they've been porting, also Fable sells gangbusters but we'll ignore that.

MS has kept the games that will sell on GFWL. Halo 1 and 2. Gears of War.

Except that GFWL is being wound down, as we're seeing.

In anticipation of what will no doubt be a huge increase in players of Halo 2's multiplayer ... MS is shutting down the servers?

Admittedly I don't have an answer here. Move to a new online architecture? Releasing the game without online multiplayer? Part of the general wind-down of GFWL?

MS sees PC gaming just as much as competition as the do Sony and Nintendos consoles. They have even paid 3rd party companies to delay games for PC. I don't blame MS for that. It's obviously in response to the crowd that said they could just buy a PS3 and gaming PC and have all the games.

There are clearly times in their history where they have held this perspective. Your argument would not be out of place in 2008. Actually, in fact, your argument seems to be directly from 2008. Now does not appear to be one of those times. Whether or not this Halo stuff is real, they are actively involved in porting games that they published and pay for. Yes, after the 360 release. But they still port them. They also release stuff on iOS despite viewing iOS as a competitor to Windows Phone. Yes, after they release stuff on WP, but they still release it.

Vamphuntr

I don't see why this stuff wouldn't come eventually. Halo 3 is probably no longer a system seller for MS since ODST, Reach and 4 are out. This way they can more money from it.

I would me more surpised if 4 and Reach were on that list.

ArjanN

In the case of KOF it's really more like one new KOF game and two old roms they could easily throw in there.
(no offense, I love SNK games)

The only way these aren't new releases is if they're old entries they considered at the time and then didn't pan out, like Saw 2 and Final Fantasy 7.

Detox

If halo 3 looks like the screenshots and still has the online component with MLG playlist then I'll be in heaven

Fandangox

In the case of KOF it's really more like one new KOF game and two old roms they could easily throw in there.
(no offense, I love SNK games)

The only way these aren't new releases is if they're old entries they considered at the time and then didn't pan out, like Saw 2.

Edit: Never forget.

Grief.exe

Just FYI, we've had Halo 3 in 1080p since the game launched, just not in motion. The screenshot uploader uses some Bungie sorcery to take pseudo-bullshots, and they can look quite nice nice.

Here's one of mine from March 2008. I'm the puncher, not the punchee.

That really does look quite good.

I don't even see much in the way of aliasing, even where you expect to see some like on the shoulder pads.

Most be a lot of sorcery going on there.

Will look solid on just about any rig running at 1080p+ and 60fps+.

If halo 3 looks like the screenshots and still has the online component with MLG playlist then I'll be in heaven

Wouldn't you rather have dedicated servers running that ruleset?

I know I would.

HTupolev

That really does look quite good.

I don't even see much in the way of aliasing, even where you expect to see some like on the shoulder pads.

Most be a lot of sorcery going on there.
When your 360 is taking the screenshot, the game actually shows the image being slowly produced tile-by-tile. Basically, it's crazy supersampled.

Tizoc

Somebody keep an eye out for Skies of Arcadia, Burning Rangers, Daytona USA (or Scud Race) and just for the heck of it, Shenmue and Yakuza. You never know, SEGA's are really liking Steam and how profitable it can be for them.

Tain

yes yes YES

bring those TypeX games over

On the Sega front, the arcade version of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is a Windows game.

bring that over too.

Back when the Dark Souls PC internet petition started someone made a mockup of the Steam store page for DS. It looked so weirdly out of place but so amazingly awesome at the same time. Even more amazingly awesome is the fact that it's a reality today.

So even though I think it's crazy to see games like Halo 3 come to Steam totally out of nowhere, I think it's safe to say that stranger things have happened before.

Top Bottom