• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

I'm still trying to decide which Japanese music to listen to first. Looking for critically acclaimed albums.

I did listen to a woman, who sang in English, but her English is good, but isn't that great.

Is there a list of masterpieces, like Rolling Stone top 500 albums of all time? I'm looking for critically acclaimed albums that are as good or better than top 500 albums of all time. And boy did I find masterpieces in that list, such as In The Court of The Crimson King.

Whom?? this could be so many people.

Kurita

Currently listening to Negoto's latest album, ETERNALBEAT. Holy crap, I'm just 4 songs in but it's freaking great. Might top VISION if the rest of the album is as strong.

EDIT : finished it, second half was also pretty solid. highly recommended

Kansoku

Ehhhhhh. The album is not bad, it's pretty good actually. But it's pretty different from their usual stuff, in a baaaad way. It's way too synth heavy and way too mellow. DESTINY, Ribbon and シグナル are great, and reminiscent of their older stuff. The rest is fine, but just fine. I like the album, but I hope it's an one off, and they'll go back to their VISION sound.

when someone asks for "all time" recs, it's always interesting to see what people like to mention. As someone who's always listening to new stuff, when someone asks for classics, masterpieces, etc. in any given style of music it's important to step back and look for the ones that have stood the test of time. This of course doesn't give newer albums much of a chance, and the stuff that you're consuming the most of probably will seem not to get so much as a nod in the eyes of someone on the outside, so to speak. It's not really a reflection of the music, but the time it has been allowed to show how well it's held up and what audience it reached and stuck with.

that said. Two more I would highlight for the guy.

221e2b118747d3275673b708a9a0b570.1000x988x1.jpg

Flower Travellin Band - Satori

stump rec'd this one, I have to second. A legit really fucking amazing rock album and a classic in every sense of the word.

Sabbat - The Dwelling

this one is coming as a more personal rec, but if someone ever wanted to do so much as a top 10 Japanese metal albums and this wasn't there, I'd hella laugh. Seriously though this is a really amazing LP.

Kurita

Ehhhhhh. The album is not bad, it's pretty good actually. But it's pretty different from their usual stuff, in a baaaad way. It's way too synth heavy and way too mellow. DESTINY, Ribbon and シグナル are great, and reminiscent of their older stuff. The rest is fine, but just fine. I like the album, but I hope it's an one off, and they'll go back to their VISION sound.

That's what I liked! lol
The first 5 tracks blew me away, while Destiny is cool but too classic. I'd say I like this album as much as VISION, for completely different reasons.

--
SKY-HI / 「Over the Moon」
One of my favorite tracks from his latest album! Cool video.

I miss the guitars a lot too, but I haven't listened to it a ton so maybe it'll grow on me. I really loved Z'OOM and VISION and I remember thinking Asymmetry was just okay, so this isn't hugely surprising.

akileese

they're not technically dead. I think they want to keep going with a new singer.

24 years is a long time to make a change though. To me, it'd never be the same. I'm curious if they would keep going in a sort of 65daysofstatic sense with just music and no vocals. Musically they're absolutely brilliant and it would still work very well.

Kurita

New androp single, Prism, on May 10th!
01. Prism
02. Ryusei
03. BGM(single ver.)

They're moving to Universal with this release. Really hope this means more promotion/tie-ups for them, they deserve waaaaaaay more recognition.

Superfly will be releasing a 10th anniversary album on April 4th. Here's the website that shows the covers and what will be included on the 3CD and the limited 4CD collection:
Superfly 10th Anniversary
The covers are amazing, and looking forward to this very much but I'm also a bit worried she might be heading to the end of her career. She's been very quiet the last few months due to an illness involving her throat. I'm hoping she's recovering well and will come back but right now she's being very quiet :(

evanmisha

Which one? I didn't know she released anything lately.

Double A-side out today. One single from each side of the double album she's releasing. Meh

I haven't loved a Kumi song since 恋しくて... like 5 years ago.

I haven't loved one since Shake It in 2005.

EDIT: which I loved ironically

EDIT: unironically. The most brazenly sexual song and video combo I've ever seen to this day to the point of humor. I don't actually know where my love for that lands on the irony scale, to be honest.

EDIT: Okay, forgot that I LOVE her cover of the Cutie Honey theme for the '00s live action. So I did love a Koda Kumi song once. Apparently, my feelings toward her are complex and worthy of 3 edits.

neshcom

Banned
Double A-side out today. One single from each side of the double album she's releasing. Meh

I haven't loved one since Shake It in 2005.

EDIT: which I loved ironically

EDIT: unironically. The most brazenly sexual song and video combo I've ever seen to this day to the point of humor. I don't actually know where my love for that lands on the irony scale, to be honest.

EDIT: Okay, forgot that I LOVE her cover of the Cutie Honey theme for the '00s live action. So I did love a Koda Kumi song once. Apparently, my feelings toward her are complex and worthy of 3 edits.
Reminds me of JUICY from her Black Cherry album (not a single, but an album PV).

Dreaming Now is probably the last physical single from Kumi that I loved. I like her music but some songs are absolute love and the others can be absolute ugh.
Bon Voyage was a good album I enjoyed, Walk of my Life not so much but it did have a couple of good songs on it. So far from what I'm hearing of the two recent sneak peeks, I'm not too impressed. Hoping the rest will be good! The instrumental previews that were posted on Twitter sounded promising.

Zoe

Oh shit, yeah, I forgot about that 12 weeks of singles thing. Dang.

Actually Juicy was part of 4 Hot Wave.

The 12 weeks singles was kind of BS, but at least we got a PV for everything.
And I bought every single one along with Second Session >_>

Some English-translated reading material:

The second Ano interview from IDOL AND READ is pretty in depth and provides some rare insight into what she really thinks. I still kind of worry about her sometimes though.

In this world, words are everywhere, and of course some can bring salvation. But words are powerful enough to affect people’s minds — and so they are just as capable of inspiring hope as they can inspire despair. It’s so easy to blurt out a few words and hurt other people in the process. I truly think words are violent. That’s why there are times when I don’t want to be influenced by all of those things.
And that made me like music even more.

Also the first interview with new Especia member Mia Nascimento, which took place the day after they announced their disbandment.

The Ano thing is a good read.

There There Theres (previously BRGH) has a live show streaming on youtube right now but it's been on for like an hour with no sound. maybe the archive will be fixed?

LayLa

The second Ano interview from IDOL AND READ is pretty in depth and provides some rare insight into what she really thinks. I still kind of worry about her sometimes though.

thanks for this link, she's always been an enigma to me so v interesting to get some idea of how she thinks. Damn how many of these girls were bullied at school, a lot of the BiSH girls had similar stories in their interviews.

Also the first interview with new Especia member Mia Nascimento, which took place the day after they announced their disbandment.

Reading Erika's interview now. Geez, they knew they were disbanding back in October. So basically the new Especia was really only a thing for two and a half months. The move to Tokyo really fucked things up, I guess. Also, I don't know if it's an Especia thing or if all idol interviews are like this, but they're surprisingly frank about their disappointment at how things turned out. The interviews they gave when three members graduated last year were similarly upfront about how each of them saw their futures. I'd always assumed Japanese idol groups were practically forced to be all rainbows and sunshine, or at least vapid/quirky.

(though reading that Ano interview, that goes to some heavy places too)

Slowdive

Banned

I mentioned this before but Ano tweeted some depressing stuff and deleted it almost straight away last month, I feel bad for her. Something along the lines of she's lonley all the time, got hardly any friends, she doesn't trust anyone, she blames herself and all she can do is put on an act.

I really hope Mia doesn't just disappear.

The new Koda Kumi songs are pretty bad.

Aizo

Banned
How would you all feel about a Japanese Music GAF LINE group? If you're interested, send me your LINE IDs. I'll make a group. I just keep thinking I wish that there was an easier way to share stuff with you all more quickly.

Kurita

NEWS' recent singles has some top-notch catchy songs. Snow Dance is incredible.

Randomly heard it recently, it was pretty tight. I don't really pay attention to Johnny's bands that aren't Arashi (whose recent input is hit or miss, which is a shame after their great albums Popcorn and Love) and Kanjani8. Maybe I should keep an eye on NEWS.

Aizo

Banned
I met Ian Martin tonight and talked for a good while. Pretty cool guy, and he knows some really cool musicians. I think a bunch of you would have really enjoyed the show tonight.

Aizo

Banned
I talked to them after the show, and they're nice, too! They were amused that I used to live near their hometown. I bought the album, and I'll probably go see them play in March.

Rainy

Banned
ポルカドットスティングレイ「エレクトリック・パブリック」MV

NEW POLKA DOT SING RAY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHG

EDIT: I SEE MI LATE BUT NEVER TOO LATEE

EDIT2: THE LATEX SUIT I CANT BREATHHHH

FUCK honestly is this how those kpop fangirls or fujoshis feels towards their biases cause i get it now
I honestly feel the same way.

Top Bottom