• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy kills cop, tries to escape, and gets BEAT DOWN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/04/18/detective.killed.ap/index.html

You guys should check out the picture of the guy. Personally, I think it's pretty obvious he shot the cop (what, did the cop shoot himself?). Being that he's a cop killer, while they were being lenient and not fully arresting him like they could/should have done, I have no problem looking at the picture of his face if indeed it's the cops that did that to him. Good. Fuck him. Don't kill cops, stupid.

CNN said:
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (AP) -- A man charged with killing a detective with the officer's own gun during questioning at police headquarters was ordered held without bail Monday.

Esteban Carpio, 26, did not enter a plea in Providence District Court to a murder charge in the death of Detective James Allen.

His face appeared bruised and bloody, and was obscured by a white mask that covered the area from his chin to his eyes. Police have said he injured his leg, arm and head when he jumped from a third-floor window at the police building.

Carpio nodded his head in response to questions during his arraignment but did not speak, except to say, "I love you, Mom," as he was led out of the courtroom.

The murder charge carries a potential maximum sentence of life in prison without parole because it involves the killing of an on-duty police officer.

Authorities said Allen, 50, was shot Sunday in a conference room while he questioned Carpio about his possible involvement in the stabbing of an 84-year-old woman, who is expected to recover. Carpio was not under arrest at the time and had been taken out of handcuffs.

After the shooting, Carpio broke a window in an adjacent office and jumped out. He was captured a few blocks away, authorities said.

Carpio's mother and another woman wailed when he was brought into the courtroom Monday, hands and legs shackled and held by several officers. One yelled "Oh my God, look what they did to him." Officers wrestled both women out of the courtroom as they screamed about a coverup and police brutality.

Police Chief Dean Esserman would not say how Carpio managed to get Allen's weapon or discuss other details leading up to the shooting. He also would not discuss the protocols for carrying weapons inside police headquarters or for interviewing potential suspects, and would not say if there were witnesses.

Allen, a 27-year veteran of the force, was an experienced investigator and one of the department's longest-serving detectives.

"Jimmy Allen passed in the noblest way possible. He gave his life trying to make our lives safer," Mayor David Cicilline said. "He died a hero."

Michael Brady, an expert in police procedures who teaches at Salve Regina University in Newport, said every police station has so called "weapons secure" areas, where guns are banned. These generally include cell blocks and interrogation rooms, he said, but not areas such as detective conference rooms.

If Allen wanted to question Carpio, Brady said, it would not have been unusual for him to do so in a nonsecure area with his gun in his holster.

"This officer was not doing something very different than what police officers throughout the nation do every single day," he said.

Carpio had been trying to seek help for mental health problems, his family said. His grandmother, Jean Gonsalves, said he was "pacing, talking, seeing things."

Earlier this month, Carpio's mother, Yvonne Carpio, called police and had her son taken by ambulance to a hospital, Gonsalves told The Boston Globe. He was released that night, she said.

"We were trying to get him help, and it didn't seem to be there," said his brother, David Carpio.

The suspect alternately lived with his mother in the Boston area or with a girlfriend in Providence, according to published reports. The sister of Carpio's girlfriend said he has a 3-year-old child with his girlfriend and had a job, though she did not know where.

Security in government buildings has been a greater concern since March, when a man being tried for rape in Atlanta allegedly overpowered a guard and took her gun, then killed the judge presiding over his case, a court reporter, a deputy outside the courthouse and a federal customs agent.

Weeks earlier, the husband and mother of a federal judge were slain in the judge's home in Chicago.

aoi tsuki

i'm not saying Carpio is innocent or shouldn't be held responsibile for his actions, but...

Carpio had been trying to seek help for mental health problems, his family said. His grandmother, Jean Gonsalves, said he was "pacing, talking, seeing things."
As is usually the case, there's more to it than a headline.

DMczaf

vert.carpio.mask.ap.jpg

Holy shit, it's Darth Vader!

he fucking killed a cop and his mom is bitching about police brutality?

ugh i miss 70s anti heros

bxp70051.jpg

SM:OMG MY BABEE YOU EVIL LAW ENFORCERS HE ONLY KILLED A COP AND STABBED AN OLD LADY!!!!

039_8514.jpg

Bronson:.........

gunfire.jpg

applause.gif

i dont know what kinda whack job mothers are out there but if I killed a cop and stabbed an old woman my mom sure as hell wouldnt be in my defense over it.

nor would I if i had a kid that did that.

MIMIC

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
i dont know what kinda whack job mothers are out there but if I killed a cop and stabbed an old woman my mom sure as hell wouldnt be in my defense over it.

Well, if you confessed to it, probably not.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So, a man in custody tries to break out and in the process kills an officer with a firearm... how is this NOT grounds for physical force(read: kick his ass to the curb) in detaining him.

Drozmight

"Police have said he injured his leg, arm and head when he jumped from a third-floor window at the police building."

Yeah...huh.

darscot

I'm not surprised that so many of you feel he got what he deserved. I'm myself am totally skeptical. What's to say the cops didn't start beating the fuck out of him first. He was accused of stabbing an old lady. Cop start beating him, turns into a fight over gun some one gets shot. Looking at the state of him and apparent history of mental problems. I would have to hear a lot more about htis and think for a long time before I could pronouce him guilty.

I've had to sit through police "questioning" before and I knew I was innocent. With all the lies they tell and intimidation bullshit they pull on you. You really get confused and dont know what to think. You pull that shit on someone with mental health issues and your just asking for trouble. This seems more like a case of the police not realizing they needed medical advice and pushed the guy too far.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
darscot said:
I'm not surprised that so many of you feel he got what he deserved. I'm myself am totally skeptical. What's to say the cops didn't start beating the fuck out of him first. He was accused of stabbing an old lady. Cop start beating him, turns into a fight over gun some one gets shot. Looking at the state of him and apparent history of mental problems. I would have to hear a lot more about htis and think for a long time before I could pronouce him guilty.

I've had to sit through police "questioning" before and I knew I was innocent. With all the lies they tell and intimidation bullshit they pull on you. You really get confused and dont know what to think. You pull that shit on someone with mental health issues and your just asking for trouble. This seems more like a case of the police not realizing they needed medical advice and pushed the guy too far.

:lol :lol :lol

Right when I saw that it was you who replied most recently to this story, I just KNEW you were going to say the cops were bad and that the poor guy that shot the cop (while being questioned in an open room, NOT an interrogation room) is the poor old victim here.

darscot

For the record I think they both are the victim. I suspect the cop was probable just trying to do his job and he set the guy off. The police are not Doctors and he probable had no idea the guy had mental health issues. I never said I thought the guy was innocent I said I was skeptical and would need more information before I could pronouce him guilty. If he was a sane guy that shot a cop for kicks then I would agree he got what he deserved.

mrroboto

Banned
i actually give the cops alot of credit for simply just beating him.

they could have easily and i mean easily killed him and covered it up.

this scumbag deserved every punch and kick he got. feck him.

Xenon

yikes! Seems like this ass kicking came a few years too late. It's not going to bring back the cop who lost his life.

Fuck the mom for screaming brutality. Her kid is lucky to be alive.

For the record I think they both are the victim. I suspect the cop was probable just trying to do his job and he set the guy off

The biggest victim in this statement is common sense.

darscot

If the guy had mental health problems it's up to society to try and help him. It dosen't take a lot of common sense to realize that if his family was trying to get him help some how the medical system failed this guy. Like I already said the guy's mental health is a huge factor.

Brofist

I don't sympathize with cop killers, but don't pretend Americans don't live in a police state, and that a good deal of cops aren't corrupt either.

Vieo

From the news report last night, they said the cops claim that he got that way jumping out of the 3rd floor window of a building.

How bad could his face be under that mask? Maybe it's just there to protect it from infection?

Boogie

kpop100 said:
I don't sympathize with cop killers, but don't pretend Americans don't live in a police state, and that a good deal of cops aren't corrupt either.

Perhaps you need to be schooled about what a police state really looks like. :p

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
darscot said:
If the guy had mental health problems it's up to society to try and help him. It dosen't take a lot of common sense to realize that if his family was trying to get him help some how the medical system failed this guy. Like I already said the guy's mental health is a huge factor.

Here:
CNN said:
Earlier this month, Carpio's mother, Yvonne Carpio, called police and had her son taken by ambulance to a hospital, Gonsalves told The Boston Globe. He was released that night, she said.

Medical officials didn't think his 'mental health' was bad enough to keep him in a hospital, so I'm gonna guess that he probably knew better than to jack a cops gun and shoot him.

Brofist

Boogie said:
Perhaps you need to be schooled about what a police state really looks like. :p

Believe me, before I travelled a lot, and lived in other areas of the world I too thought passing by a cop every 2 minutes, seeing speed traps set up every 2 miles on highways, being routinely questioned and harassed etc... was normal too. Until you go to most place where the crime is lower, and the police are practically non-exsistent comparitively speaking.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
kpop100 said:
Believe me, before I travelled a lot, and lived in other areas of the world I too thought passing by a cop every 2 minutes, seeing speed traps set up every 2 miles on highways, being routinely questioned and harassed etc... was normal too. Until you go to most place where the crime is lower, and the police are practically non-exsistent comparitively speaking.

Unless one of your travels have taken you to a legitimate police state (China, Turkey, Singapore) then your argument doesn't really mean much.

I remember reading Drinky Crow write something awesome about wrath in a thread where people were angry. I think it was in a thread MAF made because Olimario thought some minors should be as eligable as adults are for execution.

I was actually on Olimario's side in that debate, but with the caveat that it was for equality reasons. In truth, I don't think anyone should face the death penalty. But I believe that sane people who know what they're doing when they commit a crime, should be treated the same as other sane people who knew what they were doing. My stance was that turning 18 doesn't magically make you mature or more stable. You can be a calculated sadistic fuck, or deranged mess before then. It happens. I don't think society should handle you based on how long you've been living. It should deal with you appropriately and consider everything.

In this case, and bare in mind that we don't know if all of his injuries are the result of a beating.... I feel that DCs comments about wrath are fitting. What does vengeance in this kind of violent form achieve apart from degrading the instruments of so called justice by allowing them to abuse their power? Provide a cathartic experience to a few cops so they can feel better about themselves?

It doesn't change a thing. The cop is still dead, and this guy still did it.

I know cop killers might typically get a bullet or a very hot chair for thanks, but showing this fucked up son of a bitch the patience and compassion he failed to show the dead officer, before throwing him away to regret it for the rest of his life was also an option. Even if he gets out someday, he's took one life and ruined his own.

Boogie

kpop100 said:

:lol

You're not supporting your case here.

OMG, HIGHWAY SPEED TRAPS, DAMN THE OPPRESSIVE AMERICAN POLICE STATE!!!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
aoi tsuki said:
As is usually the case, there's more to it than a headline.

As usual? What're ya talking about? Behind every single one of these cases is the 'ol "mental health" card.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
It doesn't change a thing. The cop is still dead, and this guy still did it.

Oh but it does do a lot. It's a form of punishment, because even if this guy is locked away, nothing will happen to him. Worst case scenario-- he goes to jail for 20 years where he's worshipped as a cop-killer. Best case scenario for the guy is he goes to a psych ward for 5 years, declared cured with a bottle of prozac, and then he's out walking the streets again. at least if the cops fuck him up so much that he's absolutely miserable, he'll understand why he shouldn't kill cops.

But this is coming from me, a person who think we should rebuild our prison structure to more accurately reflect the likes of Russia.

whytemyke said:
But this is coming from me, a person who think we should rebuild our prison structure to more accurately reflect the likes of Russia.

Well I ain't got any better solutions to prison problems :p

And personally -- I think there should be zero tolerance for various kinds of crime, and that should run through the whole of society. But I think that EVERYONE should be accountable to the law they live under, and that includes the police with no exception. Zero tolerance isn't to say I wanna see any criminal beaten to within an inch of his life by police. I want strong enforcement, non violent deterrants and harsher sentancing. Maybe it's only a matter of money and prison populations that actually stops all that from happening. I can appreciate disdain for the criminal, and obviously hate for a murderer, but I don't think much good really comes of things like this.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Just reading the story, it appears that the mother/family is not really dealing with reality. On one hand they are saying the man had serious mental problems, but then discounting that those mental problems could have caused him to do all the things the police accuse him of. Can't have it both ways. If his problems were bad enough to have him sent to a hospital in an ambulance, they were pretty bad. Also, to jump from a 3-story window, things have to be pretty f'd in your head. In the end, the guy probably neeed to be locked up in a psych ward, but if the families dealt with his mental problems with the same denial they are showing now, he never would have gotten the help he needed.

I don't care if you live in a "Police State" or not, if you kill a cop, prepare for a real beat down if caught.

Brofist

Boogie said:
:lol

You're not supporting your case here.

OMG, HIGHWAY SPPED TRAPS, DAMN THE OPPRESSIVE AMERICAN POLICE STATE!!!

convienient how you skipped the other points I made. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you've never been outside the US, not for long enough to form an opinion on the matter anyway.

it doesn't take long to accept your surroundings as the norm, especially when you have no point of reference outside where you grow up. If someone grows up in an environment where cops carrying automatic weapons is standard, they'll think nothing of it...doesn't make it ok though.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
kpop100 said:
convienient how you skipped the other points I made. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you've never been outside the US, not for long enough to form an opinion on the matter anyway.

it doesn't take long to accept your surroundings as the norm, especially when you have no point of reference outside where you grow up. If someone grows up in an environment where cops carrying automatic weapons is standard, they'll think nothing of it...doesn't make it ok though.

He didn't have to acknowledge any othe rpoints you made! Have you lived in a police state in your life? If not, then you don't know what its like to live in a legitimate police state, and thus cannot go around saying that US is a police state just because it's got more cops than Lichtenstein.

Boogie

kpop100 said:

Yep, you're going on quite a limb there, since I'm Canadian :lol Why do the idiots I argue with always assume I'm an American? :p

Police state = China, Iran, the Soviet Union, practically all of Eastern Europe before 1989 (especially East Germany), Nazi Germany, fascist Italy, etc.

There's a long fucking list of legitimate police states. The USA is not one of them. Although yes, there are doubtlessly problems with the American police system, the USA does have a legitimate rule of law, that probably works most of the time.

It is NOT A FUCKING POLICE STATE. You are throwing the term around without ANY appreciation for what a real police state is. Because you are "questioned and harrassed" by police officers does not make a police state.

Living in a constant state of fear because the police constantly spy on the citizens and have the right to arrest and torture you because you disagree with the goverment in power, now THAT'S a police state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom