• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

That was... pretty good. Felt like it had had a lot of rewrites and I suspect that it won't stand up to the slightest bit of fan scrutiny (ironically)

- I was expecting more on the Doctor/Heather parallels but they're just kind of... not commented on.
- The Doctor's instant flip from "I'm in disguise and I need to stay here" to "Let's go travelling" is presumably going to be followed up later but was really jarring. It didn't feel like it was established that the Doctor was looking for a companion (edit: to go travelling with)
- Daleks' contractual appearance (not a joke, actually a thing) is now out of the way.
- The idea of having a foster mum is a nice one. I hope they follow up on the Doctor taking that picture but I bet they don't.
- Bill and Nardole are great. If the rest of the writers understand their dynamic half as well as Moffat that should be good.
Pretty sure the Doctor turning up outside was a "much later" version of him, akin to 11 travelling back through his own timestream in The Pandorica Opens.

The lights were still on in his office, and when asked what changed his mind he said "Time... and relative dimension in space" — but the Time hung there just long enough.

MaKTaiL

Yeah 9 and 10 were great, but 11 and 12 are the two Doctors I see as being definitive Doctors.
It's very subjective. Eccleston/Tennant + Rose Tyler was, for me, the best Doctor Who era and nothing has topped it ever since IMO. Maybe it's because it was my first time seeing Doctor Who so it marked me for life. It introduced me to one of the greatest shows ever.

That "Coming Soon" preview was a whole lot of what the fuuuuuck. Exciting

Oh, and The Pilot is definitely one of the better companion intro episodes. Really well shot and tightly written.

Dalek

Proven by the fact they never appeared in series 6.

Ah but they did.

20111005075205-884b9873.png

tomtom94

FYI this is complete horseshit and not actually a thing.

I have to be honest I thought it had been confirmed and wasn't just a rumour.

It's still the only explanation I can come up with for the Dalek that turns up in The Wedding of River Song after a season of them being absent. I didn't object to their presence, although I have to admit to raising an eyebrow at the Dalek which missed Nardole at point-blank range.

Thought it was pretty good. Hated most of the last season, thought Capaldi didn't work at all but he worked great with both these companions, both of whom were great.

Platy

As someone who don't want to read the last pages because the episode will not be broadcasted today here ... what was the trailer spoiler ?

Is there a link to said trailer ?

Joqu

I really enjoyed that, boy have I missed Doctor Who. Bill's great! Is she really sticking around for just one season? :(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That was surprisingly good as a comeback. Bill is already better than Clara just by virtue of having a fleshed out background, and acting as a relatable anchor for the audience. Shame we went back to the old 'tech misunderstands human desires, goes nuts' trope right back from the Doctor Dances, but can't have everything.

PaulloDEC

I actually really enjoyed that. The "villain" was pretty vaguely defined, but I thought Pearl and Peter were on great form, and the story hummed along at a nice pace despite being a relatively low-key premise.

I've been pretty lukewarm (sometimes even cold) on Capaldi's era, but I'm feeling quite good about this season now.

Bluth54

I thought it was a very strong intro episode and Bill seems pretty great so far.
I wonder what's in the vault, maybe some Cybermen or something Master related?

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, it's great to have Doctor Who back.

I enjoyed it. Bill clicks nicely and Nardole's works.

After watching the end of last series on BBCA earlier today the brief touch of Clara's theme hit home.

And yes, I was looking closely to see if the Doctor's outfit changed. I think it's a future Doctor as well.

The episode was good, not great but I loved Bill. It is just refreshing to have someone new and an episode that isn't a special. Even Nardole wasn't that bad.

That was a really good episode. All of the humor hit really well, Bill was really good, and the episode flowed well. Cracked up when there was a random Movellan appearance. Because no one asked for it.

Between this and Doctor Mysterio, that's two straight good episodes from Moffat for the first time since the RTD era? I'm impressed.

Hoping we get a great season for Capaldi to go out with, and that Moffat can put together a good season this time to go out on.

Thought Bill was pretty fun, looking forward to seeing more of her definitely.

Gonna miss Capaldi. Been madly in love with his "anti-social person trying really hard to be good and succeeding" character.

Effect

That was great. I think if there is any one scene that shows just how much Capaldi's Doctor has grown has to be the pictures. His pairing with Bill and with Nardole in tagging alone is a lot of fun.

Belfast

Though I've been a long enough fan of the series, I'm not well versed in all the extracurricular lore. Not that Moffat doesn't seem to rewrite it on a regular basis, I suppose.

But is there any chance that puddle thing might've been some TARDIS juice? The parallels to being an oil leak from a car and having been left behind by a spaceship were just sort of left hanging there. Hell, exactly what that thing was, wasn't really answered at all which makes me think it will pop up again.

Add to that it's seeming ability to change shape (or camouflage itself), travel quickly through space *and* time, and the intimation that it sort of just followed Bill around (or tried to "invite" her along)... well, that makes me think of a simpler form of the relationship between the Doctor and his TARDIS.

If this substance is integral to allowing the TARDIS to do what it does, then it begs the question of whether or not another (probably) damaged TARDIS was on Earth. And if so, who was piloting it? Or was it the Doctor's, but from another time/incident.

It's been shown a few times that TARDIS maintenance isn't exactly the Doctor's strong suit, and thus, potentially, may not recognize said substance/creature.

Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but Moffat left too many hanging threads and offhand references to other Who concepts for me to think this won't all come back up again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Bill is great. Very endearing character so far.

Lynd7

Great first ep.

Seems like Capaldi will finally get a great season going off this and what seems to be coming up.

Shame he's out after this year..

sturmdogg

Wow. 1 episode and I already like Bill. Clara? She's pretty to look at, but something about how she was written turned me off on her.

Quick

Banned
Almost done now. And done.

That Clara theme in the end when Bill almost got her memory wiped.

giphy.gif

I like Bill a lot. That was a great episode to bring her in.

Getting a War Doctor vibe from Simm, purely for the goatee and the explosion on the preview for the season.

I already like Bill better than the last two, but the episode was mostly run of the mill plot. Not that I would have liked a convoluted way to make the new companion yet another vital piece of a cosmic puzzle or something, no more of that please.

That Clara theme in the end when Bill almost got her memory wiped.
I've watched the episode twice now. That scene has been waterworks both times. I think the 2nd time was worse.

I really like Bill and her way of questioning things. Also liking that she has a tough upbringing.
Her getting a box of pictures of her mom, heart breaking.
, well played Doctor

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I love Bill, she is refreshing on many levels.
1. Gay character
2. Lower to Middle class
3. Unhappy household

She is like Rose Tyler 2.0 (I guess 3.0 since Martha was basically Rose, but wealthy) without the the stupid romance angle

Though I've been a long enough fan of the series, I'm not well versed in all the extracurricular lore. Not that Moffat doesn't seem to rewrite it on a regular basis, I suppose.

But is there any chance that puddle thing might've been some TARDIS juice? The parallels to being an oil leak from a car and having been left behind by a spaceship were just sort of left hanging there. Hell, exactly what that thing was, wasn't really answered at all which makes me think it will pop up again.

Add to that it's seeming ability to change shape (or camouflage itself), travel quickly through space *and* time, and the intimation that it sort of just followed Bill around (or tried to "invite" her along)... well, that makes me think of a simpler form of the relationship between the Doctor and his TARDIS.

If this substance is integral to allowing the TARDIS to do what it does, then it begs the question of whether or not another (probably) damaged TARDIS was on Earth. And if so, who was piloting it? Or was it the Doctor's, but from another time/incident.

It's been shown a few times that TARDIS maintenance isn't exactly the Doctor's strong suit, and thus, potentially, may not recognize said substance/creature.

Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but Moffat left too many hanging threads and offhand references to other Who concepts for me to think this won't all come back up again.

A tardis shouldn't leave burn marks like that though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That girl being shown sitting in the classroom in the beginning, for like a second. Please give her more screentime.

Please?

edit Hooray!

Kevin

The episode was alright. Standard cookie cutter affair at this point that doesn't really do anything totally new but it wasn't bad. Steven Moffat has written some wonderful episodes of Who in the past but I do get the impression that he is tired, out of ideas or simply bored with writing Who episodes.

I am still excited for more Who but I am hoping that the next showrunner, at the very least will mix things up a bit (though the episodes he's credited for leave more to be desired...).

Season 9 had a few strong episodes so I'm hoping the same for season 10. Peter Capaldi is always amazing though and he will be highly missed. I am worried about who the new Doctor will be but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Here's to hoping for an overall strong season 10 and a positive future for Who moving forward!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I like Bill. Not my favorite companion yet but she's incredibly cute and has a good chance of being in the top two soon.

The "you have to use Daleks every year" thing was definitely a thing back in the RTD era stipulated by Nation's estate (never forget, the new series nearly never had Daleks at all as the Nation estate were enormously aggressive negotiating the rights) but we've never really heard from Moffat if it's still a thing. The series 6 cameo has always made me think that it's the case though.

Top Bottom