• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Delay-Age (Metroid Other M and S&P 2 Delayed)

Just got an official email from work about two of Nintendo's biggest profile games of the year, Metroid: Other M and Sin & Punishment 2 being delayed.

Metroid: Other M has changed from being released on 6/27 to 8/31.

Sin and Punishment 2 has changed from being released on 6/6 to 6/27.

Why, Nintendo? WHY?

Edit: Updated Metroid date to reflect the newly released date, as well as full press release following:

Nintendo said:
NINTENDO UPDATES RELEASE SCHEDULE

Nintendo today updated information for some of its key upcoming software releases, including several new titles that previously had not been dated. Sin & Punishment™: Star Successor and Metroid™: Other M will now launch for Wii™ on June 27 and Aug. 31, respectively. The coming months will also be packed with releases for the WiiWare™ and Nintendo DSiWare™ services, highlighted by the wild interactive fun of Photo Dojo™, which will be available as a free download to all Nintendo DSi™ owners with broadband Internet access from May 10 through June 10. Starting June 11, the game will be available for 200 Nintendo DSi Points™.

For Wii:

• Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii, June 27): The incredible new shooter game from legendary developer Treasure, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor features nonstop action with two playable characters and international online leaderboards to track high scores. Using the Wii Remote™ pointer functionality, the game offers unprecedented precision in the shooter genre. Broadband Internet access is required for online features.

• Metroid: Other M (Wii, Aug. 31): Developed for the Wii console through a collaboration by Nintendo and the world-renowned Team Ninja, this newest installment of the Metroid saga looks at the classic franchise from a new perspective: While much of the game is reminiscent of 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran's past. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote controller, held sideways, to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages.

For WiiWare and Nintendo DSiWare (broadband Internet access is required):

• Photo Dojo (Nintendo DSiWare, May 10): Get ready for some seriously fun Kung Fu action – starring you! Create your own characters and record the sound effects using the Nintendo DSi system's camera and microphone. Use your imagination to set the stage for a fun-filled fight to the finish. In a special introductory offer, Photo Dojo will be available for free download via the Nintendo DSi Shop from May 10 to June 10. Starting June 11, the game will be available for download for 200 Nintendo DSi Points.

• Earthworm Jim (Nintendo DSiWare, Gameloft, May 10): The classic action platformer is back with a never-before-seen feature, exclusively on the Nintendo DSi system. Run, gun, swing from hooks with your head, launch cows, bungee jump, rocket through speed levels and more, in crazy universes that offer huge game-play possibilities. Earn bonuses with facial expression-based challenges that track your face using the Nintendo DSi camera. Put on a smile, frown or make a variety of other faces to mimic Jim.

• BIT.TRIP RUNNER (WiiWare, Aksys Games, May 17): Marking the first character-based adventure for CaptainVideo, the newest installment in the BIT.TRIP series features rhythm-based action platforming, more than 50 challenges to complete and a pounding chiptune-inspired soundtrack.

• Looksley's Line Up™ (Nintendo DSiWare, May 17): In this unique take on hidden picture games, Looksley the rabbit needs your help to find inspiring objects so he can finish the story he's writing. The objects are hidden in 3-D dioramas made up of cutout layers that shift as you move the Nintendo DSi system. Unique Nintendo DSi camera-based controls let you peer deep into the game's scenes and hunt for hidden objects just by moving the Nintendo DSi.

• Frogger Returns (Nintendo DSiWare, Konami, May 17): Frogger Returns takes the challenge of the arcade classic Frogger and brings it to the Nintendo DSiWare service for the first time. Classic top-down 2-D game-play is updated with colorful 3-D graphics, a new perspective, new levels, new enemies and game-changing power-ups to dodge and grab.

• Metal Torrent™ (Nintendo DSiWare, May 24): Compete with players around the world for the highest score in this new action game inspired by classic arcade shoot-'em-ups. Convert enemy bullets into score-generating cubes. Continuously absorb cubes to create score-accelerating combos. Download replay videos from top players via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection, or if you make the top five scores, upload your own video.

• X-Scape™ (Nintendo DSiWare, May 31): Take on an epic space adventure in X-Scape. As captain of the VIXIV, a highly advanced space tank, you'll roam the surface of dozens of alien worlds, battling the forces of an empire that is out to destroy you. The touch screen makes controlling your vehicle a snap, and your helpful robot companion is there every step of the way to help you with advice and weapon upgrades.

• Hero of Sparta (Nintendo DSiWare, Gameloft, May 31): Battle like the fierce Spartan warrior you are to avoid a tragic death as you journey through mythical lands and even probe the depths of the Underworld. You will fight the most phenomenal monsters from mythology, defy Minotaurs and the Cyclops, and challenge the gods themselves!

• Flametail™ (Nintendo DSiWare, June 7): Clean up the space lanes of floating garbage with the starship Flametail. As you wind your way through the mind-bending obstacle course, your flaming tail will ignite the piles of rubbish to eliminate them. But be careful to not get caught in a dead end, or let the barrier that's following you reach your tail. This puzzle action game is easy for anyone to pick up and play.

• A Kappa's Trail (Nintendo DSiWare, June 14): Guide a little mythical river spirit to the human world with your Nintendo DSi stylus in this puzzle adventure. Draw a trail, and the little "kappa" will follow. It's up to you to ensure he makes it through the gauntlet of enemies and treacherous paths of the Kappa Trail.

TunaLover

Nice. Honestly this year has been really harsh with my wallet, the 1st quarter was insane, I still need some more time to keep up my library =P

Natakuu

Banned
I wonder if whatever they had planned for release this holiday is going to take a bit longer so they're looking to push Metroid into that slot? That or Metroid is just running behind schedule.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
WTF?!?!?!?

They better not be pushing Metroid: Other M back to be their "Holiday-Core" title because Zelda Wii isn't ready.

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah but that's your natural station in life. We're supposed to be treated better, it's cosmic law.

Yeah, OK. Now excuse me, I'll go back to waiting for Sin and Punishment 2 to come out next month. :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
hrga45.gif

Not too surprising, honestly. Having Galaxy 2, S&P2, and Other M coming out within a little more than a month of each other seemed too good to be true. Sucks, but at least there's Galaxy 2.

What really sucks is the fact that they had all sorts of previews in the May issues of video game magazines trying to hype up the June release. I'm sure magazines aren't going to re-preview the game closer to release time to hype it up again.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have enough of a backlog, and future playtime with Monster Hunter 3, to let this delay go without a whine or a sigh.

Skiesofwonder said:
WTF?!?!?!?

They better not be pushing Metroid: Other M back to be their "Holiday-Core" title because Zelda Wii isn't ready.

that would make sense to me. Two months from release Metroid should basically be done. So they'd only delay to fill a gap.

Mafro

Oh goody.

EU never had an officially confirmed release date, but now we'll have to wait even longer, no doubt.

Quick, someone post the Reggie pic!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
jetpacks was yes said:
that would make sense to me. Two months from release Metroid should basically be done. So they'd only delay to fill a gap.

Hopefully that gap is July-October, Zelda Wii is November, and Vitality Sensor game is thrown in somewhere between.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Hooray!! For S&P2... its not being sent to die... just languishing.

Hmmm.... for M:OM... does it need more time in development or is it filling the hole for something else that's been delayed?

:lol @ the idea of Metroid filling in for Zelda.

Jackano

I agree. Other M delay == Zelda delay.
Maybe there is still a tiny hope for you Americans, but for Europe, Other M date is going to be dramatically too close to the holiday season... Sort of a point of non-return here :(

farnham

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
WTF?!?!?!?

Jackano said:
I agree. Other M delay == Zelda delay.
Maybe there is still a tiny hope for you Americans, but for Europe, Other M date is going to be dramatically too close to the holiday season... Sort of a point of non-return here :(

metroid is not big enough for that

especially in europe.. even with wii relax nintendo will need a solid title to go along with it and i dont think nintendo will take the risk and go with other m only.

i believe that it will be delayed by a few month tops

Well, that'll give us more time for Galaxy anyways. Metroid being TBD is unfortunate, but I guess I'll have time to clear out some of my backlog now.

TunaLover

I doubt that Zelda Wii will be released this year, they need polishing the hell out that game. Metroide: Otra M could fill the gap though.

Mafro

I always did think that the SMG2 and MOM release dates were strangely close together. Hope it's nothing substantial, and it's just been moved to July/August.

Sadist

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah but that's your natural station in life. We're supposed to be treated better, it's cosmic law.
Oh you Americans. This is why it got delayed in the first place.

Top Bottom