• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: Behind the scenes look (video) [Up: 1080p/60fps]

Revson

Small bump. There's been lots of discussion about graphics and cars/tracks, but not much about changes to the online portion of the game.

To those who enjoy painting, hotlapping, racing online and tuning, what changes are you hoping to see in Forza 5?

A few of mine would be:
-Raise the layer limit for painting by a substantial margin. The removal of the layer glitch in 3 & 4 drove many of the best artists away from the game.
-Allow cars sold in the auction house to be resold on the auction house. There was a very active segment of the community in Forza 2 that loved collecting rare cars that people had made. Taking away the ability to gift or resell won in auctions completely ruined the game's economy.
-Provide better support for online racing. The addition of quick matchmaking via the hoppers resulted in a sharp decline in online race quality and etiquette. Make it easier to report crashers in-game, and the punishments more severe.
-Bring back tuning in lobbies. The original reason for taking this great feature out was because it made the game freeze more often. Forza 3 & 4 freeze twice as much in lobbies than Forza 2. Just bring it back.
-Fix the leaderboards. You cannot view what cars people are in outside of the top 100 because the leaderboard just repeats the top 100 when you scroll down. Not to mention the glitched times all over the place.
-Actually test and balance car/part mechanics within the game. I don't want to have to drive a car with drag tires on circuits, or a car that bangs off the limiter halfway down every straight.
-Bring back a U-class equivalent. Bringing non-racecars into the R classes made 50+ racecars useless competitively. An ultra production class would allow R3 and R2 racecars to compete again.
-Get rid of x class. What a useless class.
-Add sector times to the tracks. I want to be able to see sector times to better understand where the time is on each track.

Can probably think of much more. What about you guys?

(Sorry for the long post, typing this from my phone took forever)

1080p / 60fps. Im not going to get excited for them actually doing their jobs. It effin better be running at that. For ALL games coming to XB1/PS4 better run at that or the developers are just lazy and/or half assing their jobs.

m23

1080p / 60fps. Im not going to get excited for them actually doing their jobs. It effin better be running at that. For ALL games coming to XB1/PS4 better run at that or the developers are just lazy and/or half assing their jobs.

Majority of games announced so far are not running at 1080p/60 fps. Yeah.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Small bump. There's been lots of discussion about graphics and cars/tracks, but not much about changes to the online portion of the game.

To those who enjoy painting, hotlapping, racing online and tuning, what changes are you hoping to see in Forza 5?

A few of mine would be:
-Raise the layer limit for painting by a substantial margin. The removal of the layer glitch in 3 & 4 drove many of the best artists away from the game.
-Allow cars sold in the auction house to be resold on the auction house. There was a very active segment of the community in Forza 2 that loved collecting rare cars that people had made. Taking away the ability to gift or resell won in auctions completely ruined the game's economy.
-Provide better support for online racing. The addition of quick matchmaking via the hoppers resulted in a sharp decline in online race quality and etiquette. Make it easier to report crashers in-game, and the punishments more severe.
-Bring back tuning in lobbies. The original reason for taking this great feature out was because it made the game freeze more often. Forza 3 & 4 freeze twice as much in lobbies than Forza 2. Just bring it back.
-Fix the leaderboards. You cannot view what cars people are in outside of the top 100 because the leaderboard just repeats the top 100 when you scroll down. Not to mention the glitched times all over the place.
-Actually test and balance car/part mechanics within the game. I don't want to have to drive a car with drag tires on circuits, or a car that bangs off the limiter halfway down every straight.
-Bring back a U-class equivalent. Bringing non-racecars into the R classes made 50+ racecars useless competitively. An ultra production class would allow R3 and R2 racecars to compete again.
-Add sector times to the tracks. I want to be able to see sector times to better understand where the time is on each track.

pretty good list. i'll add one that immediately pops into my head:
- tracks god damned it. and DLC ones too. and positano full. camino extreme reverse.
- fix the dirty lap (!). make it more consistent so you always know exactly what is considered clean and what is not. make laps that are dirty (!) only affect the next lap when they occur within a portion of the track that could lead to additional speed into the next lap (typically the final corner(s), not some randomly chosen section of track eons before the finish line.
- lap telemetry AND the ability to compare with telemetry data of anyone on a leaderboard with the POWER OF THE CLOUD.

p3tran

Banned
I see we started the Santa-clauss list again. :D
very well, add my

-leaderboards per car / per category with CLOUD POWER.
-better data for upgrades and better parity to real life.

and because I've been a good boy, dear santa I also add
-ability to create and organize your own events, and distribute them for others to compete
-working christmas tree (if drag races did not get axed for 5)

saladine1

Look, all I know is that motherucking BATHURST and AUSSIE CLASSICS better be in.
All will be forgiven if they are in.

I can't take anymore disappointments Turn 10.
I can't.
I just can't.

PO0jlXZ.gif

SparksBCN

Neo Member

If developers can achieve better graphics by sacrificing framerate or resolution, bet your ass they will do it. It's not a matter of being lazy or half assing their jobs, it's a matter of how you use the available power.

Bobnob

You cant just have a percentage that makes sense.
For example, I am sure that the people that do forza physics spend around 0% of their time working on autovista.

I meant Turn 10 Dev team as a whole.We can do that in man hours.

Also collision detection in GT was really bad in my opinion.

HokieJoe

pretty good list. i'll add one that immediately pops into my head:
- tracks god damned it. and DLC ones too. and positano full. camino extreme reverse.

YES! Go back and play PGR2 Turn10. Take special note of the track variety and quality. I want a mix of city circuits and actual race tracks!

Heck, just copy every feature of PGR2, bolt Forza 5's driving physics, race tracks, and graphics on top, and call it day! You'll have done your job quite well. Oh, and offer Paris and Long Beach map/car packs as DLC.

Thanks

Seanspeed

Banned

A few of mine would be:

I like most of that.

Tuning in lobbies is important and should be doable with dedicated servers. Really miss that.

And they need to make user created lobbies a headline feature and not just shove it down to the bottom of the list in the online menu. I dont mind matchmaking, but it shouldnt be given more importance. The online racing community back in FM2 was the best largely because it was all user created lobbies, even with the relatively bad graphics, less cars, limited track selection and AWD dominance balance issue.

Revson

I like most of that.

Tuning in lobbies is important and should be doable with dedicated servers. Really miss that.

And they need to make user created lobbies a headline feature and not just shove it down to the bottom of the list in the online menu. I dont mind matchmaking, but it shouldnt be given more importance. The online racing community back in FM2 was the best largely because it was all user created lobbies, even with the relatively bad graphics, less cars, limited track selection and AWD dominance balance issue.

I agree, but I think Turn 10 is still going to put more emphasis on the hoppers sadly.

Custom lobbies in Forza 2 were amazing. I raced A class pretty much every day back then. Forza 2's AWD's were a bit overpowered, but there were still quite a few RWD that could compete. In Forza 4 tons of cars in the lower classes can run quick times, the problem is 80% of them are terrible to drive, and the performance gap between ok cars and good cars is huge. They need to look into making AWD and FWD more competitive again, and make the cars grippier overall. I know it's probably not that simple to fix, but the best time you can achieve in Forza should always be faster than the best times IRL. The HKS Evo CT230R has done a 53.589 on Tsukuba IRL. In Forza 4, with a perfect lap you'd be lucky to get a 55.7xx. That's quite a lot of time for such a small track.

Shaneus

Look, all I know is that motherucking BATHURST and AUSSIE CLASSICS better be in.
All will be forgiven if they are in.

I can't take anymore disappointments Turn 10.
I can't.
I just can't.

PO0jlXZ.gif
Not gonna happen. You know what's guaranteed to have them, though? pCARS. At least some of them. Hell, at least you'll be able to drive around Bathurst in a current-day V8 Supercars Falcon (Ford's Car of the Future has already been announced).

Xanadu

Banned
Not gonna happen. You know what's guaranteed to have them, though? pCARS. At least some of them. Hell, at least you'll be able to drive around Bathurst in a current-day V8 Supercars Falcon (Ford's Car of the Future has already been announced).

sms actually really care about what the hardcore wants, without EA's reign of course

SparksBCN

Neo Member
sms actually really care about what the hardcore wants, without EA's reign of course

Their development model allows them to care about what the hardcore wants, simple as that. You can't compare a small crowdfunded development with a Microsoft-backed one.

Jamesways

Their development model allows them to care about what the hardcore wants, simple as that. You can't compare a small crowdfunded development with a Microsoft-backed one.

You're so spot on with this. MS has the right idea to garner the most sales. The demographic testing group now (age 5 to 90) is so key. I really resonate with Turn 10's target audience, and they're right. That car IS way too blue! That track does have too many turns in it! There's just too much racing on tack, it's too hard and it's too boring, I don't want to spend money on a racing game to JUST race around a track. Who wants that these days? People definitely need more cutscenes or things like autovista so they can look at cars, not just some, but ALL the cars! Yeah! That's way more important that tracks a lot of people haven't heard of.

SMS, HA! What fools to listen to what hardcore racing fans want. 60fps, dynamic time of day/weather effects, and night racing. Pfft! A large track list, come on! Who wants that?

Haven't Codemasters or Monumental taught anyone anything? Water down your core gameplay to grab as many casual fan dollars as you can across many platforms. Oh wait, Grid and Dirt sales are on the decline, and Monumental went out of business with that philosophy with MotoGP. Guess that alienates your core audience and doesn't really sway the non-racing fan. Ah well, sim racing games are a dying niche market anyway.

I don't care what a motorsport fan wants, I'm WAY more interested in what housewives and kids think of the game! After all, that's where the money is...
Well, that and the healthy monthly car pack DLCs.

Har har.

Yep, full on sarcasm and many beers tonight. But god I hope they release a good sim orientated game. Big track list, all that.

Mascot

You're so spot on with this. MS has the right idea to garner the most sales. The demographic testing group now (age 5 to 90) is so key. I really resonate with Turn 10's target audience, and they're right. That car IS way too blue! That track does have too many turns in it! There's just too much racing on tack, it's too hard and it's too boring, I don't want to spend money on a racing game to JUST race around a track. Who wants that these days? People definitely need more cutscenes or things like autovista so they can look at cars, not just some, but ALL the cars! Yeah! That's way more important that tracks a lot of people haven't heard of.

SMS, HA! What fools to listen to what hardcore racing fans want. 60fps, dynamic time of day/weather effects, and night racing. Pfft! A large track list, come on! Who wants that?

Haven't Codemasters or Monumental taught anyone anything? Water down your core gameplay to grab as many casual fan dollars as you can across many platforms. Oh wait, Grid and Dirt sales are on the decline, and Monumental went out of business with that philosophy with MotoGP. Guess that alienates your core audience and doesn't really sway the non-racing fan. Ah well, sim racing games are a dying niche market anyway.

I don't care what a motorsport fan wants, I'm WAY more interested in what housewives and kids think of the game! After all, that's where the money is...
Well, that and the healthy monthly car pack DLCs.

I can imagine Dan saying all of that with a perfectly straight face.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
why cant t10 fight back a little? polyphony have done so to sony in the past

If Bungie is to be taken seriously, there's no possible fight, Microsoft being quite dictatorial.

I'm quite excited for Project CARS and I'm a full member since november 2011, but they just can't be compared. SMS doesn't have a fixed deadline and the release date went from "sometime in 2013" to "sometime in 2014", so they have all the time to implement whatever they want, and a large base of members who are testing the game reporting bugs. The game is a huge performance hog and you need quite a decent PC setup to run it smoothly, to the point that I'm pretty sure the console version will be almost a different game.

Meanwhile Turn 10 has to deliver a polished game on a fixed date and they haven't much freedom. We could argue about features like autovista for all cars being not necessary, but what attracts the main audience (not people like us posting here) is graphics, shiny cars and a huge carlist, not a racing oriented sim with loads of tracks, that's the sad truth I'm afraid, and that's what I look for my racing fix in other projects (I'm excited for Assetto Corsa as well) instead of asking Forza to be something it never will be.

p3tran

Banned
You're so spot on with this. MS has the right idea to garner the most sales. The demographic testing group now (age 5 to 90) is so key. I really resonate with Turn 10's target audience, and they're right....
Since we cant turn back time yet and be five years old again, good news is that as we reach our golden years, we will find forza more appealing.
Microst and dan made sure aboutthat. So no worries. While other 70year olds will be fishing, we will be rocking forza prague and all that.. :D

Mascot

Meanwhile Turn 10 has to deliver a polished game on a fixed date and they haven't much freedom. We could argue about features like autovista for all cars being not necessary, but what attracts the main audience (not people like us posting here) is graphics, shiny cars and a huge carlist, not a racing oriented sim with loads of tracks, that's the sad truth I'm afraid, and that's what I look for my racing fix in other projects (I'm excited for Assetto Corsa as well) instead of asking Forza to be something it never will be.

All we want is for Forza Motorsport to be what it used to be: a game focussed on racing and motorsport.

Ain't gonna happen though.

TJP

Yep, full on sarcasm and many beers tonight.
You should post after a few beers more often Jamesways as that was quite funny to read. Still shitting on MotoGP 10/11 I see - last free game you're getting from me 8P

I'm quite excited for Project CARS and I'm a full member since november 2011, but they just can't be compared. SMS doesn't have a fixed deadline and the release date went from "sometime in 2013" to "sometime in 2014", so they have all the time to implement whatever they want, and a large base of members who are testing the game reporting bugs.
I'm a CARS member too and it's shaping up nicely. My only issue is the number of tracks I've seen from their previous sims. Would like to see a few little or unknown real world tracks.

that's what I look for my racing fix in other projects (I'm excited for Assetto Corsa as well) instead of asking Forza to be something it never will be.
I am in the exact same postion and AC is my most anticipated sim. I have a gaming PC for racing sims to provide the full sim racing experience and use the console sims for their car rosters etc.

Mascot

Please elaborate?

Really? You need elaboration as to why a game with 'Motorsport' in the title misses the 'motorsport' mark by such a wide margin? Just have a look at the content and features. Forza is now a car culture game, a jack of all trades. The racing is almost an afterthought.

I dunno, maybe the focus is deliberately blurred to avoid alienating those 90-year-old grandmothers with cataracts that Dan wants to woo so badly.

Pepto

Banned
Really? You need elaboration as to why a game with 'Motorsport' in the title misses the 'motorsport' mark by such a wide margin? Just have a look at the content and features. Forza is now a car culture game, a jack of all trades. The racing is almost an afterthought.

Didn't you also say that drifting and drag racing should be removed from the 'motorsport' game? Is this a case of oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg?

Mascot

Didn't you also say that drifting and drag racing should be removed from the 'motorsport' game? Is this a case of oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg?

In their current half-assed format they don't deserve to be in any game, but yeah, I feel they'd be a better fit for Forza Horizon.

saladine1

You know, I was thinking.
With all the reversals on MS's part, could we also see some kind of reversal on existing wheels being able to work on the Xbox One?

I mean, they changed their minds on things that were pretty much thought of as 'unchangeable' such as always online and always on Kinect. Surely the 'minor' detail of whether current wheels can work on the One shouldn't be that big of a deal to also change right?

Xanadu

Banned
With all the reversals on MS's part, could we also see some kind of reversal on existing wheels being able to work on the Xbox One?

I mean, they changed their minds on things that were pretty much thought of as 'unchangeable' such as always online and always on Kinect. Surely the 'minor' detail of whether current wheels can work on the One shouldn't be that big of a deal to also change right?

i cant believe MS would screw over loyal fans who bought a 600 dollar wheel for forza like that

Mascot

It'd be great, but I don't think it'd be enough for me to deviate from my two-year plan. But then again, maybe it would...

I think all sorts of exclusivity deals have probably been done with Thrustmaster, though.

i cant believe MS would screw over loyal fans who bought a 600 dollar wheel for forza like that

I didn't buy a Fanatec for Forza alone (but did flog the G25 to help fund it) it's still a better wheel than the Logitech and works on PC and PS3.

Never expected compatibility next gen so the news didn't come as a shock but there's some frustration in thinking that only a difference in wireless protocol is stopping it.

amar212

...but there's some frustration in thinking that only a difference in wireless protocol is stopping it.

Protocol will almost certainly be same, Xinput.

Difference will be assignement schemes for XBone compared to X360. Nothing unsolvable.

But licensing money from Thrustmaster.. well, that is probably another story.

Would you buy new Xbone Thrustmaster wheel if your GT2 would work with Xbone? Would I buy it on top of my CSRE? Would any Fanatec owner buy it?

It will be interesting development.

Sold the GT2 to fund the CSRE ages ago and as for getting the Thrustmaster...I dunno.

No room here for 2 wheels, selling the CSRE would cover the cost but almost certainly lose PS3 compatibility, possibly PC too. It's a shitty situation but I'm holding into the hope of some news.

Even Thomas confirming no chance of a compatibility solution would be something.

op_ivy

all i have is the shitty MS wheel and i'm pretty pissed i'll have to buy a new wheel. cant imagine what you guys that invested far more feel like. its a really really shitty way to treat the hardcore niche following your games.

Why would there be news tomorrow? :/

the website last week said something along the lines of big news next week (this week). he's hoping its tomorrow and not the last day of the week, friday. it will be friday of course and it will certainly not be worth getting excited about. at this point we are definitely waiting till gamescon for whatever new stuff they decide to show

derFeef

all i have is the shitty MS wheel and i'm pretty pissed i'll have to buy a new wheel. cant imagine what you guys that invested far more feel like. its a really really shitty way to treat the hardcore niche following your games.

MS Wheel, Speed Wheel and Street Fighter Fight Stick that I can kick into the basket....
But yeah, not fun for the heavy setups :-/

Its not a reversal if they haven't even made a statement. Its kind of crazy, even if someone was inclined to buy a new wheel, shouldn't you let them know so they can make plans for the new investment?

But MS wireless wheel will definitely not work.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh, well shit, fingers crossed for something good. Its been long enough. I'd be happy enough just seeing footage of a FM4 track with the updated graphics, honestly. Forza will be a graphics showcase for the Xbox One, so show it off damnit!

That's exactly what I want to see too.

Can't directly compare Prague to anything but chuck us a video or even a bleeding offscreen shot of a Forza track and I'll be happy.

edit: PS3 mode was just spoofing a G25 wasn't it? Either Fanatec will be supported offically or it'll pull the same stunt, can't imagine it not being compatible one way or another.

op_ivy

Oh, well shit, fingers crossed for something good. Its been long enough. I'd be happy enough just seeing footage of a FM4 track with the updated graphics, honestly. Forza will be a graphics showcase for the Xbox One, so show it off damnit!

positano full. please.

Top Bottom