• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

Resilient

Why can't people in this thread accept that others don't appreciate this move by Ubi? In the long run, everybody loses. Gamers, the devs, and Ubi. Not purchasing the game WILL affect Ubi and is the right way to send a message saying that we will not support actions like these. They are not invincible. The con is that this will also punish the devs. That is black and white and there really isn't any disputing that.

Regardless of what you choose to do, the game is going to bomb hard period. It's launching in an ugly window, with increased dev costs. It's being sent to die like this. So Ubi are losing either way.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nous avons le plaisir de vous confirmer la prise en compte de votre commande numéro 94682740 du 05/02/2013.

Produit de votre commande :
---------------------------
Ce produit doit nous être livré par notre fournisseur au plus tard le 20/02/2013.

Produit : RAYMAN LEGENDS WII U
Référence : 3308215655145
Quantité : 1
Marque : UBI SOFT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the 5th, the shop I ordered it from expected to receive the game on Feb 20th. It looks like a very late call from Ubisoft.

What about print reviews? I asked the question yesterday but didn't see answers. Won't we see Rayman reviews in march mags?

flattie

Pokemon X and Y is slated September for 3DS that is the only think that may keep Nintendo from putting a big home console title there but Nintendo has a long history of having most of its bigger releases in the last 4 months of the year.

With PS4 / nextBox possible Fall Launch, Nintendo would probably want to have something big for each of those months just to keep the Wii U from total death. Meaning they have no reason to hold back and make room for any 3rd party.

Lol. Look, something is getting lost in translation here. I don't have any beef whatsoever with how Nintendo naturally choose to distribute their releases across the year. It doesn't bother me and I complelely understand the need to do things strategically.

My point was, and remains, that it would be childish to release the game on the same day as Rayman Legends as a way of being spiteful to Ubisoft, in reaction to this delay. It is a simple point and, I think, a reasonable one, made in reply to a simple comment.

If Nintendo was going to release the Yoshi game in September anyway, and the two titles' releases will clash as a result, then do I think that Nintendo should 'make room' for a title that was delayed by an external company? No I don't. But that isn't, and never was, my position, or even what I was talking about.

mclem

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but why not release the Wii U version as planned and the PS3/360 versions in September? Seems simple enough.

I'm still playing catch-up - this may have been covered - but I recalled something overnight:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442190

Microsoft reserves the right to refuse an Xbox 360 release for games that are released first on other platforms, according to reports.

Could that be why the delay?

There's a possibly-pertinent followon, too.

Eurogamer reveals that Microsoft's developer terms also stipulate that the company may also refuse to allow an Xbox 360 release for games that offer more features or content on other platforms.

... which might mean Ubisoft *still* have to create some content to replace the Murfy stuff, which may account for the *scale* of the delay.

I'm still playing catch-up - this may have been covered - but I recalled something overnight:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442190

Could that be why the delay?

Eh, I'd like to think it's the sort of policy that's used sparingly, if at all. I do consider Microsoft the most draconian tech giant out there by a LONG way though, and I think it's pretty clear that, for example, XBLA is seldom the first port of call for an indie developer that isn't certain it has a guaranteed, built-in user base in-waiting. Apple are just far bigger, so that's where the publicity goes.

Eurogamer said:
The developer wrote a message last month celebrating the project's completion, presumably before the news of the game's delay was handed down.

"Today is a great day! We've closed Legends [development] :)" read a post dated 9th January. "See what you think next month!"

It's unclear who the Zeta69 account belongs to, but years worth of posts point to an ex-Ubisoft Montpellier employee who worked at the company for some time. The developer left on 31st January after the end of Rayman Legends' Wii U development.

He/she describes visiting E3 with Ubisoft last year while working on Rayman Legends and previous projects at Ubisoft Montreal, such as Rainbow Six: Vegas and Far Cry 2. Several recent posts allude to the news of yesterday's delay.

Source

Mael

EDIT: Miiverse is possibly going to become very toxic to the success of the WiiU version of this game.

Well to be fair that's the kind of backfire that happens all the time in social media, see twitter and fb for example.

this is kinda heartless can't imagine working this hard and then to have this go on.

it would have been easier if we did not know about this being completed or devs working hard.

shoot they should have lied and claim tech issues with Wii U devkits everyone would have believed because hey media runs Wii U sucks stories all the time

but like this? heartbreaking for those people

IMBored

.conspiracy. What if Nintendo doesn't have any WiiU games for Setember and they asked Ubi to delay it till then? That way Ubisoft would only be half as dumb as they seem to be now.

Come on now Ubi, I understand WiiU isn't selling as much as expected, and Legends is actually being talked about, but that's mainly because it was an WiiU exclusive during a drought. Why not release it now, get WiiU owners to buy it, seing they don't have a lot of new games, and release the ports later to get the rest of the sales. This way when Legends releases, WiiU owners will have other games to ocuppy their minds( at least Pikmin3 and TW101).

-PXG-

It's not my job to pity the developers, grow some balls and stand up to the higher ups within the publisher. Don't cry to us, I'm not their friend They want my money? Well, they ain't getting it now. Simple as that.

You clearly don't understand how the corporate world works....

Another thing. I haaaaate it when people confuse devs with publishers and vice versa. Don't blame poor business decisions on those who actually made the game. Additionally, chances are, especially for games published by bigger companies, bad design is probably not the developer's fault either.

Taker666

.conspiracy. What if Nintendo doesn't have any WiiU games for September and they asked Ubi to delay it till then? That way Ubisoft would only be half as dumb as they seem to be now.

Come on now Ubi, I understand WiiU isn't selling as much as expected, and Legends is actually being talked about, but that's mainly because it was an WiiU exclusive during a drought. Why not release it now, get WiiU owners to buy it, seing they don't have a lot of new games, and release the ports later to get the rest of the sales. This way when Legends releases, WiiU owners will have other games to ocuppy their minds( at least Pikmin3 and TW101).

Windwaker HD has been announced for fall. So that means it'll hit the second half of September/October.

Nibel

I don't know how much a Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends would have sold; I don't know how a multiplatform Rayman Legends would have sold

But if you think that this thing won't tank in a month where the biggest game of the year will be released just at the end of the current console lifecycle and at the beginning of a new console generation, hyped by an E3 in summer where devs will show stuff that will make you want to forget current gen - then you're fucking nuts

Game was sent out to die, nobody will talk about this anymore after a month; hell, nobody will talk about this after February 20th when Kazification reaches its final stadium - and sure as hell nobody will really talk about this when Grand Theft Auto 5 is around the corner

Poor dev team, poor Ancel

Can't the devs go on strike? Or go to the bosses and talk some sense into them?
These people really are destroying this game now. It will fail in september.

ahm998

Maybe ubi ask nintendo money for timed exlusive and nintendo refused to pay.......!!

By the ceo liar why he said the only reason for delayed is multi?

Far cry already released and there is no wii u ver..,,

Hermii

If this happened back in the Hiroshi Yamauchi days I bet Guillermot would have gotten an offer he coudnt refuse.

I don't know how much a Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends would have sold; I don't know how a multiplatform Rayman Legends would have sold

But if you think that this thing won't tank in a month where the biggest game of the year will be released just at the end of the current console lifecycle and at the beginning of a new console generation, hyped by an E3 in summer where devs will show stuff that will make you want to forget current gen - then you're fucking nuts

Game was sent out to die, nobody will talk about this anymore after a month; hell, nobody will talk about this after February 20th when Kazification reaches its final stadium - and sure as hell nobody will really talk about this when Grand Theft Auto 5 is around the corner

Poor dev team, poor Ancel

this...!

grumpy

Such a pity. RL is my most anticipated, western-developed game of this year :(
Oh well. I'm still interested in the title, but I'll now buy it second hand so that Ubisoft won't get my money.

Hanmik

Ubisoft are lazy.. go to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2IzznrE16I&feature=youtu.be

this video is still up.. with this ending..

9qR4uKx.jpg

jonno394

Im already past caring about this game now. it was on my must have list when i thought it was a launch title, the push to Feb meant i was gonna pick it up during the barren release schedule, but now pushed back to September Im sure there will be plenty of other games vying for my money, notably GTA.

Can't the devs go on strike? Or go to the bosses and talk some sense into them?
These people really are destroying this game now. It will fail in september.

Having expressed themselves blaming the management team is a big deal already...

I feel very sorry for them. And the predominance of financial against the creative forces is really becoming to cripple the industry.

I mean, what do they want? They want a console that launch at wii level otherwise they consider it a bomb? Don't tell me that Rayman Legends was THAT expensive. they already had their engine created. This attitude saddens me.

At this rate the wiiU will have a worse third party support than the wii. Because it now means RISK for them. And RISK is bad. And WiiU owners just play party games that's for sure. With a preference for the crappy ones.

uniformisation of the offer is the preliminary to the uniformisation of tastes. Now shut up consumer and enjoy your yearly Michael Bay Action game, with this time more explosions. And perhaps boobies.

Ubisoft send Rayman Legends to die in september. It is a wise move to make a PS360 version, but a very stupid move to delay the Wii U version.

Now they got angry developers and angry Rayman-Fans that already preorder the game and now cancel it and perhaps never will think about buying it again.

IMBored

Windwaker HD has been announced for fall. So that means it'll hit the second half of September/October.

I know, I was just kidding, even if Nintendo wasn't releasing anything for the rest of the year why would they want Legends to be released multiplatform in the same month of GTA. That's what makes this so dumb for UBI.

I know, I was just kidding, even if Nintendo wasn't releasing anything for the rest of the year why would they want Legends to be released multiplatform in the same month of GTA. That's what makes this so dumb for UBI.

perhaps they will realize it and delay the game once more to port it on PS4/720. And cancel the WIIU version, cause, you know, you can't sell any platformer when there is a mario around...

edit : man, I'm pissed! It's so stupid to be pissed about a video game, but that damn Ubisoft causes this. Fuck!

Septimius

I feel for the dev-team, but I can't follow the sentiment of "please don't punish us because some high-ups fuck up". You can't move this responsibility to the end-user. It's nice to feel that you support the devs that work hard, and I get the companionship a lot of us feel with these devs, but we have to remember that sadly, we won't make a dent in sales.

This whole thing underlines the way big money and corporations are exploiting a willing, creative work-force. For so many of us, developing games is such a dream, that we want to sacrifice a lot to do it. In most countries, there are laws that are in place to ensure that that willingness to work 70 hours a week can not actually be converted into 70 hour weeks, but sadly, it's seemingly a more common thing than it should be. It's not OK that an entire dev team works so hard for so many months that they "barely see their wives, kids and friends". It's not OK.

I love that there are such passionate souls in the industry, but while the high-ups open up ways and subtly implies that they need to work hard to have a job, which there are countless recollections of from the industry, then we're nearing territory of supporting immoral things on level with child-labor. It's not only children that have to be protected from their ability to work hard - we need to ensure that people with passions can have a life they're happy with. Some people really handle stress well, and their happiness might come from insane amounts of work, and I envy those people. But there are people that don't handle this well - they're motivated and so passionate that they'll work so hard that it affects their lives in negative ways. And there are countless recollections of that from the industry too.

We can't support this studio and this publisher because they make so many choices that so negatively impacts their developers' lives. We can't be OK with buying this game in half a year because we'd support the devs that put the hours into it. We can't build up under the horrible tendency game development has of consuming their developers and abusing their passion. Most of us should be disgusted when we learn the dev-team haven't had a break, and been in crunch-time since May. It's not OK.

I won't be supporting this title in the wish to support the developers behind it. The suits of the business need to start taking care of their workers. Carrot, rather than the stick. We should not be OK with this in 2013, in one of the most technologically advancing fields there is.

I am not beyond thinking this is Xbox demanding they delay it. I'm sure Xbox understands that having this title our half a year will not only hurt their potential buyers, but even more, it will strengthen Nintendo as a competitor in the market. No wonder there are big forces at work. Everyone sees the immediate problems of launching a game in September, when we're expecting the news about next gen to be massive up until summer, and potentially new consoles coming out in October. Not only will the market for the two other consoles be mainly stagnant in wait for the next console, but all eyes will be turned away. This already poses a challenge for GTAV, and surely the little attention left behind for other games will go towards GTAV. This is just such a bad move in so many ways, it feels like Sony and MS are paying off Ubisoft to shoot themselves in the foot with this game, in order to cripple Nintendo as competition. I hope the money is good, because this whole decision reeks. Ubisoft leaves a worse and worse taste in my mouth.

I hope there's a big enough backlash that Ubisoft at least lowers the release date or some shit like that
never gonna happen

Because it was so ridiculously last second that stores were getting ready to receive their shipments.

I hope there's a big enough backlash that Ubisoft at least lowers the release date or some shit like that
never gonna happen

Because it was so ridiculously last second that stores were getting ready to receive their shipments.

e-Shop.

No need to advertise, hold fire on all that for the retail release while pissing people off a little bit less and forcing them to buy it at the digital console realm's trademark high price. Yarrrrr!

Fistwell

men in ties one day took a wrong choice. This industry is really that shitty
So in what kind of company do workers openly question decisions by, and indirectly insult higher-ups? I mean, the guy is probably right, but going on record to publicly say that, sounds pretty fucking unprofessional to me.
Or was it someone else posing as a ubisoft employee?

Septimius

So in what kind of company do workers openly question decisions by, and indirectly insult higher-ups? I mean, the guy is probably right, but going on record to publicly say that, sounds pretty fucking unprofessional to me.
Or was it someone else posing as a ubisoft employee?

Feels to me like this is the genuine sentiment of an employer - maybe as told to a close friend, who then took it upon himself to reword it for the masses.

It's unprofessional, and the developers need to put pressure on its higher ups, not publicly diss them. Nothing good will come from that.

e-Shop.

No need to advertise, hold fire on all that for the retail release while pissing people off a little bit less and forcing them to buy it at the digital console realm's trademark high price. Yarrrrr!

Would not buy. I got a $26 preorder on the game after a $25 coupon and Newegg thinking the game was going to cost $50.

Will not ever buy until that $26 order is fulfilled.

Would not buy. I got a $26 preorder on the game after a $25 coupon and Newegg thinking the game was going to cost $50.

Will not ever buy until that $26 order is fulfilled.

Nope, but some would, and it comes at next to no cost for Ubisoft. No need to advertise, acknowledge its existence in print and so forth. In fact, if it doesn't happen I'm increasingly inclined to wonder whether it could be that Microsoft is responsible, given its long and, well, mostly successful history of meddling, even when the benefits of doing so appear negligible at best.

I wanted something new for my Wii U that's never turned on. This is a bad way to treat your devs for sure. Hope it someone comes out on Wii U before Sep.

Fistwell

Feels to me like this is the genuine sentiment of an employer - maybe as told to a close friend, who then took it upon himself to reword it for the masses.

It's unprofessional, and the developers need to put pressure on its higher ups, not publicly diss them. Nothing good will come from that.
Yeah, I mean I could see how talking to people internally might not necessarily achieve much and, I can understand their frustration. But going public like that seems pretty extreme.

Eurogamer said:
The developer, who quit the company at the end of last month
Yeah ok, that makes more sense then I guess.

mclem

Sums it up right here. Gotta feel bad for Ancel. Wonder if there's ever going to be a point where just says fuck it and tries to make a game from his own vision via Kickstarter.

I assume Ubi owns the BG&E rights, not Ancel himself?

With how shitty developers are treated in a lot of these companies, I wonder why there hasn't been some sort of major "Developers Strike" or some shit by some companies. Probably the complete lack of job security in the industry.

I'm not sure how the Japanese handle their developers outside of a few examples, but from what I can tell, while they work really hard, someone like Nintendo have insane amount of benefits for their employees. While the Western developers, you always hear these horror stories about people like Rockstar, EA, and now Ubisoft just doing sleezy shit to their employees and overwork them with no overtime.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yeah, I mean I could see how talking to people internally might not necessarily achieve much and, I can understand their frustration. But going public like that seems pretty extreme.
The guy created a piece of art or at least a work of passion, for years. Of course he wants the world to see it now. The good thing about this public explanation is that it puts the blame on Yves Guillemot. He is nude now, we can finger point his decision and I wonder how he will react. Hopefully medias will put it on the grill about customer satisfaction's real importance in Unisoft strategy.

danmaku

I feel for the dev-team, but I can't follow the sentiment of "please don't punish us because some high-ups fuck up". You can't move this responsibility to the end-user. It's nice to feel that you support the devs that work hard, and I get the companionship a lot of us feel with these devs, but we have to remember that sadly, we won't make a dent in sales.

This whole thing underlines the way big money and corporations are exploiting a willing, creative work-force. For so many of us, developing games is such a dream, that we want to sacrifice a lot to do it. In most countries, there are laws that are in place to ensure that that willingness to work 70 hours a week can not actually be converted into 70 hour weeks, but sadly, it's seemingly a more common thing than it should be. It's not OK that an entire dev team works so hard for so many months that they "barely see their wives, kids and friends". It's not OK.

I love that there are such passionate souls in the industry, but while the high-ups open up ways and subtly implies that they need to work hard to have a job, which there are countless recollections of from the industry, then we're nearing territory of supporting immoral things on level with child-labor. It's not only children that have to be protected from their ability to work hard - we need to ensure that people with passions can have a life they're happy with. Some people really handle stress well, and their happiness might come from insane amounts of work, and I envy those people. But there are people that don't handle this well - they're motivated and so passionate that they'll work so hard that it affects their lives in negative ways. And there are countless recollections of that from the industry too.

We can't support this studio and this publisher because they make so many choices that so negatively impacts their developers' lives. We can't be OK with buying this game in half a year because we'd support the devs that put the hours into it. We can't build up under the horrible tendency game development has of consuming their developers and abusing their passion. Most of us should be disgusted when we learn the dev-team haven't had a break, and been in crunch-time since May. It's not OK.

I won't be supporting this title in the wish to support the developers behind it. The suits of the business need to start taking care of their workers. Carrot, rather than the stick. We should not be OK with this in 2013, in one of the most technologically advancing fields there is.

Excellent post. It's disgusting how game companies exploit their workforce.

AniHawk

With how shitty developers are treated in a lot of these companies, I wonder why there hasn't been some sort of major "Developers Strike" or some shit by some companies. Probably the complete lack of job security in the industry.

in the us, doing something like that would be suicide. in france, probably less so. i seem to remember some sort of union thing going down a year or two ago with the union winning.

I'm not sure how the Japanese handle their developers outside of a few examples, but from what I can tell, while they work really hard, someone like Nintendo have insane amount of benefits for their employees. While the Western developers, you always hear these horror stories about people like Rockstar, EA, and now Ubisoft just doing sleezy shit to their employees and overwork them with no overtime.

i once interned at a place where they were proud that turnover rate for programmers was over two years. because that's apparently a really long time before burnout happens in this industry.

another company i know is part of a japanese company and they treat their employees amazingly well with all sorts of nice benefits.

that's not to say the american one didn't treat their employees well, but there was more of a focus in the personal well-being of the employee in the japanese company.

Top Bottom