• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls PC: Steamy 2D fighting action available for Pre-Order+ Beta acess

joe2187

Banned
skullgirls-preorder-steam-beta-e1375385454282.jpg

Pre-purchase Skullgirls and receive permanent access to the beta as well as the color palette DLC.

Skullgirls on the steam store

$14.99

PC /Toaster specs

Minimum:
Processor: Dual-core CPU
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD3000
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

- All crowdfunded DLC characters will be free for everyone of every version for the first Three months they are released, once you download them they are yours FOREVER!
-There will be alot more additional color palettes released as DLC later
-The cool as hell TF2 hats are still pending approval but once they are, they will be given to all those that funded enough for the beta thorugh IGG and all Pre-orders
- The Beta is constantly being updated and the updated change log can be found in community hub
- Currently a deal from Gamefly to get the game for $12 by using the codes GFDAUG20 and GFDAUG20UK for UK customers
- will come with STEAM TRADING CARDS!
-If you have been a member for CAG for more than 90 days you can get access to a free Beta code by signing in.
- All Beta participants can register to play in the Online Tournament and win cool prizes! REGISTER NOW!

Future DLC Characters:

SQUIGLY! (Available now!)

skullgirlssquigly.png

Squigly is the last "surviving" member of the Contiellos, a famous line of opera singers and long-time clients of the Medici family.

Fourteen years ago, tragedy befell Squigly’s family when the Medici mafia came close to obtaining the Skull Heart. During this incident she became one of the Skullgirl's undead minions. Once the threat had been defeated, only Squigly’s body was recovered, and she was buried in a service provided by Lorenzo himself.

Fast forward to the present: Bloody Marie's emergence has awoken Squigly from her long sleep. As part of the Skullgirl’s undead legion, Squigly should have become nothing more than a mindless servant of the pale maiden. However, thanks to the powers of her Parasite Leviathan, she is spared this fate.

Squigly is graceful, calm and well-mannered, but tough and determined to complete her mission. Her past experience with a Skullgirl gives her a unique perspective and a greater understanding of the situation over most.

Having been passed through the Contiello family for generations, Leviathan is refined and dotes on Squigly like her father and previous host did. This long familial history has made Squigly's bond with Leviathan deeper and more fundamental than that of most Parasites, and allows them to work harmoniously both in and out of battle like synchronized dance partners. Their unique circumstance also seems to have given them abilities beyond this world, as well.

BIG BAND! (TBA)

tumblr_inline_mjpm1hoDd41qz4rgp.gif

Ben Birdland has seen a lot in his time, including the worst of the Grand War. But nothing was worse than what he saw as a beat cop in New Meridian. When he ran afoul of his crooked unit he was given a violent early retirement, and his broken body was left to spend the rest of its days in an iron lung.

That would have been the end of Ben’s story if it hadn't drawn the ears of the Anti-Skullgirl Labs. With little left to lose, he agreed to be rebuilt with their experimental procedures. Melded with the machinery that allows him to breathe and a powerful an array of pneumatic weaponry, he was reborn as “Big Band.”

Now a senior member of Lab 8, he’s become a father figure of sort to the younger ASG soldiers. A firm believer in their cause, he has stayed with the project through its controversies and still sees his place on the front lines against the Skullgirl. His technology may be dated, but he more than makes up for it with experience and fortissimo.

ELIZA (TBA)

Skullgirls-Eliza.jpg

A celebrity diva known for her charity, Eliza has been a host to the skeletal Parasite Sekhmet for countless years, completely internal and hidden from everyone. In reality, Eliza’s charity blood drives primarily serve to feed Sekhmet and preserve her own beauty. When the Medicis found out, they blackmailed Eliza and forced her to use her vampiric abilities for their own purposes. Now forced into the pursuit for the Skull Heart, an ancient ambition stirs... one that Samson and Leviathan are all too familiar with.

BEOWULF (TBA)

Skullgirls_55786.jpg

Beowulf retired at the height of his professional wrestling career, defeating the seemingly unstoppable Grendel, as well as his frenzied Gigan mom when she nearly ate the audience after her son’s defeat. Years later Beowulf has become restless, wondering if that was his limit. He announces his plans to fight once again. What he didn’t mention was that it wouldn’t be in the ring, since there’s no telling where his greatest opponent will show up.

ROBO FORTUNE! (TBA)

2461741-tumblr_mit4hf5nkh1qis82bo1_500.png

BEEP

BOOP

MEOW

hupla

Glad that its already doing well on the steam charts! was just under Blops DLC and the quakecon pack last i checked. Been having a lot of fun with the beta since it came out for IGG backers even though im pretty terrible! Hopefully when lobbies are implemented i play more people in my skill range

joe2187

Banned
How does this game play with a 360 pad?

They are still working out some kinks in the beta with controller issues.

However I havent encountered any issues so far with the 360 Game pad or Mad catz fight pad. They both work fine.

Anbec7

So uhm a friend of mine is having some issues with the Beta

He says that the game starts but after it starts he can´t select anything only exit the game.
He says that he already deleted and re-installed... since Skullheart is down I can´t access the official thread.

Any tips???

joe2187

Banned

He says that the game starts but after it starts he can´t select anything only exit the game.
He says that he already deleted and re-installed... since Skullheart is down I can´t access the official thread.

Any tips???

Check out the community hub on steam for some Tech issue support.

You should be able to use a controller or a keyboard to select Player 1 on the left side after the intro screen, press enter and it should work fine.

Ravidrath

Any tips???

Is he running the beta or the retail one? He should have both in his library.

Valve accidentally set the retail as playable earlier, but that's fixed now.

Anbec7

Check out the community hub on steam for some Tech issue support.

You should be able to use a controller or a keyboard to select Player 1 on the left side after the intro screen, press enter and it should work fine.

He just told me that he could play a little while then he had to leave so when he got back and wanted to play he could not move at all, he tried with the keyboard and his fightstick but it did no work....

So is there a way to "reset" the configuration?

Ravidrath

May as well post this here...

Skullgirls PC Beta Tournament Has Over $2000 in Prizes
Tournament lasts from August 14th to August 21st

Los Angeles, CA – August 1st, 2013 – Marvelous AQL, Autumn Games and Lab Zero Games will be holding an online tournament for the PC version of their critically-acclaimed 2D fighting game, Skullgirls.

The top 20 tournament winners will receive prizes with a combined worth of over $2000, to be announced at a later date.

The beta version of Skullgirls has a number of changes and improvements over the current console version, including improved balance and the inclusion of the first DLC character, Squigly. Like its console counterparts, the PC version of Skullgirls’ online play is powered by the rock-solid, lag-free GGPO networking library.

To obtain a Steam code for the beta, one must pre-order the game at any of the participating digital stores, or get a code from a participating media partner.

Stores
GameFly, GamersGate, Gamefly, Origin, Steam

Media Partners
CheapAssGamer, Destructoid, Polygon, Shacknews, Siliconera

Codes distributed by media partners are restricted-use codes, but will offer full access to the game’s multiplayer modes until the game’s official release on August 22nd. Beta codes received from Lab Zero Games’ wildly successful Indiegogo campaign or pre-orders will never expire, letting players test new changes and characters before their official release.

Once a player has access to the beta, to enter the tournament players simply need to register at the following URL:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jYjhiye3DPWJ0xavflKa_Ua0pS8XxRzk28nKasntDro/viewform

Registration will be capped at 1024 participants.

Here is the schedule for the tournament:

8/5 - 8/9: Registration
8/11 - 8/13: Announcement of pools and times
8/14 - 8/19: Pools
8/20 - 8/21: Finals

Tournament participants and the general public can track the progress of the tournament at the following URLs:

Pools
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup1
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup2
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup3
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup4
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup5
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup6
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup7
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup8

Finals
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbfinal

Sign up to receive Skullgirls news at http://www.skullgirls.com, become a fan on Facebook or follow @Skullgirls on Twitter for game updates, giveaways, exclusive artwork, and more. Skullgirls is rated T for teen by the ESRB. Visit www.esrb.org for rating information.

The Steam sales have pretty much sapped all my cash, but I'm really really tempted. I loved the console version, can't wait to play on PC with my friends.

Acerac

Banned
Huh, this game is downright neat. Haven't tried it out til just now and it really flows well.

Shame I'll never be anywhere near decent at it. XD

According to the Skullgirls Twitter account, the Linux port is being handled by a "volunteer," so if you're waiting on that version, it might be a while.

Astarte

Oh geez, that tourney! Time to enter...my matches against an African man with red ping made me believe that I can lose to anything!

Salsa

bummed about lack of $$$ with so many games coming out since I just got an arcade stick :(

i'll try to get it when I can

I'm tempted to join the tourney but don't know if I should given I'm from Europe. It might have been a good idea to have the pools based around location?

So how is this game different from other 2D fighters? I need comparisons here!

I think the best comparison would be to say it's closest to Marvel 2 with a smaller more balanced roster and less craziness. It's relatively execution light and a great introduction to VS styled fighters, even then the lack of broken elements (no unblockables, infinites, or guard breaks) and the ability to choose 1-3 characters means that you might end up liking it even if you weren't previously a fan of VS fighters. Also it has sweet ass netcode.

Tizoc

Gonna make a giveaway of this+ducktales later this month~
As i did not pay for the kickstarter/whatever i would be buying the dlc rite? Fine by me wanna support as mch as i can

So how is this game different from other 2D fighters? I need comparisons here!

It's a bit Marvel 2 in terms of how matches actually play out, a high emphasis on resets. If you're at all familiar with the Marvel Vs. series games then you'll know what to expect when coming into Skullgirls.

Where it differentiates itself is with the inclusion of a ratio system ala CvS2, custom assists, and some shenanigans behind the hood that prevents infinites from ever coming into play but doesn't discourage the creation of creative combos. The tutorial is pretty fantastic for what we typically see in fighting games, it explains concepts like hitconfirming, blocking, and the use of the in game mechanics. Recently they added character specific tutorials as well

We're at the cusp of the release of "All Play" lobbies in the near future where if 8 people were to join a lobby then there'd be 4 matches going on at the same time and the matchups rotate after each round. Currently there's no way in the PC Beta to invite players to matches but this WILL be addressed shortly.

... and yeah, it's good times.

Gonna make a giveaway of this+ducktales later this month~
As i did not pay for the kickstarter/whatever i would be buying the dlc rite? Fine by me wanna support as mch as i can

Nope, so long as you download the Character DLC within 3 months of its release then it'll be free for any and everyone forever.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
if you buy the four pack as a gift, do you gift to one person who then gets three additional keys, or do you get four separate gift keys?

if you buy the four pack as a gift, do you gift to one person who then gets three additional keys, or do you get four separate gift keys?

Not exactly keys, but 3 skullgirls gift appear in your inventory(1 auto add to your library. When you give it to someone, they will get Skullgirls and the beta appear in their library.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Not exactly keys, but 4 separate game and when added to their library, they will have Skullgirls and beta in there.
right, but do i get 4 separate copies of the game to distribute or am i required to gift the whole pack together?

for example:
if i bought the pack and wanted to give you a copy of the game.
could i give you one copy and then give three other people their own copies.
or would i have to give you the whole 4pack and then you would have to gift the three additional copies?

edit: actually it seems to block me from purchasing the pack since i already own the game. that's a shame, i thought it would work since the add to cart button was there. :( nvm.

joe2187

Banned
Some Updates:

You can get a free beta code from CAG if you have been a member for more than 90 days.

Shacknews is giving away 100 Beta codes, as well as some codes on their face book page

Top Bottom