• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Shiv47

That Lady From Shanghai release from TCM is not really that great; despite doing a 4K restoration, they didn't give it all that much space on the disc, leading to picture quality not significantly better than the DVD. Something of a disappointment, unfortunately.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just bought the Twilight Time versions of Crimes and Misdemeanors and Sexy Beast because those low print runs make me think I'll be paying a lot more if I wait, I guess their plan worked! There's a lot of negativity about TT when I search for them, it's pretty funny. Seems like they're doing a pretty good job though.

I just bought the Twilight Time versions of Crimes and Misdemeanors and Sexy Beast because those low print runs make me think I'll be paying a lot more if I wait, I guess their plan worked! There's a lot of negativity about TT when I search for them, it's pretty funny. Seems like they're doing a pretty good job though.

No subtitles, intentionally scarce releases, no extras, overpriced, locking out other releases for a few years... What's not to like ?

Seeing a movie I love in their schedule makes me sad.

Great covers though.

My copy of CAM is on the way.

swoon

No subtitles, intentionally scarce releases, no extras, overpriced, locking out other releases for a few years... What's not to like ?

Seeing a movie I love in their schedule makes me sad.

Great covers though.

i don't think they choose to do 3000 copies do they? it's just the part of the deal with the studio?

either way the half dozen release i have by them all have subtitles and some have commentary, though i think they could do more extras unless it's a commentary or a bonus film i don't care.

I thought timed (exclusive) releases with limited copies was part of their deals but I might be wrong.

Glad to hear they're adding more subtitles (haven't seen them on the films I'm interested in though, I might have to re-check).

And I'm not that fond of extras (although some of them prove to be great) but $30 for a barebone disc (which translates to around €30 to €35 if I import) is pretty hard to swallow when compared to MoC, Arrow and Criterion (which I buy only on sales so for less than half that price).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I figure if TT is releasing 3000 copies of something its probably because the official studio doesn't care about it themselves. So I'd rather it gets released at all rather than sit on a shelf. I'll see if they do them justice when they come in, though.

Btw, where the heck is Barton Fink on blu? Is there something I'm not aware of that puts that one in limbo?

Aha, there is something Gizmodo's good for!

Really great video of their restoration and publishing process. Not surprised that everyone looks so laid back, it must be hell to work on 7 or 8 products at a time.

Holy shit, Criterion's May slate has just been listed on Amazon. The actual announcement's this Tuesday due to tomorrow being off and Monday being a bank holiday, but here's the titles:

Red River
The Life Aquatic
Like Someone in Love
Overlord
Ace in the Hole

Red River, Ace in the Hole, and TLA are definitely needed; I could care less about Overlord (really? not Spirit of the Beehive or something more interesting?) and the only Kiarostami I care for is their upcoming Koker Trilogy release.

Like Someone in Love is a nice surprise, although maybe it shouldn't have been after Certified Copy was picked up.

Red River, Ace in the Hole, and TLA are definitely needed; I could care less about Overlord (really? not Spirit of the Beehive or something more interesting?) and the only Kiarostami I care for is their upcoming Koker Trilogy release.

What's wrong with other Kiarostami films?

big ander

I've only seen Where Is The Friend's Home? and Close-Up and Certified Copy, each fantastic. Is the Koker trilogy seriously getting a box set? because, hell yes. After I saw the first I tried to find Life and Nothing More and Through the Olive Trees and had no luck, would love to catch up on them. Not that I'm not anticipating finally seeing Like Someone In Love too, but the trilogy is more important to me

And you know The Traveler is an extra on Close-Up, right?
Oh crap, I did not. Will have to get that during the big sale!

There's a shot of bushes from one of the Koker movies that's referenced in the New Year's drawing, and someone on Criterion Forum informed that the company was conducting interviews at the college he goes to.

amnesiac

Excited for Life Aquatic. :)

Also, A Hard Day's Night will be coming out later this year. There have been a lot of hints.

omgkitty

That Someone In Love Cover. Whoo boy.

It's real fucking lazy. They should have just used the original theatrical poster if they were going to put 0 effort in like that:

large_djD3nfawf8wzcXCdWM93M1tP0Sg.jpg

Ridley327

Just letting people know that Twilight Time's next wave of preorders just went live, including Equus, Fever Pitch (1997), All the King's Men (1949), Conrack, and the big one, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. The promotion for getting a free signed copy of The Driver by Walter Hill himself for an order over $100 also went live, too.

I just received my copy of Fantastic Mr. Fox in the mail! But a quick question about the packaging: does anyone else's copy have a back sheet (the back of the box with all the info on the film) that is glued and flappy; it doesn't really seem a part of the packaging.

mattiewheels

Just letting people know that Twilight Time's next wave of preorders just went live, including Equus, Fever Pitch (1997), All the King's Men (1949), Conrack, and the big one, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. The promotion for getting a free signed copy of The Driver by Walter Hill himself for an order over $100 also went live, too.
These two TT discs that I just got are enough to make me want to preorder Wild At Heart when it comes...got Crimes & Misdemeanors and Sexy Beast, and they're both great transfers (and the audio for Sexy Beast is tremendous), they're just wrapped in pretty bland everything else. Actually, what's going to get me to preorder that is if I know they're using a different transfer than the Euro stuff.

Ridley327

These two TT discs that I just got are enough to make me want to preorder Wild At Heart when it comes...got Crimes & Misdemeanors and Sexy Beast, and they're both great transfers (and the audio for Sexy Beast is tremendous), they're just wrapped in pretty bland everything else. Actually, what's going to get me to preorder that is if I know they're using a different transfer than the Euro stuff.

Twilight Time definitely needs to work better at extras. Isolated soundtrack audio is a long underappreciated extra, but they should try harder to find some archival items, if they're not going to be in the business of producing their own supplemental content. It seems like they're getting better at it (as Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia seems to be surprisingly packed, and Equus having the feature-length Richard Burton documentary), but a little more consistency wouldn't hurt.

You'd think that the price tag would give them more head room for those kinds of things, at least!

ngower

I fucking hope not. I'm broke.

Same. I'm planning to dig into my savings and upgrade a few titles that are eating up shelf space, as well as grab Blue is the Warmest Color. I wish I had been smarter with my tax return—I could have upgraded most of my DVDs and grabbed a rewards certificate as well.

[EDIT] Rumor has it that the sale will go live at noon EST tomorrow, Tuesday Feb 25.

They usually hold flash sales around this time of year, and the next one usually comes in-between the B&N sales. This'll be my birthday gift if it happens tomorrow.

Same. I'm planning to dig into my savings and upgrade a few titles that are eating up shelf space, as well as grab Blue is the Warmest Color. I wish I had been smarter with my tax return—I could have upgraded most of my DVDs and grabbed a rewards certificate as well.

[EDIT] Rumor has it that the sale will go live at noon EST tomorrow, Tuesday Feb 25.

SON OF A BITCH....

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
MMZHU55.jpg

For the next twenty-four hours at Criterion.com, all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs will be 50% off. Just enter the promotional code MADFOX

Sorry guys.

ngower

Picked up:

• Grey Gardens (upgrade to Blu Ray)
• Seven Samurai (upgrade to Blu Ray)
• The Thin Red Line (upgrade to Blu Ray)
• Blue is the Warmest Color (Blu Ray)
• Fish Tank (Blu Ray)

omgkitty

My poor, poor, poor, poor credit card.

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
Nashville
Throne of Blood
Thief
Rififi
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
La vie de bohème
Jules and Jim
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Foreign Correspondent
Repo Man

Also getting Blue is the Warmest Color today from Amazon since I preordered it for $17.

big ander

I'm just grabbing the Cit Lights combo for my Chaplin-fan brother's birthday. One of those cases where the combo pays off, he's DVD only but his roommates have blu.

May grab a Fuller film or an eclipse set for myself later, but I already have sixish unwatched criterions so I don't really need em.

KingGondo

Banned
Ordered:

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Being John Malkovich
Throne of Blood (pretty sure that makes me up to date with every Kurosawa Blu--and I'm still REALLY bitter that they lost the rights to Ran)

I hate these fucking sales cause I'm always tempted to buy stuff I haven't seen.

If I had to get one of the following (two MAX) which one should I get and why? I added stuff I hear around these parts

night of the hunter
tokyo story
nashville
thief

after reading about em I think I'm most interested in nashville

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
One of them should be Night of the Hunter no matter what. Reason: because I said so.

ngower

I hate these fucking sales cause I'm always tempted to buy stuff I haven't seen.

If I had to get one of the following (two MAX) which one should I get and why? I added stuff I hear around these parts

night of the hunter
tokyo story
nashville
thief

If you have to get one, go with Tokyo Story. I haven't gone through the entire set, but it's loaded with features and the film itself is regarded as one of the best in history.

If you get a second, I'd go with Nashville. I'm keen on the American New Wave, and Nashville is one of the best to come from that period, so it speaks to me, but it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

night of the hunter
tokyo story
nashville
thief

Definitely Tokyo Story. Great transfer, commentary, two (or three) documentaries.

TheChits

There will likely be a Barnes and Noble sale in May or June, so anything released between now and then is worth grabbing during that sale.

Thanks for the tip. I'll bite on Blue Is the Warmest Color and then wait patiently for the next sale

codhand

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Throne of Blood
Tokyo Drifter

Aaaand, done.

Ordered:
(pretty sure that makes me up to date with every Kurosawa Blu--and I'm still REALLY bitter that they lost the rights to Ran)

word me too, Hidden Fortress is coming out soon too.

ngower

A lot of titles are on backorder. If you're on the fence, might want to make an order soon before you're resigned to slim pickings. It looks like pretty much everything from Wes Anderson is on backorder, as well as all the most recent releases (including Blue is the Warmest Color).

Top Bottom