• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should I move to in order to get off diet soda?

Falchion

I love diet soda (shout out to Diet Dr Pepper) but I try to only have it when I'm eating out so that I'm not drinking it all the time. My problem is that I don't like coffee or sparkling water so it's either water or lipton green tea.

Rookhelm

I'd say switch to unflavored sparkling water (or sparkling water that has no artificial sweeteners) or just plain iced tea.

I've stopped ordering diet sodas at restaurants (though still drink them at work and home sometimes), and if I'm not ordering beer, I get plain iced tea.

I don't add sugar or lemon or anything, and I've gotten to the point where I actually like the taste. Better than sweet tea even.

drinks2.jpg

Or some other brand of sparkling water. Did the trick for me.

Nailed it.

DOWN

Banned
I enjoy soda water, but there's limited options here. Perrier tastes great, but it's expensive compared to soda. I don't like the flavored Perriers though.

A little off topic, but what does GAF think about getting a free water cup at a restaurant and getting carbonated water from the fountain machine?

J-Rod

It's not carbonated, but ice tea (unsweetened of course) is my go to drink. Tastes like dirty leaf water, yum.

Artificial sweeteners cause the body to produce insulin due to the taste of sweetness and since there aren't any sugars to metabolize it can cause increased resistance and contribute to diabetes moreso than real sugar, especially in those already at risk for diabetes.

Well ain't that a bitch.

And here I thought me drinking soda once or twice a week was pushing it. :eek:

OP, you like tea? You can control how much sugar goes into it (so long as you're making it yourself), obviously, and there's no lack of variety. There are ways to make it sparkling if you must have the fizz, and I can't blame you for wanting it. Anyway, most of what I drink is water, and tea is a great companion.
I do want to try La Croix, too, though...

I cut everything except water (and coffee) a few months ago after literally an entire lifetime of soda and flavored drinks (diet versions for the last 15 years or so).

Anyone can do it if I can do it. Your taste buds adjust in two weeks, max. Add a bit of lemon or lime juice if you occasionally need some extra flavor.

McBryBry

I have coffee in the morning for wake-up caffeine. I've had the La Croix lemon and it was ok. Not a fan of tea. What other LaCroix flavors are good?

Also, hate Propel flavored waters. Those taste like shit.

br3wnor

Seltzer did it for me. I’ll have soda sometimes if I go out to eat or something but other than that I’m drinking water or Seltzer. Chugging an ice cold original flavor seltzer right form the can when you’re really thirsty is an otherworldly experience. Started during college when I’d wake up after a hard night of drinking and it was like mana from heaven, haven’t stopped since.

Just go cold turkey, and drink water. I've been doing it for about ten years now before that, I would drink a can of coke a day for years. You'll notice that you'll lose a lot of weight and eventually you'll hate the taste of soda and won't miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Though I wouldn't say I hate the taste of soda, but it's more like a very occasional dessert-y treat (especially real sugar soda) than any kind of thirst-quenching beverage.

I went cold turkey and went straight to water(and a cup of coffee in the mornings at work) along with tea. My sister moved to La Croix as others have suggested. I've tried it and I think it's alright but I didn't think it was anything special. She seems to like it though.

Fuchsdh

The clear mountain stuff sounds like it's the same as diet soda.

If you want to cut out that craving for sweetness, I'd just go with sparkling water and see how it goes.

Yeah they're mostly all aspartame-based so not much different from diet sodas.

I'll third or fourth or X sparkling water. It's cheap, it's bubbly, it's nice to drink.

They still make flavors for seltzer water, they just aren't as intense as the ones with sweeteners in them. Might take a bit of adjusting but I vastly prefer them to the sweetened stuff.

The sweeteners in diet soda and flavored water, like sucralose, can give you looser stools and can cause diarrhea. They also fuck up your appetite in a way that makes you hungrier and makes you eat more. It's not some cancer scare, there's a concrete reason not to drink it.

rjinaz

I recommend True Lime or True Lemon or True Orange. They have just one gram of sugar and you mix them with 16 ounces of water. 10 calories per serving. They also have Stevia but for me the sugar is enough for it not to taste very "diet-y". It got me off of soda entirely. If you absolutely still need carbonation, you can also mix them with soda water which is good but the powder does cause a lot of bubbling at first. My favorite flavor is the True Lime Watermelon flavor. I also mix the Lemon flavors with vodka when I drink and it's pretty good.

My second recommendation is soda water mixed with a water enhancer called Stur. It's sweetened with Stevia as well.

Mind you, I don't like artificial sweetners at all, they give me headaches and cause other effects to my body like increased urination. It's why I stick with Stevia.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Carbonated water worked for me as well. Used to drink at least 2-3 Diet Cokes a day for decades, now I only drink flat and sparkling water.

Usually don't bother with any of the flavored stuff, though I will add a lemon or lime slice when able. Iced tea on occasion as well, but no sweetener.

I'm having my mind blown in this thread. Sugar addiction is real. I just drink water, about 2.5l a day and don't even think about it. You can add mint, lemon or cumcumber to your water to pep it up. The only enjoyment I get from drinking is drinking alcohol, other than that liquid is just the stuff I need to survive

Rolfgang

After my dentist told me I should lower the amount of soda I drink, I just went over to tap water. In The Netherlands it's just as good as bottled water.

Now I almost only drink water. In the evening and morning a cup of coffee and/or a glass of milk, sometimes a glass of soda and the occasional beer at parties. But mostly it's water and perfectly fine for me. It's also a lot cheaper :p

95% of what I drink is just regular water. It isn't all that bad. I've been thinking of adding fresh lemon or something like that though. Just to try some different things.

I add lemon juice and lime juice to my carbonated water from the soda stream it's tasty. I have also read you can use the frozen juice concentrate to flavor your sparkling water.

Top Bottom