• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Zach

Just remember, it can get worse:

SyringeThroughCheek.gif
ScissorThroughTongue.gif
SyringeStuckinBareFoot.gif
SyringeInThroat.gif

That said, this is probably lighting the Data and Boots Signals, so, enjoy.

klonere

Banned
fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why?????????

Actually, even if the bump is excessive in my GIF there is a very very good reason for this and the other gif I posted of the same match. This might end up being a bit long.

This is the blowoff match of the famous Jimmy Havoc vs Will Ospreay feud in PROGRESS. Havoc was a plucky underdog who was trying to shed his deathmatch roots and win using pure wrestling, which was how he was trained initially. Sadly, he just couldn't get that elusive win.

Jim Smallman, the promoter of PROGRESS asked Jimmy if he could deal with one of the London Riots tag team that were causing a lot of trouble being bad dudes. This meant a deathmatch - which Jimmy was trying to get away from. But Jimmy is a good dude and says sure Jim, I'll do it for the good of PROGRESS but promise me you'll give me a title match when I want one okay?

One really bloody and brutal deathmatch later, Havoc is faced with another loss. The crowd are thankful though, Jimmy put all on the line for the promotion. However, the loss breaks Jimmy. A few shows later he snaps, assaulting Smallman, cashing in his title shot after the current champion, Mark Andrews had just wrestled two consecutive matches. He destroys Andrews and aligns himself with aforementioned London Riots.

Will Ospreay was very much like Havoc - a young, plucky underdog who couldn't put it all together. Will faced a devastating loss as well, falling short in the Natural Progression tournament, which acted as a conduit for new talent to come into PROGRESS. Ospreay fought through the adversity, eventually earning a title match against Havoc. However due too scared to hit his 630 splash finisher and Havoc doing heel things (like deconstructing the entire ring in one match), Ospreay couldn't win.

Then, the gif'd match happened. It was deeply bitter and personal, Havoc bled, Ospreay took insane bumps, Robinson (curb stomp man) constantly interfered. However, in the end, Ospreay brought Havoc's 2 year reign to an end. An incredible moment, worthy of the dangers in the match and the story that was told.

What's even better is that we come to what's happening in PROGRESS now. After Havoc lost, he went away. For a long time. He returned at PROGRESS's biggest show ever in Brixton in front of 2,500 fans, as a face. He was on the road to redemption. He admitted his faults, his sins. Now, he is up against British Strong Style, who you may be familiar with.

Of course, he's just one man against three and he looked for help in the PROGRESS roster. Who better than Will Ospreay, arguably the most well known and successful wrestler in PROGRESS? Will had been struggling, on a massive losing streak since losing the title and going to Japan. He'd been showing frustration, even cheating in one match (does this sound familiar?).

At the end of a recent show, Havoc appealed to Ospreay to team up with him to take out British Strong Style. It seemed like the best possible pairing - two men that defined the promotion, that were inextricably tied to each other, fighting alongside each other. Alas, Ospreay turned on him, explaining that even if everyone else in PROGRESS had forgiven him, he hadn't. Havoc had tried to kill him, destroy his body, his livelihood, as evidenced by those gifs. Out comes Paul Robinson, Havoc's former goon and Ospreay's original tag partner as well as trainer. They both beat down Havoc.

None of this would have the impact without that match and those crazy bumps. This is a blood feud and Ospreay, while of course a total asshole, has the right to still hold a grudge against Jimmy and want to see him hurt. From a business standpoint, it (and other events of course) also marks the real upswing of the BritWres scene to where now multiple promotions are drawing thousands of people on the weekends on a monthly basis and the WWE want in on it.

So er yeah, there is a very good reason behind Ospreay bumping on his fucking neck for the business.

Acosta

Sorry but I am sure you where a kid when those guys where on top and it adds to there larger then life feel for you. Same way the guys I looked up to when I was a kid and everyone else . I think Macho Man is better then both of those guys at everything. Hulk Hogan definitely made wrestling big but I don't care. Sorry he is a terrible human being and a garbage wrestler.

Well, I disagree but I have no metrics aside of my own perception. He was very big in my country when WWF started to get popular, to the point that children were of Hogan or Warrior. The only "proof" II can offer is Mania VI and the atmosphere they created but I lack the knowledge to rate that against other events.

And I don't know what Hogan is doing here, I was not discussing him. Anyway you have your feelings and I respect them but he will always be a legend for me.
Actually, even if the bump is excessive in my GIF there is a very very good reason for this and the other gif I posted of the same match. This might end up being a bit long.

This is the blowoff match of the famous Jimmy Havoc vs Will Ospreay feud in PROGRESS. Havoc was a plucky underdog who was trying to shed his deathmatch roots and win using pure wrestling, which was how he was trained initially. Sadly, he just couldn't get that elusive win.

Jim Smallman, the promoter of PROGRESS asked Jimmy if he could deal with one of the London Riots tag team that were causing a lot of trouble being bad dudes. This meant a deathmatch - which Jimmy was trying to get away from. But Jimmy is a good dude and says sure Jim, I'll do it for the good of PROGRESS but promise me you'll give me a title match when I want one okay?

One really bloody and brutal deathmatch later, Havoc is faced with another loss. The crowd are thankful though, Jimmy put all on the line for the promotion. However, the loss breaks Jimmy. A few shows later he snaps, assaulting Smallman, cashing in his title shot after the current champion, Mark Andrews had just wrestled two consecutive matches. He destroys Andrews and aligns himself with aforementioned London Riots.

Will Ospreay was very much like Havoc - a young, plucky underdog who couldn't put it all together. Will faced a devastating loss as well, falling short in the Natural Progression tournament, which acted as a conduit for new talent to come into PROGRESS. Ospreay fought through the adversity, eventually earning a title match against Havoc. However due too scared to hit his 630 splash finisher and Havoc doing heel things (like deconstructing the entire ring in one match), Ospreay couldn't win.

Then, the gif'd match happened. It was deeply bitter and personal, Havoc bled, Ospreay took insane bumps, Robinson (curb stomp man) constantly interfered. However, in the end, Ospreay brought Havoc's 2 year reign to an end. An incredible moment, worthy of the dangers in the match and the story that was told.

What's even better is that we come to what's happening in PROGRESS now. After Havoc lost, he went away. For a long time. He returned at PROGRESS's biggest show ever in Brixton in front of 2,500 fans, as a face. He was on the road to redemption. He admitted his faults, his sins. Now, he is up against British Strong Style, who you may be familiar with.

Of course, he's just one man against three and he looked for help in the PROGRESS roster. Who better than Will Ospreay, arguably the most well known and successful wrestler in PROGRESS? Will had been struggling, on a massive losing streak since losing the title and going to Japan. He'd been showing frustration, even cheating in one match (does this sound familiar?).

At the end of a recent show, Havoc appealed to Ospreay to team up with him to take out British Strong Style. It seemed like the best possible pairing - two men that defined the promotion, that were inextricably tied to each other, fighting alongside each other. Alas, Ospreay turned on him, explaining that even if everyone else in PROGRESS had forgiven him, he hadn't. Havoc had tried to kill him, destroy his body, his livelihood, as evidenced by those gifs. Out comes Paul Robinson, Havoc's former goon and Ospreay's original tag partner as well as trainer. They both beat down Havoc.

None of this would have the impact without that match and those crazy bumps. This is a blood feud and Ospreay, while of course a total asshole, has the right to still hold a grudge against Jimmy and want to see him hurt. From a business standpoint, it (and other events of course) also marks the real upswing of the BritWres scene to where now multiple promotions are drawing thousands of people on the weekends on a monthly basis and the WWE want in on it.

So er yeah, there is a very good reason behind Ospreay bumping on his fucking neck for the business.

Wow... thanks for that write up.

Ronin Ray

Well, I disagree but I have no metrics aside of my own perception. He was very big in my country when WWF started to get popular, to the point that children were of Hogan or Warrior. The only "proof" II can offer is Mania VI and the atmosphere they created but I lack the knowledge to rate that against other events.

And I don't know what Hogan is doing here, I was not discussing him. Anyway you have your feelings and I respect them but he will always be a legend for me.

No problem sorry if I came off attacking your opinions are anything. I think Warrior had a cool look and mystique

Fuck Hulk Hogan

Yes this is a post I can get behind.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think HHH's sledgehammer might be the stupidest signature weapon ever. He can't even hit people with it. He just stabs them with it.

Speaking of, Vince McMahon contacted the producers of Baywatch recently and discussed doing a wrestling-themed episode of the show featuring several WWF stars, but was turned down (a year or so later, WCW would end up doing that).

Good ol' Vinnie Mac.

Also

The SMW angle where Chris Candido killed the cat was edited off show by the Atlanta TV station that airs it.

Someone care to elaborate?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also on Jericho's podcast, Rusev says that he wanted to come to America since he was in third grade and that his desire to do so influenced by Hulk Hogan's American propaganda.

Menome

Also on Jericho's podcast, Rusev says that he wanted to come to America since he was in third grade and that his desire to do so influenced by Hulk Hogan's American propaganda.

Noooo, Rusev, don't be helping bring him back into public consciousness.

Also, RIP George Steele.

Sephzilla

#17 is totally going to be at WrestleMania next year especially if they still have 2 world titles. And the show will end with Vince McMahon and Ric Flair both gobbling Cena's knob

Hasney

#17 is totally going to be at WrestleMania next year especially if they still have 2 world titles. And the show will end with Vince McMahon and Ric Flair both gobbling Cena's knob

I'm telling you, I wish a bookie would take my bet. Randys at 12, he can get to 16 by the end of the year easily. Hold the belt up for some reason due to SCHENANIGANS and Cena V Orton to see who breaks the record.

Top Bottom