• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Faction: Guerilla Thread of Rhinopackin' through Space

Amir0x

Banned

(click for website)

I'm handling E3 business but I thought that I'd take this time out to make the official thread for a really special game coming out June 2.

For the record, yes I just cropped banners and shit from Gamestop fliers. I CAN DO WHAT I WANT. The real important thing is this game is badass.

Let me get this out of the way:

Yes, the game is brown and red and has LOL BALD SPACE CHARACTER. It takes place on Mars you unbelievably stupid motherfucker. Go cut your own tongue out yo' mouth before you bring that shit to this thread.

RELEASE DATE AND PRE-ORDER BONUSES

RedFactionRelease.jpg

A handbook guide (gamestop) vs. a golden hammer (amazon). I'd go with Amazon just because it makes GAF some money.

Also, release is AUGUST 25th for Windows users. And June 5th for Europe.

GAME INFO

RedFactionSmall.jpg
RedFactionSmallImage2.jpg

So basically in the year 2075, Earth Defense Force received a distress signal from the miners on Mars saying that they overthrew the Ultor Corporation after years of oppression and hard shit. Then EDF sets up camp to keep control, the miners think things are cool. They're not. Years down the line, the EDF is pretty much exactly like Ultor. Oppressin' shit. You're part of the rebellion to fuck their mars colony UP. And by fuck it up, I mean literally dismantle the establishment with a fucking hammer.

GEOMOD 2.0

Here is the reason this game is so cool. Now, most titles which have destruction talk a lot of game, but are simply marketing gimmicks hiding behind the reality of ultra predictable prefabricated bullshit.

In Red Faction: Guerilla, when you hit shit it will break. Now I am not a master of physics but I know this. It breaks a lot more fucking realistically than any game I have ever played in my life.

Here is a video demonstrating said destruction.

I've had buildings collapse on me as I was destroying them "strategically", I've had pylons go flying and hit me from afar after a well played implosion. And that's just in the puny demos.

And the gameworld is HUUUUGE. It's one of them newfangled "open worlds" you hear about, only it's on Mars. And you can destroy every building and piece of architecture you see with a fucking ostrich. It's fucking rad.

MULTIPLAYER

Not content to have a buttload of singleplayer content, many good games today have a halfway decent multiplayer component. This one is far more than halfway decent.

What is better that shooting shit and destroying everything in sight? How about doing all that shit with JETPACKS, RHINOPACKS WHICH PLOW THROUGH BUILDINGS, CONCUSSION PACKS, FUCKING X-RAY VISION PACKS. There's packs for goddamn everything. It's all supremely well balanced by the fact that only so many players can have a particular pack at a time, and each pack has some limitation to their ability which forces one to use it strategically.

It is so addicting. The multiplayer demo has me playing more than any 360 game since L4D.

Here is a video demonstrating the fucktacular multiplayer component.

WHATCHA WAITIN' FOR?

Ok so I know next week is E3 and that's like some religious ceremony wherein all sheltered geeks gather in some ritualistic display of nerdly fortitude and as such you give up playing games like you're fasting or some shit in order to watch executives who hate you announce shit you don't want.

All for that BUZZ.

Well I say, E3 is cool but FUCKING BUY RED FACTION.

That is all.

Odyssey

Banned
So excited. Volition is on a roll with their games. Walking right through buildings as a Mech is funny and awesome. I hope it feels more than you're typical sandbox 3rd person shooter, but I'm trusting that even so it'll be worth it for the unique destruction.

Phthisis

Day 1.

I have had endless fun with the MP demo and it provides a whole new way to conceptualize multiplayer in games.

Amir0x

Banned
Shawsie64 said:
Cant wait, is PC version being released at same time as consoles?

August 25th, unfortunately. yeah it's a pretty big little gap there, I should have said

Europe gets the game June 5th

Shawsie64

Banned
Amir0x said:
August 25th, unfortunately. yeah it's a pretty big little gap there, I should have said

Europe gets the game June 5th

hmmm might pick up on PS3 then i supose, bit long to wait even though id prefer the PC version.. might have to buy twice :lol

Can't wait

I might actually buy this game twice when the PC version comes out. Of course i'll trade the inferior console version though.:D Just messin(kinda) don't flip

Yeah they are giving me a free game and some other stuff for the Ostrich hammer thing, so I am excited too! I will post pics of the stuff when I get it! Go Volition!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
No mention of this being the third game in the series?
Lets not belittle how awesome RF1 was... and 2 wasnt so bad (it just didn't live up to the promises of the series, that hopefully Guerilla will)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Costanza said:
I still need to play the demo. Beta from months back was AWESOME though.

If you like the beta then the current state of the game is going to blow your mind. Soo so much better.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
John Harker said:
No mention of this being the third game in the series?
Lets not belittle how awesome RF1 was... and 2 wasnt so bad (it just didn't live up to the promises of the series, that hopefully Guerilla will)

Those were not so awesome, imo.

But this demo sure was. I like how many little paths I took in the demo. All that groovy emergent gameplay. Ok, maybe, but it does seem like fun.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Has anyone said how long the game is? I leave Philadelphia in a week from tomorrow and my roommate has a 360 and I was thinking about playing through a game and since Red Faction is my favorite FPS of all time, I want to play through this. Wait, fuck. It gets released on June 2nd. Nevermind then. The demo is awesome at least.

Amir0x

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Has anyone said how long the game is? I leave Philadelphia in a week from tomorrow and my roommate has a 360 and I was thinking about playing through a game and since Red Faction is my favorite FPS of all time, I want to play through this. Wait, fuck. It gets released on June 2nd. Nevermind then. The demo is awesome at least.

Well the mars overworld looked HUUUUUUGE in the demo, but who knows how long the SP is.

The multiplayer is a trillion infinity hours of gameplay though

Amir0x

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
The hammer is already a one hit kill. How is the golden hammer more powerful?

maybe there are certain buildings and structures which require more localized damage, and the golden sledgehammer does it?

See also: Big vehicles like the mech

otakuderek

My friend asked me to download the mp demo tonight because he said it was amazing. I was kinda worried since the other Red Factions were FPS and this is third person now but OH MAN! This game is AWESOME!!! Thinking I need to go to work and pre-order this tomorrow!

love the look of this game, have feeling will be over looked with prototype, infamous etc

oh and I wanted the ostrich hammer, not a golden hammer. gold prices are weak in mars I hear.

Interfectum

So basically in the year 2075, Earth Defense Force received a distress signal from the miners on Mars saying that they overthrew the Ultor Corporation after years of oppression and hard shit.

The same Ultor from Saints Row 2? Do these games take place in the same universe? Is this canon? :lol

Gowans

Best set of demo's ever, came out of nowhere & I can't wait for this, think the UK release is a week Friday away.

Shame they couldn't get the PC version out at the same time. As long as it isn't as bad as the SR2 port then I think it will be worth the wait.

Dead Man

Interfectum said:
The same Ultor from Saints Row 2? Do these games take place in the same universe? Is this canon? :lol
In the DLC for SR2, research for mining is mentioned, and the EDF armour and recon car are avilaible.

Gowans

bestami said:
That ostrich video impressed me more than the actual gameplay videos.

For ppl who haven't watched it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKi5-ZSKh24

Haha I remember that thread, I heard about it on ListenUp from David Eliss but I didn't know they did this video.

After Watching it :lol :lol :lol what a response, Volition are AWESOME! Really funny and well put together video!

rfost936.jpg

I will have it unlocked!

OneLetter

Yay, our own thread! WOO!

Here's something all of you might be interested in. On May 29th (This Friday) from 10AM-4PM CST, we'll be producing a live web stream over at Justin.tv. Throughout the six hour show, we'll be bringing in multiple members of the development team to not only play the game 3 days before it is released to the general public, but much, much more.

We'll be running a live chat inside of our channel as well and encouraging questions from our fans, as well as suggestions on parts of the game you may want to see before it is released. We'll try to keep the Single Player Story Mode spoilers to a minimum (we will be doing a few of the opening missions), but our goal is to show off a little bit of each part of the game, as well as give a whole bunch of developer insight.

Who knows, maybe we'll even go on a search for the largest structure in the game...

The official channel for the stream is http://www.justin.tv/volition. You'll need a registered username on the justin.tv website in order to ask questions in the chat.

Also, the pre-order Walker Figurine can be found:

In the US @ Best Buy
In the UK @ GAME
In AU @ EB Games

I've listed all of the pre-order stuff in this thread as well: http://community.redfaction.com/forums/topic/2164

Day 1, been having a blast with both demos.

One question though, will vehicles make an appearance in any of the multiplayer maps or modes?

cleveridea said:
love the look of this game, have feeling will be over looked with prototype, infamous etc

The muliplayer will either sell this or it won't. If it really is as good as it's supposed to be, word of mouth will take care of everything.

Loved the first game. Hated the second. The single player and beta multi I played of this was off the hook though. :D Will be picking this up on release. :D

Concept17

So...I JUST realized this game is made by Volition. How did I not know this before? I LOVED Saint's Row 2.

Guess I'll try out that MP demo. Though, regardless of how fun it is, I'll probably have to wait to get it since I just picked up Infamous, UFC, and Sacred 2.

Top Bottom