• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
mrkgoo said:
Yup.

But it's also Apple's image. The clickwheel was both intuitive (although I didn't like it), and iconic. A circle essentially became the symbol for an iPod.

With few controls on the iPhone, it's clear to me Apple intended the touch screen to BE that icon. Just look how recognisable a black rectangle with a few coloured squares is as an iPhone. Genius. And it has every other company stumbling to replicate that.
I can agree with this.

You know it's an iPhone.

Any other random phone GUI screenshot and I wouldn't even take notice. This was even before I had the device.

dallow_bg said:
I can agree with this.

You know it's an iPhone.

Any other random phone GUI screenshot and I wouldn't even take notice. This was even before I had the device.
Yeah a homebrew theme seems like a really good solution if you want people to mistake your iPhone for a Samsung Instinct or some other shitty knock-off.

Semi-related, I got to play with a Palm Pre for the first time last night. Not sure what I think of it yet. Really beautiful screen, nice GUI and I love the multi-tasking but it often seemed slow to respond and generally chuggy. Also the "real" keyboard is too cramped to be really useful.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
LCfiner said:
looks like a usability nightmare.

Don't knock it before you've tried it. I've used it for about a year, give or take. I turn on 'dim background image' in winterboard, which makes the icons brighter and easy to see.

Blackhead

Redarse
DaCocoBrova said:
Don't knock it before you've tried it. I've used it for about a year, give or take. I turn on 'dim background image' in winterboard, which makes the icons brighter and easy to see.
Oh didn't think of that. I was just playing devil's advocate but that setup seems worthy of a try.

Er, back to actual news?

AT&T: Don’t Blame Us For The iPhone’s Google Voice Ban

The message below was written by Glenn Lurie, AT&T’s President of Emerging Devices and Resale.

Your letter concerning Apple’s decision on the Google Voice iPhone app was forwarded to me since I work closely with Apple.

While we’re very proud to offer the iPhone 3GS along with the thousands of apps available through the App Store, AT&T does not manage the App Store – and we are not involved in the approval process for apps in the App Store. I recommend in this particular case that you express your concerns to Apple.

I’m glad you’re enjoying your iPhone and hope that you continue to be an AT&T customer. We appreciate and value your business.

Sincerely,
Glenn Lurie​

Google Voice app GV Mobile ported to jailbroken iPhones, web app version in the works

So well-mannered, straight-laced iPhone users got a pretty big slap in the face yesterday by way of Apple's (and AT&T's, no doubt) total Google Voice rejection. Looks like jailbreakers are picking up the pieces, as GV Mobile developer Sean Kovacs -- whose app was in the iTunes store for some time before being yanked yesterday -- has ported the Voice client over to Cydia free of charge, although donations are gladly accepted. Even more interesting, but less concrete, Kovacs said he was already working on a web app version, possibly for submission to Palm's app catalog. No word on the fate of GVdialer, an app that was also unceremoniously pulled, but we wouldn't be surprised if it followed in similar footsteps.

Steve Frank, of Panic, is quitting the iPhone, says the Google Voice fiasco is the last straw

...But after an entire year of continuous bad decisions that are hostile to developers and consumers alike, we’ve moved on from “working out the kinks” to good old-fashioned getting fucked...

...After evaluating the available options, I’m doing three things until there’s a resolution:

1) Converting my iPhone SIM into a DataConnect SIM for use with a laptop. For now, at least, Apple can’t dictate which Mac applications I can run. And should the day come that they decide to try, I’m off the platform.

2) Switching to a Palm Pre for voice and light data usage. I looked at the Pre and the G1. The Pre is (very) slightly better at what I need. They are both lousy in comparison to the iPhone. And Sprint’s coverage sucks in my neighborhood. I’m going to completely hate using it. I am voluntarily going to make my own life a bit worse because I believe in certain principles. But I’m going to love not supporting a rotten app store. (Palm’s app store is still in a beta lock-down — they haven’t had a chance to screw it up yet. If they do, it’ll be time for Plan C.)

3) Not buying any future iPhone OS based devices, including the “tablet”, should it ever surface, until the issues with app store policy are demonstrably improved.

RoughlyDrafted Magazine provides a history of multitasking* by Apple, Microsoft and Palm in The Palm Pre/iPhone Multitasking Myth

Even more shocking, however, is the conspicuous lack of attention to the reality that the Palm Pre, currently running on Sprint’s CDMA network and expected to reach Verizon Wireless’s CDMA network early next year, can’t do simultaneous voice and data. This isn’t a limitation in Palm’s operating system, but rather a major lapse in Qualcomm’s CDMA/EVDO network technology.

CDMA (voice) and EVDO (3G data), unlike UMTS/HSDPA, can’t perform simultaneous voice and data at once. It also lacks GSM’s inherent ability to conference multiple parties at once into the same call. ”EVDO rev A“ has the technical capacity to handle a voice and data connection at once, but this requires handling the voice conversation via VoIP as data rather than a normal cellular voice circuit, something the Palm Pre can’t do (and apparently no other Sprint or Verizon phones can do either).

And the Top 10 Funniest iPhone Videos

The iPhone has been a source of a lot of jokes and parody these past two years. Here are 10 of the funniest videos involving the iPhone.
1. MADtv

2. Steve Ballmer Scoffs at iPhone

3. Cell Phone Reunion

4. Rejected Voiceover

5. Smudge Proof

6. No Flash

7. Elizabeth’s Mom

8. Store Room

9. Director David Lynch

10. Xiaxue Reviews the iPhone

Honorable Mention: Steve Jobs and the Rotary Dial iPhone

Joke gets set up about 1:22 in.

Honorable Mention 2: Get the Blackberry on the iPhone

Brilliant financial advice from TheStreet.com.

* PS from the roughtlydrafted piece
In fact, the main reason Windows users complain about iTunes is because it spawns a variety of independent processes that work fine on Unix but cause Windows to kneel over and beg for mercy because it isn’t designed to handle multitasking with the same level of modern sophistication as Mac OS X.
dude doesn't pull punches

I've decided to slowly redo my iPhone, bit by bit, with Nintendo themes, starting with the dialer.

Thoughts?

dialer.PNG

The foreign looking text is Hylian. :)

Cyport

I have some few small problems with iTunes, didnt know where to post this so thought here as its a more active thread.

I have two albums, Circus by Britney Spears and The Circus by Take That, iTunes notes these as two seperate albums and the difference being "The". However on my iPhone it puts this as one album, called Circus and has all the songs from both of these albums. Any way to correct it?

The other problem is that when creating playlists, i made one in numerical order but the order is like this

etc.

Can this be done so it's like 1-12 in order?

Like I said these are small problems but would be nice to fix. :)

mrkgoo

Cyport said:
I have some few small problems with iTunes, didnt know where to post this so thought here as its a more active thread.

I have two albums, Circus by Britney Spears and The Circus by Take That, iTunes notes these as two seperate albums and the difference being "The". However on my iPhone it puts this as one album, called Circus and has all the songs from both of these albums. Any way to correct it?

The other problem is that when creating playlists, i made one in numerical order but the order is like this

etc.

Can this be done so it's like 1-12 in order?

Like I said these are small problems but would be nice to fix. :)
1) check your meta data. Itune has the album name field, buy also a sort field ( used for removing 'the' from names so alphabetic order doesn't consider it as a 't'). Possibly editing the sort fields to be different for each album may solve it, such as calling one "Circus a" in the sort field. Ply around.

2) possible that the play list is ordering them by alphabetical order because the song number field in the meta data is empty. Enter numbers into the track number field.

Cyport

mrkgoo said:
1) check your meta data. Itune has the album name field, buy also a sort field ( used for removing 'the' from names so alphabetic order doesn't consider it as a 't'). Possibly editing the sort fields to be different for each album may solve it, such as calling one "Circus a" in the sort field. Ply around.

2) possible that the play list is ordering them by alphabetical order because the song number field in the meta data is empty. Enter numbers into the track number field.

1) Yep fixed :) thanks, saw it said sort field as Circus and changed it to The Circus

2) about the playlist I'll show a pic so you see what I mean, the tracks do have numbers already.

itunes.jpg

The 5 is below 26

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Cyport said:
1) Yep fixed :) thanks, saw it said sort field as Circus and changed it to The Circus

2) about the playlist I'll show a pic so you see what I mean, the tracks do have numbers already.

itunes.jpg

The 5 is below 26
Can you use double digits on all of them?

01 02 03... 10 11 12

Tobor

crisdecuba said:
This is why I'm posting the progress - to get feedback. What inconsistencies do you notice?

Go classic 8 bit style(my preference) or go modern, but you can't do both, especially on the same screen.

Tobor said:
Go classic 8 bit style(my preference) or go modern, but you can't do both, especially on the same screen.
16 bit (Link to the Past), but yeah, I see what you mean. Let me see if I can find a better Big Key to use.

mrkgoo

Cyport said:

itunes.jpg

The 5 is below 26

Problem with Sort field as "The Circus", is that it puts i unders the 'Ts', right?

Also, rather than double digits, the best thing to start doing is label dates Year/Month/Date. Works better for computing in general.

Cyport

mrkgoo said:
Problem with Sort field as "The Circus", is that it puts i unders the 'Ts', right?

Also, rather than double digits, the best thing to start doing is label dates Year/Month/Date. Works better for computing in general.

Yeah it's under "Ts" now, I don't mind about that too much, just as long they are separate albums. I could try and do an invisible character after it so that it will show up as two albums under C.
Thanks for the tip

mrkgoo

Cyport said:
Yeah it's under "Ts" now, I don't mind about that too much, just as long they are separate albums. I could try and do an invisible character after it so that it will show up as two albums under C.
Thanks for the tip

It doesn't have to be invisible. You can type Circus A and Circus B respectively in the sort fields, but keep the Album Title fields as they are (ie. Circus and The Circus). Then both will be under 'C's. The sort field is exactly as it implies - it's only used for sorting. It's only referred to for sorting. As far as I understand how it works.

For example, I have a movie that I want to show up at the end of my movies list, so I put the sort field as ZZZ, but it's title is normal.

Cyport

mrkgoo said:
It doesn't have to be invisible. You can type Circus A and Circus B respectively in the sort fields, but keep the Album Title fields as they are (ie. Circus and The Circus). Then both will be under 'C's. The sort field is exactly as it implies - it's only used for sorting. It's only referred to for sorting. As far as I understand how it works.

For example, I have a movie that I want to show up at the end of my movies list, so I put the sort field as ZZZ, but it's title is normal.

Ah well I just put a space after one of them and it worked, but yeah I understand why Circus A and Circus B would be better if I had another album called Circus it would be Circus C and etc.

Another thing I just realised is that playlist folders don't seem to sync with the iPhone, only the playlist itself, is that normal? Mind you I have selected songs which could be the reason.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You're really asking this? It tells you exactly what it's doing when you install it:

7-31-09iphone301.jpg

I didn't try to download or install it because I was eager to restore my data to the brand new 3GS I just came home with.

There's so much anger in your posts. Cheer up!

btrboyev said:
the symbols for numbers on the keypad..then regular old numbers for your clock.

ditch the symbols.

Thanks for the comment, but I'm going to stick with Hylian for the numbers on the dialpad. I would use it elsewhere, but getting the font into the iPhone for the various other areas is too much of a hassle.

DarkJC

DoctorWho said:
There's a huge thread over at RFD with people waiting as long or longer than me. Did you order a 32gb 3gs over the phone or on the website?

Yeah, Rogers really dropped the ball (as usual). But I'm surprised you haven't gotten yours yet. I ordered a 32GB 3GS Black on the 22nd and I got mine 2.5 weeks ago

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Why does iTunes on PC take so long to process music from the Store?

Downloads super quick, followed by 10 minutes of 'Processing file.'

Urghhhhhhhh

DarkJC said:
Yeah, Rogers really dropped the ball (as usual). But I'm surprised you haven't gotten yours yet. I ordered a 32GB 3GS Black on the 22nd and I got mine 2.5 weeks ago

I actually got it today. :D From what I can see there really seems to be no reason to who gets an iphone when. There are people who ordered on the 19th who still haven't received their order.

Blackhead

Redarse
Michael Arrington quit the iPhone over Google Voice as well

...No, what finally put me over the edge is the Google Voice debacle.

Most of you won’t know what I’m talking about, so I’ll explain.

Google Voice is a call management service that lets you determine what calls get through to you based on who’s calling and what time of day it is, among other factors. It has amazing features, like automatically transcribing all your voicemails. And you can forward calls to any other phone easily and automatically. Here’s an overview of the service if you aren’t familiar with it.

I’ve always wanted to use Google Voice but there’s a big switching cost - changing your phone number. Too many people have that phone number and use it to call in great stories. There’s no way I’m giving that up. And there’s another problem with Google Voice. When you make outbound calls from a phone, it (obviously) doesn’t use your Google Voice phone number, so recipients don’t know it’s you calling. Those were two hurdles I wasn’t willing to jump over.

But now Google is planning on rolling out number portability, so I can move my mobile phone number to Google. None of my friends, family or contacts have to store a new number.

That still leaves the problem of outbound calls, though. I can move my mobile number to Google and then get a new iPhone account, but outbound calls won’t be identified because they are on the new number. Google has a solution for that too, though. They are releasing apps for a variety of handsets that effectively take over the native dialer, address book and call log. Problem solved. I can use any phone I like, or a bunch of phones, and just choose the one that makes sense at any time. I never have to be tied to a carrier and their restrictive contracts again.

Or so I thought. Apple and AT&T are now blocking the iPhone version of the Google Voice app. Why? Because they absolutely don’t want people doing exactly what I’m doing - moving their phone number to Google and using the carrier as a dumb pipe.

So I have to choose between the iPhone and Google Voice. It’s not an easy decision. Except, it sort of is. Google isn’t forcing the decision on me, Apple and AT&T are. So I choose to work with the company that isn’t forcing me to do things their way. And in this case, that’s Google...

Dude's got a point, but he's such a fucking drama queen. Don't ever give Arrington attention. That's why he posts anything. He doesn't give a shit about making a real difference in tech improvement and discussion.

Tobor

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Dude's got a point, but he's such a fucking drama queen. Don't ever give Arrington attention. That's why he posts anything. He doesn't give a shit about making a real difference in tech improvement and discussion.

Definitely. The best thing Leo Laporte ever did was tell Arrington to fuck off on air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom