• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4/3 - Fight For Relief: Charity Event For JAPAN - iplaywinner x level|up

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
fightforrelief_banner2.png

Fight For Relief is a day of charity fighting game tournaments intended to raise funds for Japan relief efforts due to the earthquake and resulting tsunami that devastated the nation on March 11. It consists of two fighting game tournaments that will both be broadcast via a unified justin.tv stream, which will also accept online donations from viewers like you.

For the first time, two of the fighting game community’s premier streaming groups, iPLAYWINNER and Level | Up Series, in cooperation with Etrium Gaming District and the Fighting Gamers @ UCI, will be collaborating to broadcast an entertaining online show featuring giveaways, special guest interviews and top-level play in Super Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs Capcom 3 from the likes of EG Justin Wong, Alex Valle, John Choi and other competitive legends — all with the intention of raising awareness and donations along the way.

All tournament proceeds and donations raised from Fight for Relief will go towards a collective fundraiser on GlobalGiving.org, a website dedicated to social change and helping victims of natural disasters. More specifically, donations and proceeds will go towards a direct fund dedicated to Japan Earthquake and Tsunami relief efforts.
Through this event fighting game competitors and gamers alike will come together through our favorite hobby to help our fellow man in need. For more information on how to help us spread the word and maximize the impact of our donations, please visit the Connect page. If you’re located near our events in Union City or Irvine, California, please read the information located on this website and come out to support this amazing cause. For everyone else, we look forward to seeing you live via justin.tv/fightforrelief on April 3!

STREAM via IPLAYWINNER & LEVEL|UP

- justin.tv/fightforrelief

BROUGHT TO YOU IN PART BY

DONATE LINK
- http://fightforrelief.wordpress.com/donate/

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Taken From: http://fightforrelief.wordpress.com/donate/

Donate

Online Raffle Instructions

Throughout Fight for Relief we’ll be thanking those who donate online with a series online raffle prizes. Entering into these raffles is very simple.
1. First, donate online via Fight for Relief’s GlobalGiving fundraiser page.
2. You’ll then receive an email receipt. Forward this email to fightforrelief@gmail.com in order to verify your details.
Then watch Fight for Relief on justin.tv/fightforrelief to see if you win! We will also be contacting all winners by email. Check out what you could win!
Donation FAQ

Q. How can I be sure my donation is going to the right cause?
In utilizing GlobalGiving, you can be confident that your donation is going straight to the source of their Japan Earthquake and Tsunami relief fund. For online donations, Fight for Relief staff never actually comes in contact with the money you’ve donated, and instead only receives credit for being the one to acquire the donation on our fundraiser page. Your donation will go direct to the source and it’ll also stand as a statement from the fighting game community.
For the physical tournament proceeds, Fight for Relief is making transparency a top priority and will be releasing the receipts for all cash donations made at both the Northern California and Southern California venues here on our website.
Q. I received an email from both GlobalGiving AND PayPal. Which one do I send?
While either or will be fine, we’d greatly prefer the GlobalGiving email.
Q. I’m making a large donation in hopes of winning the Gold TE. Can I send you multiple donations?
In order to de-emphasize the award itself, we’re asking that you only donate one lump sum.

Photo by REUTERS/Kyodo

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Taken from:

http://fightforrelief.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/a-golden-opportunity/

A Golden Opportunity

With only two days remaining until Fight for Relief, it’s about time that we fill you all in on the special raffle prizes that we’ll be giving away to our online donators. But first, from all the Fight for Relief staff, we’d like to thank each and every one of you who has helped us spread the word about this fantastic event. From all the media coverage to the outpouring of positivity, it’s meant a lot to all of us and we can’t wait to kick off our fundraiser for Japan.

For those who are physically attending one of our Fight for Relief events (and you can find more information in the navigation to your right) we’ll have raffle promotions throughout the day, with more information available at the venues. Everyone else tuning into the live broadcast via justin.tv, we’ll have some very special gifts for those who choose to donate.

In order to participate in the online raffles, you’ll have to complete a very simple two-step process detailed on our Donate page. First, simply donate to the Fight for Relief Fundraiser on GlobalGiving.org, which will go live on April 3. You will then receive an email receipt. You must then forward this receipt to fightforrelief@gmail.com to participate in the raffle. This is basically an extra verification step for us to confirm your details and prevent someone from gaming the system.

So what prize could possibly be so great that we have to take extra precautions? Read on to find out..

While we’ll have plenty of smaller prizes to surprise you with throughout the broadcast from both iPlayWinner and Level | Up Series, there are two in particular that stand out.

The first is a very special prize package that we put together with the help of one of our favorite members of the global fighting game community. We’re extremely proud to announce our collaboration with the EVO 2010 Super Street Fighter IV Women’s Champion, Marie-Laure Norindr, better known as the Chun-li phenom, Kayane.

Like all of us, the ever gracious Kayane wanted to do what she could to help us raise money for Japan relief efforts and even agreed to run with what was admittedly a very goofy idea. To the two lucky donors who are selected for the Kayane prize package, they will receive a signed photo (taken by Minh Phan. Thanks, Minh!) of the champ herself, along with a Mad Catz Super Street Fighter IV Chun-Li Tournament Edition “S” FightStick.

We’re very thankful for Kayane’s help and we hope this will encourage even more people to donate to our cause!

And now for the big one..

Everyone here on the Fight for Relief staff is very serious about this cause and want to do everything we can to make this fundraiser a success and no one is more committed to this effort than Mark “MarkMan” Julio of Mad Catz. This should come as no surprise at all as MarkMan has always been extremely devoted to the fighting game community and has worked very hard over the past few years doing everything he can to help nurture and promote the scene. But we had no idea exactly how devoted he was to our charity efforts until he offered up one of the most sought after pieces of fighting game memorabilia ever created.

e5irfa.jpg

That’s right. A Golden Mad Catz EVO 2010 Tournament Edition Stick. And it’s going to whomever makes the single largest contribution to our fundraising effort.

The Golden TE is the stuff of legends. There were only 24 ever produced and the owner of this stick will become part of an extremely exclusive group of fighting game luminaries such as the legendary Daigo Umehara, Ricky Ortiz, Mike Ross, Capcom’s own Seth Killian, Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono and yeah, even Kayane.

There is no telling when any of these sticks will ever be up for grabs again and whomever makes the single largest contribution to our GlobalGiving fundraiser will have it shipped to them straight from MarkMan himself. We’re all committed to doing everything we can to make this fundraiser a success and nothing speaks more to this commitment than what MarkMan has contributed.

There are a few reasons why we’ve decided to go with this method as opposed to simply auctioning it off, the primary reason being we want it to go to a true hero of the fighting game community. Anyone can bid on an auction and if they lose, it’s no big deal. But with Fight for Relief it’ll take a true hero to step up and go big for Japan. We want those who donate to believe in our cause just as much as we do and nothing says commitment quite like a golden TE. We’ll be updating everyone with the status of the current highest contribution throughout the day so stay tuned on April 3!

Again, thank you all very much for your continued support and we’re looking forward to seeing you all on Sunday!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hi guys...

If you can make it to this event. Please make it, it's for a good cause whether you're in NorCal or SoCal!

If you can't! Then watch the stream and donate/encourage others to donate! Every little bit helps. There will be prizes from the above companies at the event and giveaways on the stream/twitter as well.

I'll be at the SoCal one helping push this event...

El Sloth

Banned
Great thread MarkMan! East Coast here so I can't make it out, but I will definitely be watching the stream. I'll see if I can convince some friends to donate too.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Props to IPW and L|U for organizing this event, and to MarkMan again for donating such awesome prizes for a good cause.

I'm stuck on the east coast as well, but will definitely be tuning in and spreading the word.

ajpotato214

Neo Member
Thanks MarkMan for doing this!

MarkMan and I will make sure to give special shoutouts to all the people on GAF watching.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Other ways you can help...

slideshow1.jpg

Our hearts go out to the victims of the recent Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. 100% of the profits generated from this shirt will be donated directly to charity. This item will only be available until the 1st of April, then it will be sold out forever!

Koogy (BROKENTIER) has notified me that he will be extending this shirt offer until tomorrow/midnight.

Kapwan

Neo Member
I think we should see a good turnout for both tourneys. Hopefully the Gaf community will show support on the stream.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shout out to Level|Up and iPlaywinner and all for organizing this. Will watch the stream. Worst time not to have $1< in the Paypal. D: Props to MarkMan for putting the word out too.

@bistromathics, stream starts in about 20 mins if I have my timezones right.

2Crisis

bistromathics said:
I have the tan/black one. it's great

when's the stream start, btw?

soon!, listed as 1pm pacific.

I'll def be watching and supporting this. Good Stuff Jared and Markman

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is no one else watching this?

Dat Raging Demon punish. Looks like Magneto was trying to do gravity squeeze too.

G-Pink

Been excited to see how this would shape up since I heard Jared on the Bombcast. Just gave 100 bucks to the effort, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see how much has been donated, even before the matches have begun!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Over 9,000 bucks.
The fighting game community is so damn awesome.

Mad props to all of you guys.

Mr Jared

THIS. IS. MADNESS.

Thanks all for tuning in :D Sorry I haven't been able to chat more, I've been having to run all over the place.

Azure J

Yo Marvel! is so fucking good. Also, agreed with h3ro, Lee Chung & Yipes are like the voices of Marvel for me now, everyone else pales in comparison, outside of Marn who just delivers nonstop lulz. :lol

h3ro said:
NOELLLL BROOOOOWWWWWWN

:lol

This was too good. :lol

h3ro

Mr Jared said:
THIS. IS. MADNESS.

Thanks all for tuning in :D Sorry I haven't been able to chat more, I've been having to run all over the place.

Are you playing in the tourney or just commentating today?

Great stuff so far, can't wait for the heavy hitters to start. Hoping to see Justin's Ironman team.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mr Jared said:
THIS. IS. MADNESS.

More Vince McMahon please!

Haunts on blast!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
h3ro said:

Great stuff so far, can't wait for the heavy hitters to start. Hoping to see Justin's Ironman team.
Yeah there is some damn good play going right now but I'm stoked for SoCal/Level|Up stream with Ultradavid/James Chen madness.

And Justin is running his Iron Man team now? :3

Mr Jared

h3ro said:

I am doing everything BUT playing x____x Hope we can get some WWE All-Stars in at some point.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The haunts special :lol getting blown up on the stream haha

Nice seeing a good Deadpool, especially considering heavy Deadpool use was only pre-release when the game was missing half it's characters.

h3ro

enzo_gt said:
And Justin is running his Iron Man team now? :3

Yeah, read in the Mahvel thread that he ran a Spiderman/Ironman/? team and even some Thor.

I watched some of the archive from the Houston stream last night and Justin was still using his She Hulk team and finished off the tourney with his Wolvie/Akuma team.

I'd love to see some high level Thor stuff and see what SKill was raving about before launch.

Mr Jared said:
I am doing everything BUT playing x____x Hope we can get some WWE All-Stars in at some point.

If we can't get All-Stars on the stream, hopefully we get some Thor Randy Savage elbow action!

Also, Haunts coming to the EST!? Dude's gonna be break dancing outside Henry Cen's arcade. I hope Spooky streams it.

Top Bottom