• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Minsc

Gold Member
Two new releases today (that are actually new):

4vn7H1R.png
  $14.99  Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space (2015, Action/Adventure/Sci-fi) ║ 25% off until April 17, at 9:59 AM GMT.
4vn7H1R.png
  $19.99  Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today (2015, Adventure/Point-and-click/Sci-fi) ║ 10% off until April 17, at 9:59 AM GMT.

Neither had any recent / |OT|s to reference though, and I have no time to dig up impressions atm.

Edit: Also, the weekend promo, Ubiverse, which has "Up to 75% off Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Settlers 2 Anniversary, Prince of Persia, Rayman Origins, and more." So might be something worthwhile in there if you haven't gotten HoM&M 3 or some other classics.

Tizoc

Which of the Settlers games are worth getting, and are 'kid friendly'? My nephew liked playing Age of Empires 2 on my PC and I'd like to have a game that's a little easier for him to grasp.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Which of the Settlers games are worth getting, and are 'kid friendly'? My nephew liked playing Age of Empires 2 on my PC and I'd like to have a game that's a little easier for him to grasp.

The Settlers games are all kid friendly in terms of content, but are all far more complicated then AOE2.

Tizoc

The Settlers games are all kid friendly in terms of content, but are all far more complicated then AOE2.

Interesting, well if I can only get 1 Settlers game, it'd be Settlers 2 right? What's the overall ranking of the games?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Thanks.
Any major differences between 2 and 3 that are on gog?

Settlers 3 is pretty similar to 2, just added a bunch more resource chains on top of what was already there.

The 10th anniversary version is a remake they did with full 3d graphics. Probably a little more palatable to a kid.

Tizoc

So who owns the Dune video game series' license? Dune 2000 was one of my most played games on my dad's laptop back in the day :p

EDIT: OK I have completely forgotten how to play Zeus O_O

Minsc

Gold Member
Couple releases added to the OP today:

f2zDDo4.png
  $19.99  Age of Wonders 3: Eternal Lords (2015, Strategy/Turn-based/Fantasy) ║ |OT|
4vn7H1R.png
  $14.99  Titan Souls (2015, Action/Combat/Fantasy) ║ |OT|
f2zDDo4.png
   $9.99  REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR (2014, Shooter/Arcade/Sci-fi) ║ 60% off until April 19, at 12:59 PM GMT.

No recent threads on Revolver360, but the other two have OTs (Eternal Lords being an AoW3 expansion just links to the AoE3 thread... which is said to be a damn great game that goes criminally unnoticed, of which I'm guilty myself).

Persona7

Banned
Damn, I wish that slender man game was included in the horror game bundle. I want to try it again but not at full price.

ricki42

Nikodemos

Okay, so final hours. I'm conflicted about a choice I have to make. Do I get a bunch of smaller cheaper games, or a single more expensive game? Should I buy the shmup+puzzle bundles, Age of Wonders III (+ the first add-on), or Divinity: OS?

Kagemusha

Divinity: OS will have an update to version 2.0 some months from now. Wait for that and the inevitable sale.

Age of Wonders with all DLC will probably be much cheaper in the next sale if you can wait 90 days.

I'd go for bundles or cheap games.

Persona7

Banned
Okay, so final hours. I'm conflicted about a choice I have to make. Do I get a bunch of smaller cheaper games, or a single more expensive game? Should I buy the shmup+puzzle bundles, Age of Wonders III (+ the first add-on), or Divinity: OS?

What do you think you will enjoy more? In that situation I would personally go for the shmup things but that is my personal taste.

Nikodemos

Divinity: OS will have an update to version 2.0 some months from now. Wait for that and the inevitable sale.

Age of Wonders with all DLC will probably be much cheaper in the next sale if you can wait 90 days.

I'd go for bundles or cheap games.
Very true, but I'd like to support smaller devs like Triumph and Larian, who put out top-notch games (heck, AoW3 is the only big-name classical TBS on the market right now; I absolutely refuse to install UPlay). Then again, my gaming budget this month is rather restricted due to various personal issues.

What do you think you will enjoy more? In that situation I would personally go for the shmup things but that is my personal taste.
I like TBS and TBRPG roughly equally. The packs offer more games, but TBH I'm not exactly a fan of Japanese-style bullet hell shmups. I find them a bit frantic and twitchy. FWIW, my absolutely favourite shmup, unrivalled since, remains Tyrian. The puzzle-platformers look interesting, but I haven't played one in a long while.

Knurek

Very true, but I'd like to support smaller devs like Triumph and Larian, who put out top-notch games (heck, AoW3 is the only big-name classical TBS on the market right now; I absolutely refuse to install UPlay). Then again, my gaming budget this month is rather restricted due to various personal issues.

Umm, Endless Legend?

Minsc

Gold Member
Finally got the OP up to date for the entire year (for a list of all the releases). GOG doing 10-12+ game releases a week vs 3 or 4 really burns through that character limit a lot faster (and makes it a bit more work to catch up when they do their 9 releases in a day thing)!

Finally got the OP up to date for the entire year (for a list of all the releases). GOG doing 10-12+ game releases a week vs 3 or 4 really burns through that character limit a lot faster (and makes it a bit more work to catch up when they do their 9 releases in a day thing)!

This year has made me pretty optimistic about gog's future. There's now games from multiple Japanese developers, games from Disney and day one releases from smaller devs/publishers. Must be a lot easier for GOG to convince publishers to open up their back catalogues these days(unless they have a competing store).

I think all that's left is for a major publisher to take a gamble and trust drm-free for a day one AAA release.

ricki42

That's an impressive list. And thanks for taking the extra time to add the release platforms, I really appreciate it!

Tizoc

Boop~
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim GOG Key -- MB-04845322D4DE451F - Taken by Intel. 28 entrants total.

t1429717765z1.png

Dsyndrome

Nice update, handy way to check everything quickly!

draetenth

What's the overall verdict on Agarest: Generations of War Zero? Is it better than Agarest: Generations of War (which I have on Steam)? I've heard the series is grindy and mediocre... The reviews seem to say is better, but doesn't really give the impression that it's a good game...

jvm

Gamasutra.
I counted 26 GNU/Linux releases YTD. I was all set to be disappointed, and then I remembered what things were like back in the late 1990s...oh how far we've come.

ricki42

I counted 26 GNU/Linux releases YTD. I was all set to be disappointed, and then I remembered what things were like back in the late 1990s...oh how far we've come.

27, the Linux version of Lords of Xulima finally made it to GOG today! :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, it's so tough. I look through my library and see Ys VI sitting there... and I'm like "man, maybe if I click on it, they'll have accidentally uploaded the game and I can play it."

Nope.

April 28th is too far away :(

Persona7

Banned
Man, it's so tough. I look through my library and see Ys VI sitting there... and I'm like "man, maybe if I click on it, they'll have accidentally uploaded the game and I can play it."

Nope.

gives me time to finish the other YS games I am currently playing...but not enough time most likely.

Tizoc

Nope.

28th is also release date of Broken Age Ep. 2 ;D

Wasn't expecting Transistor, but I'm glad it's finally DRM-Free (with the soundtrack too).

Wishlisted for now (since I already did two playthroughs of it).

Top Bottom