• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 176 - June 2007

Mmmkay

Super Paper Mario (Wii): 7
Prince of Persia Rival Swords (Wii): 4
Mario Strikers Charged (Wii): 6
Boom Boom Rocket (XBLA): 5
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 (NDS): 7
Tomb Raider Anniversary (PC/PS2): 7
Shadow Hearts: From The New World (PS2): 6
Honeycomb Beat (NDS): 5
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (NDS): 4
Cooking Mama: Cook Off (Wii): 5
Superbike World Championship (PS2/PSP): 6

Time Extend: Nights (Saturn)
The Making Of: Nodes of Yesod (Spectrum/C64)

This month brought to you by ListenToNathan. No sign of the cover yet, sorry.

Orlics

I feel like getting a subscription to Edge, but the fact that it's 100 freaking dollars is kind of putting me off.

Funky Papa said:
I want to believe, but sometimes EDGE reviews are soo wonky.

Anniversary is Legends gameplay (with fan feedback of what needed to be fixed like auto grab and hints) in TR's remade world. It's got to be fantastic.

Rufus

Orlics said:
I feel like getting a subscription to Edge, but the fact that it's 100 freaking dollars is kind of putting me off.
Amen. I could get a translated version over here, but I'm reluctant to consider a possibly dodgy translation an alternative.

jjasper

Is Tomb Raider still coming for the PSP? Cause it is never mentioned but all the magazine ads list it along with the PS2 version.

Also I am glad someone finally got the SPM score right.

pilonv1

sp0rsk said:
What do they say about NiGHTS

Time Extended is just a look back at some great games and how they've influenced the industry. Once I get mine I'll post some quotes.

Fabiollo said:
Sooooooooooo wrong. I didn't read the review, though.

:lol So you disagree with the reviewer yet you don't even now what his argument is. EDGE threads always bring out the irrational fanboys.

DefectiveReject said:
Edge don't usually review US games

Yes they do, because of the Euro reasons listed before. Plus they'll review JP games that aren't story heavy. They may re-review Euro/Western releases if there have been any changes.

Valtox

Mmmkay said:
Super Paper Mario (Wii): 7
Prince of Persia Rival Swords (Wii): 4
Mario Strikers Charged (Wii): 6
Boom Boom Rocket (XBLA): 5
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 (NDS): 7
Tomb Raider Anniversary (PC/PS2): 7
Shadow Hearts: From The New World (PS2): 6
Honeycomb Beat (NDS): 5
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (NDS): 4
Cooking Mama: Cook Off (Wii): 5
Superbike World Championship (PS2/PSP): 6

Time Extend: Nights (Saturn)
The Making Of: Nodes of Yesod (Spectrum/C64)

This month brought to you by ListenToNathan. No sign of the cover yet, sorry.
2538squintav.gif

Safe Bet

Banned
TR:Legends wasn't bad imo (rented it for 360).

I'll have to check out Tomb Raider: Anniversary when it drops in price to >$25.

the fracture game LOOKS really nice...makes me think the star wars demo was real time...the environments in fracture look a little like the Halo MP level...but better (not saying the game is better, but the graphics are)

peace

twofold

Visualante said:
Features?
I still don't have my issue.

Its not the best unfortunately. Articles on Fracture, new Splinter Cell, Haze and Hydrophobia. Also features an article on devices games use to catch people's attentions.

There might be more though. Only had a flick through.

Edit -- Shamelessly stolen from the Edge website.

The June edition of Edge is on sale now. Inside, you’ll find raging torrents of water, forces that can tear the ground apart, graceful flight, and a man on the run for his life.

Beginning in the water, we investigate Hydrophobia, the new project from Blade that aims to realise true realtime fluid dynamics in gaming for the first time. Our cover feature brings us back down to Earth and takes on the might of Fracture, LucasArts’ game of near-future war fought with weaponry that can deform terrain to continually change the shape of the battlefield.

There’s more future fighting in Haze, Free Radical Design’s firstperson shooter with a dystopian twist, while Splinter Cell Conviction sees Sam Fisher on the run from his employers and sporting a new look. We also take a look at the methods employed by games to ensnare their players – and how they persuade them to keep playing.

Also, in regulars, Time Extend takes to the skies for Nights Into Dreams while The Making Of… tells the story of 8bit platforming legend Nodes Of Yesod.

haowan said:
The star wars demo was not real time.

ahh, okay, but seems like they will get close considering how fracture looks...animation is a different matter though...runs like he is sitting on a toilet seat

peace

metta

Is it my imagination, or are EDGE's NDS reviews consistently lower than everyone else? I think, last month, they gave Puzzle Quest 4/10, which is just nutty, and well below the community average for that title.

Durante

metta said:
Is it my imagination, or are EDGE's NDS reviews consistently lower than everyone else?
It's not just you. But their PS2, PS3, 360, Wii and PSP scores are also consistently lower than everyone else's. They use the full 1-10 scale, not just 5-10 or 6-10 like every other publication.

EDGE's scale is 1-10, their mean average is around 6.5-6.7 (according to their own database) but they don't review expectedly bad games (think of the trees).

They have given some DS games awesome scores- but I do think they rate portables lower usually. Their thoughts on Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
score
will be very interesting.

Previews:
Medal of Honour
Forza 2
Colin McRae: Dirt
Overlord
Flatout
RE4:Wii
RE:UC
Timeshift
Heist
Ninja Gaiden DS
Wii De Yawaraka Atama Juku
Kyataro Nishimura Suspense
OUENDAN 2

andthebeatgoeson

Durante said:
It's not just you. But their PS2, PS3, 360, Wii and PSP scores are also consistently lower than everyone else's. They use the full 1-10 scale, not just 5-10 or 6-10 like every other publication.
Yeah, and it makes their 10 score for Halo 1 suspect. No matter how well the multiplayer played out, for them to overlook problems in the single player and give it a perfect score is still a little tough to comprehend. I'm just arguing over little shit but I think it should have been a 9 (yeah, big whoop, right?). But the overuse of corridors and similar makeups of the internal levels was a big detractor.

Just sayin.

I just picked up my copy.

The review for TR:Anniversary shows promise.

If you enjoyed the first game it sounds like a must buy, review makes it sound like "fan service".

Even the old stand on a ledge and shoot until the animal dies routine still seems to be in place.

I can't wait to dive off the waterfall in Lost Valley in slightly better graphics. Hopefully the prog scan mode on the PS2 will be a little bit better than TR:Legends.

I played the original 4 levels so many times because I didn't initially have a memory card, I think I could complete them on auto-pilot.

There seems to be a typical Edge mistake in the RE Wii preview, they claim it is more than just port unlike the PS2 version because of the Ada Wong sections. Isn't the PS2 where these sections originated?

My favourite Edge mistake is the GT4 Prologue review. They didn't know you could race others cars, bit of an oversight when you claim a game only has time trial modes, when in fact the 6 car line racing was there all along.

Nick Laslett said:
There seems to be a typical Edge mistake in the RE Wii preview, they claim it is more than just port unlike the PS2 version because of the Ada Wong sections. Isn't the PS2 where these sections originated?
Capcom is using the game scenarios from the PS2 version of Resident Evil (which were built for PS2) but is recreating them in the GameCube engine so you can benefit from in game cut scenes.

In that sense it is more than just a PS2 port- visually.

Sorry for the bump. This couldn't mean Final Fantasy XIII could it?
screenshot171em5.jpg

If anyone don't know what the pic is, its a bunch of yellow feathers.. most likely next issue is gonna talk about Chocobos/Final Fantasy/Mascots or Chocobo Wii

flipping_heck said:
If anyone don't know what the pic is, its a bunch of yellow feathers.. most likely next issue is gonna talk about Chocobos/Final Fantasy/Mascots or Chocobo Wii

Seems spot on yeah.

flipping_heck said:
Chocobo Wii
Is it an EDGE game though? They haven't really featured many Wii games yet.. so maybe they're trying to balance it out a bit.

Is it really that interesting/pioneering? Looks like a kids game to me..

Alpha_eX

Visualante said:
Is it an EDGE game though? They haven't really featured many Wii games yet.. so maybe they're trying to balance it out a bit.

Chocobo Wii then. ;)

Visualante said:

EDGE's next month pages are usually very obscure, last month had a picture of a cracked ground which was a subtle clue towards LucasArt's Fracture game.
It could well be a Chocobo Wii game, but my big guess is a special feature column on mascots and since Chocobo is one of the biggest mascots in one og the biggest games, it would make sense to have a page of yellow feathers.. or im thinking way too deep into this..

Top Bottom