• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny viral marketing campaign/teaser sites begin

Remember if you are just lifting the direct ULR IMG from the site, it updates every 2-5 mins, which means people linking to image will always get a new image even when you post it on forums.

Best right click saving and hosting on another site, then post the pictures.

I have refreshed 6 images over last 30mins and they all have different file sizes and are different images, re-hosted from site.

Output.

1 - 358536 bytes
QIAEARr.png

2 - 366936 bytes
jqEqKW3.png

3 - 357238 bytes
S6sOOVK.png

4 - 363250 bytes
sm4tbQX.png

5 - 350185 bytes
GnVxOnb.png

6 - 360706 bytes
jLLAqYU.png

Geomask, matching.

1 - 20336 bytes
nGZlVS8.png

2 - 22367 bytes
UTx8Xd7.png

3 - 19660 bytes
jkvwltt.png

4 - 21665 bytes
hOrwYbW.png

5 - 17801 bytes
3yS2a8q.png

6 - 22198 bytes
AWciLZ1.png

Destiny taking place in an alternate universe where mankind once ruled thinking Earth was the centre of the universe? Or how about, the Traveller doesn't actually travel. Everything moves around it.

I don't know, now I'm starting to get crazy.

I hope that they put as much thought into the lore of their new game as they have this ARG. This has me rather hyped for a new world to explore...

You can UV map a texture to a 3D object using Maya, Photoshop, 3DStudio and a range of other software like Blender UV for example. I don't believe there is enough images, clarity or data as yet.

Step 1. Coordinate us creating the traffic/regions to get the full right image and a clear left image. We need to do this each day. I believe we need to work out the pairing/distances here. Sheer numbers alone aren't going to be enough, we need to pair images with visitors over more than one viewer to solve.

Step 2. Combine is then stitching or layering those left hand images together (x, y). This will create one large texture or if we have to use many images per day perhaps an animated texture?

Step 3. Clarify is then using the right hand images against the clear left hand images to create a 3D map (u, v). Again if multiple images per day this could be the "pairs" we are looking for and would perhaps creating enough animated mapping or extrusion for the object?

Once those are done we'll have a full texture and a full object (or two paired animations/keys) to map that texture/object. IMO this will not be solvable until all 7 days are completely clear. This is one potential answer but it seems too obvious and does not reference the radio interferometery aspects very well at all. Once we have the full set of images/maps I could run it through blender or 3ds max to get an output. The question is what object are we going to map to? Do the left hand images stitch/arrange to form a sphere texture or a square texture. If I think there are 7 days and only 1 left/right image per day then I don't really see square being a viable object for UV mapping. I could do a sphere just fine but realistically you're just going to see the same as the left hand images stitched together as one large texture.

I'm thinking overall this will be a layered texture and will be used not just for UV mapping the texture to say a sphere but also using another filtration process to create a displacement texture map as well (being the right hand image). It just doesn't fit that well in my mind yet.

Here's a quick blender UV tutorial for you to get your head around where I think this may be heading.

But I'm feeling this is too simple and does not take in enough of the hints Bungie are throwing at us.

Using my highly skillful Paint techniques.. I took my 10pm geomask and attempted to illustrate how the image is created. Forgive the shoddy .gif

picasion.com_c8214c3165jjn.gif

Order of images goes:
Original Geomask
Left side only
Left side flipped vertically and horizontally
Left side and Flipped vert and horiz separated
Recombined Geomask.

Yeah Reddit did all the heavy lifting. Still that's pretty crazy. I'm going to have to go through their thread to find out how they came to that first picture with the numbers.

Computron

The best voices -- voices that truly matter -- never
allow themselves be heard. This lesson is worth
learning again and again.

Forever.

Your voice moves as whispers, murmurs and urges
inside larger winds. Only the trusted few can absorb
what is necessary. Wise and sly and perfect, your
instructions drop, leaving nothing but the hard sweet
rime of enlightenment.

The path is set. Your voice is unleashed. Except now
it is gone...

And maybe it never was.

::

DESTINY

Amazing shop skills for that dude on the picture, fascinating to read.
Hopefully that means if they do a similar thing each day, with pictures supplied over time. If we all hit it with a pretty massive synchronised attack on the picture will be good enough to grab a URL.
Although methinks Bungie will make it harder.

RoKKeR

Damn, very impressive for them to figure all of that out and have it lead to something positive.

The official Destiny logo looks mighty good.

apana

The best voices -- voices that truly matter -- never
allow themselves be heard. This lesson is worth
learning again and again.

Forever.

Your voice moves as whispers, murmurs and urges
inside larger winds. Only the trusted few can absorb
what is necessary. Wise and sly and perfect, your
instructions drop, leaving nothing but the hard sweet
rime of enlightenment.

The path is set. Your voice is unleashed. Except now
it is gone...

And maybe it never was.

apana

Holy shit guyz, I think I am the chosen one.

/988?2748014???

I wonder if the cluster of dots above the numbers mean anything.

EDIT: Well, holy shit. This is a little insane.

Unless they're a leftover from the signal filtering it really looks like there's a little text above the number. I would have liked to get a few stronger images so we could make it out. Unfortunately it looks like everyone is turning off their node. It's a shame because the rest of the US rotated into the map and we could have gotten a clearer image.

Unless they're a leftover from the signal filtering it really looks like there's a little text above the number. I would have liked to get a few stronger images so we could make it out. Unfortunately it looks like everyone is turning off their node.

Per the same guy on Reddit who cleaned up the image to get the url, (username Techercizer) it appears to be something like Braille.

That makes it pretty damn hard to decipher without having a perfectly clear image though given that it's a bunch of noise dots on top of and around Braille dots.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, these are just wallpapers.
Exciting as hell though. Exciting. As. Hell.

Leaked docs said it would be a Microsoft exclusive for the first year. This might have changed by now, though.

Leaked docs don't say anything like that. It's a pretty vague contract.

Any exclusivity agreement w/ Microsoft would be much more defined. And nothing of the sort is in there.

Top Bottom