• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox SmartGlass app downloaded over 17 million times

Sean

Banned
This is way more than I expected considering how limited the support is so far (only six games).

g3433534ggd3534243.jpg

Microsoft launched the first version of the Xbox SmartGlass mobile app for Windows 8 in October and since then ports of the "second screen" app for the Xbox 360 have been released for Windows Phone, iOS, and Android platforms. This week, Microsoft revealed that the app has been downloaded over 17 million times, across all platforms.

The numbers came as part of a lecture during Microsoft's BUILD 2013 conference. As shown on the Channel 9 website, Microsoft seemed pleased with how app owners are using it. On average, Microsoft says a person spends about 16 minutes using the Xbox SmartGlass app for each specific application it controls on the Xbox 360.

The lecture, conducted by the Principal Program Manager of the SmartGlass division Rosa Thomas, also revealed some interesting features for how the app will work for the upcoming Xbox One console. One change is that each Xbox One console can handle up to 16 simultaneous SmartGlass app connections, versus just four connections for the Xbox 360.

Neowin

So not even 50% of xblg users have tried a free thing even once?

This is like when Sony announced that the F2P Uncharted 3 MP was downloaded 750,000 times. Can't even hit 1 million with free?

Warablo

This is like when Sony announced that the F2P Uncharted 3 MP was downloaded 750,000 times. Can't even hit 1 million with free?

To be fair you do need a tablet or smart phone and I have neither..

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I only have the app as I downloaded it back when it was just the Xbox app to see messages and who was online. I imagine that is where the bulk of the numbers come from too, people who just wante the Xbox app, not because of smart glass.

I kinda wish I could turn the "smartglass" stuff off, always tries to connect to the console when that isn't what I use it for.

Sucks that I can't use it because my phone (Droid 3) won't be updated past Android 2.3.4. Smartglass requires a minimum of 4.0.

R3TRODYCE

I have it but never use it. I'm sure when the Xbox One comes out I'll use it daily since there will be a lot of support for it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I downloaded it and I only use it when I'm on the toilet and want to see if there's something new in it. I think it'd be pretty neat to use in Forza Horizon but I always forget to turn it on when I play that.

M3d10n

How many of those people actually don't own a 360 and though it was about getting Xbox games on their phones?

border

It's kinda nice because it allows you a quick way to switch apps without having to exit to the Dashboard. Not true multitasking, but going back and forth between Netflix and Hulu is easier.

The major flaw is that everytime you "wake up" your phone from sleep mode that app takes 5-10 seconds to "reconnect" to the Xbox. And there's no way to stop your phone from entering sleep mode after inactivity. So it's difficult to use like a true remote control.....the lag you face everytime you wanna use it is super-irritating.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The GPS stuff with Forza Horizon is pretty cool but ultimately it's rather useless at the moment. Fable Anniversary seems to use it pretty extensively so I'll probably give it another try whenever I buy that.

watership

The point of this stat is to show devs that even if they didn't use the app at all, it can reach a wide audience. Saying the app sucks make no sense when its the content written for it that matters.

Kimaka

I have it and used it once. It's a potentially cool app but it doesn't have enough games that support it.

Sean

Banned
What games currently support this?

Barely anything, just a handful of MS first party titles (Forza Horizon, Halo 4, Dance Central 3 and some Kinect/XBLA stuff). In the future there's gonna be Madden and Fable Anniversary.

Every Xbox One game is required to support SmartGlass though.

Enhh...17 million for basically a neutered remote control app is a little better than 750,000 for supposedly the most hyped exclusive game of the year

hoos30

The Game of Thrones app for it is actually pretty nice. It basically shows a deck of cards that flip as the show goes along. The cards have news, notes, maps, etc. about what is happening on the screen.

For example, Walder Frey shows up on screen after a 14 month (in real life) absence. No sooner than you can say, "Who the fuck is that guy again?" the app shows the "Walder Frey" card with information about him and his relationship to say, Robb Stark.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Got it twice for my iPhone and ipad. Never gets used but the game of thrones info is nice.

and capped levels, and the fact many have the game anyways, and the fact it weights a lot...

Card Boy

Banned
I only ever use it to see whos online without having to spend 5 minutes waiting for dashboards ads and the 360 to boot up.

Not being able to purchase games through the app is a gigantic missed opportunity. That would make the app more useful, even on 360 where pretty much nothing supports it XD

Sorcerer

I noticed the smart glass app on windows 8 when I first installed it. How useful is this thing tied to a desktop computer?

I'm guessing not much

Ushae

Banned
Great app, wish it had more support for other games and functions. I use for Netflix and messaging a lot of the time.

Does Sony have something like this?

crayman

When faced with having to type in a serial code into the 360, I sometimes remember that this thing exists. But in my experience it always takes far too long to get going.

1) Grab and unlock phone
2) Find and start smartglass app
3) 5 seconds to load app
4) Oh no, sign into Xbox again...
5) 10 seconds to log in to xbox.com
6) 15 seconds to connect to my xbox
7) Swipe right a bunch of times to get to the interaction with xbox section

8) Kind of wished I hadn't bothered...

Yeah, it's pretty cool but I only ever used it once. It's not really necessary for someone who just turns on their Xbox and presses "play disc".

BibiMaghoo

Just want to point out that on Windows 8, this is now the only way to login and see your friends list without using the website. They have turned GFWL into a gateway that no longer allows looking at friends lists or messaging.

Love how I still cannot message within smart glass though. Got to get that gold. Fuckers.

luffeN

I downloaded it and I only use it when I'm on the toilet and want to see if there's something new in it. I think it'd be pretty neat to use in Forza Horizon but I always forget to turn it on when I play that.

Did you find something new?

They got it working on iOS in time for the Presidential Election. That app and the livestream of the results on Xbox Live made that a fun night.

Problem is I keep forgetting about it and just use my controller for Netflix.

Lots of people downloading something for free isn't news or a metric of success.

Neither is the adoption rate or the percentage of returning users. It's all meaningless.

Cause 100% of XBL have users had to have used it in order for it to be a success. Not to mention that 100% of those users would need to have a smartphone and/or tablet in order to utilize it.

/Rolleyes

Top Bottom