• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming monitor

Decado

What's the best gaming monitor (PC...but would be cool if it could also be used for consoles)?

What's the best *value* gaming monitor?

Also, is 3D any good now? Is it worth getting a monitor that supports 3D?

I've heard Dell UltraSharp is really good.

Thanks!

Ceebs

There have been tons of monitor threads recently.

You need to consider what sort of games and how you play them first. Are you a super competitive guy that plays fighting games, Multiplayer FPS games, RTS, or MOBAs? Pretty much anything that requires a high framerate and quick response times?

If that sounds like you then you will want a 120hz monitor no questions asked.

If you are a graphics whore and want your games to look as good as possible 1440p or 1600p may be where you need to be looking.

Both of those options will cost you though, so if you can't afford $350 or more you are probably looking at the countless TN or some IPS 1080p panels.

Also keep in mind that most monitors with the inputs you would need for consoles will probably introduce some input lag if they scalers on them.

1-D_FTW

Agreed. Most people probably won't respond because it's the same arguments over and over. There's plenty of threads where all possible viewpoints are expressed.

def sim

Depends on what you want. A low input lag monitor for fighting games and so on or a quality IPS monitor for a nice, accurate picture.

edit: first post has this handled

Parallacs

All monitors are good monitors nowdays.

However, there are obvious reasons why the Dell Ultrasharps are so widely recommended. They are fantastic. I don't think I've ever heard of someone that didn't like them (after they got one of course).

More on topic, "value" is probably just picking a price-point and getting a monitor at that level. Haven't done 3D for PC. It doesn't seem to be very popular.

Decado

Haven't really noticed other threads. I'll do some searches to see if there were other recent ones.

I don't really play online multiplayer. FPS, TPS, RTS, TBS, RPGs, side-scrollers, action/adventure. No more than 60 FPS.

diamount

Banned
Never had one personally but catleaps can be OC'ed to 100-120hz. It's not guranteed though but it's kinda the best of both worlds. Although you'd probably need a monster machine to run 120hz at that resolution.

SmokeMaxX

ASUS Vh236H is THE standard for gaming. Cheap, low lag, nice picture. It's used at almost every single fighting game tournament in the nation as well as a ton of MLG tournaments as well.

def sim

Haven't really noticed other threads. I'll do some searches to see if there were other recent ones.

I don't really play online multiplayer. FPS, TPS, RTS, TBS, RPGs, side-scrollers, action/adventure. No more than 60 FPS.

Might as well go for the affordable Ultrasharps then. The Asus monitor suggested here are cheap and have low input lag, but the games you play tell me you'd rather have a nicer picture.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Avoid TN (Twisted Nematic) panels.

The majority of monitors on the market use them, and while they give faster pixel response times, they do suffer for their 160 degree viewing angles. It's especially noticeable with screens 22" or larger, by which point you should be looking for IPS or VA panels (and their many variants).

Decado

The majority of monitors on the market use them, and while they give faster pixel response times, they make for some poor viewing angles. Especially with screens 22" or larger.

Are the dell ultrasharp or Asus VE248H TN panels?

Sethos

Banned

The majority of monitors on the market use them, and while they give faster pixel response times, they make for some poor 160 degree viewing angles. This is especially noticeable with screens 22" or larger.

Viewing angles isn't their only flaw.

I have an LG DM2350D. 23 inch, is also a TV, so you can connect all your consoles to it. Passive 3D (though they supplied the wrong glasses with it) and inexpensive.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Agreed. If you swing from the wall and are unable to co-ordinate the complex task of centering a screen that sits two feet from your face, avoid like the plague. They're evil. Evil I say.

You'll still get color shifting staring directly in the middle. Especially so on bigger 20"+.

yes, but note it's 16:10. Not much of a problem for PC games, but with consoles you'll get black bars on top/bottom.

TGMIII

ASUS Vh236H is THE standard for gaming. Cheap, low lag, nice picture. It's used at almost every single fighting game tournament in the nation as well as a ton of MLG tournaments as well.

It's not THE standard for gaming or even competitive gaming as a whole but it's fairly prominent for competitive console games.

I'm not sure why people are saying to avoid TN either. Yes viewing angles are bad, not sure why you'd be looking at your monitor from anywhere but head on while playing games, and the colours are no where as good as IPS but you're gaining a great input response time for the sacrifice and most 120hz monitors are TN. Looking forward to the days where IPS monitors are affordable, 120hz and widespread though.

HiiiLife said:
Benq XL2420T.

I'll give another vote for this. Pretty much the best 120hz TN monitor I've used.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Very good for strictly PC use. Problems crop up when using consoles with it though, because there's no "Maintain Aspect Ratio" option in the OSD to prevent a 16:9 source (like a PS3) from stretching to the 16:10 it uses.

Some other displays offer the ability to add black bars at the top and bottom, but this one simply stretches to fit the screen, making people look a bit taller than they should.

The next model down (Dell U2312HM) has a 16:9 aspect ratio, which sidesteps the problem. It makes it a slightly better fit if you want to plug in a console too - plus it uses IPS. Less connectivity options overall though.

Very good for strictly PC use. Problems crop up when using consoles with it though, because there's no "Maintain Aspect Ratio" option in the OSD to prevent a 16:9 source (like a PS3) from stretching to the 16:10 it uses.

Some other displays offer the ability to add black bars at the top and bottom, but this one simply stretches to fit the screen, making people look a bit taller than they should.

The next model down (Dell U2312HM) has a 16:9 aspect ratio, which sidesteps the problem. It also uses IPS, which makes it a slightly better fit if you want to plug in a console too. Less connectivity options though.
Is that true? My 2407 has 1:1, Aspect and Fill options. If this is the most recent version of that monitor, surely it still has that functionality? Actually looking at the connectivity maybe it's a cheaper model...

Sethos

Banned
Is that true? My 2407 has 1:1, Aspect and Fill options. If this is the most recent version of that monitor, surely it still has that functionality? Actually looking at the connectivity maybe it's a cheaper model...

Was about to ask that, my old ass 2407 has that functionality, did they really remove such a basic feature from a new monitor?

I definitely recommend the Dell U2312HM. I bought one a couple of months ago to replace my old Dell 22 inch.

Good points:

- Almost zero input lag. Measured out at around about 1ms, or 8-9ms including pixel response time. You will struggle to find a more responsive 60hz monitor.
- IPS. So great colour reproduction and viewing angles.
- Straightforward on-screen menu, easy to put backlight control on a shortcut so you can drop it to zero at night and up to 100 on sunny days.

Could go either way:

- 6-bit colour. High-end displays have 8-bit colour. 6-bit displays have to perform a little trickery to get the same colour depth as an 8-bit monitor, and certainly compared to a high-end IPS the colours probably are less accurate. Next to my old 8-bit Dell IPS, though, the 2312 looks better.

Bad points:
- No HDMI, just DVI, VGA and displayport. If I want to put the PS3 into it along with the 360 and my PC I'll need to get an adaptor.
- 60hz only, so it won't be as fast as a 120hz display.
- At night, with all the lights off, the black level isn't as good as my other half's Benq MVA display.

In short, I love it, and I'd make the same purchase again.

Was about to ask that, my old ass 2407 has that functionality, did they really remove such a basic feature from a new monitor?

edit: Aspect ratio options on the 2312 are 16:9, 4:3 and 5:4. My old 2209 indeed had no aspect ratio scaling and would vertically stretch 720p.

Sethos

Banned
Not speaking from personal experience on the U2412M; I heard about the lack of scaling options here first: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m-part15.html

"The popular video formats (576p, 720p, 1080p, 1080i) are detected in progressive playback and are shown distorted."

Damn, you are right. Just looked through the documentation

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/U2412M/en/ug/operate.htm

DisplaySetting(VGA).gif

"Aspect Ratio
Adjust the image ratio to Wide 16:10, 5:4 or 4:3."

No 16:9 and that's where the option is usually located.

Odd decision.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I read that too. My u2312hm only has options for 4:3, 5:4, and 16:9, no pixel by pixel. Not much of a deal for me, but it is kind of odd it's missing from the u24.

Azar

If you want a 24" 16:10 monitor that's basically as good as the Dell U2412M, but does scaling for game consoles, get the ASUS PA248Q. It's $330 and better than the Dell in a lot of ways, except some people have reported backlight bleeding. If you play in a dark room a lot, that's maybe a deal breaker. Otherwise, it's a great buy.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Will a good gaming monitor for PC also be good for consoles or is this a stupid question? I ask because of the resolutions my PC can handle higher than 1080p res but will the console games look like crap? Also is there a monitor where I can have a ps3 and 360 hooked up at the same time as my pc?

Sethos

Banned
Will a good gaming monitor for PC also be good for consoles or is this a stupid question? I ask because of the resolutions my PC can handle higher than 1080p res but will the console games look like crap? Also is there a monitor where I can have a ps3 and 360 hooked up at the same time as my pc?

Good, that depends. PC monitors don't have all the scalers and image processors of a TV, so the image usually comes out pretty raw i.e looking like complete shit due to the low resolution and graphical settings of consoles. You probably have to sit pretty far away to make up for it.

If you get a monitor with VGA, HDMI and DVI you can put the 360 in through VGA, PS3 through HDMI and PC through DVI. My other half's screen is set up like that. I'd recommend it (it's very good) but they don't make it any more. You can get kind of an idea how console games will look on it by setting a PC game to 720p: it'll look a bit blurry and lack detail.

HiiiLife

So any cons of the Benq Xl2420t? All I hear are good things about it.

I also want to play my consoles on the monitor as well because I play at a desk rather than on a couch.

raven777

when I went to Japan this summer, Eizo had this monitor where it automatically adjust dark spots and and make it more visible. It looked pretty cool. Of course, the price is not cool.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Isn't this like 4 years old now? Monitors come out like crazy each year, how can there not be a successor to it? Is it as good as a TN panel will get?

1-D_FTW

And OP, if you have a good Nvidia card and don't have difficulty seeing 3D, 1080P 3D at high framerates is awesome. It's next-gen level awesomeness to me. Most games tend to work really well. And even some that don't, can get modded to be fixed. The Helix mod website does wonders. Currently playing Darksiders II in 3D and the world just comes to CG life. If I don't get any of the next-gen consoles, it'll be because I can't go back to 2D after this.

Grayman

So any cons of the Benq Xl2420t? All I hear are good things about it.

I also want to play my consoles on the monitor as well because I play at a desk rather than on a couch.

colours can be washed out but you may be able to fix that with calibration.

Jaxter09

I would recommend a 27" Korean monitor (Catleap, Shimian etc.) S-IPS and a ridiculous 2560x1440 resolution. Colourful games like Just Cause 2 and Rayman Origins look stunning.

SmokeMaxX

Isn't this like 4 years old now? Monitors come out like crazy each year, how can there not be a successor to it? Is it as good as a TN panel will get?

It's pretty old, but most companies don't care at all about input lag. The VH236H has been thoroughly tested and widely accepted for at least fighting game tournaments as well as a lot of MLG tournies. Most Asus monitors have great (very low) input lag, but the actual amount varies. Most of the VH series tends to do well though. The VH238H is supposed to be the successor to the VH236H. It has the same input lag and is LED backlit, but there's not a lot of differences except that it's usually more expensive (and I guess has better black levels). Asus also released a new monitor labeled "The Evo Monitor" (except it's not the Evo monitor...), but I don't think anyone's tested input lag on it yet.

Top Bottom