• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games journalist (also a gaf member?) suspected in murder suicide

Costanza

Banned
http://www.edge-online.com/news/games-journalist-suspected-murder-suicide

A former journalist for IGN, Ziff-Davis and Ultra Game Players has shot himself and his wife in an apparent murder-suicide.

Jason Montes, 33, of Sacramento was found dead by police at the home of his estranged wife in Concord, California on Sunday, January 11. His wife Serena Montes, 25, was fatally wounded at the location. According to police, Montes had called a friend to say he had shot his wife and planned to kill himself. The gun belonged to his father.

Montes, a science fiction and video game devotee, joined Ultra Game Players then published by Imagine Media, in the mid-1990s. According to a resume posted on Facebook, he went on to work for IGN, The Official PlayStation Magazine at Ziff and Prima among others. More recently, he worked in marketing for Hudsonsoft, before pursuing a career in web design and animation.

Serena Montes, a pastry chef, met Montes online and were wed in 2007. However, the two parted last year. Jason Montes had recently filed for bankruptcy protection.
ManaByte said on another forum that he used to be roommates with the guy and he posted here as "deamentia" :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
OMG this is terrible. =\

[edit] His last post was back in July 2008 in the thread where ManaByte said he was going to jump in front of a semi. He was confirming ManaByte was still alive and relaying what Mana said over AIM to him.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12043196#post12043196

(neutral) deamentia
Hudson Hawk
(07-18-2008, 07:10 PM)
Reply | Quote

deamentia said:
Here's what he said:

no reliable net connection here until I get a job. leaching off an unsecured connection that drops me all the time. should be stablized in a couple weeks. I have my CA guard card as well as my CDL so I'll be working in city/county stuff until debt is paid and I can get back on the road where an unsable paycheck is OK.

AppleBlade

These things tend to get more common when the economy goes south. It sucks that he killed his wife. It's one thing to commit suicide but to take someone else's life is inexcusable.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
shoplifter said:

..c'mon now.

i worked with Jason while I interned at Hudson, and the guy always had a great attitude about him, and an amazing sense of humor. Was very shocked to hear about this a few days back, but it's simply a shame that he felt compelled to not only take his life, but another's as well.

WTFing

Banned
This story looks like the other 'gaming journalist' that took his life and his wife's life last year because she was cheating? why?

Teknoman

levious said:
I didn't know he had left hudson

Me either...and then this to follow up. I had just recognized that he was the same dementia that posted here and the Hudson forums...was going to send him a pm to thank him for the Fatal Fury cap.

Flek

Banned
MrVargas said:
. It sucks that he killed his wife. It's one thing to commit suicide but to take someone else's life is inexcusable.

i agree and iam sory for his wife and her family etc.

Mamesj

Banned
what a psychopath. I don't understand why they take others with them.

screw this "so sad" bullshit. fuck this guy.

Mamesj said:
what a psychopath. I don't understand why they take others with them.

screw this "so sad" bullshit. fuck this guy.
Maybe the reason for his shooting himself was guilt over killing his wife.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I also remember him doing the Hudson PR stuff around here till Kim Master Lee took over, this is a very sad news story indeed.

Philia

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I really wonder what caused him to kill his wife.

The article said they were estranged. I imagine she's pulling him for money. :\ Why else would he file a bankruptcy protection?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Teknoman said:
Was also his gamertag on XBL:

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=deamentia

Wonder what happened in between December and now that caused this to happen. I mean to do something like this within a month's time doesnt make sense. I guess he could've been contemplating it while playing, but usually when someone is having thoughts as troubled as these, they probably wouldnt do something they enjoy for awhile.
Financial troubles maybe? The article mentioned filing for bankruptcy.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
mochuuu said:
..c'mon now.

i worked with Jason while I interned at Hudson, and the guy always had a great attitude about him, and an amazing sense of humor. Was very shocked to hear about this a few days back, but it's simply a shame that he felt compelled to not only take his life, but another's as well.

This mirrors my thoughts. I didn't know him well but I had a few meetings with him when he was demoing games for Hudson at trade shows - he was always a pleasant guy to work with, quick with a joke. All-around nice guy.

Philia said:
The article said they were estranged. I imagine she's pulling him for money. :\ Why else would he file a bankruptcy protection?

He must have had his wires crossed or something because somewhere in-between getting into his car and driving to his estranged wife's house he'd have to think "well maybe I shouldn't kill my wife".

I feel terrible for all parties involved but damn..it's just messed up no matter how I look at it.

YakiSOBA

That's awful, he has no right to take another life. Just because his life was down the shit hole doesn't mean he should have killed his ex-wife's too... total bull!

Hope the murderer burns in hell, hope victims family sues the shit for emotional damages.

Condolences go out to the victim's family ONLY.

Top Bottom