• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions about a particular computer scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3k

Hi, so last week i recieved a phone call from an indian sounding guy about my computer. So already im thinking how did you get my number. Then he says hes from a company attached to microsoft and that they had noticed/ been notified that my computer had malware or whatever viruses on it and was downloading stuff illegally.

So i ask them how they got my home phone number, they told me they couldnt tell me that so i told them to go fuck themselves and hung up the phone.

http://www.teche4pc.com/about-us.html

Then today as i was reading through the many wikileaks threads on gaf i was rung up today. Same company i presume and they give me the same lines so i decide to go with it. All the time thinking how did they get my phone number and name.

They told me they got the number through something called the 'internet routing system' which of course explains nothing really to me.

So after telling them i dont believe them blah blah blah they tell me my microsoft windows cert number and they tell me to go into start->run->cmd-> assoc->enter

then down the bottom i am surprised that this is the number they just quoted to me.

now i was just wondering can someone clarify what the cmd assoc command actually tells me? how this company possibly got this information? like my name, phone number and this 'microsoft cert number'?

I dont believe any of it still but i dont like the information they got... i told them several times never ever ever ring me again and they just persisted telling me dont blame them if my computer crashes :lol and that if it happens i will have to throw it in the dustbin :lol

even after that i told them not to call me ever again and they said they were calling back next week and that if i have a phone they are allowed to call me if they want :lol fuckin asshats i want to do something about them if they ring up again

SmokyDave

'ASSOC' is just a DOS command to list all of the File Associations on your PC iirc.

Sounds like they're full of shit.

Edit: Yeah, it is, it's just file associations. Did they quote the CLSID for the 'Send To' command or something?

Was this the ID? CLSID\{888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}. If it was then it's a common scam according to google. The number is the same on every windows system from what I can gather.

m3k

MiloFoxburr said:
Was this the ID? CLSID\{888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}. If it was then it's a common scam according to google. The number is the same on every windows system from what I can gather.

SmokyDave said:
'ASSOC' is just a DOS command to list all of the File Associations on your PC iirc.

Sounds like they're full of shit.

Edit: Yeah, it is, it's just file associations. Did they quote the CLSID for the 'Send To' command or something?

ahhh good thanks guys... i knew they were full of shit by their responses, but i didnt think the cslid would be something the same on all computers

they were so persistent i was surprised i trolled them for like 15 to 20 minutes and they still kept on going, i argued everything and their answers made me laugh a bit

at one point one of the guys told me i was being very tricky with english :lol

MiloFoxburr said:
Yup confirmed, just did the command and was the exact same number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom