• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Caffeine pills: good for studying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoltrix

I've been procrastinating more than ever this semester. When I finally get myself to sit down and work, I fall asleep from boredom. I've been trying to get my hands on adderall, but I don't see that happening any time soon. So I figure I'll give caffeine pills a shot. I never drink coffee so I've never had high amounts of caffeine before.

What's some important info I should know about them? If you have experience with them, please let me know how they work for you.

Thanks!

DMeisterJ

Banned
I've only saw this on Saved By the Bell, but you'll turn into a blond chick, in a singing group, and have them in your backpack, and get found by some spanish-looking stud, then start crying.

Wait, that episode of saved by the bell was over caffeine pills? I thought it was speed or some other performance enhancer.

pakkit

Banned
I took my first caffeine pills this week. They work, kind of, but they gave me awful gas and made me feel like I was 2 seconds away from sharting.

Needless to say, I'm going to stick to caffeinated drinks, loud music, and power napping.

rs7k

I used to take them. Looking back at it, they just make you feel like shit and do nothing for studying. Caffeine pills are good in keeping you awake, but they're not pleasant.

Zoltrix

Energy drinks give me the jitters. I vowed never to drink one again after I took one before a test and the disaster that followed.

Sleeker

Apparently a good study technique is to go to bed right afterward and it helps the information sink in better.
But you cant really do that with caffeine pills

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Caffeine pills will keep you awake. They will NOT help you focus.

If you've never had coffee, you might not want to take caffeine pills. Two cups of strong Earl Grey tea always did it for me before I developed my caffeine habit. If you take too much, you'll be too crazy wired to focus.

Pterion

People and their caffeine is something I'll never understand. Maybe I'm superman because I never drink yet work crazy hours.

edgefusion

In my experience with them I remain tired and unable to focus but I also can't get to sleep when I try. Basically they work but in completely the wrong way.

TheExodu5

Banned
I user energy drinks around exam time. They work wonders. Make sure you bring one to the exam...they're great for keeping you alert. Just don't overdo it, and don't make it a habit.

Ela Hadrun said:
Caffeine pills will keep you awake. They will NOT help you focus.

If you've never had coffee, you might not want to take caffeine pills. Two cups of strong Earl Grey tea always did it for me before I developed my caffeine habit. If you take too much, you'll be too crazy wired to focus.

I find pure caffeine from coffee doesn't help me too much. It makes me really jittery, and yeah focusing isn't all that much easier. Something about energy drinks helps to balance the caffeine out I think, since they help me focus quite a bit.

edgefusion

TheExodu5 said:
I user energy drinks around exam time. They work wonders. Make sure you bring one to the exam...they're great for keeping you alert. Just don't overdo it, and don't make it a habit.

I agree, occasionally I'll drink an energy drink (closing deadline, hard day at work) and I do find they give me an extra burst of energy and help me to concentrate better. But like TheExodu5 said, don't overdo it. Just take a look at the ingredients to see why...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
joshuagor44 said:
I've been procrastinating more than ever this semester. When I finally get myself to sit down and work, I fall asleep from boredom. I've been trying to get my hands on adderall, but I don't see that happening any time soon. So I figure I'll give caffeine pills a shot. I never drink coffee so I've never had high amounts of caffeine before.

What's some important info I should know about them? If you have experience with them, please let me know how they work for you.

Thanks!

Caffeine has about a 6 hour half life. It works by blocking adenosine, which is used in part to regulate fatigue/sleep. So if you do take it, take it at least 6 hours before bed.

Caffeine dependence builds very quickly because the body will adapt by making more adenosine receptors within a couple of days.

It's not very good at increasing focus, only masking sleep deficits.

Without laws, you'd really be much better off with Ritalin if you HAD to take something. 3 hour half life, so you'd be able to sleep easier. It's reuptakes dopamine and norephendrine, neuro-transmitters used to regulate attention and concentration.

I recommend neither. If you have a genuine problem with concentrating, go see a doctor and try some ADD medications (ritalin/concerta, adderall, dex/vyvanse). In terms of health, ritalin/concerta is virtually harmless if taken correctly. But the others are based on amphetamines which have extremely long half-lives (10 hours), and jack up adrenalin/heart rate.

Energy drinks are total bullshit. If you want to take pseudo-science stuff over the counter, try buying some B vitamins, Green tea extract, ginseng, and ginkgo. The last two could interfere with meds. Go to a doctor.

cubanb

Banned
Jesse-Spano-I-m-So-Excited-I-m_9E441BB9.jpg

JesseSpano.jpg

tokkun

If you are well-rested, caffeine will not improve your studying performance. It has been shown to improve short-term memory, so it may be good for some last minute studying and hour before an exam.

Owen said:

....there are no words

I've had Foosh mints before. They're supposedly 100mg of caffeine per mint. They taste pretty strong (really minty...if you can imagine that...). They did their job. The best thing you can do would be to try studying at an earlier point in the day...or at a point where you feel naturally more alert. Try getting more sleep. Caffeine might also help you.

No, a good night's sleep and breaks between studying/reading sessions is the only reasonable way to absorb the information before examens.

If you're falling asleep even if it's out of boredom, you need a break from it.

Make sure you get a good night's sleep before your tests as well. There's a strong correlation showing that students who had a normal eight-hour night before a test, that did not study but were familiar with the material (ie did their initial readings and attended lecture) scored significantly higher than those who crammed and stayed up.

My advice: pace yourself and be sure to give yourself a break every three hours.

JayDubya

Banned
If it's the only way you can stay up to browse some unfamiliar material that you know will be on the test? Maybe.

Still, try to get some sleep. Even if it's just a little bit, you'll need it. And hopefully you don't have anything after the test so you can come home and crash hard.

JayDubya said:
If it's the only way you can stay up to browse some unfamiliar material that you know will be on the test? Maybe.

Still, try to get some sleep. Even if it's just a little bit, you'll need it. And hopefully you don't have anything after the test so you can come home and crash hard.

Holy shit. This is a first: JayDubya and I agreeing on something in OT.

There is a day for everything, it seems.

JayDubya

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Holy shit. This is a first: JayDubya and I agreeing on something in OT.

There is a day for everything, it seems.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this as a matter of practicality, unless they hadn't experienced it and were talking out of their ass. :lol

I've never really dug the caffeine pills, but I have chugalugged some high caffeine soda to stay up for an exam before.

It's not wise. Point in fact, it's pretty dumb. But if it's that or fail because you didn't study, do that. Total ignorance with well-rested test taking skills is probably not going to do you as well as kind of sleepy but at least you've seen all the material at least once.

JayDubya said:
I don't think anyone would disagree with this as a matter of practicality, unless they hadn't experienced it and were talking out of their ass. :lol

You'd honestly be surprised at the amount of people who claim to work "better" under pressure, including staying up all night to study/finish an assignment etc. (they don't).

JayDubya

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
You'd honestly be surprised at the amount of people who claim to work "better" under pressure, including staying up all night to study/finish an assignment etc. (they don't).

I won't claim to work better like that. That's just dumb. :lol

I will say that I frequently did (and sometimes still do) that, despite knowing that it's dumb, because I've either been too busy with other things or I've been a videogame-addicted procrastinator. Just one more level before I do that thing I was supposed to do for tomorrow... yeah, just one more...

Another tip? Fucking eat something. All that caffeine is going to do a number on your GI tract. Get some bread or cookies or something.

I'd recommend bringing food and drink with you to the exam if you can. You don't want an upset stomach or to come down and get really tired in the middle.

And get a short nap at least; this is so important. It will pay dividends. You will still crash hard after the test, but you will have more focus and speed of thought during the test, and that's what matters.

way more

Caffeine has a huge spike and comedown. It is a strong drug which I think we forget because it's sold everywhere.

I would stick with the redbull's and 5-hour energy shots. My manager gave me one of those shots mixed in a glass of Redbull before the dinner rush on Valentines. I assumed it was alcohol and was a bit disturbed when I was told the true nature of the drink. Yet I didn't suffer a come down so take that as a promotion.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
They're a jittery alertness. You will be awake, but I don't know how well you can concentrate on them. They will also make your stomach feel like shit. I've had to pull allnighters a bunch of times during college and I used caffeine pills, red bull, tripple espressos, a few other things... If you are gonna take em, make sure you have something to calm your stomach, but I would suggest avoiding the hassle altogether. I got some bad headaches afterward as well.

What I found worked super well, was I just went to the grocery store and bought fresh ginseng root, cut it up and just munched on that all night. I was very alert and had a really clear mind. I had no problems concentrating either. Afterward it just wears off gradually and you have no problems sleeping, no headaches, and just avoid the whole feeling like shit part.

I would suggest that over all else.

Arthrus

Do not sacrifice sleep if you're taking an energy drink or pills of any sort. Be sure to take the stuff at least 10hrs before you go to bed.

I fell asleep in my calculus class after breakfast and I absolutely had to be awake and alert to learn very important things in the rest of my day. I have only done this once, but I bought a NOS from the cafeteria and drank it over the course of an hour. After that, I could focus perfectly for the rest of the day, learned tons, and didn't eat another meal (my stomach felt kind of funny from the drink). About 6hrs after drinking the stuff, I went to the gym and ran 3 miles in 17 minutes, which is about 30 seconds faster than my 2nd best time. I then went home, showered, and studying until 11pm, at which point I lay in my bed with my eyes open for at least 2hrs.

In the morning I was fine and felt great! I've never come close to running that fast, and in fact it took me two weeks to get back to my usual pace, but NOS did the job. Never again... :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Tenacious-V said:
They're a jittery alertness. You will be awake, but I don't know how well you can concentrate on them. They will also make your stomach feel like shit. I've had to pull allnighters a bunch of times during college and I used caffeine pills, red bull, tripple espressos, a few other things... If you are gonna take em, make sure you have something to calm your stomach, but I would suggest avoiding the hassle altogether. I got some bad headaches afterward as well.

As long as you eat along with an energy drink, you're good to go. An empty stomach is what causes the discomfort and jitters.

I usually just buy a Monster and sip on it all day... Its amazing how much better I can concentrate, even If I've only have 4 or hours of sleep...... I also usually bring 1 to my exams as well.... its amazing how it reduces fatigue, and increases concentraion so much

Dragona Akehi said:

I don't work any better but god damn am I more efficient. Sometimes that's enough to make the mark, if you're good enough...

Armitage

Dragona Akehi said:

But if there's no pressure I won't work at all. Something > nothing!

TheExodu5

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

I most certainly do. I'm a procrastinator by nature...I have a lot of trouble bringing myself to work/study. Even right now, I should have been studying all day for a midterm at 11:30 am tomorrow, but I've probably only studies 30 mins. Soon, the pressure will get to me and I will power through shit fast. It's managed to get me quite a few A's so far. :lol

Mindlog

Armitage said:
But if there's no pressure I won't work at all. Something > nothing!

:lol

I was going to refute that statement, but your comment is forcing me to be honest with myself. That's probably true.

I'm surprised there isn't an OTC (generic, knock-ff, placebo) form of Adderall yet. That stuff is everywhere and I've known many people that swear by it. I'm not advocating un-prescribed drug use. Just commenting on what I've noticed.

JimmyV

Banned
I dont really think caffeine will help you study, maybe a little bit to help you stay awake and not get sleepy.....focus on applying yourself instead of staying awake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom