• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Red

How does Kilton tell you the number of Hinox you have killed? :?
He started doing it for me after I beat Ganon. He only counts unique locations, so if you kill the same hinox/Talus/molduga multiple times it will only register as a single kill.

Jackano

How does Kilton tell you the number of Hinox you have killed? :?

He started doing it for me after I beat Ganon. He only counts unique locations, so if you kill the same hinox/Talus/molduga multiple times it will only register as a single kill.

Yep this definitely starts only if you beat Ganon.
Didn't knew that on my 1st play-throught.
So there's some kind of post-game content after all.

TheMoon

It's the same way that it shows you the completion % (and I think also the stats on how many quests you did?) after you defeated Ganon.

DonShula

Huh. Here I am holding off on Ganon because I wanted it to be the last thing I did. This is news to me. My wife has been complaining that I haven't just stormed the castle yet. Guess I might have to do it...

Orgen

I already beat Ganon but he only tells me when I have killed all the Hinox/Talus/Molduga IIRC. He doesn't say "You have killed 32/40 Hinos till now" for example, only smells me and gives me a medal when I beat all of them (that's what happened with the Molduga anyway).

I'll try to talk to him again to see if there's a dialogue option that I missed.

Jackano

I already beat Ganon but he only tells me when I have killed all the Hinox/Talus/Molduga IIRC. He doesn't say "You have killed 32/40 Hinos till now" for example, only smells me and gives me a medal when I beat all of them (that's what happened with the Molduga anyway).

I'll try to talk to him again to see if there's a dialogue option that I missed.

I think you talked to him about the moldugas, and you already had beaten all 4 of them so you got the medal. Now if you talk to him again, you'll have the Hinox/Rocks/Molduga option and he'll tell you where you're at for each.

Strike my earlier posts, I'm experiencing a weird bug/difficulty on the Hinox count.
I just re-killed an Hinox, I'm sure I had already killed him once (used a map marker), but he still didn't had the *. So, I re-killed him, just a minute before a blood moon.
So I checked on him (for the 3rd time) after the blood moon and... still no "*".

I re-killed him. Managed to get my Hinox count from 16 to 19 today. I don't understand why this works so badly compared to my 1st game in normal mode.
Is anyone experiencing the same thing?
Even the Hinox in the dark forest (whatever is the name in english) wasn't marked with the *. But you've to kill him to get the shrine, and I got the 120 of them.

Is it because I use the mask of Majora? It's something I'll try to investigate.

All the beasts done, one more memory left... and then IDK. Just run around and try to do more shrines until I decide to head to the castle.

Q: I once attempted to fight a lynel and it was really bad. What's the recommended heart container count for those fights?

Ventara

All the beasts done, one more memory left... and then IDK. Just run around and try to do more shrines until I decide to head to the castle.

Q: I once attempted to fight a lynel and it was really bad. What's the recommended heart container count for those fights?

Yeah, as others have said, hearts aren't really that important except for maybe taking one hit from a failed dodge. Just have a few fairies on hand to be safe. Chug an attack potion beforehand to make the fight go faster. The safe way to kill a Lynel is basically dodge and flurry attack. It has a few move sets and once you know them, avoiding them becomes easy. Unless you're playing in Master Mode, then good luck, I got nothing for you.

Chinbo37

We all did. Felt great killing him later on though.

I killed him my first time through. I did zora DB first too. I used a shit ton of food but it felt so good killing him. Timing the backflip on thier triple attack is the easiest way to get a lot of hits in.

So Link slips down because he is all wet. But when you are in a pond or river, you can climb out of it and start climbing mountain without slipping. How does this make sense? Shouldn't you slip instantly as Link is wet? I find it a little out of place.

Also beat all 4 Divine beasts, got all memories, got master sword, got most of the DLC weapons and most of the in game armor. Heading towards Hyrule castle now. Kinda sad that game will finish soon.

So Link slips down because he is all wet. But when you are in a pond or river, you can climb out of it and start climbing mountain without slipping. How does this make sense? Shouldn't you slip instantly as Link is wet? I find it a little out of place.

Link doesn't slip because he is wet, he slips because the surface is wet.

If my hands were wet I imagine I could easily climb a dry rock/cliff in real life. In fact I've done it many times when hiking. There is enough dust/grit/roughness to dry rock that the limited amount of moisture on your skin (after coming out of a body of water) gets absorbed by the surface and your hands dry quickly. But when it's raining there's a constant flow of water keeping the surface wet and slippery.

Red

Yeah, as others have said, hearts aren't really that important except for maybe taking one hit from a failed dodge. Just have a few fairies on hand to be safe. Chug an attack potion beforehand to make the fight go faster. The safe way to kill a Lynel is basically dodge and flurry attack. It has a few move sets and once you know them, avoiding them becomes easy. Unless you're playing in Master Mode, then good luck, I got nothing for you.
The easiest method is headshot + mount. Don't bother damaging your weapons.

Rayis

I got to the part where
Link has to crossdress to enter Gerudo Town and I want him to keep those clothes for the rest of the adventure!

atr0cious

It's all about the gradient.

Me climbing the zora waterfall.

You can climb anywhere, even in rain, if you find the covered spots and less vertical slopes.

We all did. Felt great killing him later on though.
I would say if at all, try not to run from a fight. It may take hours, but the experience and feeling of accomplishment more than make up for it, and the weapons earned will wipe away the worries about durability.

Does entering the castle put you into any kind of end-game state of no return? I want to go in to explore a bit and get that memory, but still want to do shrines and stuff and fight Ganon later.

Anteo

Does entering the castle put you into any kind of end-game state of no return? I want to go in to explore a bit and get that memory, but still want to do shrines and stuff and fight Ganon later.

No, but be careful, the game wont stop you and telll you that you are about to enter a point of no return, if you put one feet on that final boss room it will trigger the fight right away.
I ended up beating the game super early because of that lol

TheMoon

Link doesn't slip because he is wet, he slips because the surface is wet.

If my hands were wet I imagine I could easily climb a dry rock/cliff in real life. In fact I've done it many times when hiking. There is enough dust/grit/roughness to dry rock that the limited amount of moisture on your skin (after coming out of a body of water) gets absorbed by the surface and your hands dry quickly. But when it's raining there's a constant flow of water keeping the surface wet and slippery.

It's always funny when you can tell someone's not done the actual video game thing in real life/nature before :D

As you say, you can be wet as a towel and perfectly climb whatever surface you'd be able to climb normally. It's all about the surface and how much traction it gives you.

I got to the part where
Link has to crossdress to enter Gerudo Town and I want him to keep those clothes for the rest of the adventure!

He does/you can.

You're actively encouraged to explore the castle early through side quests and the presence of high level gear.

Jackano

I recommend two commandos to the castle before a 3rd to go to Ganon.

Jackano

Strike my earlier posts, I'm experiencing a weird bug/difficulty on the Hinox count.
I just re-killed an Hinox, I'm sure I had already killed him once (used a map marker), but he still didn't had the *. So, I re-killed him, just a minute before a blood moon.
So I checked on him (for the 3rd time) after the blood moon and... still no "*".

Sorry for DP(?).
It's a known bug because of the rank of the Hinox (all of them are black at some point) : https://gamingreinvented.com/news/g...mpossible-to-get-in-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/

PSA: Kilton’s Monster Medals of Honour are Unobtainable in Master Mode.

Hybris

So I went into this skeptical at first. I was one of those guys at release seeing the rave reviews and scoffing. I thought things like:
  • "Weapon Durability will ruin the game for me."
  • "What's the point of exploring if all you get is equipment that will break, or korok seed #452, or Shrine #88."
  • "This world is too big, all this empty space is just a waste of time."
After playing for the first weekend, I'm hooked. This game is amazing. The feeling of reward when following an NPC's hints, exploring aimlessly and finding hidden quests and shrines, meeting my first lynel (he doesn't attack you on sight? this guy means business), and just enjoying this atmosphere. The game feels totally fresh yet very familiar at the same time.

I've just completed my first divine beast in Zora's domain
(riding on Sidon's back shooting shock arrows was awesome)
and I'm working on doing side quests in town. I'm just patiently sitting here at work just thinking about going home and playing more.

Roufianos

Picked up a Switch a few weeks ago and finished this today. What an absolute master piece. I've been feeling open world fatigue recently but the shrines, beautiful locations and fun traversal made this a joy to explore.

Definitely one of my GOATs.

With the Trial of the Sword's unforgiving nature in regards to death, it has really set a bad spotlight on the game's camera angles. I suppose in the main game since dying isn't a big setback it has been overlooked and or forgiven, but going through the Trial of the Sword, the camera angle has already been a major responsible factor in some my deaths and its frustrating as hell.

llehuty

Ahhhh, finally, 140 hours in and I found the last shrine o/

I had given up finding it, since I was missing one shrine quest and I thought it was going to be tied to it, so impossible to find with the detector, but it wasn't the case?

Thanks to the DLC, I was filling the gaps from heroe's path and suddenly the detector started beeping (I had thought of turning it off, but luckily I didn't do it). It didn't take me much to find it
orange light from a crack on the floor
. It was such a nice feeling, I had done my previous shrine long time ago, so it was a refreshing change of pace.

I got the cue to go to the forgotten temple, which I could have teleported to and simplify everything, but since I was close to it on foot (it was the shrine in the canyon leading to it), get there on foot. Music of of one of the dragons passing by cues in halway in, I get a horse from one Goblim and went there. I killed again all the guardians and took my price. So satisfying!! But RIP the materials I need to upgrade the outfit.

I love how easy is to get these little microstories still 140 hours into the game. Next objective is beating the game with all the memories and see the true ending!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
With the Trial of the Sword's unforgiving nature in regards to death, it has really set a bad spotlight on the game's camera angles. I suppose in the main game since dying isn't a big setback it has been overlooked and or forgiven, but going through the Trial of the Sword, the camera angle has already been a major responsible factor in some my deaths and its frustrating as hell.

I mean, you have a stick to control the camera. You can put it where ever you want it to be. Can't say I ever had an issue with it in that Trial.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So do the goblin dudes not take a lot of fall damage in general? Because I'm on Master Mode and there's a white goblin on top of a super tall tower. I smacked him off into a ravine and he took half his health. But like, that fall was far as shit.

Having a hard time linking on mobile, so here's a pic.

https://imgur.com/a/HC879

Red

So do the goblin dudes not take a lot of fall damage in general? Because I'm on Master Mode and there's a white goblin on top of a super tall tower. I smacked him off into a ravine and he took half his health. But like, that fall was far as shit.

Having a hard time linking on mobile, so here's a pic.

https://imgur.com/a/HC879
Maybe he hit a more gradual slope on the way down? I've killed many by knocking them down.

I'm pretty late game and I still feel like regular enemies are super spongy on average. I can't be arsed to used my strengths potions for them so I just skip 90% of the fights and end up basically not fighting at all, unless it's mandatory fights or monsters I need the ingredients of. Anybody else with similar experiences?

Jay RaR

So are there any conditions to make the dragons spawn?

I'm in Master Mode, so far I have most of the shrines done and I've already beaten Ganon. However I didn't free any of the Divine Beasts or even talked to Impa yet. The only dragon I need to get is the lightning dragon and it will not spawn at all. I've prayed to the statue 3 times and it still won't show up.

mrkgoo

I'm pretty late game and I still feel like regular enemies are super spongy on average. I can't be arsed to used my strengths potions for them so I just skip 90% of the fights and end up basically not fighting at all, unless it's mandatory fights or monsters I need the ingredients of. Anybody else with similar experiences?

I enjoyed battling enemies, and took every opportunity to do so and accrued hundreds and hundreds of monster parts. can sell them for good money. I never really used boosting foods for combat, didn't seem that spongey to me. I think part of the key to that is not to be holding back your best weapons. Just get in there. I mean when you think about it, the bosses don't need super weapons to defeat, hinge,s taluses, and Lynels can be defeated by health and moderate technique....what are you saving the weapons for exactly? just get in there with your +20 guardian ++ there's more where that came from.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Maybe he hit a more gradual slope on the way down? I've killed many by knocking them down.

It didn't appear so. I gave up trying to kill him. Master Mode is fun, but enemies have crazy vitality and weapons seem to break before you can do any real damage. I'm hopeful that better stuff will show up eventually. With the mask, I'm not sure how I'd make it to Zora's Domain at this point. So many enemies and not enough durability.

N° 2048

Played 8 fucking hours yesterday, brings total to 70 hours.
One Divine Beast down.

This game is one of the greatest games I've ever played, up there in the upper echelon of GOAT games with Super Mario 64, first Zelda, Persona 4G, etc.

I don't want it to end.

EDIT: THAT ZORA'S DOMAIN MUSIC <3 <3

Red

So are there any conditions to make the dragons spawn?

I'm in Master Mode, so far I have most of the shrines done and I've already beaten Ganon. However I didn't free any of the Divine Beasts or even talked to Impa yet. The only dragon I need to get is the lightning dragon and it will not spawn at all. I've prayed to the statue 3 times and it still won't show up.
They don't show until some point after you meet Impa. Might be the first or second meeting. I'm on 170 hours and haven't seen them yet either.

maxcriden

They don't show until some point after you meet Impa. Might be the first or second meeting. I'm on 170 hours and haven't seen them yet either.

You still haven't gone in that one direction you mentioned previously not embarking on, right? You don't want that certain sidequest-y item? Doing things related to it was a large part of what we enjoyed in our 110ish hours so far....

Jay RaR

Well that stinks. I wanted my Master Mode save to be the reality where Link is amnesiac from beginning to end.

Oh wells, guess that means Eventide Island is my last Shrine lol.

Jackano

You sure? Maybe it's Impa + the 2 scientists. That seems to unlock almost everything that is "locked" to me.

Pretty sure he can just go to one of the dragons
freeing Nedrac

Earendil

OK, so I finally finished the game last night. It took me 97 hours and 32 minutes, and I still have quite a bit of stuff left to do. I finished with 85 shrines complete, but less than 50 korok seeds (I really didn't make that much of a priority). I also need to do Eventide, so I'll probably work on that next. I decided I was going to take my time with the game, and savor it slowly. It worked out pretty well except for last night. I went into the back of Hyrule Castle through the dock so I could get the shrine there and have a quick way in without having to deal with the guardians in Hyrule Field. Once I finished the shrine, I was planning on going somewhere else and looking for more shrines. But then I was like "I wonder where that hallway goes?" The next thing I knew, I was outside the Sanctum. So I decided to go ahead and try to finish it, thinking I would get my butt whooped. Turns out I handled it just fine.

I really enjoyed the final battles, although I had the hardest time getting my horse to go where I wanted to. I eventually said screw it and ran around under "Pumba" shooting arrows at him. It made it harder than it should have been, but it was a nice challenge.

On a side note, my 10 year old just finished the game this afternoon. When he started playing, I wasn't sure how well he'd do, but the kid takes after his old man.

Red

You sure? Maybe it's Impa + the 2 scientists. That seems to unlock almost everything that is "locked" to me.

Pretty sure he can just go to one of the dragons
freeing Nedrac
Naydra disappears after purifying it, unless all the dragons have been spawned. Naydra scales won't fulfill the requirement for the shrine quest he needs, anyway (
serpent's jaws, right?
).

You still haven't gone in that one direction you mentioned previously not embarking on, right? You don't want that certain sidequest-y item? Doing things related to it was a large part of what we enjoyed in our 110ish hours so far....
At this point I've completed all the divine beasts and have met Impa for the first time. She has a unique message if you meet her after you complete the beasts, something along the lines of "I guess I had nothing to worry about after all." I have been to the Hateno lab, but haven't returned to Kakariko. I haven't checked to see if the dragons have spawned yet.

I did finally get the camera, which has relieved some frustration... so many characters appear to offer quests that will not trigger without the camera rune. I've looked up solutions for very few problems in this game, and nearly every single one has revealed I was pushing against an invisible wall that would not go down unless I had the camera rune. It's one of my significant frustrations. I wish there was some indication that a key item was required to trigger these quests. So much time wasted. I've followed characters for multiple day night cycles hoping to catch them at a certain place or time to trigger the quest... but the solution has always been more simple, and more obscured.
Well that stinks. I wanted my Master Mode save to be the reality where Link is amnesiac from beginning to end.

Oh wells, guess that means Eventide Island is my last Shrine lol.
I think I made it to 113 or 114 shrines without finishing any beasts or meeting Impa. There are a few that require you pass certain markers.

-serpent's jaws requires a Farosh scale.
-on the southern shore a woman holds onto an orb, and the camera is required to make her release it.
-near Lurelin village, a man is trying to decipher a message near two shrine pedestals. The camera is required to help him
-a shrine in Kakariko needs an orb from Impa's house, which can't be acquired until several other quests are completed. One of these requires the camera.
-the warbler's shrine needs the young Rito to fly over, which doesn't happen until Medoh is defeated.
-the sand seal race can't be completed until Naboris is defeated.
-the veiled falls shrine requires a ceremonial trident that is not rewarded until Ruta is defeated.

Those are the only shrines I can remember which require story markers to be passed.

Jay RaR

Naydra disappears after purifying it, unless all the dragons have been spawned. Naydra scales won't fulfill the requirement for the shrine quest he needs, anyway (
serpent's jaws, right?
).

At this point I've completed all the divine beasts and have met Impa for the first time. She has a unique message if you meet her after you complete the beasts, something along the lines of "I guess I had nothing to worry about after all." I have been to the Hateno lab, but haven't returned to Kakariko. I haven't checked to see if the dragons have spawned yet.

I think I made it to 113 or 114 shrines without finishing any beasts or meeting Impa. There are a few that require you pass certain markers.

-serpent's jaws requires a Farosh scale.
-on the southern shore a woman holds onto an orb, and the camera is required to make her release it.
-near Lurelin village, a man is trying to decipher a message near two shrine pedestals. The camera is required to help him
-a shrine in Kakariko needs an orb from Impa's house, which can't be acquired until several other quests are completed. One of these requires the camera.
-the warbler's shrine needs the young Rito to fly over, which doesn't happen until Medoh is defeated.
-the sand seal race can't be completed until Naboris is defeated.
-the veiled falls shrine requires a ceremonial trident that is not rewarded until Ruta is defeated.

Those are the only shrines I can remember which require story markers to be passed.

Yeah, I have around 113-4 shrines completed right now all without starting any Divine Beast quest and visiting Impa.

And yes, Farosh is the last scale I need. Naydra appeared all corrupt at the summit and I got the scale from it. I found Din's scale in a chest outside Hyrule Castle.

Every quest you mentioned except the last one is "blocked off" for me. You can get the trident at any time without talking to anybody and you don't need the swim up the waterfall to activate the shrine. You just need to hit the platform with the ceremonial trident and it'll work.

Red

Yeah, I have around 113-4 shrines completed right now all without starting any Divine Beast quest and visiting Impa.

And yes, Farosh is the last scale I need. Naydra appeared all corrupt at the summit and I got the scale from it. I found Din's scale in a chest outside Hyrule Castle.

Every quest you mentioned except the last one is "blocked off" for me. You can get the trident at any time without talking to anybody and you don't need the swim up the waterfall to activate the shrine. You just need to hit the platform with the ceremonial trident and it'll work.
How do you get the trident without finishing Ruta?

Jay RaR

How do you get the trident without finishing Ruta?

...it was there all along lol. Under the water just below the west side bridge of Zora's Domain. I was also surprised when I found it and doubly surprised when I activated the shrine. All without talking to Sidon or getting the Zora tunic.

Top Bottom