• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LucasArts: "Amazing news coming Monday [...] awesome news for our old school fans"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_IGN

Back by Popular Demand, LOOM, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Star Wars Battlefront II Headline List of Games Soon to be Available via Direct Download!
LucasArts Continues Initiative to Revive Classic Gaming Titles

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – July 6, 2009 – Fans have asked and LucasArts has delivered! Today the company announced a new initiative in its effort to revive its classic and beloved franchises by making its games available for the first time ever as digital downloads online.

In this first round of releases, ten fan-favorite LucasArts PC games will be made available Wednesday, July 8 on Steam®, Valve Corporation's delivery and management platform for the PC. Scheduled for release are classic adventure titles like LOOM and The Dig and hit action games including Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Republic Commando.

The complete list of games to be released on July 8 via Steam includes:

• Armed and Dangerous™
• Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
• Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
• LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
• LOOM™
• Star Wars Battlefront® II
• Star Wars Republic Commando®
• Star Wars Starfighter™
• The Dig®
• Thrillville®: Off the Rails™

“This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to LucasArts’ classic games,” said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts. “It also gives more people a chance to play our games by making them available long after they’ve disappeared from store shelves. We hope our fans are as excited as we are about our plans and we can’t wait to share what’s coming next. This is just the beginning.”

This series of launches continues LucasArts’ new mission to revitalize its deep portfolio of beloved gaming franchises.

LucasArts previously announced the return of the classic Monkey Island franchise with two new projects due to be released in the near future. Tomorrow, July 7, Telltale will premiere the Tales of Monkey Island® game series on PC, delivering a completely new epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes. The first Tales of Monkey Island chapter is expected to release for WiiWare™ in the coming weeks as well.

The Monkey Island celebration continues on July 15 when LucasArts publishes The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, a completely re-imagined version of the first game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will be made available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC via Steam and other online distribution channels.

Darklord

Banned
crowphoenix said:
I'm starting to question my own sanity.

All waiting and no announcement makes crowphoenix a dull boy

nny

Fuck. Yeah.

x5qtk8jpg.gif

I like the "first round of releases" part..more to come :D

Google

Meh.

It's good news for those who haven't played these, obviously.

But for me, I'm a little disappointed.

But hey, at least we can all play these legally from now on.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
What if real life functioned like twitter?

"Hi, honey. In 6-7 hours I'm going to make a decision about whether or not I'm going divorce you. Until then, please speculate about what the decision will be with your friends."

"Hi John. This is Dr. Smith. In 6-7 hours an announcement will be made about your biopsy results."
6-7 hours later: "Hi John. I'm announcing that we've sent your tumor to the lab. Please stay by the phone and wait for another announcement about this exciting development."

Amazing news coming Monday! Super excited! You have no idea how tough it is not to start yelling about it! But it's secret! Until Monday!

I hope I don't disappoint. I know this is something I was asking for since before I worked at LucasArts.

Fucking twitter :(

I guess I have no one to blame but myself for hoping for more than this utterly meh annoucement.

This is the sort of shit that in the old days you would just normally go to Shacknews and read a roundup of the day on what happened and go "oh".

Tim-E

FoneBone said:
In this thread: people with limited reading comprehension, or a high capacity for denial, whine and whine!

When they said that it didn't focus on a single IP, I thought it was OBVIOUS that it meant a TIE-Fighter remake! Duh! What assholes.

Xater

How is this good news for old school fans like me? I already own all the stuff I care about and I doubt they will release Tie-Fighter.

Sqorgar

Banned
Two questions:

1) Is Fate of Atlantis the talkie version?

2) Will the adventures work with ScummVM? (the recent Humongous rereleases at Target don't).

Kilroy

RSTEIN said:
What if real life functioned like twitter?

"Hi, honey. In 6-7 hours I'm going to make a decision about whether or not I'm going divorce you. Until then, please speculate about what the decision will be with your friends."

"Hi John. This is Dr. Smith. In 6-7 hours an announcement will be made about your biopsy results."
6-7 hours later: "Hi John. I'm announcing that we've sent your tumor to the lab. Please stay by the phone and wait for another announcement about this exciting development."
Yeah, Twitter (along with it's creator) should really burn in a sulphur pit somewhere...

Antares

Neo Member
And hey - who wants to buy Monkey Island Special Edition on Steam and XBLA next week? the 15th? Sure, lets do that for you as well.

And this is just the beginning. We know how much you guys love our old games. This little announcement is just a start.

The team here (alongside Steam) have worked on the old games to make them work in XP/Vista. Very low system requirements ;)

All from lucasarts twitter ofc.

nice..

Yeah, feels good to be right :D

Not particularily interested in any of the first batch but I'll be there as soon as the Monkey Islands and other Scumm games get added :D

bounchfx

MrCompletely said:
There's a disturbing lack of DOTT, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, original Sam & Max

this.. these are all I wanted :(

at least we got the indiana jones ones and look, I guess. and the dig.

sigh.

Google

Sqorgar said:
Two questions:

1) Is Fate of Atlantis the talkie version?

2) Will the adventures work with ScummVM? (the recent Humongous rereleases at Target don't).

1) A very good assumption would be yes. Why would they choose to re-release the original version without the talkie?

bounchfx said:
this.. these are all I wanted :(

at least we got the indiana jones ones and look, I guess. and the dig.

sigh.

They do say this is the first round, so I'm sure these are coming. Can't see any reason they aren't already included though, and does anyone really care about Thrillville, starfighter, and armed and dangerous?

Good possibility for a package deal though, when these are released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom