• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Origins - Hype Check

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Well, for one, there's a completely overhauled combat system that actually makes weapon choice mean something, and drops the Arkham-lite style from the last 5+ games for one influenced by Witcher and Souls, focused on light/heavy attacks, hitboxes, parries, dodges, reach and speed, and so on.
I know that has been shown, But once again that didn't really move the needle for me since it looks fairly pedestrian. I'm interested to see what reviews say, however.

But I will say this. All the things ACO is doing is new to AC, but most of it is not new in games in general.

Which is why a lot of comments are saying "Oh, this looks the same", because they might have experienced these things in other games, but not in AC
You can say the same about countless games though. Game-changing innovation is rare. Adapting concepts and mechanics and structures to expand upon an existing design and innovate within a series is not.

So the notion of "it's this with elements of that" being some horrible fault for AC Origins comes across as kind of hollow considering some of the best and most popular games are that formula. Like did we forget Zelda taking the essential elements of Zelda games and molding them into a familiar open world structure, completely like crafting, outfits, and so on? Or Wolfenstein blending its furious shooter roots with the narrative-focused influences of Riddick and Half Life and action-stealth elements seen in other games. Among others.

jryeje29

Super hyped, day one for me. I’ve been replaying old assassins creeds over and including the few I missed out on so my hype is pretty high. Please be good and refreshing.

Menitta

I'm gonna get it if it's received well, which I very much hope it is because it looks amazing. It coming out the same day as Odyssey doesnt help me but I'll definitely get it on Black Friday at the latest.

J3ffro

I was kinda iffy based on timing, it's just days after Destiny 2 releases on the PC. I'm not a big Wolfenstein guy, and I don't have a Switch, so those things don't factor in.

But I've signed up for my fourth Extra Life marathon, and I think I'm going to play through AC:O on it, and I'm actually getting pretty psyched for it.

I think the year off of AC has been good for my enthusiasm, the changes made to the game look intriguing, and I think Egypt as a setting will be badass. Just waiting to hear if the PC port is the way to go, or if I'll be playing PS4.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You can say the same about countless games though. Game-changing innovation is rare. Adapting concepts and mechanics and structures to expand upon an existing design and innovate within a series is not.

So the notion of "it's this with elements of that" being some horrible fault for AC Origins comes across as kind of hollow considering some of the best and most popular games are that formula. Like did we forget Zelda taking the essential elements of Zelda games and molding them into a familiar open world structure, completely like crafting, outfits, and so on? Or Wolfenstein blending its furious shooter roots with the narrative-focused influences of Riddick and Half Life and action-stealth elements seen in other games. Among others.
Or GAF darling, Horizon Zero Dawn, wear many of the influences of other games on it's sleeve. Devs are near constantly putting their own spin on existing concepts. It's the nature of this industry and art in general.

lordkosc

I am finishing up AC Syndicate which I am really enjoying. Pre-ordered Origins last week, first AC game I pre-ordered since AC3.

Egpyt+Roman stuff = MUST BUY.

sjay1994

I'm not saying this as a negative on the game.

Just putting myself into the mindset of people claiming "oh, it's more of the same".

I just feel like people want some giant huge bold thing (which I am guilty of doing), and view taking elements from other things as a negative.

GAF doesn't have a very large AC fanbase. Just wanna explore this world.
YearlySimpleAnole.gif

And just the QoL features made to the gameplay make it incredibly exciting for me let alone the overhauls.

That objective indicator is...eww...

CHC

Actually I'm surprisingly excited for this.

Black Flag (and Syndicate, to a lesser degree) showed me that modern AC can be good.

I love the setting, I love the visuals, I love the extreme attention to detail, I love the deeper RPG approach to design. At the very least, they're striving for the right things.

I'm not saying this as a negative on the game.

Just putting myself into the mindset of people claiming "oh, it's more of the same".

I just feel like people want some giant huge bold thing (which I am guilty of doing), and view taking elements from other things as a negative.
Yeah, I understand that. I was just saying why seeing that as a negative can sometimes seem reductive. There’s a big difference between AC Origins drawing inspiration to expand and change its focus and Medal of Honor chasing CoD’s success by basically copying the style entirely

daftstar

The only game I'm looking forward to for the remainder of this year. I feel like I've been watching too much footage and need to keep my expectations in check.

If the story is on the same level of Black Flag, it'll be something special. Still one of the best endings in a game IMO.

sjay1994

Yeah, I understand that. I was just saying why seeing that as a negative can sometimes seem reductive. There’s a big difference between AC Origins drawing inspiration to expand and change its focus and Medal of Honor chasing CoD’s success by basically copying the style entirely

Yes I can agree with that.

I think its good that AC is trying to reinvent itself, and drawing from The Witcher 3 I just have some issues with the implementation of things

MrBS

Huge AC fan, preordered and waiting for preload on PC, was a big motivator for my 2017 PC build. Get hype.

Not sure what I'm going to do Oct 27 with Wolfenstein II and Mario Odyssey. Fark, maybe and hour of each on the day? Arghhhh!

RPGCrazied

Do you think standard PS4 will be 900p again? Last 2 AC's were. I'm really hoping they can get it to 1080p at least for standard users.

Do you think standard PS4 will be 900p again? Last 2 AC's were. I'm really hoping they can get it to 1080p at least for standard users.

I would much rather have 900p with a (mostly) solid 30fps, than 1080p with a lot of drops.

As I've said in my earlier posts in this thread, having no footage of standard PS4 version is pretty much the only reason that I haven't pre-ordered ACO yet.

RPGCrazied

I would much rather have 900p with a (mostly) solid 30fps, than 1080p with a lot of drops.

As I've said in my earlier posts in this thread, having no footage of standard PS4 version is pretty much the only reason that I haven't pre-ordered ACO yet.

That's why I'm worried. Syndicate was 900p and still had fps issues when in crowds and riding the carriage.

Plus we have seen 0 footage of the PS4 version.

El-Suave

I‘ve been a fan since AC1 and liked or loved every entry in the franchise. The hype for this iteration is the same as my AC hype has always been every year so far. The break or the changes haven‘t enhanced it.

Not too excited. Ubisoft open world games get old pretty fast for me. The icon-mania on the maps is always offputting. But I'm curious now about some of the comments here about big changes to the combat, or in genes. Can anyone elaborate? I haven't followed promotional material.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If this was some isolated region like Far Cry 2, I’d agree

But this is in ancient Egypt and you’re fighting forces of the Roman army or Egyptian pharaohs or whatnot. Why wouldn’t new forces move into bases/outposts? They have the manpower of entire empires. Of course they have reinforcements

Because based on the map, it looks like it's region/area based so if I "clear" an entire region/area, I would like to think that I liberated it and it's "safe".

Reinforcements should only happen when the alarms are triggered. Also, since all the loot would be gone anyway, what's even the point of having enemies defend an outpost that no longer has anything worth guarding?

I would have no problem with the enemies regrouping, attacking and trying to gain back control of the outpost and I would have to counter that and win that battle but in general, it's annoying.

This hurt GRW for me to where I quit both expansions because it wasn't any fun anymore having to keep kill the same enemies over and over. After a while, there's no point.

Plus, the level cap is 40. If enemies keep respawning, I could just stay in the beginning areas and just keep fighting until im at an overpowered level. Not having respawning enemies eliminates this option/concern completely.

pablito

Its on the radar, and no AC game has been on my radar. Massive hype boost for the series in general for me.

I won't be getting it at launch though.

CazTGG

Really looking forward to it...assuming the lootbox rumor isn't true. Otherwise, i'll add it to the "buy it used/on Switch" list.

-Horizon-

Would like to play it. Will wait till a later date though. Too many games at the moment and its not high on the priority list.

silva1991

I stopped caring about the series, because of the trash that was AC3 and I can't say i'm exited about this one.

However, one of the last trailers left me intrigued little.

Really looking forward to it...assuming the lootbox rumor isn't true. Otherwise, i'll add it to the "buy it used/on Switch" list.

On switch?

Recreat3

I would be really excited for it but i dont think ill have time to play it over odyssey. Might havr to grab it once i finish mario.

vakarian32

I find the Egypt setting far more interesting than anything they've ever done tbh, so I'll definitely be buying ACO. Just need to decide on getting it for PS4 Pro or PC, leaning towards PS4 though with my current setup.

It’s the only game releasing for the rest of the year that I’ve bothered to pre-order and will be the main game I’ll play on the X when it launches. That said, I’m going to have to sit on it for a couple of weeks until Nov. 7th rolls around.

I’m extremely hyped for it though. It looks very promising.

Plum

I'm definitely tempted to get it. The Egyptian setting really intrigues me as I love virtual tourism/history exploration in games. Syndicate was a fun time for when I wanted some mindless fun, but I'm worried that the RPG system might 'overcomplicate' that. Not being able to assassinate a guy just because he's got a higher numbers than me might prove an annoyance, but we'll have to see.

I'll have a bit to decide though, no way am I getting this on the 27th. If I did it would just sit waiting until I'm done with Mario and Wolfenstein.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Nah, I'm not really feeling it right now.

For some reason the main character's design isn't doing it for me. He looks kinda bulky with all that shit on him at all times. The story doesn't look very interesting to me (besides wanting to see Pharohs and Cleopatra).

Honestly the Educational Exploration mode seems more appealing to me than the action RPG thing, it's going for.

So I'll likely pick it up in 2018 depending on how good the Non combat mode turns out.
I'd love to explore a fully realized Egypt, but after Zelda/Horizon I'm tuckered out of big openworld games with RPG mechanics.

Memnoch

Super hyped, day one for me. I’ve been replaying old assassins creeds over and including the few I missed out on so my hype is pretty high. Please be good and refreshing.
I feel the same way. I preordered the gold edition and I'm stoked.

Razzorn34

Definitely have to wait for impressions on this one... I certainly didn't need an open world AC with shoehorned RPG mechanics, and I definitely didn't need another loot pinata game. The only thing keeping me interested at this point is the combat changes. I need more impressions either way to make a final decision.

Top Bottom