• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer voice sings NES tunes in acapella

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
So, here in Japan, this program Hatsuon Miku has been making it super fucking big with people using it to cover all sorts of songs. Most of them are pretty cool, but this one in particular I thought was awesome. Instead of using it to replace a singer of some regular song, they used it to sing old NES tunes. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIaE-vlYn2Y

And the music, for those who can't read Japanese, try and guess what they are:
Kung fu
Ninja MaruMaru kun
Super Mario 2 (USA)
Dragon Quest 3
Chrono Trigger
Romancing Saga 3 "ellen's theme" "Katrina's theme"
Actraiser

Crushed

Fry Daddy
So we've gone from computer voices for things, and acapella videogame tunes, to computer acapella videogame tunes.

LaneDS

Was pretty cool. Reminded me of Katamari Damacy a number of times.

Mitsuda still sounds amazing even when a computerized girl "sings" his work.

vareon

That was awesome. Check out the other videos, too, she sang songs like Fly Me to The Moon an other anime songs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That was fucking awesome. I want to do a game where all the music is entirely acapella.

(why did they opt to subtitle all the game names in hiragana? needlessly difficult to read if you're used to seeing the titles in katakana)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Oh man, the Chrono Trigger part was great!

I want to hear the original Metroid theme done by this thing!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Chrono Trigger is easily the best of the bunch.

Lee N

Membre
PetriP-TNT said:
wtf at the SMB2USA tune, I think that will haunt me in my sleep for the rest of my life
Actually it was the Doki Doki Panic version of the song.. they added a new section to the song in Super Mario Bros 2 USA which wasn't present here - instead it looped at the same spot just like in Doki Doki Panic.

Nitpicking, I know.. sorry.

aoi tsuki

Things like this are why i love the Japanese. i'd kill to hear the full Chrono Trigger theme.

But why are the track titles in hiragana?

Mmh... I don't like it very much. The voice sounds too "sharp" for NES music.
And it would help if it weren't so out of tune sometimes (it's probably programmed that way but that doesn't make it sound better).

Skynet.jpg

sp0rsk said:
Here's another vid and it shows what the program looks like.

The song has nothing to do with games though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csI4F6GxPUI

It's pretty incredible how "real" it sounds.

Previously mentioned "Fly me to the moon" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bze1ZczI-0

I made a mistake, they read it Hatsune, not Hatsuon.

I just realized that Fly Me to the Moon was in English!! :lol But, someone really has to work on something like this that can produce intelligible english sounds...

Hesemonni

Banned
I could complain about some of those titles not being on NES, but alas I can't, because the video rocks so much. Especially Chrono Trigger.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dock UK said:
We'll see the first android member of Morning Musume!!
If you google for the terms "robot morning musume" without quotes, for some reason the first hit involves Bob "The Beast" Sapp...

sapp24oc.png

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dock UK said:
Wait, why did you google that?
What were you hoping to find? Is one of them already a robot? o_o
Considering the ridiculous amount of skits and such that group's been involved in over the years, I was hoping to find an appropriate gif. :(

Top Bottom