• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have a low budget?

entremet

This is the same company that needed Sony money to release a sequel to its flagship fighting game series. Of course it's low budget for the type of property it is. Capcom is shit these days.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
MVC an MVC2 were just using the sprites and many levels from previous games..people know this right?

Its not a matter of back in the good old days as if they were not penny pinching back then

Arc Systems Works is much more of a smaller company than Capcom yet their new Dragon Ball Z game looks much better than Marvel Vs Capcom and likely cheaper to produced.

ASW only works on several games so their budget can go into them. Capcom is still a far bigger company and they have their hands in far more than ASW.

Its like comparing Pierrot to Ufotable and saying Pierrot sucks because Ufotable has looking anime. Pierrot could do the same thing if they wanted

ElFly

Nothing new for the series.

ryu-ts-stance.gif

I think this sprite doesn't have the proper aspect ratio for the pixels; SF3 assumed a display of non square pixels so it should look more like this (I am not 100% sure I got the ratio right)

OM8XQIo.gif

people always post SF3 in the wrong ratio cause it is easier (I am pointing it out and am not sure I got it right) and also the pixels will look wonky if resized correctly

tl;dr Ryu wasn't _that_ "buff" (or at least "wide") in SF3, but sprite rips will make you think otherwise

This is the same company that needed Sony money to release a sequel to its flagship fighting game series. Of course it's low budget for the type of property it is. Capcom is shit these days.

You know, everyone was giving Capcom so much shit for saying "SFV wouldn't have happened with Sony's help", and blamed Sony for most of the issues surrounding the game. Now though, here you have MvC: Infinite, the production values are even worse, and it's a multi-plat title. At this point, i'm willing to believe it because the only fighting game that looks worse than it does is KoF XIV, but that game launched with wayyyyyyy more characters than this game will.

Capcom has been fucking up (their fighting games at least since RE7 was good) since SFxT and it seems like nothing has changed. It sure seems like they have jack shit for a budget now days but they also seem incredibly incompetent as well. I will say Marvel looks fun to play and as everyone keeps saying "the gameplay is great" is nice to hear but we've been down this road with SFV where the gameplay was solid but everything else was shit. Right now, Marvel 3 is straight up more pleasing to look at than Infinite and compared to Dragonball Fighter Z, which looks straight up Marvel 3 with some Guilty Gear thrown in.....well lets just say in terms of production value, its a round 1 knockout 10 seconds in to the match.

I think this sprite doesn't have the proper aspect ratio for the pixels; SF3 assumed a display of non square pixels so it should look more like this (I am not 100% sure I got the ratio right)

OM8XQIo.gif

people always post SF3 in the wrong ratio cause it is easier (I am pointing it out and am not sure I got it right) and also the pixels will look wonky if resized correctly

tl;dr Ryu wasn't _that_ "buff" (or at least "wide") in SF3, but sprite rips will make you think otherwise

Your sprite is the one that looks stretched out
Arcsf33-shinakuma.png

FinKL

Fix the graphics, animation and all the complaints when the game probably needs to go gold in eight weeks.

Unless the E3 build was from January, it is indeed 'sick'

Lol, it's that easy right? Take complaints to message boards/social media and like a flip of the switch, the graphics are going to be "fixed". I thought making games was hard, I don't know who to believe anymore! The game comes out soon, this isn't them showing the game a few years before launch, it's them showing us AND demoing to us the game 3 months away...

Still excited, this will keep my occupied until DBZ

ElFly

Arcsf33-shinakuma.png

nope

you are posting a suspiciously long screenshot of SF3. it's 384x224, which is a p low res 16:9 aspect ratio, yet SF3 is from the 4:3 CRT era

e: I think the resolution is right, but the CPS3 monitor squished the pixels to a 4:3 aspect

Here's the famous EVO moment #37 as a low res gif. do notice the 4:3 display

WhSNh2A.gif

here's the first frame expanded x3

ngGPT40.png

thin ken (which is mostly the same sprite as ryu so whatevs)

you have been playing in emulators for far too long so you think SF3 is full of weirdly fat people

e: I think this should be more representative but I am not completely sure either because it is obvs filtered. which is why I preferred the evo 37 gif

Chev

Arcsf33-shinakuma.png

You're the one mistaken. Your screenshot doesn't have the right pixel ratio because modern monitors have square pixels. On the other hand CPS3 and CPS2 had pixels that had an approximately 5/6 ratio, for a total 4/3 screen ratio. So whenever you're posting a pixel perfect capcom arcade game screenshot it's got characters that are squished compared to what they were meant to be. If you know CSS you can add a transform: scaleY(1.2); and that'll show you something much closer to what it should be.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Low budget game from a low budget company.

Dont act so surprised folks.

ElFly

You're the one mistaken. your screenshot doesn't have the right pixel ratio because modern monitors have square pixels. On the other hand CPS3 and CPS2 had pixels that had an approximately 6/5 ratio, for a total 4/3 screen ratio. So whenever you're posting a pixel perfect capcom arcade game screenshot it's got characters that are squished compared to what they were meant to be.

aah this was the ratio that I was looking for

I knew it wasn't 4/3 but couldn't find the source

Well, almost, it was 5/6 instead of 6/5 (ie they are taller than squares), corrected now.

:/ I used to know exactly how this worked but mostly forgot the little details. kthx anyway

Seyavesh

honestly, i actually get the feeling this game had a way higher budget than marvel 3 and is probably actually decently budgeted w/ the caveat that it is a rushjob in the same way that sf5 was.
story mode definitely eats up a fuckton of resources and a short dev time would explain the overall bizarre look and supposed massive difference between shown builds (demo vs. e3/ceo)

like other folks have said, arcsys works on a smaller budget w/ a smaller team but has that time to actually make their games shine.
then again supposedly(?) sfxt was in development forever, still looked like garbage and cost so much that it basically killed capcom FGs until sony jumped in so maybe they're just unbelievably incompetent
though that's just hearsay

Jakoo

Man, I just finished the story demo and....woof. I know writing dialogue in video games is generally mediocre, but I couldn't believe how terrible the story mode was presented in this demo.

It felt like it was written by some fan fiction author who thought the charm of just having these characters in the same scene would carry everything in lieu of having them actually say anything important or remotely interesting:

The most memorably terrabad, stiffly delivered moment:

Iron Man: "Nice weapon Lance-a-little. Compensating for something?"
Arthur "Only your foolishness, Iron Man!"

And then Thor talks how much he likes Arthur for his super sick burn, even though not for a single moment was there an ounce of charm or charisma in any of the preceding conversation.

I cannot believe after Street Fighter V, it looks as though Capcom will again botch a fighting game franchise launch this hard, and I can't believe Disney and Marvel is letting this trash get out the door after their big speech about how quality their licensed games were going to be moving forward. I am shocked by how awful I found this compared to MvC3.

ElFly

Man, I just finished the story demo and....woof. I know writing dialogue in video games is generally mediocre, but I couldn't believe how terrible the story mode was presented in this demo.

It felt like it was written by some fan fiction author who thought the charm of just having these characters in the same scene would carry everything in lieu of having them actually say anything important or remotely interesting:

The most memorably terrabad, stiffly delivered moment:

And then Thor talks how much he likes Arthur for his super sick burn, even though not for a single moment was there an ounce of charm or charisma in any of the preceding conversation.

I cannot believe after Street Fighter V, it looks as though Capcom will again botch a fighting game franchise launch this hard, and I can't believe Disney and Marvel is letting this trash get out the door after their big speech about how quality their licensed games were going to be moving forward. I am shocked by how awful I found this compared to MvC3.

I wonder if Capcom is only showing the Marvel characters to Disney, cause the Marvel side seems to have received a little more of love in the models

at least Ms Marvel looks way better than Chun

You're the one mistaken. Your screenshot doesn't have the right pixel ratio because modern monitors have square pixels. On the other hand CPS3 and CPS2 had pixels that had an approximately 5/6 ratio, for a total 4/3 screen ratio. So whenever you're posting a pixel perfect capcom arcade game screenshot it's got characters that are squished compared to what they were meant to be. If you know CSS you can add a transform: scaleY(1.2); and that'll show you something much closer to what it should be.

Guess I stand corrected. I don't know how I never noticed. Is this also the case for the Dreamcast version?

It is definitely a lower budget and probably shorter time of development then MVC3. Especially seeing how the movesets for a number of returning MVC3 characters are pretty much the same.

Spidy

Neo Member
Would love if MvC returned to 2D animation... imagine a same art style for this as DB FighterZ.... they copied MvC fighting format, just copy their art style

Papacheeks

Banned
After playing the demo I think this game started out as something else and was put on hold, or direction changed mid development.

It feels and plays almost to a T like Ultimate MvC 3 control wise.

I wonder if this was the case for this game since design wise some of the characters look ok, while other's look like they came from a Mobile fighting game.

I wonder if Capcom will issue skins or updates for the look of some of the characters?

I feel more people after E3 were talking about DBZ from Ark Systems than MVC.

Ravelle

I was wondering the same.

I was looking at Megaman's model and noticed it was pretty low on polygons, the characters also seem to be a bit on the big side for a game like this, don't remember that being the case with the previous MvC.

Sheroking

After playing the demo I think this game started out as something else and was put on hold, or direction changed mid development.

It feels and plays almost to a T like Ultimate MvC 3 control wise.

Um... no? Like to the point I feel comfortable saying this is a just flat out untrue?

Entirely different mechanics, different physics, different buttons. Even most of the returning characters are more different than, say, Injustice 2's returning cast.

conpfreak

Yeah, I saw this during the Sony press conference stream and was like...wtf happened? The game looks like an Dead Fantasy episode (no offense to the artist of those videos, RIP). But obviously MvC: Infinite should have better resources than this.

Nyoro SF

SFV is also UE4 and it's 1) way more visually consistent and 2) Banana-hair aside, there isn't anything close to as bad as Chun/Dante

SFV also isn't covered with horrible chromatic aberration.

I really hope MvCI ships with lots of graphic options for PC. Save us wbacon, let us flip off CA.

Shredderi

The fact that last year Marvel pretty much made a statement about how seriously it's taking it's gaming side from now on, this surprised me. Could be it's not about just budget, but that their devs just aren't top tier. It happens.

Fury451

Banned

To be fair, Marvel/Disney have a bit of a loophole because this isn't necessarily a full-fledged licensed game, just a game that uses their license.

Semantics save the day yet again.

It's shocking how Capcom would do this twice though.

Eidan

Arc Systems Works is much more of a smaller company than Capcom yet their new Dragon Ball Z game looks much better than Marvel Vs Capcom and likely cheaper to produced.

I got shot down when I proposed that ArcSys should take over making a Marvel fighter free from the schackles of the Vs. franchise. After the Dragonball title, I feel even more strongly that this is the direction Marvel should go in.

Kneefoil

Could be budget, could be time, is almost certainly at least partially because of the art direction.

I wouldn't be surprised if the suggestion for a bit more grimier/realistic-looking art style came from the Marvel/Disney side because they want their characters to resemble their MCU characters more. The game still has to look somewhat cartoony to fit in Capcom characters, though. Earlier MvC's on the other hand totally owned up to the comic book look.

MoxManiac

I get the impression that Capcom doesn't really want to make fighting games any more, but they keep getting roped into doing so by other companies (Sony, Marvel)

Lulubop

It is definitely a lower budget and probably shorter time of development then MVC3. Especially seeing how the movesets for a number of returning MVC3 characters are pretty much the same.

why would you expect different move sets? Some of these characters have had the pretty much the same moves since the early days of the vs. What a weird complaint. Almost every character has new shit too.

TreIII

I get the impression that Capcom doesn't really want to make fighting games any more, but they keep getting roped into doing so by other companies (Sony, Marvel)

See, I'd be almost willing to believe that, if it weren't for the fact that esports and "games as service" have been things that Capcom has expressed interest in. The problem just has been that they can't get a product out there that doesn't make bad press for itself, on top of not selling up to their projections.

I'd be definitely willing to believe that if MvC Infinite is that "third strike", Capcom will be out for a good while. Especially considering how conservative the company is known to be here lately.

Fbh

Either that or a really short dev time.
During cutscenes it seriously looks like some fan modded some characters into a last gen fighting game.

What do they want to make though?.

Seems they aren't into RPG either with Deep Down gone and no news of Dragons Dogma online (Or a sequel) comming to the west.
They aren't into Action games since the only thing we have seen of DMC this gen have been remasters
They don't want to make Megan Man style sidescrolles except for terrible mobile ports.

I guess horror games? But apparently RE7 failed to meet their expectations so maybe they don't want to make those either now.

It's not specific to MvC:I, it actually seems to be every release from Capcom nowadays suffers from very limited budget and aggressive release. I feel like at some point in the past decade one of Capcom's big budget releases didn't make expectations and so they had to shorted budget/development on the next game after and then that happened again and again so the problem has compounded over time.

As has been mentioned before, Capcom needing funding from Sony to actually make Street Fighter 5 was really telling. And even then it was rushed out without the TLC it needed. Unfortunately MvCi looks like it's suffering similarly, although at least it'll have the playable modes (story, arcade) you'd expect from a fighting game. But unfortunately it's suffering in the roster department and for a series that is famed on how crazy deep the roster is, that's a huge issue.

Capcom's at least lucky that whatever team they still have knows the secret sauce behind a great playing fighting game.

I played the demo and I was really underwhelmed. I dislike the lack of a launch button, but that's the least of my complaints. The art style is atrocious, and the story mode and some of the voices are cringe inducing. MvC3 looked better than this. What's with the chromatic aberration as well?

The story in the demo is just pretty much an excuse for the characters to say each others' names like WHOAH this is a crossover game guys! We have Dante talking about Rocket Raccoon!

This will be the first Capcom fighter I'm skipping in a very long time. It's a shame too, because with all the recent advancement of the MCU this could have been so much better. It just seems incredibly low production value.

Nvzman

I'm leaning towards bad art direction and style, just like MVC3
MVC2 and SF4 are such good looking games, not sure what they were thinking
what the hell?
MVC3 is a beautiful looking game that animates fantastically. One of the few last-gen games that feels like it's barely aged.

MVC2 is the butt-fuckin-ugly game, especially when you remember how many of that games assets are reused from other Capcom fighters, complete with the contrasting art styles.

But I will say that MvC:I doesn't look too good.

Top Bottom