• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chuck Grassely (R): Tax cuts best for the rich, poor spend money on vices.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/03/grassley-tax-booze-women-movies-277764

Sen. Chuck Grassley defended his party's tax plan this weekend by saying that plans to reduce or eliminate the estate tax mean that people will use their money more wisely.

"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing,” Grassley (R-Iowa) told the Des Moines Register, “as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”

Now we know that this is completely illogical for many reasons, but this isn't about logic now is it. I can't help but notice the dog whistle and plea to class warefare.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The GOP has realized their base votes for them no matter what they do or say so why bother hiding their true thoughts anymore.

xStoyax

Banned
I see the same beggars in the streets every day. I also see nice, well meaning people offer help & give them money. I then see the same beggars with their paper bags drinking beer & smoking their cigarettes. So I never give a beggar money. I will point them to the closest store that has a hiring sign on it tho.

Yes, that's not the same as what the senator is saying & he shouldn't have said it. But it did make me think of what I see on streets

David___

Banned
Its not like the base will hold anyone in their party accountable, so what they say now doesnt really matter

HStallion

I see the same beggars in the streets every day. I also see nice, well meaning people offer help & give them money. I then see the same beggars with their paper bags drinking beer & smoking their cigarettes. So I never give a beggar money. I will point them to the closest store that has a hiring sign on it tho.

Yes, that's not the same as what the senator is saying & he shouldn't have said it. But it did make me think of what I see on streets

So you see a destitute person drinking and smoking and your first thought is to point them to a store that's hiring? Doesn't that come off as a bit arrogant and callous on your part considering the huge issues with the homeless community that often limit their ability to get a job in that first place like mental illness, a criminal record, general cleanliness and so on? You don't have to give them money but don't be an ass about the situation.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

Protip: the estate tax doesn't even hit you if you aren't a multimillionaire.

To this guy you are that beggar on the street and he hopes you fuck off and die

xStoyax

Banned
So you see a destitute person drinking and smoking and your first thought is to point them to a store that's hiring? Doesn't that come off as a bit arrogant and callous on your part considering the huge issues with the homeless community that often limit their ability to get a job in that first place like mental illness, a criminal record, general cleanliness and so on? You don't have to give them money but don't be an ass about the situation.

If they can figure out where to sit every day to beg the tourists & then have learned how to go buy your beer & cigarettes - pretty sure you can wash dishes & earn the money like the rest of the working class.

HStallion

If they can figure out where to sit every day to beg the tourists & then have learned how to go buy your beer & cigarettes - pretty sure you can wash dishes & earn the money like the rest of the working class.

Begging doesn't require a background check. Begging doesn't require you to be mentally sound. Begging doesn't require you to pass a drug test. Begging doesn't require a home address. Come the fuck on now, why not tell them to pull themselves up by their boot straps while you're at it?

Begging doesn't require a background check. Begging doesn't require you to be mentally sound. Begging doesn't require you to pass a drug test. Begging doesn't require a home address. Come the fuck on now, why not tell them to pull themselves up by their boot straps while you're at it?
Don't waste your time with a dumbfuck like him.

The GOP has realized their base votes for them no matter what they do or say so why bother hiding their true thoughts anymore.

It's hilarious given that he's talking shit about so many Trump supporters straight to their faces without a care in the world.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Yes because a beggar can walk into a store, when they have no proper housing, or even a bank account and be hired. Sorry, but your logic is just...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It's hilarious given that he's talking shit about so many Trump supporters straight to their faces without a care in the world.
How stupid are the people of Iowa the Republican party?

David___

Banned
They dont care because a person with an R is saying it and they fall in line like the spineless sheep they are. They could resurrect Hitler and put an R next to his name and the base would be fine with it

krazen

lol@"Lemmie acknowledge it has nothing to do with the OT, but lemmie sprinkle some anecdotal anti-poor shade here"

On the topic at hand: sadly enough the liquor and cigarette buyers ARE actually putting things back in the economy because its not as if money forked over for liquor/cigarettes isn't going into the hands of small business, into the hands of the suppliers, into the hands of the big corps that provide the products aka capitalism.

But ya know, the rich hoarding the cash in offshore funds like doomsday preppers is what helps the economy according to repubs.

HStallion

Poor people are dumb. Stop being poor.

Hey you had better go tell the world of this amazing idea for the solution to improving the lives of the lower classes. Just stop being poor. Bravo sir, its the big thinkers like you that are going to change the world.

I'm not sure how you can reconcile the degenerate habit of spending money on 'movies' with the massive tax breaks the Disney company get.

Where in this article does he reference poor people? He references people who are careless with their money how does that equate to poor people? He’s also right that people who are responsible with their money will benefit from this tax cut:

Where in this article does he reference poor people? He references people who are careless with their money how does that equate to poor people? He's also right that people who are responsible with their money will benefit from this tax cut:
People who invest money will benefit, people who don't invest must be spending all their money on booze and women, so they won't benefit. At best he's ignoring the huge group of people who simply don't have much to spend, at worst he thinks poor people are stupid, and that this is to blame for their being poor. Not a good look for any politician.

gaiadyne

Here's the thing which is better for the economy? People actively spending money on Anything, or people hording money away.

People who invest money will benefit, people who don't invest must be spending all their money on booze and women, so they won't benefit. At best he's ignoring the huge group of people who simply don't have much to spend, at worst he thinks poor people are stupid, and that this is to blame for their being poor. Not a good look for any politician.

How are you telling people how they think? This is a college educated forum, mostly, if I’m correct. The reading comprehension is outstanding. He said people who are frivolous with their money won’t benefit. He never said poor people.

How are you telling people how they think? This is a college educated forum, mostly, if I’m correct. The reading comprehension is outstanding. He said people who are frivolous with their money won’t benefit. He never said poor people.

Kanye West buys whatever the fuck he wants and invests his money coming out on top because he has so much. Ends justify the means. Rich individuals spend more on bullshit than poor individuals.

This politician made a bullshit classist remark. Especially since we know spending is more important than the estate tax, which is truly beneficial to rich pepole and not average Joes, so lower the middleclass taxes, fuck the estate tax.

The estate tax initiative is the target of the rich, intended to serve the rich, if you didn't understand the context.

luxsol

But he's right.

I did spend money on my GF going to the movies and drinking afterwards, instead of investing that money into apple and bitcoins

pramod

Banned
That's why Republicans are shitty politicians. If they weren't so brutally honest and instead said nice things all the time like Democrats, they would win a lot more elections!

But he's right.

I did spend money on my GF going to the movies and drinking afterwards, instead of investing that money into apple and bitcoins

This is nonsensical.

That's why Republicans are shitty politicians. If they weren't so brutally honest and instead said nice things all the time like Democrats, they would win a lot more elections!

This too doesn't make sense.

How are you telling people how they think? This is a college educated forum, mostly, if I'm correct. The reading comprehension is outstanding. He said people who are frivolous with their money won't benefit. He never said poor people.
Am I putting words in his mouth? I just outlined the two possible scenarios that happened here. Either he just happened to ignore the huge group of poor people who won't benefit when explaining the tax cuts, or he was referring to that group as spending money on pointless things. Those are the two options, unless you have an idea as to what he could mean here. I don't know the guy so I can't ask him. So I think, either he didn't talk about poor people, or he thinks they're stupid. In either of those case, it's kind of damning that he has so little regard for those without money to invest. Doesn't care enough to even mention them, or to give them some tax cuts to improve their lives.

Damerman

Lmaoooo. Can’t tell if irony is lost on him and he is a naive dumbass or if he is being disingenuous about drug abuse by the rich.

What in the name of everything that is good in this world are you getting at?

DR2K

Banned
Can’t help but laugh at the poor and pseudo middle class people that put him in office. They’re the biggest losers in all of this.

Dirca

Nope, not at all. Had a guy beg me in a parking lot for $10. Gave me a sob story about his family was freezing (it was winter) and he needed to buy kerosene for the heater. He was poorly dressed and I felt sorry for him. I gave him the money and wished his family the best and he walks off. I go into the grocery store and grab a few essentials. Lo and behold I see Mr sob story 2 people ahead of me in the next checkout aisle. He doesn't have kerosene, but instead has nothing but alcoholic beverages, at least $10 worth. I will NEVER give someone a handout again. If they're starving, I'll bring them McDonald's. If they just ask for any spare change, I tell them where they can get work.

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
This is pretty recent thread and we've already felt the need to remove two members.

Please feel free to discuss the issues further but be aware that whatever your political beliefs are, some people are going to disagree with them. That's fine, you're welcome to discuss it with them but personal attacks are not allowed.

Thank you.

HStallion

Nope, not at all. Had a guy beg me in a parking lot for $10. Gave me a sob story about his family was freezing (it was winter) and he needed to buy kerosene for the heater. He was poorly dressed and I felt sorry for him. I gave him the money and wished his family the best and he walks off. I go into the grocery store and grab a few essentials. Lo and behold I see Mr sob story 2 people ahead of me in the next checkout aisle. He doesn't have kerosene, but instead has nothing but alcoholic beverages, at least $10 worth. I will NEVER give someone a handout again. If they're starving, I'll bring them McDonald's. If they just ask for any spare change, I tell them where they can get work.

So my callous and arrogant call was correct? Gotcha.

Top Bottom