• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Run Time is 94 Minutes

Tom Nook

I guess it's a way to get more showtimes in the theaters. The fans of the book will watch it on theaters plus get the 2hr+ cut on BluRay.

Seven books. Dozens of characters. Multiple worlds. Interwoven story lines. Time traveling. Alternate realities.

In 90 minutes.

This is gonna fucking suck.

duckroll

No matter how much effort they put into the film, it's not going to satisfy anyone anyway. Dark Tower is too much of King being stuck up his own ass wanting a multiverse to link all his works so he can masturbate over them over and over.

Should have just done a 3 hour adaptation of Wizard and the Glass and called it a day. Amirite?

Busty

Banned
Looking at all movies released, it's actually pretty true even now and has been for a long time:

http://spartanideas.msu.edu/2014/01/25/movies-arent-actually-much-longer-than-they-used-to-be/

(Specifically the last chart that looks at all releases)

You said that there "was a time not long ago where most movies were in the 90 range".

The paper you posted from Michigan State University doesn't answer this question.

Most films in the forties and fifties were 90 minutes long. Is what you were referencing when you said "not long ago", the 1950's?

It blows my mind that people hate long movies as a rule. If a movie is bad then I don't want it to go on forever, but it's never been something I've minded.

If you don't go into it expecting a retelling of the books, it could work.

If you go into it expecting the books to be played out as written, you may as well not bother going to see it.

I say this for just about ever movie adaptation there is anymore. Try to watch it for what it is and suppress any comparisons you may have. It may STILL SUCK, but at least judge it on it's own.

dl77

I like a lot of short movies, and a lot of them are on that list. That being said most of those are smaller self contained stories with many of them being comedies or animated flicks.

Dark Tower doesn't exactly share many similarities. It's already a well established world with a shit ton going on.

Funnily enough that's why I think it's an acceptable running time. Those other films need to contain all the character building and story arcs within their running time. The Dark Tower is set up as the first part of a franchise so it can leave questions unanswered and corners of the world unfilled.

Still think it was a bad idea to do a movie in the first place.

Could have definitely been a mini series and called it a day.

Also the production budget is only $60 million so hopefully this won't be a complete bomb.

KHarvey16

You said that there "was a time not long ago where most movies were in the 90 range".

The paper you posted from Michigan State University doesn't answer this question.

Most films in the forties and fifties were 90 minutes long. Is what you were referencing when you said "not long ago", the 1950's?

That last graph shows the mean for all films released. It's hovered at around 90 minutes since the 50's, with the mean actually below 90 today.

People are right that a tight run time is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it's a refreshing change of pace from bloated films.

However, given that trailer already made this look like a Sci-Fi channel original movie, it doesn't bode well. The film already looks generic and undercooked, so this just adds fuel to that fire.

Effect

Seven books. Dozens of characters. Multiple worlds. Interwoven story lines. Time traveling. Alternate realities.

In 90 minutes.

This is gonna fucking suck.

They're not adapting all of that! If anything the title of the film is giving the wrong impression of what this is. It's not them condensing the entire series into one film. Since this is suppose to be a sequel it looks to be a alternate version of the Gunslinger. The name Dark Tower is likely used just to marketing since more people know that then the individual names of the films. If it does well and gets a sequel expect it to be retitled later on. It's happen before with films.

crimnos

Notlikethis.gif.

I enjoy movies with a short run-time, but the Dark Tower series has a backstory that easily rivals the Lord of the Rings in breadth. You don't have to cover everything, obviously, and I think you could cover the important points in two hours, but you'd need a truly skilled writer and director and this has neither of those. Between the run-time and the tone of the trailers, this has disaster written all over it, which saddens me because this is one of my all-time favorite series.

Hoping the TV show salvages the project.

Chris R

I'll still go and watch it at an early bird Saturday showing, but man, this is going to be a stinker :( If this is higher than 40% RT I'll be surprised.

dl77

If you don't go into it expecting a retelling of the books, it could work.

If you go into it expecting the books to be played out as written, you may as well not bother going to see it.

I say this for just about ever movie adaptation there is anymore. Try to watch it for what it is and suppress any comparisons you may have. It may STILL SUCK, but at least judge it on it's own.

If people are already saying "They'll never fit it all in in a 95 minute film" then their expectations for a movie adaptation are far too high. I struggle to think of a single film that offers the same texture and world building seen on the written page.

jayu26

Funnily enough that's why I think it's an acceptable running time. Those other films need to contain all the character building and story arcs within their running time. The Dark Tower is set up as the first part of a franchise so it can leave questions unanswered and corners of the world unfilled.
Moreover they are still planning the TV series. Not everything is crammed into this movie. People should want this to succeed so that we can get Sony Television guys, people who actually know what they are doing, to produce proper TV series to flush out the story.

Big Blue

People are weird. We have people complaining that it's only 94mins long and we have people cheering that it's only 94mins long.

It could be the best 94mins captured on film of all time or it could be the worst 94mins captured on film of all time or anything in between.

I don't see how you can be happy or sad simply about a runtime.

Multiple people have mentioned it if you care to read the posts. Such a short runtime with such a massive backstory does not bode well. Can you imagine if Harry Potter and the Sorceror's stone was only 94 minutes??? It would cut out so many important, world-building details.

Busty

Banned
That last graph shows the mean for all films released. It's hovered at around 90 minutes since the 50's, with the mean actually below 90 today.

So when you posted..,

There was a time not long ago where most movies were in the 90 range.

What you were referring to wasn't the actual length of films but rather the average feature film length for all feature films in the IMDB database between 1906 and 2013 as taken from a Michigan State University paper?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's never, ever a good sign when a movie is that short, especially if it's not a comedy.

xrnzaaas

We'll see what that means when the movie releases but from my experience I can say that not a lot movies truly benefit from a longer runtime.

dl77

Dunkirk is only 13 minutes longer though!

Really?! Oh thank God for that. I thought that after the near 3 hours of TDKR and Interstellar than if Nolan did a war film I'd have to clear a whole day to watch it in one sitting!

KHarvey16

So when you posted..,

What you were referring to wasn't the actual length of films but rather the average feature film length for all feature films in the IMDB database between 1906 and 2013 as taken from a Michigan State University paper?

That's not me, but a rolling average across the decades showing a mean of 90 minutes running time would seem to support a statement that most films are approximately 90 minutes.

I guess the point I'm making is that a 94 minute movie isn't unusual or out of the ordinary, but almost exactly average. Longer than average, if anything.

It's never, ever a good sign when a movie is that short, especially if it's not a comedy.

Yep! As I said previously Horror and Comedy are the two genres can that can typically handle such a short runtime.

In fact I challenge any GAFer to name the last film in this genre that had runtime of equivalent or less that was any good.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This makes me a bit less enthusiastic to watch the movie. I prefer longer films overall. Time's just one factor, of course, and I'm unfamiliar with the source material anyway. But eh.

Will still see it.

Effect

The length of a film should not determine its quality. They're not adapting the entire series in a single film. That wouldn't have worked regardless of how long it was. I get the impression from the trailer the story is going to be extremely straight forward and maybe even fast paced.

In addition to Dunkirk lets look at some other films. John Wick is an 1 and 47 minutes long. JW2 is 2 hours and that maybe could have been shorter like the first on. Both come to mind since I just recently saw both. Dark Tower being 1 and 34 minutes isn't as big deal really.

The film could be bad. I just don't think the runtime is the thing that should freak people out. Now if we watch and it's clear there is stuff cut that should be in then yeah the runtime is bad.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Whiplash. Not a comedy. 106 with credits. One of best movies of this decade. What the hell are you talking about?

106 is not 90. But anyway, I'm taking about stuff like this this.

Modern Hollywood movies with troubled productions that end up with a 90 minute runtime have a certain stench around them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I mean it's part of a new game+ story so not everything needs to be explained.

Still if there are too many unexplainable things audiences will turn off as you gotta have some shit make sense.

jayu26

106 is not 90. But anyway, I'm taking about stuff like this this.

Movies with troubled productions that end up with a 90 minute runtime have a certain stench around them.
This movie is not 90 either.

Oh no not the stench of troubled development! Pretty sure since they hired Nikolaj Arcel the production has actually gone fairly smoothly.

Edit: Bah, I'm an asshole for saying crossed out part.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yep! As I said previously Horror and Comedy are the two genres can that can typically handle such a short runtime.

In fact I challenge any GAFer to name the last film in this genre that had runtime of equivalent or less that was any good.

I don't think people are taking into consideration the type of film this is. A live action summer blockbuster coming in at 90 mins is highly abnormal. I saw The Shallows last year, but that's small and a horror/thriller. All those contained space type films are 90ish minutes. Quantum of Solace is under 2 hours but *drum roll* that movie was heavily impacted by the writer's strike.

And that's ignoring that the director has never worked on a movie this big before. Oh, and the writers have a notorious track record. This looks like a salvage job, plain and simple. Of course there are good 90 min movies. But movies like this? Very few and far between.

JoeBoy101

No matter how much effort they put into the film, it's not going to satisfy anyone anyway. Dark Tower is too much of King being stuck up his own ass wanting a multiverse to link all his works so he can masturbate over them over and over.

Should have just done a 3 hour adaptation of Wizard and the Glass and called it a day. Amirite?

I find myself wishing to disagree with this and can't. For some reason, King won't accept that his Magnum Opus was The Stand.

Wha? All of his works were already connected for the most part, not even including TDT.

Although I agree that W&G would have been by far the easiest for a straight adaption that could have been great. Its a single contained story, has pretty much everything you need for a good story, and is imo the best book of the series.

Really mostly I just want to see the City of Lud part of the storyline in film, books 2 and 3 could have made a amazing single 3 hr movie a la the first LOTR

Top Bottom