• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameCentral for Metro.co.uk: hands-on with Doom VFR, Skyrim VR, and Fallout 4 VR

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/18/bethesda-vr-hands-on-with-doom-vfr-skyrim-vr-and-fallout-4-vr-6935232/

GameCentral for Metro.co.uk just played these Bethesda VR titles.

on DOOM VFR
The first thing you learn about VR is that despite what you might imagine fast action games, including first person shooters, do not work. Despite how some shooters love to talk about realism the movement is too superhumanly fast to be endured by most people, without inducing severe nausea. Resident Evil 7, and Bethesda’s first person role-players, work fine because they’re quite slow-paced, but something like Doom would be a terrible idea. And yet apparently not.
Unlike the role-players, Doom VFR (the ‘F’ stands for the same thing as it does in Doom’s BFG) is an entirely new game. It reuses the same enemies, and many of the same visuals, from last year’s reboot but it is not just the original game with VR support. Bethesda fully understand that you can’t control a game as fast and manic as Doom in VR, and so instead the game relies on the teleport method of movement. Common in many VR titles, you indicate a point on the ground in front of you and then press a button to instantly move there.
The teleport system helps to reduce nausea, but as you can imagine it also reduces the sense of immersion. But it actually works extremely well in Doom VFR. There’s some story nonsense about being uploaded to a computer and being beamed into various robots, but whatever the excuse is the action hold up very well indeed.

It’s particularly good when using the Vive headset because you can turn around 360° just by moving your body, which will have to be handled by an analogue stick or button on PlayStation VR. But teleporting proves to be surprisingly nuanced, as the game enters a sort of bullet time when you’re aiming your teleport cursor, allowing you to zip in and out of danger with an impressive amount of grace.
There’s even an equivalent to the reboot’s Glory Kills, where you get to ‘telefrag’ an enemy by teleporting into a staggered monster and exploding them from the inside out.
Apparently the full game also has some puzzle elements, with the ability to take control of a number of smaller robots, but we didn’t see any of that. Instead what we got was basically the most realistic Arnold Schwarzenegger (circa 1987) simulation ever made, and glorious in its complete lack of subtlety or depth.
With luck, Doom VFR will also severe as inspiration for other big name first person shooters looking to move into VR. So if there is ever a Call Of Duty VR or Battlefield VR it may well look and work something like this. Just with less demons from hell.

on Skyrim VR
Skyrim is six years old in a couple of months. Despite that fact there’s still not even a hint of a sequel, and for two very good reasons: the game is being re-released not once but twice this year. The first time is on the Switch, as part of Bethesda’s surprisingly enthusiastic support of Nintendo’s console, and the second is on PlayStation VR. A HTC Vive version is apparently planned for next year, but for now the VR version is a Sony exclusive.
Bethesda’s role-players seem like the perfect fit for VR: they’re first person but slow-paced, and filled with so much to see and do there’s no way they could be accused of being a glorified tech demo. Except this kind of is. The first thing that strikes you when putting on the VR headset is the incredibly low resolution. Neither Skyrim nor Fallout were designed with VR in mind, and so it seems that not only does the headset naturally limit the resolution but it’s been reduced further in order to keep the game running at a decent speed.
As a consequence the frame rate is fine, but the visuals are so blocky that it looks more like Minecraft than a game attempting to be photorealistic (ignore these bullshots, that’s not what the demo we played looked like at all). But none of that is Bethesda’s fault, they’re just working with the hardware they’ve got, and they’ve managed to get Skyrim’s controls working very well with PlayStation Move. There will be DualShock control in the final version, but moving around with the Move’s face buttons, and using teleporting to go forward, felt surprisingly natural to us.

What was a problem though was combat. The motion detection for using a sword was very ropey, and waving it around like an impotent bread knife looked pretty laughable. The magic spells on your hands are great though, especially the Emperor Palpatine lightning bolts. We also liked how the bow worked, as you have to actually hock the arrow and pull the bow back to fire, in a surprisingly realistic manner. This was all a bit twitchy though, with lots of graphical glitches that are a rather worrying considering it’s due out in November.
Whether you’d want to spend 200 hours with a VR helmet on your head for any game is a question in itself, and that’s before taking into consideration the constraints of Skyrim on PlayStation VR. It’ll be full price too, although that does include all the DLC expansions. It is certainly an interesting novelty, and we didn’t get any nausea using teleport movement, but just don’t expect the Star Trek holodeck…

on Fallout 4 VR
With Skyrim barely running properly on PlayStation VR it seems as if Bethesda’s most recent role-player is just too much for it. Fallout 4 VR is only being released for HTC Vive, and once again it’s a full price release – although this time without any of the DLC. Running on a powerful PC there’s no compromise in terms of the visuals, but suddenly being able to move around the world like a real person turns Fallout into a very different kind of game.
Unlike PlayStation VR, or Oculus Rift, the Vive headset allows you to walk around a fairly large area in front of the TV and still interact with the game world. You don’t need to turn using a button or a controller, you just turn. You also don’t move a cursor to aim, you aim with your arm. And that quickly turns Fallout 4 into something closer to a straight shooter.
The demo area we were exploring was set-up with lots of enemies, and taking them down proved far easier than it would’ve in the original version. And while V.A.T.S. is still part of the game its slow motion effect feels more like something out of Bayonetta than the tactical aid it was originally supposed to be. None of this is necessarily a criticism, but the feel of the game in VR is very different from just playing on a PC or TV.

Bethesda also let us explore outside the demo area, allowing us to get a go on some power armour and explore the post-apocalyptic streets and wilderness. With the improved visuals it was a far more awe-inspiring sight than Skyrim, although it was still obvious that this is a game that was never originally designed for VR. Again, it was the melee weapons that seemed the oddest, as you wave around supposedly deadly weapons like a little toy truncheon.
The Pipboy works better, although it’s a bit weird to see it’s not attached to a virtual arm. You’re able to hold it up and look at it just by flexing your arm though, as if it was a real, physical thing, and the menus are just as easy to use as in the original version.
When Bethesda do create a new role-player, presumably starting with The Elder Scrolls VI, they’ll no doubt do it with VR firmly in mind from the start. And that’s important because the difference between Doom VFR – a game specifically designed for VR – and Skyrim and Fallout 4 is considerable. The role-players are a fudge, and although they seem relatively successful they’re still really only a hint at what a bigger and more complex game would be like in VR.

Skyrim sounds like I expected it to be. Excited to see how it goes, see how it feels and plays and then probably do a full run of the game on the Switch version (I do a lot of travelling).

Haven't played the game for about four years so I'm ready to jump back in and VR/Portable seem like the perfect ways to do it.

Though, I do understand why a lot of people will likely not be too interested in Skyrim VR but its a dream come true for me, even if it is a bit lacking.

Played Farpoint last night in co-op with a friend, VR is unbeatable when it comes to immersion,The visuals in Farpoint are some of the best available. But we completed Arizona Sunshine before Farpoint and the visuals in that game aren't that great, Didn't stop us having a great time and not wanting it to end.

I am more than fine with visuals in VR so Skyrim will still be playable aslong as you get a great sense of presence like you get in Resi 7, Farpoint, AS.

Jackpot

Banned
The first thing that strikes you when putting on the VR headset is the incredibly low resolution. Neither Skyrim nor Fallout were designed with VR in mind, and so it seems that not only does the headset naturally limit the resolution but it’s been reduced further in order to keep the game running at a decent speed. As a consequence the frame rate is fine, but the visuals are so blocky that it looks more like Minecraft than a game attempting to be photorealistic (ignore these bullshots, that’s not what the demo we played looked like at all).

eep.

Having played fallout 4 VR at pax, it didn't feel ready. Iron sights on guns did not line up properly, movement outside of teleporting felt very "slidey" (I intentionally turned on free locomotion against advisement because I wanted to see how they were handling it.) Orientation for movement was independent from my head direction, which felt a little off, but I could get used to it. The main issue for me was the Vives lack of an analog stick for movement for this, I think it would feel much better with the Oculus Touch controllers or Knuckles down the line potentially. Using VATS let's you teleport and fire in slow motion, aiming at a specific limb and firing, moves slightly faster than the effect in the normal game. The issue is the aim of the weapons was incredibly poor outside a notable handful of weapons like a sawed off shotgun and 10mm pistol. Who's sight accuracy was great. The rest of the weapons I tried we're basically aim in the general direction and fire, missing lots of shots even though sighting perfectly. My buddies and nearly everyone I talked to who had tried it, had agreed and stated they ended up just relying on rocket spamming to kill enemies. (They gave us virtually unlimited ammo). I'm still very interested in this title, but if it releases in the state I played it at PAX it's going to require quite a bit of work from the modding community to get things feeling right. That is assuming we can even mod it.

OBias

The first thing that strikes you when putting on the VR headset is the incredibly low resolution. Neither Skyrim nor Fallout were designed with VR in mind, and so it seems that not only does the headset naturally limit the resolution but it’s been reduced further in order to keep the game running at a decent speed.
As a consequence the frame rate is fine, but the visuals are so blocky that it looks more like Minecraft than a game attempting to be photorealistic (ignore these bullshots, that’s not what the demo we played looked like at all).

Yikes.

Steel

Banned
Played Farpoint last night in co-op with a friend, VR is unbeatable when it comes to immersion,The visuals in Farpoint are some of the best available. But we completed Arizona Sunshine before Farpoint and the visuals in that game aren't that great, Didn't stop us having a great time and not wanting it to end.

I am more than fine with visuals in VR so Skyrim will still be playable aslong as you get a great sense of presence like you get in Resi 7, Farpoint, AS.

Wha, Arizona sunshine looks great? It's not the best looking vr game but... Wait, this was on PSVR, wasn't it?

Not really surprising considering the hardware.

Having played fallout 4 VR at pax, it didn't feel ready. Iron sights on guns did not line up properly, movement outside of teleporting felt very "slidey" (I intentionally turned on free locomotion against advisement because I wanted to see how they were handling it.) Orientation for movement was independent from my head direction, which felt a little off, but I could get used to it. The main issue for me was the Vives lack of an analog stick for movement for this, I think it would feel much better with the Oculus Touch controllers or Knuckles down the line potentially. Using VATS let's you teleport and fire in slow motion, aiming at a specific limb and firing, moves slightly faster than the effect in the normal game. The issue is the aim of the weapons was incredibly poor outside a notable handful of weapons like a sawed off shotgun and 10mm pistol. Who's sight accuracy was great. The rest of the weapons I tried we're basically aim in the general direction and fire, missing lots of shots even though sighting perfectly. My buddies and nearly everyone I talked to who had tried it, had agreed and stated they ended up just relying on rocket spamming to kill enemies. (They gave us virtually unlimited ammo). I'm still very interested in this title, but if it releases in the state I played it at PAX it's going to require quite a bit of work from the modding community to get things feeling right. That is assuming we can even mod it.

That's the Bethesda way.

I played early VR mods of Skyrim and it was clear that making it feel up to scratch with other VR titles was going to be a lot of work and that was still way before VR games have progressed as they have. With the games available now to compare it to there is a huge amount of work for them to do.

I'm picking it up anyway even though I really dislike Skyrim as I really want an RPG in VR but I'm not going in with high expectations. I have a feeling the way to play will be with a standard controller for both Skyrim and Fallout as what makes games with full motion tracking is the type of interaction not just being able to flair your arms around and frankly considering the amount of interactions in the games I don't see them significantly overhauling the game systems.

My main hope though is that the vertical slices they have been showing are based on very old code and the game has been developed significantly since they created them and not wasted any time updating them.

KORNdoggy

as someone who thought skyrim was shit, i'm looking foward to the VR release...just not for anything even approaching full retail price. i might have jumped in earlier if it could have been played without VR too, like the remastered version of the game. but VR only for a game so epic in length?...i love VR but even i need breaks.

Durante

Fallout 4 will be the kind of thing you want a 1180ti for.

Fallout is the only one of those experiences that sounds enjoyable. Teleporting sounds pretty lame.
Teleporting is a pretty awesome mechanic when well integrated.
(Even in games not originally built for it, like Serious Sam TFE/TSE VR)

as someone who thought skyrim was shit, i'm looking foward to the VR release...just not for anything even approaching full retail price. i might have jumped in earlier if it could have been played without VR too, like the remastered version of the game. but VR only for a game so epic in length?...i love VR but even i need breaks.

You don't need to play the game in one go though and most quest lines aren't that long. I think I put about 30hrs into the base game and did most of the bigger quests and thats when I was done with it. I have put significantly more time into many VR games already.

KORNdoggy

You don't need to play the game in one go though and most quest lines aren't that long. I think I put about 30hrs into the base game and did most of the bigger quests and thats when I was done with it. I have put significantly more time into many VR games already.

i don't really consider games like elders scrolls, fallout or witcher 3 to be "dip in and out" type games. i realize there are quests that are all of 10 minutes long, but you can spend 10 times that long managing your inventory in one play session. and who wants to draw out 200 hours worth of content across 1200 10 minute sessions anyway. lol.

i would have definitely appreciated them going the route of resident evil 7 though and letting us continue our game in 2D when we might not be feeling up for VR but still wish to play.

Schlomo

It’s particularly good when using the Vive headset because you can turn around 360° just by moving your body, which will have to be handled by an analogue stick or button on PlayStation VR.

Turning 360° is no problem for PSVR, if it wasn't for the cables. Is the Vive cordless?

extralite

Turning 360° is no problem for PSVR, if it wasn't for the cables. Is the Vive cordless?

The problem is when you turn 180° and obstruct the lights of your controllers with your own body. Unless you have attached your camera to the ceiling, this will always be a problem.

DS4 without position tracking still works but that is much less immersive than having proper hand presence.

ffvorax

Looks exactly what I expected:
Doom will be fun and good.
Skyrim/Fallout porting that are fascinating but not worth full price...

The Hermit

I applaud Bethesda for pushing the medium and trying to work with the current limitations.

I still don't think it's for me, since I have severe nausea being a passenger in the car, but I hope one day I try.

Schlomo

The problem is when you turn 180° and obstruct the lights of your controllers with your own body. Unless you have attached your camera to the ceiling, this will always be a problem.

DS4 without position tracking still works but that is much less immersive than having proper hand presence.

Ah, right! I didn't think about controller tracking.

gmoran

I'm hoping Doom VFR supports The Aim controller. They haven't said it will—which strongly suggests it won't—but watching video footage this doesn't appear to be dual wielding or predominantly so, so on PSVR The Aim would be the obvious choice.

Fingers crossed

Well, I'm disappointed in what I'm hearing about Fallout. Would be awesome if the modding community is able to bring it up to snuff.

Doom VFR sounds awesome! Really looking forward to more AAA devs building games from the ground up for VR.

"Unlike PlayStation VR, or Oculus Rift, the Vive headset allows you to walk around a fairly large area in front of the TV and still interact with the game world."

Can't believe people still think this... you can walk around just as much with Oculus as you can with Vive

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
But none of that is Bethesda's fault, they're just working with the hardware they've got
Not to point out the obvious (that better looking games than Skyrim can run higher res than that on PS4), but this logic implies it's never the developer's fault for a game running bad, as long as it's targeting fixed hardware platform.

Not really surprising considering the hardware.

To me it kinda is, it's based on a 6 year old game and not the shinier remaster of it, so it shouldn't look like Minecraft.

Well I'm gonna wait for the final product and more opinions, but this doesn't sound like a product I'd want to pay full price for.

Doom and Skyrim sound great. I'm definitely picking those two up as soon as they come out. I expect I'll be playing Skyrim with a controller though but I'll try it both ways.

By the way the Minecraft comparison was hyperbole. There's no way it's true.

Bookoo

"Unlike PlayStation VR, or Oculus Rift, the Vive headset allows you to walk around a fairly large area in front of the TV and still interact with the game world."

Can't believe people still think this... you can walk around just as much with Oculus as you can with Vive

Yea and it sucks even more when publications say it even more people will repeat it.

None of these games looked particularly good. Skyrim looked like it would be terrible and FO4 only looked marginally better. DoomVFR looked ok and at least seems built for VR, but it seemed like a mindless wave shooter.

bleh...Im absolutely sick of teleporting so DOOM VFR is a no go. Skyrim I played to death back in the day so no interest there, especially with PS4 limitations, and Fallout is missing the DLC, the only part of Fallout 4 I haven't already played...

Shit, can't believe I'm not interested in any of these.

iswasdoes

Doom sounds like the right approach - take the ip and assets but build the game around the strengths and weaknesses of VR.

I will def try fallout as have not played it before but from my experiences in VR it works best when the game is built from the ground up for the medium

bleh...Im absolutely sick of teleporting so DOOM VFR is a no go. Skyrim I played to death back in the day so no interest there, especially with PS4 limitations, and Fallout is missing the DLC, the only part of Fallout 4 I haven't already played...

Shit, can't believe I'm not interested in any of these.
Teleporting into stunned monsters making them explode is pretty cool though.

Tain

I'll be passing on Fallout and Skyrim. I love VR, but I'm not a big fan of Bethesda's games and nothing about the VR implementation sounds particularly noteworthy.

Doom will be cool, though. It still has non-teleportation options, right? Not that it's a dealbreaker. It'll be wonderful if it manages to be a better game than Robo Recall, but I'm not expecting it to be.

Does anybody know if Skyrim VR also allows you to play the game normally on the TV outside of VR mode? I ask because I'm curious to try the game in VR, but if it ends up being a really bad experience in VR, then it would be nice to still be able to play through Skyrim regularly without VR since it's a full price game and I don't want to feel like my money was wasted.

Steel

Banned
To me it kinda is, it's based on a 6 year old game and not the shinier remaster of it, so it shouldn't look like Minecraft.

Well I'm gonna wait for the final product and more opinions, but this doesn't sound like a product I'd want to pay full price for.

It's a 6 year old game that ran like crap on last gen consoles, runs OK on current gen, but not at the speed that VR requires. Of course there'd be sacrifices.

Does anybody know if Skyrim VR also allows you to play the game normally on the TV outside of VR mode? I ask because I'm curious to try the game in VR, but if it ends up being a really bad experience in VR, then it would be nice to still be able to play through Skyrim regularly without VR since it's a full price game and I don't want to feel like my money was wasted.

They're selling it separate from the Special Edition which is also being sold on PS4, so I doubt it. Otherwise they would just make VR work with the existing SE.

Tagyhag

Not interested in Doom VR but Fallout VR and Skyrim VR could be good stuff, at least on the Vive. Sucks that Fallout doesn't have all the DLC when Skyrim does though.

Out of the box only one of those headset bundles is roomscale compatible. That said, the way they worded it does sound wrong.

I'll be passing on Fallout and Skyrim. I love VR, but I'm not a big fan of Bethesda's games and nothing about the VR implementation sounds particularly noteworthy.

Doom will be cool, though. It still has non-teleportation options, right? Not that it's a dealbreaker. It'll be wonderful if it manages to be a better game than Robo Recall, but I'm not expecting it to be.

It also has what they call "strafe" movement which, from the descriptions, sound a lot like the cardinal direction movement option in The Mage's Tale if you played that.

It's a 6 year old game that ran like crap on last gen consoles, runs OK on current gen, but not at the speed that VR requires. Of course there'd be sacrifices.

Yeah, now that you're mentioning it :( never played Skyrim on any platform, so I didn't remember how bad it was.

Doom and Skyrim sound great. I'm definitely picking those two up as soon as they come out. I expect I'll be playing Skyrim with a controller though but I'll try it both ways.

By the way the Minecraft comparison was hyperbole. There's no way it's true.
Yeah, there is plenty of direct feed and off-screen footage of Skyrim VR. The Minecraft comment is laughable.

Nothing in that article hints at anything new compared to the old demo versions available since E3.
Quite frankly I don't expect Bethesda to constantly waste resources trying to make an updated demo as they are busy with the main build for release.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
So in theory, could the supposed vive version of skyrim VR be played on that new offbrand "8k" headset? Because that would be sweet.

Elder Scrolls is the only thing that could maybe get me to blow thousands on vr and a new super pc to play it.

Swinging swords around like toy balloons sounds lame though. I like the slow deliberate combat in skyrim but I guess the player could always self impose a weighted 'thing' to hold.

Top Bottom