• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

yami4ct

is it weird I have the CE preordered and never played a Persona game before?

Not really. What's weird is that P4 is my favorite game of all time, yet I don't even own a copy. I own, P2, P3:FES, and P3P, but not P4. I rented the PS2 version, my first Persona title, loved it and went from there. Never got around to buying it. Glad to finally have a copy to put on my shelf.

Kyon

Banned
I assume there's a walkthrough out to get Platinum in a single playthrough?

Just look it up on YouTube. With the 1000's of playthroughs uploaded you should find every way to get all trophies :D

Not sure if there's trophies for the extra content but for all the main story stuff.. Making the World Persona will probably be a bit difficult first playthrough not sure

yami4ct

Is there any decent legal place to stream the first half in English?

The japanese voices/English subtitles version was on hulu+ but I couldn't deal with the squealy Japanese voice cast.

Dub episodes are on the anime network's website, but only for premiums after the first episode. They may have a free trial that you could use and you could marathon it all, or you could subscribe just for a month or something. Other than that, BD/DVD is the only legal alternative.

I assume there's a walkthrough out to get Platinum in a single playthrough?

Don't think there's one yet, but there will be. Most of the stuff should be doable on one playthrough, but one specific boss fight does not happen until the end of your second. It's impossible to platinum this on one go.

yami4ct

I couldn't fathom using YouTube for that... hopefully there's a FAQ that tells me who to woo on what days.

For the s-link stuff, someone always eventually does a calendar you can easily use to plan your days. Problem is, P4G adds 2 new S-Links and like an extra month of stuff, so you'll have to wait for a new one.

Ravidrath

For the s-link stuff, someone always eventually does a calendar you can easily use to plan your days. Problem is, P4G adds 2 new S-Links and like an extra month of stuff, so you'll have to wait for a new one.

I guess I was hoping one already existed from the Japanese version, because I really, really don't want to wait a second to start this up.

Gamefaqs has a (partial, I think) Social Link guide for Golden already.

Cool, maybe they'll be done by the time the game's out here, or their head start will let me play as it finishes up.

Solid Gold edition coming via Amazon, still have my PS2 copy & DoubleJump guide.

I will be playing this from the 20th until whenever...

Get hype.

Duffyside

Banned
Since I already know how this game goes, I'm tempted to wait for a trophy roadmap so I can get as many as possible in one run. As much as I love this game, 80ish hours is more than enough for me.

Westlo

I bought a launch Vita mainly for this and gravity rush (as well as a place to put all my psx and psp RPGs..)

Day fucking 1.

Only got upto kanjis dungeon in my ps2 run, so most of this will be fresh.

Also fuck you atlus for that PAL release date, thankfully unlike Arena I can import this.

Seik

Banned
Great OP, gotta respect all that work (and love) that went into it. :D

Can't wait for launch day, this will be sweet.

Charles

Vita noon here. Will I be able to import this from the USA and play it on on my EU psn account? What about updates and dlc? EU release is in march, and I don't think I can wait that long.

Noi

Vita noon here. Will I be able to import this from the USA and play it on on my EU psn account? What about updates and dlc? EU release is in march, and I don't think I can wait that long.

You can play and update it just fine, but you'll be locked out of any potential DLC.

speaking of which, how is performance vs ps2 version? Any side by side?

I don't remember ps2 one having super long loading... but I assume it's better here no?

So jealous of anyone who is getting this.The soonest I'd be able to get this and a vita is January, so I'm going to have to get by on people's posts.

Also Persona-Gaf is Best Gaf

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ugh. Chie's VA is the same chick who voiced Quark in Virtue's Last Reward... so whenever she speaks all I can imagine is Quark :(

yami4ct

Ugh. Chie's VA is the same chick who voiced Quark in Virtue's Last Reward... so whenever she speaks all I can imagine is Quark :(

I've had the reverse problem with a lot of P4's VAs, haha. Many of them are everywhere. Yosuke's voice, Yuri Lowenthal, is a problem for me in particular. He really doesn't given a lot of variance in his performances and whenever I hear him not as Yosuke, it really takes me out of it.

I've had the reverse problem with a lot of P4's VAs, haha. Many of them are everywhere. Yosuke's voice, Yuri Lowenthal, is a problem for me in particular. He really doesn't given a lot of variance in his performances and whenever I hear him not as Yosuke, it really takes me out of it.

Lowenthal, O'Brien, Bosch, Baker and Bailey sound fucking identical in absolutely everything they do and it's been a problem for me for a while. Blum has got a lot of range, but everybody makes him and North do the same voices all the time. Jenn Hales always recognizable but she's so great that it's not quite as bad. It's a problem in the whole industry, japanese included, there's maybe 100 total voice actors and only about 20 of them get regular work.

yami4ct

Lowenthal, O'Brien, Bosch, Baker and Bailey sound fucking identical in absolutely everything they do and it's been a problem for me for a while. Blum has got a lot of range, but everybody makes him and North do the same voices all the time. Jenn Hales always recognizable but she's so great that it's not quite as bad. It's a problem in the whole industry, japanese included, there's maybe 100 total voice actors and only about 20 of them get regular work.

I feel like Baker at least has a few voices he can do and just generally enjoy O'Brien's stuff. Bailey at least has 2-3 different voices she does, so that helps. Lowenthal is the one who's the freaking exact same thing every time. It works for Yosuke, but it's really difficult outside of that.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Blum/North comment. I think a lot of these actors are like that. They have a much greater range than they're allowed to demonstrate. Baker's character in the show Darker than Black was near unrecognizable. He pulled off a believable British accent. It was as surprising as finding out North did Penguin in Arkham City. These people can do more, but the VO directors just want the stuff they're known for.

Squire

Banned

You only watch anime, huh?

mollipen

Okay, so... I haven't played P4 since I was reviewing the NA version before it hit, and I've played countless games since then. When MC dies in battle, you're dropped back to whenever your last save was—wasn't that the way P4 originally worked? Or am I totally forgetting how to play Persona?

Jay-B - Size is 3137MB.

Squire

Banned
I only watch about 5-6 shows total, and only one of them is anime. Why?

Those actors do get chances to use their range, but almost never in anime. Hale, Blum, etc all make the bulk of their money doing American kids shows on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc. And they get a lot of chances, too because they work constantly. Voice acting pays poorly, but anime pays terribly and the production process is awful and tiring. No clue what games pay. Also: commercials.

Those actors do get chances to use their range, but almost never in anime. Hale, Blum, etc all make the bulk of their money doing American kids shows on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc. And they get a lot of chances, too because they work constantly. Voice acting pays poorly, but anime pays terribly and the production process is awful and tiring. No clue what games pay. Also: commercials.

Well, the only other thing I've heard Blum in aside from games is the new Avatar, and surprise surprise, Amon sounds exactly like Steve Blum.

Squire

Banned
Well, the only other thing I've heard Blum in aside from games is the new Avatar, and surprise surprise, Amon sounds exactly like Steve Blum.

Because one thing you said is absolutely true: a lot of these actors have a particular voice that's just popular. That Steve sounds like that in Avatar is course on purpose, no one will convince me they weren't (at least a little bit) thinking of Renegade FemShep when they cast J. Hale in Halo 4, etc etc.

But you can find things where Steve sounds different. Only anime example I've got is Digimon.

Because one thing you said is absolutely true: a lot of these actors have a particular voice that's just popular. That Steve sounds like that in Avatar is course on purpose, no one will convince me they weren't (at least a little bit) thinking of Renegade FemShep when they cast J. Hale in Halo 4, etc etc.

But you can find things where Steve sounds different. Only anime example I've got is Digimon.

It's a crying shame all around. Lowenthal speaks three languages fluently, and yet I heard him speaking english 99% of the time in Metro 2033.

Jb

Okay, so... I haven't played P4 since I was reviewing the NA version before it hit, and I've played countless games since then. When MC dies in battle, you're dropped back to whenever your last save was—wasn't that the way P4 originally worked? Or am I totally forgetting how to play Persona?

Yes I'm pretty sure that's how the game handles continues since at least P3. Maybe they changed it for P4G though.

Really hope the new voices for chie/teddie that were good in P4, but OH GOD ALL CAPS AWFUL in P4A are not as bad in this. Would be a giant bummer.

Charlie is cannon. Deal with it weeaboos.
Charlie ain't got SHIT on Yu 'Swag God' Narukami:
oXo9Z.gif

Top Bottom