• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about...Chinese RPGs

Yottamole

Banned
I've been wanting to post a thread like this here in NeoGAF, but was too lazy...

Anyway, I think that most Westerners probably have never heard of Chinese RPGs, but in the late 90's, they were big. Big in mainland China, Taiwan (where the first Chinese RPGs were made), Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. Unfortunately, because of piracy issues, the market of those games slowly dwindled, and right now the only games on the Chinese market are MMORPG rip-offs of World of Warcraft and Lineage. New single player RPGs are almost dead in China.

So what's a Chinese RPG like? Well, for the most part the game plays exactly like a Japanese RPG (although there are some Action RPG variants that play almost exactly like Diablo), with all the standard level ups and etc. Most of the games were released for PC only. The games were almost always set in Ancient China, and many of them actually had plots linked to real historical events. Instead of magical spells, Chinese RPGs had martial art techniques. They were not exactly like Jade Empire (which was made by a Western developer, targeted toward a Western audience); Instead, Chinese RPGs usually contained tons of Chinese poetry and literature and artistic stuff, and many of them were directly based off Chinese novels. Because of this, virtually none of them were translated into a foreign language, so you can't really enjoy them if you don't read Chinese...

You can look at these games as simple knock-offs of traditional JRPGs set in a Chinese environment, but from what I've played (my first RPG was Chinese...then came Pokemon and Dragon Quest), there was just something special about these games. There was a certain level of maturity in the development of the characters and the settings in these games that were simply unmatched by traditional JRPGs.

For a more detailed overview on Chinese RPGs check out this article:
http://www.mobygames.com/featured_article/feature,25/section,178/

Fan translations of Chinese RPGs:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/Fantranslation/Romhacking3.htm

List of many obscure Chinese-language games (not limited to RPGs):
http://hg101.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=games&action=display&thread=7000

MobyGames is probably the only English website that has an extensive database on Chinese RPGs, most of them submitted by the author of the above article, Oleg Roschin. He has also reviewed many of these RPGs, and I'll pick some of my personal favorites below.

Note: the following descriptions contain spoilers. Of course, if you know you will never get the chance to play these games you might as well read them. Images of the games can be found in the links.

Sword of Xuan Yuan III: Beyond Clouds and Mountains (軒轅劍叁:雲和山的彼端)

ebjVh.jpg

3sBF1.jpg

A5HL1.jpg

This is perhaps the best game for Westerners to get into Chinese RPGs...provided that they can read Chinese. The story takes place in 8th century, in Kingdom of Francs. The main character, Septem, is a knight of the court. The story follows him as he travels from Europe to Middle East and finally to China, mostly wrapped around two men's love for a girl and the search for an unattainable wisdom. In the end, the hero gets to fight Satan.

The game is part of the Xuanyuan Jian franchise. Xuanyuan Jian is the oldest Chinese RPG series, with its first game released in 1990. The latest main installment in the series, Han zhi You (Clouds of Han), is based in the era of Three Kingdoms. Dream of Mirror Online, an online spin-off of the franchise, was actually released worldwide.

The Legend of Sword and Fairy (Remake) (新仙劍奇俠傳)

C5bkg.jpg

wZJ7O.jpg

0BMhQ.jpg

This game is a remake of the most popular single Chinese RPG ever made. The original game was released in 1995, and this remake added some new story points, updated graphics and sound, new dungeon layouts, etc. The main theme about this game is love. A young boy accidentally marries a young girl, and the girl turns out to be a descendant of a Chinese Goddess. Near the end of the story, the girl gave birth to their children. In the end of the game, the girl dies. Yep, it's got a very tragic ending. For the remake, fans expected it to have alternative endings where the girl would survive, but there was none.

There is actually a demo of the game in English translated by fans. It's a long way from being complete and I have absolutely no idea how well it will perform on modern PCs, but it's up for grabs from here:

http://english.fairysword.info/project.html

The game is part of the Chinese Paladin series. This particular game was the start of the franchise, and it was actually made into a TV serial a few years ago. The third game in the series is also currently being made into a TV series. The original release of the game was also translated and ported to the Japanese Sega Saturn, the only Chinese RPG to do so. Both this franchise and the Xuanyuan Jian franchise from above are the two most popular RPG franchises in Chinese-speaking regions, and they both are owned by one company: SoftStar.

Heroes of Jin Yong (金庸群俠傳)

1MKBM.png

msCPx.png

580Hm.png

This particular game was released around the same time as the original Legend of Sword and Fairy (1995), but it went on a very different route in terms of its gameplay. It did not have a coherent, deep storyline to speak of, as the game was based on 14 novels written by a very famous Chinese Wuxia (martial art chivalry...a literature genre particular to China) author named Louis Cha (aka Jin Yong). It had a world map devoid of enemies, and the emphasis of the game is to allow the player to play the game however he wants. There are different locations in the world map, each one is based on a location found in the novels, and by going into the different locations the player will initiate events, sometimes battles, all based around snippets of stories found in the original novels.

The game was really unusual for its time, as unlike most of other Chinese RPGs that are based on a linear story and standard RPG fare, Jin Yong actually used a grid-based battle system similar to SRPGs, but much simplified. There was absolutely no random encounters to speak of in the game, and the player was allowed to recruit both bad guys and good guys from the novels. The player could do some bad deeds to decrease his morality, or do good deeds to improve it. Ultimately, who the player fights as the final boss battle depends on whether his in-game morality scale is above 50 or below it.

Heroes of Wulin (武林群俠傳)

4Bz2v.jpg

wharA.jpg

XcXMB.jpg

czCaV.jpg

JyMqj.jpg

And finally, one of my favorite games of all time. Made by the same developer as Jin Yong's, this 2001 game also deviated from standard RPG fair by adding a sims gameplay element to it. People have compared its gameplay with that of Koei's Taikō Risshiden series. Unlike most RPGs released around its time that used 3D model images for their maps, Wulin's maps were entirely hand-drawn. The battle system followed Jin Yong's, but was even more simplified. The emphasis of the game became centered around the sims portion of the gameplay, and the goal of the game was simple: to become the strongest martial artist in China. The game allowed multiple levels of moral choices that would let the game end up in one of 3 major endings, each with its own variations depending on the feats of the player throughout the game.

The player cannot die in this game. If you lose a battle, it becomes part of the storyline, and you would only be injured and have to rest for a few days in sims mode, but the story of the game continues. There are a variety of mini-games that are pretty much forced onto the player, as there is no leveling up in this game, and the player can only enhance his attributes by playing the various mini-games, select training options in sims mode, and by actually participating in battles. Each time the player does any one of these activities his attributes would go up a bit, but there is never a sudden change as a level up.

The biggest draw of the game for me was actually its emphasis on traditional Chinese cultures. There are so much information in the game about a variety of Chinese subjects from herbal medicine to sumi-e art. Not saying that the game is edutainment or something, but I did learn a lot from the game that really helped me to appreciate more of Chinese culture. The game just flows really nicely in balancing the mini-games, RPG mode, and sims mode. If the player gets particularly good with a certain skill (i.e. gardening or hunting), the player can even get a special title. And this title can be different depending on the player's morality in the game.

...And that's that. The Chinese single-player PC market is virtually nonexistent today, with only about 5 games released per year! Even though, SoftStar's two most popular RPG franchises are still getting new releases once in a couple of years, but other, smaller game series are long gone now.

UPDATE:
Just realized the newest Chinese RPG (Gu Jian Qi Tan 古剑奇谭) has been released for digital download...and it's only 10 US dollars through Paypal. Their official site is here: http://gjqt.gamebar.com/. Here's the super deluxe limited edition packaging:

KTallguy

Banned
There was one Chinese RPG that my friend in HS showed me once, 1999 or such.
Battles were very very similar to Final Fantasy 6, except sometimes support characters would come and help.

It was 2D for the battles, and I think 2d for other things too.

I believe it was based on the Monkey King. (Sun Wukong)

I need to learn Chinese so I can play it!

Edit:

Sword of Xuan Yuan III: Beyond Clouds and Mountains

This is it!!! This game was so awesome looking back in the day! Art is really nice!

Edit2: Needs screenshots:

2yobpsw.jpg

15hg6a.jpg

1234iu9.jpg

Great thread btw, but you should DEFINITELY post screens next time.

Had a buddy of mine show me a couple years ago. He said that he didn't dare play some back in China as folks could actually get confrontational IRL over the game stuff.

Fio

This thread is full of win. At least for me.
I'm studying Mandarim Chinese (I started 2 months ago) and I'll surely use these games as resources as soon as I get better in the language.

I didn't read the descriptions of the games (Since you mentioned that there might be spoilers, so if you adressed these questions in the descriptions, you know why I'm asking them).

- How hard are the texts? Will one who can read a novel for teenagers be able to play them?

- Simplified of traditional characters?

- Does any of them have voice acting?

I'd really appreciate if you could reply these questions.

Quixzlizx

Sword of Xuan Yuan III: Beyond Clouds and Mountains
This is perhaps the best game for Westerners to get into Chinese RPGs

...provided that they can read Chinese.

I bet the interest level drop from the beginning of this sentence to the end of it was similar to when Nintendo introduced the Vitality Sensor during E3.

Llyranor

It's really too bad they don't seem to have much to show on the gameplay department. The Wuxia setting would be absolutely fantastic for RPGs if done right.

Yottamole

Banned
Fio said:
This thread is full of win. At least for me.
I'm studying Mandarim Chinese (I started 2 months ago) and I'll surely use these games as resources as soon as I get better in the language.

I didn't read the descriptions of the games (Since you mentioned that there might be spoilers, so if you adressed these questions in the descriptions, you know why I'm asking them).

- How hard are the texts? Will one who can read a novel for teenagers be able to play them?

- Simplified of traditional characters?

- Does any of them have voice acting?

I'd really appreciate if you could reply these questions.
- Most of these games are geared toward teenagers, so that should be fine. However, since the games are set in Ancient China, there are more frequent uses of Chinese proverbs and maybe some obsolete words, but in general they are not hard.

- Depends on where you buy them. If you buy them in Hong Kong or Taiwan, they'd most likely be traditional, and if in mainland China, they are simplified. The simplified versions are generally cheaper than their traditional counterparts. You can also order them online. I think Play-Asia once had some traditional text Chinese RPGs in stock, but I can't find them now. Amazon.cn sells simplified text CRPGs, but you'd have to know Chinese to navigate the site.

- Most of them don't, although many of them feature theme songs with lyrics. The one game that I know that has voice acting is The Twin Heroes II.

KTallguy said:
Great thread btw, but you should DEFINITELY post screens next time.
I wanted to..but Mobygames doesn't allow hotlinks to their images. Maybe I'll add some using tinypic as you did here tomorrow.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Quixzlizx said:
I bet the interest level drop from the beginning of this sentence to the end of it was similar to when Nintendo introduced the Vitality Sensor during E3.
More like FFXIV announcement =P

Returners

OP fails by not mentioning 2 of my favourite CRPGs.

Feng Yun (The storm riders)
and
Zhong Hua Ying Xiong (A man called hero)

oh man I spent so many hours on these RPGs but I've only completed one xiniti tian tu long ji (the new heavenly sword and dragon blade)

good time sinks.

How about Chinese single-player PC RPGs that actually did get US releases? There were a few, Diablo-clone style ones anyway... well, Object Software's Prince of Qin (2002) and Seal of Evil (2004), at least. They went into MMOs after that and those games didn't get US releases (though evidently one of their MMOs is available in parts of Europe, German-only), but their games before that, including the two action-RPGs and two RTSes before that (and a horse racing game), did.

Anyway, I have Seal of Evil's 2006 US release. It's nice, it's got both Chinese and English voice options (with English subtitles either way). Evidently the earlier European release was English-only, and the English speech is awful, but the US one adds in the Chinese as well... it's a fun Diablo-style action-RPG, definitely worth looking into. Plus you don't need to know Chinese. :)

Oh, the graphics are 2d and look pretty nice. It's got some complexity to some aspects of the game so it takes a little getting used to, but is fun and interesting, if you like Diablo at least.

Not many Chinese games get released in the US, but those did.

Returners

A Black Falcon said:
How about Chinese single-player PC RPGs that actually did get US releases? There were a few, Diablo-clone style ones anyway... well, Object Software's Prince of Qin (2002) and Seal of Evil (2004), at least. They went into MMOs after that and those games didn't get US releases (though evidently one of their MMOs is available in parts of Europe, German-only), but their games before that, including the two action-RPGs and two RTSes before that (and a horse racing game), did.

Anyway, I have Seal of Evil's 2006 US release. It's nice, it's got both Chinese and English voice options (with English subtitles either way). Evidently the earlier European release was English-only, and the English speech is awful, but the US one adds in the Chinese as well... it's a fun Diablo-style action-RPG, definitely worth looking into. Plus you don't need to know Chinese. :)

Oh, the graphics are 2d and look pretty nice. It's got some complexity to some aspects of the game so it takes a little getting used to, but is fun and interesting, if you like Diablo at least.

Not many Chinese games get released in the US...

Did you try their previous game Fate of the Dragon? It was published by Eidos but never took off in the states I guess. It's expansion came to US as "Battle of the Red Cliff" published by StrategyFirst IIRC.

Anyway I have Prince of Qin and I felt the weapon making was the only thing that stood out to me, using the five elements. I remember it was trying to have multiple characters (kind of like baldur's gate, which was what threw me off that game) other than that, it was one of the most polished products I've seen. Apparently the English VOs aren't very good (as in laughably bad) I recommend people to check it out.

Also is Seal of Evil the prequel to Prince?

Returners said:
Did you try their previous game Fate of the Dragon? It was published by Eidos but never took off in the states I guess. It's expansion came to US as "Battle of the Red Cliff" published by StrategyFirst IIRC.

No, that's the only Object Software game I have. Their two RTSes (or, the RTS and its expansion, whatever) and Prince of Qin do/did interest me (I like RTSes a lot), but I didn't buy them at the time, and haven't tried to look up their prices online...

Anyway I have Prince of Qin and I felt the weapon making was the only thing that stood out to me, using the five elements. I remember it was trying to have multiple characters (kind of like baldur's gate, which was what threw me off that game) other than that, it was one of the most polished products I've seen. Apparently the English VOs aren't very good (as in laughably bad) I recommend people to check it out.

Also is Seal of Evil the prequel to Prince?

Yes, Seal of Evil is a prequel to Prince of Qin. It's got five party members too, at least several of which are in your active party all the time, as you describe in the previous game. As you say, the elements system is the main complexity, with the five elements to learn several different circles about (which beats which, in circular rock-paper-scissors style patterns, except with five sides). As for voice acting, as I said, the fact that the US version keeps the Chinese voice option works wonders... the English is terrible just like the previous game evidently is. It becomes insufferable within minutes really, it's so bad... if there wasn't a Chinese option, it would get irritating pretty fast, I think. Is the only one of their US games with both language track options?

As for the rest, the music's great, the graphics are nice 2d art, and the story is interesting, so yeah, it's a fun game. I don't know how it compares to the first one, though, or what has been added, as I've only played this one. The first (main) character this time is the female witch Lan Wei, trying to save her East Baiyue people from the invading Qin empire... yeah, good luck with that. Still, good game.

Evenball said:
Isn't legend of wukong from Superfighter team a Chinese RPG?

Taiwanese game, yes.

hteng

Banned
The only really popular Chinese RPG back then was

Feng Yun (風雲, Storm Raiders, Wind and Cloud), based on the popular HK man hwa

and another Chinese RPG based on all of Jin Yong's (金庸) novel, can't remember the name, it was something like Jin Yong's WuXia legend

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If it wasn't for my shitty Chinese reading ability, I'd be willing to track down a copy somewhere and give one a try. You'd have to hope that there's more in China than just crappy Ubisoft games and MMOs.

Srider

Banned
The Legend of Sword and Fairy (Remake)

Fucking shit, I played this game when it first came out.

If only the Japanese can write stories nearly as good....

Asparagus

Very cool thread, I remember going into a VCD shop around 2001/2002 and seeing some Chinese RPGs, they looked like a lot of fun but alas, I can't read or speak a word of the language.

Lucis

仙剑奇侠转 (legend of the sword fairy lol as translated here)
is still one of the BEST RPG i have ever played, story and game play are both awesome

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
These games look pretty cool although sort of sloppy with low production values, almost like an RPG Maker game. I'd be willing to play a few, but I don't know any Chinese whatsoever. I was always interested in the Korean RPG series, the War of Genesis.

Aeana

I'll have to echo the sentiments about Legend of Swordsman and Fairy. That game is really good.
I'd also like to mention the Fantasia Sango games (brought out in Japanese by Falcom as Gensou Sangokushi). They're also quite good.

http://falcom.com/fs/
http://falcom.com/fs2/

djtiesto said:
I was always interested in the Korean RPG series, the War of Genesis.
I love War of Genesis 3, but the earlier games are kind of blah.

Davidion

Great thread! There's a bunch that I used to play but two that really stands out in my mind. It would be great if someone knew about them and can provide more details. I can't remember the names! They're pretty old-school.

- A Romance of the Three Kingdom/Sanguo SRPG in the Advance Wars style. You travelled around chinese cities using a basic navigation map and engage in fight scenarios to advance the plot. The game was a bit problematic since you need to level up your characters properly from the beginning and there's no way to grind/build outside of the main game.

- A waypoints-based RTS called something along the lines of "The Duel". You controlled leaders with their armies around a very basic landscape littered with waypoints. There's no resource management and you only gain armies/troops as plot developments, so you had to make sure you died as little as possible. The game is set in a Medieval/European setting and you're a young knight with Arthurian touches backed by a mage named Merlin. All the names are English phonetically translated into Chinese.

Has anyone ever heard of these? I think I still have the second game on my computer somewhere, will try to take a screenshot later.

Yottamole

Banned
hteng said:
The only really popular Chinese RPG back then was

Feng Yun (風雲, Storm Raiders, Wind and Cloud), based on the popular HK man hwa

and another Chinese RPG based on all of Jin Yong's (金庸) novel, can't remember the name, it was something like Jin Yong's WuXia legend
Yep, 金庸群俠傳 is mentioned in the first post.

Roland said:
Is there a CRPG that isn't based on a wuxia setting?
Like this game?

Aeana said:
I'll have to echo the sentiments about Legend of Swordsman and Fairy. That game is really good.
I'd also like to mention the Fantasia Sango games (brought out in Japanese by Falcom as Gensou Sangokushi). They're also quite good.

http://falcom.com/fs/
http://falcom.com/fs2/
Ha, yeah I seem to remember seeing those two in Japanese. The maker of the Fantasia Sango games (the series is in its 4th installment currently, BTW) and SoftStar seem to be the only Chinese language-based developers that still produce single player games.

Are there of of these rpgs with Fan translated english patch or any of English translation for that matter other than the one mentioned above by Black Falcon.

flintstryker said:
Are there of of these rpgs with Fan translated english patch or any of English translation for that matter other than the one mentioned above by Black Falcon.

The aforementioned Legend of Wukong from Super Fighter Team, as well as their earlier title Beggar Prince, are the only two I know of... they're both Genesis games of course, released in the past few years. They're very traditional console-style RPGs though, and aren't cheap at nearly $50, but for fans of the platform or that era of the genre, perhaps it'd be worth it.

I don't know of anything else though. It'd be interesting to know if there is anything...

Yottamole

Banned
flintstryker said:
The Legend of Sword and Fairy (Remake) (新仙劍奇俠傳)

There is actually a demo of the game in English translated by fans. It's a long way from being complete and I have absolutely no idea how well it will perform on modern PCs, but it's up for grabs from here:
http://www.lsfgame.net/blog/
http://english.fairysword.info/project.html (screenshots)

KTallguy

Banned
Thanks for the screens :)

Man, seriously though, I need to learn Chinese.
These stories have so much more potential than most JRPG plots.

Chromax

I loved this one...but could never find it again. (lost my copy...)

Can't find a screenshot of battle screen.

tuntown_006.png

1110305402_7.png

20075123151771965.jpg

1_2007-4-16-3-04-01578.jpg

Can any gaffer in China track a copy down and sell it to me? :D

Yottamole

Banned
Chromax said:
I loved this one...but could never find it again. (lost my copy...)

Can't find a screenshot of battle screen.

Can any gaffer in China track a copy down and sell it to me? :D
I think that's 阿貓阿狗. Dunno where to find one though, but I know they sell the sequel on Amazon China and Dang Dang Net. Both sites take Visa and Mastercard (I think) and ship internationally. Beware that the shipping may take a long time...I once ordered some games off Dang Dang Net and received the package several months later.

There really is nothing new for the Chinese gaming market (single player-wise). I've just stumbled across this Amazon page for Chinese Paladin 4 (仙劍奇俠傳四). It's a deluxe repackage of a 2007 game that includes a model, some cards, a flash drive, a T-shirt, a plush toy, and some random stuff. The original price of the game upon its release in 2007 was 69 Yuan (~$10US), the normal price for a Chinese game, while this deluxe edition is 599 Yuan (~$85US), and is being sold in 2009.

Ulairi

Banned
KTallguy said:
Thanks for the screens :)

Man, seriously though, I need to learn Chinese.
These stories have so much more potential than most JRPG plots.

Have you read the 4 great chinese novels? There is a lot to China that would make great RPGs. I've studied Chinese for 3 years, including a semester in Beijing and being to Taiwan 6 times (with my wife). It takes a lot of time to really be able to play a deep chinese game.

Deeku

Chromax said:

This makes me laugh for some reason..." I am taking a walk":lol
Cool thread though, never realised these games were worth checking out. I always assumed they were crappy knock offs.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I wonder if Ican play one chinese game that will help to improve myChinese, nowis very simple but maybe one of those can help

mike0513

Banned
I'm pretty sure the NES final fantasy VII 'remake' was made in China. It's pretty impressive if you haven't seen it already. It manages to stay relatively close to the original game story/scenarios.

Yottamole

Banned
mike0513 said:
I'm pretty sure the NES final fantasy VII 'remake' was made in China. It's pretty impressive if you haven't seen it already. It manages to stay relatively close to the original game story/scenarios.
They also made Golden Sun NES, Final Fantasy X NES, and even The Legend of Sword and Fairy NES...Very random. :lol

Anyway, the recent announcement of RIZ-ZOAWD coming to America actually reminded me of a really obscure Chinese RPG that's also based on Wizard of Oz. Sadly, I couldn't find any picture of the game on the Internet, save for the very tiny images found on this site: http://www.togame.net/Article/2005/200510/17465.html

And images from this magazine (I know that I shouldn't post scans, but this is just a webcam picture of a Chinese magazine from 2001, so I hope it's OK):

wizardofoz.jpg

I've never played this game, but supposedly it tries to make the story darker and edgier than the original book. Kind of like American McGee's Alice, but not as extreme.

Oh hey, my cousin had one of those games! I saw it back in 1999. It was damn gorgeous looking game back then with great art and music.

xuchuburgers.jpg

Ok, I cheated, this is actually a Japanese RPG translated into Chinese translated into English. That's not the actual dialog, just the translators having some fun with it.

I'm currently playing Breath of Fire 4, and although it's made by Capcom, from what I understand the Fou Empire in the game has alot of Chinese influences.

Yottamole

Banned
So it seems that not only does the online version of Xuan Yuan Jian (軒轅劍) is available in the West, another online Chinese MMORPG called Dragon Oath is also in its "Pre-Closed Beta" stage for a Western audience.

Dragon Oath is based on the Wuxia novel Demi-Gods and Semi Devils (天龍八部) written by Louis Cha. The novel itself is really good, and if Louis Cha is the Chinese version of J. R. R. Tolkien, this novel would be his Lord of the Rings. Still, I don't know how much the game has captured the spirit of the original novel...I don't really play MMORPGs, and from the snippets that I've played of this game, it's pretty much another generic MMORPG with a Chinese fantasy setting.

Most Chinese MMORPGs lack the depth and coherence of Western MMORPGs and even Chinese single-player RPGs, but as how the gaming industry is in China, that's how it is now...

billy.sea

Banned
I am Chinese, but why do all Chinese-made RPG have to be martial arts related?
It's not like all Western RPG are cowboys or Japanese RPG full of Ninja.

Top Bottom