• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power |OT| - Nightclub/Drug Drama from 50 Cent on Starz - Saturdays 9PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
b892362b59b8704c718fc2c75ebbcdf5.jpg

Crime + Drama = At least a three episode watch for me.

I've got "What one man can have all these Emmys" cued up for next award season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Thanks for throwing this up. Good work on the thread.

I watch everything Starz puts out, so I'll definitely give this a shot, but my expectations aren't very high.

Reposting my impressions on pilot episode from Summer TV Show thread.
Watched Power pilot. I liked it. I was expecting that it would be bad and cliched, but in reality it was good. Not good-good, but good show to watch in the summer and enjoy it.
Some interesting stuff that i liked. Quality wise it's pretty close to Black Sails. I'm in.

Reviews

NY Daily News said:
Much of the real beauty of “Power” lies in the details, conversational and visual.
EW said:
The volatile combo of elements leads to occasionally sloppy storytelling, but the cast--particularly the icy Hardwick and the oft-nude Naughton--makes it a deeply bingeable guilty pleasure.
CinemaBlend said:
The first three episodes of Power's 8-episode first season do a fine job of bringing us into the story and building steady momentum with each installment.
Power's introduction shows a lot of promise in its potential to be a well developed and worth-watching TV drama, and also another great direction for Starz. Time will tell as to whether or not Power will achieve the kind of consistency in its writing to meet the high standard set by other antihero-focused TV dramas that came before it. In the meantime, the first few episodes certainly offer a compelling enough introduction to leave us wanting to see how the rest of this season plays out. 3.5/5 stars.
Variety said:
Mostly, this is undemanding escapism with all the requisite pay-TV trappings, along the lines of what Cinemax is offering in episodic form.
Newsday said:
The opening episode -- already posted online -- is a bit sluggish, but "Power" gets better in subsequent episodes. Starz, and Fitty, appear to have a winner.

Series premiere tomorrow
Not Exactly How We Planned
New York City nightclub owner James "Ghost" St. Patrick encounters a former flame and faces a threat from his secret dealings in the drug world.

More reviews

New York Times said:
While the series is not exactly imaginative or subtle (stretch limos, Chivas Regal, call girls), it’s surprisingly enjoyable.
Holywood Reporter said:
Power is a paint-by-numbers effort when Starz could really do itself a favor by putting a masterpiece in the market.

I watched the advance premiere. DO NOT BELIEVE the IGN review the Pilot left me wanting more. I give it a solid 8. There's serious potential here.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiere Ratings For Starz’s ‘Power’ Down From ‘Black Sails’, On Par With ‘The White Queen’

Starz‘s latest original drama series, Power, premiered on Saturday with 462,000 Live+same day at 9 PM, 1.27 million for the three Saturday night airings and 2.022 million for the nine weekend runs on Saturday and Sunday. Power’s multiplatform sampling from the week-long on-demand and online sampling campaign, which yielded an additional 480,000 viewers, the total viewership for the first episode has climbed up to 2.6 million to date.

That was down from Starz’s most recent debut, pirate drama Black Sails, which launched in January with 846,000; 1.7 million and 2.6 million, respectively; and roughly on par with last August’s opening of limited series The White Queen (416,000 for the premiere airing; 2.1 million for premiere weekend). Before The White Queen, Starz’s original series launched on Friday, not Saturday, making direct comparisons trickier.

Additionally, the premiere has logged Starz’s youngest demos since Spartacus: War Of The Damned and an evenly balanced gender split (45% Women 18+, 48% Men 18+), which is rare for the male skewing pay cable network.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 1: 462K
Episode 2: 614K
Episode 3: 472K
Episode 4: 557K
Episode 5: 528K
Episode 6: 745K
Episode 7: 754K

Gila

I don't understand some of the drug plotlines:

1) Who was the chick with the red heels that was chasing the guy in the parking lot, then was told to go back to Miami? Was she coming for revenge for the other girl that got cut in the face and is in the hospital now?

2) Who do Ghost and Tommy want to potentially go to war with? (If it comes to that)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Finally got around to watching the pilot. I thought it was pretty decent. A little cliched, but it's only the first episode.

Other thoughts:

The opening credits are sort of uninspired. The 50 Cent song is decent though.

Sherlock/House of Cards' method of showing texts on screen is so elegant and modern. I'm glad to see other shows following in their footsteps in that regard.

Attractive naked people. Thank you based Starz.

The constant "Say something in Spanish and then say the exact same thing in English immediately after" thing is really annoying. I don't think people actually do that in real life.

Hopefully future episodes will be devoid of those repetitive club scenes. They're the sort of thing that's needed in a pilot to establish the atmosphere, but will quickly grow tiresome if they continue.

Tasha is one of the most attractive women on TV. I love her weird claw hands :3

Motherfuckermotherfuckermotherfuckerogodiamdrowninginthem

I can't tell is Ghost is a good lead or not, yet. He's not as instantly compelling as Kelsey Grammer in Boss, nor is he as bland and uncharismatic as Jeffrey Dean Morgan in Magic City. I guess time will tell.

Speaking of Magic City, Power bares a striking resemblance to it - The leads have similar goals (one runs a nightclub, one runs a hotel), they've got attractive wives (both insecure and jealous), savvy women from their pasts (that may threaten their businesses and marriages), shady right hand men whom they've know since childhood, etc. - at least superficially.

I don't understand some of the drug plotlines:

1) Who was the chick with the red heels that was chasing the guy in the parking lot, then was told to go back to Miami? Was she coming for revenge for the other girl that got cut in the face and is in the hospital now?

2) Who do Ghost and Tommy want to potentially go to war with? (If it comes to that)
1) You mean the girl in pink sneakers? She's one of the hitmen sent to kill that girl in the elevator in the end of the first episode. Girt that got cut in the face was attacked by pink sneakers girl and other guy. She shot the guy, but girl in sneakers escaped and then targeted other dealer.
2) With whoever is targeting their dealers.
Finally got around to watching the pilot. I thought it was pretty decent. A little cliched, but it's only the first episode.
Second episode was solid too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The second episode was a step down from the first. It honestly barely held my attention. I just don't really care about anything that's going on. The lawyer woman's plotline in particular is dull and I don't care about her relationship with Ghost (nor do I really care about Ghost, tbh). And the wife desperately needs a storyline of her own. Running about acting jealous and suspicious, all the while flirting with the driver just isn't compelling television. It would be far more interesting if she became a participant in the business - whether it be running the club or something related to the drug running - she needs to join the fray asap.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn this show is getting in a groove
I enjoy the music that gets put in perfectly with whats going on

Goddamn at the last 2 minutes of Episode 104
That music and sequence, worked really fucking well

The ending credits song was awesome too

Also Tommy's is always good when he is on screen, I'm already tired of Ghost's bullshit, but Tommy, he is fun to watch
Him and that redhead sequence, gave me a chubby with the fucking quickness >.>;

I saved 3 episodes for a back to back marathon, really fell in love with the setting, characters, Episode 4 really started to ramp up the fun in every fucking way possible

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Finally just got around to watching the third episode. It was the first one to hold my attention all the way through. Hopefully things keep picking up in the coming episodes.

Also,

50 Cent is 39 and the guy who plays his son is 29. And I don't buy for one second that fiddy is old enough to be that dude's father and Ghost/Tommy's mentor. They really should have cast someone older in the role.

There's no way she would be able to sign her name that neatly on one of those shitty touchpad thingies.

Watched a bit of the pilot but couldn't hang in there. Reminds me too much of Magic City's dullness.

It's basically the same type of show as Magic City and around the same level of quality as well. So.

It's basically the same type of show as Magic City and around the same level of quality as well. So.

You don't say. I enjoyed Magic City for what it was despite all of its many shortcomings, it was a nice and short 2 season romp.

I think I'll pick this one up too, too bad there's a lack of interest on GAF for this show, I wouldn't have known about it if you didn't bump up the thread.

Finally just got around to watching the third episode. It was the first one to hold my attention all the way through. Hopefully things keep picking up in the coming episodes.

Also,

50 Cent is 39 and the guy who plays his son is 29. And I don't buy for one second that fiddy is old enough to be that dude's father and Ghost/Tommy's mentor. They really should have cast someone older in the role.
For real. I just started laughing, and not because the show was intentionally trying to be funny.

Power is quite a bit better than Tyrant. Why did you have high hopes for it though?
you can answer in the Power thread if you want

I'm not sure it is. The last few episodes haven't been great, the focus on Ghost and his past love have really dragged the show down and the main plot (the killings to instigate a gang war) is moving far too slow.

Tommy and his thieving girlfriend is just...what. I think the story with Tasha and Fiddy's son (which is beyond ridiculous. Should have said he was his brother) has potential though, hoping that pays off.

As for why I had high hopes for this. I really can't place it specifically, something about the premise, the line up of actors, the setting, it all seemed like it was going to come together and it did for the first couple of episodes, but it's being dragged down by the Ghost/Angela sub plot.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not sure it is. The last few episodes haven't been great, the focus on Ghost and his past love have really dragged the show down and the main plot (the killings to instigate a gang war) is moving far too slow.

Well, I don't think Power is a great show, but at least it's not as flavorless and dull as Tyrant. And unlike Tyrant, I think Power has an identity and the potential to improve next year.

Tommy and his thieving girlfriend is just...what. I think the story with Tasha and Fiddy's son (which is beyond ridiculous. Should have said he was his brother) has potential though, hoping that pays off.

The Tommy and his gf storyline is really dumb (plus both are really bad actors, especially Tommy), but at least we get some good sex scenes out of it. :p

I do look forward to them incorporating Tasha into the rest of the show though - her fringe storyline just hasn't been very compelling. I wish she would get a job at the club or something, maybe taking over for Ghost while he's off doing drug bizniz stuff.

As for why I had high hopes for this. I really can't place it specifically, something about the premise, the line up of actors, the setting, it all seemed like it was going to come together and it did for the first couple of episodes, but it's being dragged down by the Ghost/Angela sub plot.

I figured it'd be about on par with the rest of Starz' non-genre lineup and so far it's lived up to those expectations.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Episode 6:

It's a big problem when the main character is the least interesting person on the show. Are we supposed to be rooting for Ghost and Angela to be together? Because I'm not and it's a huge drag when their scenes comprise half of any given episode.

BadAss2961

Episode 6:

It's a big problem when the main character is the least interesting person on the show. Are we supposed to be rooting for Ghost and Angela to be together? Because I'm not and it's a huge drag when their scenes comprise half of any given episode.
It's up to you whether you're Team Tasha, Team Angie, or neither. I like Ghost and enjoy this part of the show. It's pretty much the centerpiece of this season's story.

But yeah, this show needs more love. Very fun crime drama. If The Wire is GTA, this is it's little Saints Row counterpart.

Forgot there was an OT for this

Enjoying the show except for the Ghost/Angela stuff. Quite boring and I don't really see how it betters the story they're trying to tell. I mean clearly Angela is about to catch wind of at least what Tommy is up to and will eventually find out about ghost but I'm not even looking forward to that conflict because both characters are fairly boring

BadAss2961

Why? He's a boring asshole who neglects his businesses and his family so he can fuck around with Angela.
And i'm interested in how all that ends for him. And what happens when he realizes he's had his eye off the ball this whole time for a detective that happens to be investigating his operation. Vice versa with Angie. The suspense of them getting calls about the same thing at the same time, and Angie getting closer and closer to the truth has been fun for me. The show is mostly built around this angle.

Ghost might be boring to some, but the show's trying to make it clear that he's not himself right now because of the Angie situation.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And i'm interested in how all that ends for him. And what happens when he realizes he's had his eye off the ball this whole time for a detective that happens to be investigating his operation. Vice versa with Angie. The suspense of them getting calls about the same thing at the same time, and Angie getting closer and closer to the truth has been fun for me. The show is mostly built around this angle.

Ghost might be boring to some, but the show's trying to make it clear that he's not himself right now because of the Angie situation.

I mean, I'm looking forward to all of that coming to a head too, and I'm sure things will get interesting when it does finally happen, but I feel like they could have made their storyline interesting in the meantime.

BadAss2961

I mean, I'm looking forward to all of that coming to a head too, and I'm sure things will get interesting when it does finally happen, but I feel like they could have made their storyline interesting in the meantime.
You check episode 7 yet? Things pick up.

Dabanton

I see Courtney Kemp Agboh has taken some elements of The Good Wife. The will they,won't they main romance. ala Will and Alicia. The Bishop drug storylines which were always a highlight whenever he popped up on TGW. It also hasn't made the mistake that these shows usually make by keeping everything glamorous Ghost having a upmarket nightclub means, no ghetto locations here. Everyone is attractive I don't think I've seen more than 3 fat people while watching this Oh and a racially mixed cast.

Interestingly the show seems geared to females quite a lot. Even the sex scenes which are very glossy. My SO certainly enjoyed it.

Happy to hear it's already been renewed means I can watch it with piece of mind that it will be coming back.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So yeah, episode 7 was pretty good. Tasha finally found out about Angela and Fiddy made his (extremely obvious) move. Interested to see how things pan out in the finale.

BadAss2961

I figured Rolla wasn't the guy, especially once Ghost talked to him. But I actually didn't see 50 coming. In the end, I guess it was pretty obvious.

The slowmo scene with that Schoolboy Q song was pretty cool too.

Just one episode left. I'm gonna miss this having this show around.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I figured Rolla wasn't the guy, especially once Ghost talked to him. But I actually didn't see 50 coming. In the end, I guess it was pretty obvious.

The slowmo scene with that Schoolboy Q song was pretty cool too.

I figured something was up with 50 when his son visited him in prison while wearing that suit and he advised him to take initiative with Ghost. It felt like foreshadowing.

Was that the one at the end where Ghost and Tasha are un/dressing? Then yeah, that was pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom