• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
eznark said:
Sadly, I can't disagree with you. Hopefully Trevor Hoffman isn't completely washed up, however I definitely question the sanity of a GM who wants to pay big bucks for a closer when there are so many other holes. (YEAH! GOTCHA CINCINNATI!!)

Oh, and I am on record predicting a 74 win season as of today, Hoffman adds a win so if they sign him 75.

Um, how are we any worse than the 2007 squad that won 83 games, or the 2005 team that won 81 games? Ben Sheets and Cordero are the only notable subtractions, and while they are big subtractions, I would argue that we're either the same or upgraded at every single position player. Not to mention that Gallardo pretty much subs in for Sheets and, if signed, Hoffman would take the sting out of Cordero's loss. Coco is better obviously, but I think Hoffman will bounce back a bit (his peripherals were rather good last year). Also remember that the offseason isn't over. Plenty of time to make moves.

I will make any sort of bet that the Brewers win at least 81 games next year.

Zep

Banned
SportsConnect Live GameCast
Using SportsConnect technology, users can view the status of any game in progress in The Show. New for MLB 09, along with a 2D user interface representation, users can hear the play-by-play and color commentary of the announcers.

:O

Fatalah

Zep said:
Using SportsConnect technology, users can view the status of any game in progress in The Show. New for MLB 09, along with a 2D user interface representation, users can hear the play-by-play and color commentary of the announcers.

No, stop it. 2KSPORTS, YOU SUCK!

Sanjuro

Zep said:

eamuiu.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Zep said:

Fucking awesome. They keep making me feel better for spending $400 just to play one game. I think it was worth it too.

I literally CAN'T WAIT for this game to come out so I can go 162-0 on you guys... or 81-0 and 81-0... Two 81-game seasons are probably best because no way everyone will play a full 162 game season.

Zep

Banned
Windu said:
Fucking awesome. They keep making me feel better for spending $400 just to play one game. I think it was worth it too.

I think so...

And Franklin, its not happening. Good luck having a 15-20gm under .500 team finishing. Honestly, it'll probably be 35-50 game league. Who knows, depends on the schedule options they give you. Last years blew dick.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
I literally CAN'T WAIT for this game to come out so I can go 162-0 on you guys... or 81-0 and 81-0... Two 81-game seasons are probably best because no way everyone will play a full 162 game season.
You can get guaranteed wins against me. I enjoy playing the sports games and take my loses with dignity. NHL is the only one I'm decent at anymore.

I'll rape you fuckers in Tecmo Baseball and Baseball Stars.

Zep said:
I think so...

And Frankman, its not happening. Good luck having a 15-20gm under .500 team finishing. Honestly, it'll probably be 35-50 game league. Who knows, depends on the schedule options they give you. Last years blew dick.
I loved it when the games in the 80s did 81 game schedules... don't understand why we are still in the dark ages w/ online game stuff (GODDAMN EA!).

Zep

Banned

"Jason Giambi's Oakland homecoming is a done deal, only a physical away from becoming official.

Tying a bow around day-long reports that the free-agent first baseman and the A's were nearing an agreement, the New York Post reported Tuesday night that the two have signed off on a one-year contract with a 2010 club option.

Giambi is scheduled to undergo the physical on Wednesday, the last step before the reunion becomes official.

Confirming details reported earlier, the Post pegged Giambi's 2009 salary at $3.5 million, with the $5 million option for next season carrying a $1 million buyout."

jman2050

Zep said:

"Jason Giambi's Oakland homecoming is a done deal, only a physical away from becoming official.

Tying a bow around day-long reports that the free-agent first baseman and the A's were nearing an agreement, the New York Post reported Tuesday night that the two have signed off on a one-year contract with a 2010 club option.

Giambi is scheduled to undergo the physical on Wednesday, the last step before the reunion becomes official.

Confirming details reported earlier, the Post pegged Giambi's 2009 salary at $3.5 million, with the $5 million option for next season carrying a $1 million buyout."

3.5 million?

Holy shit talk about a STEAL.

clemenx

Banned
What a shocker, MLB salaries coming back to reality! Good deal for Oakland.

And DAMN i need to rob a bank or something, i really need a PS3 =( Oh well i'll enjoy the PSP version :lol =(

CHRP718

Banned
Zep said:

o_O
O_O
bows to Sony San Diego :D

Windu

3.5 million?! niicceee. Now Oakland has more than enough money left to supply Jason with enough Magic Pills to get him another MVP award.

bluemax

Banned
Fatalah said:
Give us the Giants and Dodgers back!

Note: Baltimore is not allowed to have the Yankees back.

That wouldn't really solve the problem. California has enough money to support all its teams and New York has enough money to support more than the 2 it has now.

I saw a proposal about this and it was one of the better solutions to the whole Yankees spending crazy issues out there.

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
Um, how are we any worse than the 2007 squad that won 83 games, or the 2005 team that won 81 games? Ben Sheets and Cordero are the only notable subtractions, and while they are big subtractions, I would argue that we're either the same or upgraded at every single position player. Not to mention that Gallardo pretty much subs in for Sheets and, if signed, Hoffman would take the sting out of Cordero's loss. Coco is better obviously, but I think Hoffman will bounce back a bit (his peripherals were rather good last year). Also remember that the offseason isn't over. Plenty of time to make moves.

I will make any sort of bet that the Brewers win at least 81 games next year.

You're right, the offseason isn't over, which is why I said "as of now" they are a 74 win team. Even conceding a point that I don't buy (that the Brewers are same/upgraded at every position...3B and 2B, Weeks was actually productive in 07) the division is much stronger that it was in 07, and especially more so than it was in 05.

xelv

So is The Show really that much better than the 2K games? I just can't justify spending $400 just for that game, even though baseball games are the best.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
xelv said:
So is The Show really that much better than the 2K games? I just can't justify spending $400 just for that game, even though baseball games are the best.
Yes. The 2K games are shit. The Show is fantastic. It isn't worth $400 though.

Fatalah

xelv said:

2Ksports screwed over every non-PS3 owner that loves good baseball games when they bought the MLB license. For the last 4 years or so, we've been subjected to utter crap. There was some hope for a time though--- 2K hired MVP talent Ben Brinkman to be the franchise's producer. He instituted his "3 year plan" that turned EA's Triple Play series into the fantastic MVP Baseball. Unfortunately, the game's engine is circa 2002, and Kush wasn't talented enough to resurrect the series.

So this year, Kush has been disbanded, and 2K has moved the MLB project to Visual Concepts. Additionally, Ben Brinkman was unwilling to relocate his family to work with VC, so he's moved on to Activision.

XBOX360 owners have had nothing to play. The only good thing 2Ksports has pumped out is The Bigs-- an arcade-styled game that's wonderfully fun. The developer of The Bigs was "Blue Castle Games", a new company in Vancouver packed with former MVP Baseball staff. They built the engine from the ground up for next-gen hardware.

Why couldn't this have been done for 2Ksports' flagship MLB franchise? No idea.

But Visual Concepts has a ton of talent, as evident with the NBA2K franchise. I also hear they've got a ton of idle resources to put on the MLB project since they've canceled other games (NHL?, College Football?).

So that's everything you need to know about the state of baseball on the 360. Oh yeah, another cool baseball game 2Ksports has given us is "Power Pros". An RPG-ish, very fun cartoony baseball game. Also, Blue Castle's pumping out "Front Office Manager", which puts you in the role of GM.

RBH

I'm an Xbox 360 only owner that's currently stuck with the MLB 2K games. :(

Thankfully, my roommate's looking to get a PS3 soon, so I'll just leech off him to play The Show. :)

Sanjuro

Fatalah said:
2Ksports screwed over every non-PS3 owner that loves good baseball games when they bought the MLB license. For the last 4 years or so, we've been subjected to utter crap. There was some hope for a time though--- 2K hired MVP talent Ben Brinkman to be the franchise's producer. He instituted his "3 year plan" that turned EA's Triple Play series into the fantastic MVP Baseball. Unfortunately, the game's engine is circa 2002, and Kush wasn't talented enough to resurrect the series.

So this year, Kush has been disbanded, and 2K has moved the MLB project to Visual Concepts. Additionally, Ben Brinkman was unwilling to relocate his family to work with VC, so he's moved on to Activision.

XBOX360 owners have had nothing to play. The only good thing 2Ksports has pumped out is The Bigs-- an arcade-styled game that's wonderfully fun. The developer of The Bigs was "Blue Castle Games", a new company in Vancouver packed with former MVP Baseball staff. They built the engine from the ground up for next-gen hardware.

But Visual Concepts has a ton of talent, as evident with the NBA2K franchise. I also hear they've got a ton of idle resources to put on the MLB project since they've canceled other games (NHL?, College Football?).

So that's everything you need to know about the state of baseball on the 360. Oh yeah, another cool baseball game 2Ksports has given us is "Power Pros". An RPG-ish, very fun cartoony baseball game. Also, Blue Castle's pumping out "Front Office Manager", which puts you in the role of GM.
I hope 2k gets better. The only reason they did that move was to counter EA's NFL stranglehold which is a bigger shame IMO as it has killed my interest for virtual football.

EA NHL > Sony's MLB >>>>> NBA2k >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Madden.

Only other second brand to come close was Live last season, and they dropped the ball this current one.

xelv

Dr. Strangelove said:
Everyone seems to agree that The Show is a great game. I haven't played a great one since the MVP game with the Manny cover. To think I put up with so many years with the shitty All-Star Baseball/Triple Play combo. Things have changed since the MVP games definitely.

Fatalah said:

I have very fond geeky memories of the MVP series. I bought the NCAA game but I just couldn't get into it very much. I bought MLB 2k7 thinking it had to have good things. The gamestop guy convinced me, and my baseball soul was weak, so I went ahead and bought it. I must say I enjoyed it at times. I enjoyed some games, but the feeling just wasn't the same in every game. I was being too much of a hit a home run/strike out kind of guy with that game, and I couldn't control it. I couldn't get a fucking bunt down, and it sucked. I couldn't drive runers from second to third easily, because the runner was too slow. The fielding was slow and fielders would sometimes NOT move as you wanted them to. (How many double plays did I miss because Pedroia couldn't get the ball to second sooner, dammit.)I couldn't steal bases because that was hard as hell. I had to win with power, and that became boring. There was no strategy, unlike the MVP game. I must admit the pitching interface was pretty good, but with time it got too easy to paint pitches on the black. Nevertheless, it was too annoying when guys like Beckett , Schilling and Papelbon got destroyed in the hardest difficulty. Fuck I know enough about baseball , and it frustrated me when every guy was freakin' Arod extending his arms and hitting every pitch on the corner to the deepest parts of the stadium. So I stopped playing it, hoping for a baseball game I could proudly insert into my xbox and enjoy.

I haven't tried any other game,but I feel I'm not enough of stats or arcade guy to enjoy the other offerings. I hear it from you, baseball fans, that The Show is definitely the best available. I'll look into that. Maybe if I sell my xbox, oh well. Thanks for your passion describing the baseball video game state, Fatalah!

Mrbob

Dr. Strangelove said:

Disagree with you sir.

If I can put a couple hundred hours into a single game every year like I do with MLB, it is worth the cash. We've all wasted money on games which only last 5 to 8 hours.

Depends on how much you want a great baseball game to play.

Windu

Right-hander John Patterson, best known for his years with the Nationals, announced on Wednesday that he is retiring from the game of baseball because of persistent pain in right forearm.

Patterson, 30, has had forearm problems dating back to the 2006 season, but two surgeries failed to fix the problem.

"I started throwing about a month ago and it hasn't been going well," Patterson said by telephone. "I have my good days and I have my bad days. So I decided to not play any more. I'm going to retire."
offensives around the league will miss you. /salute

edit: Operation Sports named MLB 08: The Show their baseball game of the year (shocking). The Reader's Choice was no different: MLB 08: The Show (86.07%), Major League Baseball 2K8 (6.56%), Out of the Park Baseball 9 (3.55%)

eznark

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:

Wait one day after release. If the netcode and voice are fixed, the game and blu ray is worth $400.

Windu

So Citi is actually bigger than Shea? Damn. That is going to be a nice park for pitchers.

LJ11

CajoleJuice said:
i saw that loser

Was he still sulking? I like Garry, but his fandom comes through at times, especially when the Mets are down. You can hear the frustration/anger in his voice.

LJ11 said:
Was he still sulking? I like Garry, but his fandom comes through at times, especially when the Mets are down. You can hear the frustration/anger in his voice.
haha nah, I meant Kev. he doesn't like pitchers' parks

Until I see wind patterns this means nothing. Shea's famous swirling winds/humidity in spring/summer on days have turned it into Wrigley field w/ wind blowing out. I agree it'll be a little better pitching park due to the higher walls, but that's it.

Also WTF in left? That's why they got rid of Endy, he can't steal anymore home runs!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
CajoleJuice said:
haha nah, I meant Kev. he doesn't like pitchers' parks
jesus christ, i can't get anything past you

pitchers parks are boring and stupid

real pitchers succeed in hitters parks

like pedro

The Frankman said:
Until I see wind patterns this means nothing. Shea's famous swirling winds/humidity in spring/summer on days have turned it into Wrigley field w/ wind blowing out. I agree it'll be a little better pitching park due to the higher walls, but that's it.
And bigger actual dimensions. Did you look at that diagram?

eznark

Banned
Brewers tried to build Miller Park to be a triples/double park and it did not work out. Other teams have tried to structure their parks to certain criteria as well and to date I think only the Padres were really successful (PETCO designed specifically for Peavy).

Citi Field is designed to be good for lefties if they made left field different.

Santana is going to be golden there, as long as his arm doesn't explode or something.

The Frankman said:
Wrigley is like 359 down the right left line. It's still a terrific hitters' park. Wind negates everything.

vlcsnap-2624623.jpg
:lol

I can't imagine it being much different from Shea (you said the winds turned it into Wrigley sometimes, sometimes it would keep monster bombs in the ballpark), but yeah, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom