• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Responds to Recent Feedback on Destiny 2

Most of my issues with the game stem from the god awful token system and the endless amount of repeated gear they give. Iron banner has been a massive disappointment because of it, 15 packages later and only 1 piece of armor for my hunter but damn if they didnt give me the same gun 7 times its honestly what has made me stop playing the game and probably wont go back unless they make some huge changes for the first expansion.

Ironically the low drop rate and design was meant to replace god roll type things as a way to keep players engaged. If they can get the full set of armor from 10-15 packages, then likely many would stop playing it, and have nothing to do in Destiny 2. All of these things are basically triage, to keep players invested.

I feel that PC crowd will be lucky if stuff like raid and its difficulties are staggered even by few weeks, like they are for consoles. I expect to see Trials on PC, on PC release week and so on.

Will Bungie even do proper marketing push for PC version or just slip it out?
Lucky? Who actually wants staggered content? I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's not exactly something we should be happy about if it exists, and unhappy if it doesn't exist.

Let people do vanilla content at their own pace.

Oh, they're coming. I imagine a lot of stuff will come with a big "Update", so likely another event, and then Eververse update. They probably didn't want to bring too much stuff to Eververse too early to avoid potential blowback.

Wont be surprised if that happens honestly.

We never got that free content as adversited, well the sparrow racing thing counts I guess.

Tovarisc

Most of my issues with the game stem from the god awful token system and the endless amount of repeated gear they give. Iron banner has been a massive disappointment because of it, 15 packages later and only 1 piece of armor for my hunter but damn if they didnt give me the same gun 7 times its honestly what has made me stop playing the game and probably wont go back unless they make some huge changes for the first expansion.

RNG Boxes with actually wanted gear (armor for maximum fashion options) seriously weighted down in odds. Fun, isn't it?

I guess Bungie couldn't come up with any other way to reasonably extend lifespan of available and arguably thin end game content.

Lucky? Who actually wants staggered content? I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's not exactly something we should be happy about if it exists, and unhappy if it doesn't exist.

Let people do vanilla content at their own pace.

I was referring to his want of real launch and for some that stagger can be real part of it. Also some do get feeling of being pressured of minmax in 3 days to PL9000 so he is Prestige Raid ready on 1st week if it's available right away. Staggering removes a lot of that.

molnizzle

Weekly update, same as it ever was.

"We're listening."
"Continue the conversation."

...actual meaningful updates coming to you in 3 months, maybe. As paid DLC.

Ah well. At least I'll have time to play other games after I knock out my raids each week.

KaKaRi

Super dissapointed in D2. I had high hopes and was convinced they are holding back on us when they revealled the game.

After playing for a few weeks, there is nothing to grind for and dont see the use of doing activities that arent rewarding. Love the franchise and enjoy the gameplay alot. But with its current state, it wont be my main game anymore (might still play once in while) and hope bungie really brings back the end game drive to grind.

If Bungie is reading this... stop the f**king token ecosystem. This stupid slot machine is killing the main vendors and even worse your live events like the faction war and Iron Banner. Give us some control on what we want to spend our earnings on.

Im really missing the depth of D1 in terms of different weapon rolls, weekly gunsmith weapons, exotic quests that took weeks to complete, rewarding NF/raid, collecting fragments and many more...

One last thing... please add new guardian classes and enemy races to the game... you cant expect players to use the same classes and killing the same enemies for another 3 years or so.

Super dissapointed in D2. I had high hopes and was convinced they are holding back on us when they revealled the game.

After playing for a few weeks, there is nothing to grind for and dont see the use of doing activities that arent rewarding. Love the franchise and enjoy the gameplay alot. But with its current state, it wont be my main game anymore (might still play once in while) and hope bungie really brings back the end game drive to grind.

If Bungie is reading this... stop the f**king token ecosystem. This stupid slot machine is killing the main vendors and even worse your live events like the faction war and Iron Banner. Give us some control on what we want to spend our earnings on.

Im really missing the depth of D1 in terms of different weapon rolls, weekly gunsmith weapons, exotic quests that took weeks to complete, rewarding NF/raid, collecting fragments and many more...

One last thing... please add new guardian classes and enemy races to the game... you cant expect players to use the same classes and killing the same enemies for another 3 years or so.

Yes we can, and in Destiny 3, there will only be one class tree option for each subclass.

after hearing everybody talk about this game for a month i'm glad they delayed the PC version because otherwise i might have been tempted to buy it

Same boat. The hype leading up to release had me thinking I'd get Destiny 2 as soon as it hit PC. After reading multiple similar accounts by long time Destiny fans I'm waiting until there's some major gamechanging DLC out before looking seriously at this game again.

I wouldn't hazard a guess at it's impact overall, but in my case at least, if they were hoping a delayed PC release would result in two sales, it actually resulted in zero.

Jinaar

It may be worth the wait for a price drop on PC if it doesn't do great numbers out of the gate. Mmmmmm cheaper gameeee... mmmmmmmmm.

Gator86

I'm not confident they'll ever fix this series' problems. Fooled me twice so far, so shame on me >_<

Same. I've just mostly accepted it. I don't think they're a good enough developer to bring it all together and really meet the franchise's potential. That's not saying D2 isn't one of the games I've spent the most time with this year and a lot of fun, but Bungie always breaks one thing, at least, to fix something else. They're perpetually two steps forward, one step back.

Maybe one day they'll put it all together, but I doubt it. I'll just play the game with my friends then shelf it as soon as I hit max level or they quit playing it.

border

Well, it's good to know that they're taking all of this stuff in and considering what can be done to increase player engagement and character customizability.

I obviously wish that they had laid out their plans a little more, but it's not like you can ever expect much information from Deej.

ThaPhantom

I just wish there was an endgame of some sort for people that dont play in groups. I am never going to be able to run a raid because that requires too many people and too much time.

I also wish gear was more customizable. One mod slot for guns and armor seems terrible and very inconsequential. Give every item 3 slots and create some unique mods. Gear would mean a lot more.

Triple the loot and make armor do something would be a start.

You'd think with the loot doing almost nothing there'd be a meaningful skill/passive tree. But nope, that barely exists and what does exist is cookie cutter as hell.

Game can't be saved. Maybe next time, Bungie.

gattsu

Weekly update, same as it ever was.

"We're listening."
"Continue the conversation."

...actual meaningful updates coming to you in 3 months, maybe. As paid DLC.

Ah well. At least I'll have time to play other games after I knock out my raids each week.

Would you rather they say nothing?

Things don't happen overnight in game development. ESPECIALLY at a company that size. Hold yer horses, it'll come eventually.

border

I just wish there was an endgame of some sort for people that dont play in groups. I am never going to be able to run a raid because that requires too many people and too much time.

Call To Arms, Flashpoints, and Clan XP are the endgame for solo players.

gattsu

It may be worth the wait for a price drop on PC if it doesn't do great numbers out of the gate. Mmmmmm cheaper gameeee... mmmmmmmmm.
Man as long as it isnt completely broken at launch (based on how solid the pc beta was, unlikely), it's gonna sell like hot cakes on PC. Like, it's gonna sell reeeeeally well.

I'm a huge fan of Bungie and I think Destiny 2 is an incredible game. But I am disappointed by the weekly update this week, and their response to end game feedback.

This should have been anticipated and sorted before launch. While I appreciate there have been new activities each week since launch, none of it is particularly new. Just tweaks and incentives behind existing content - perhaps with some cool gear. It's great stuff at launch, but a month from now, will I care about another Iron Banner or Faction Rally?

The more I play the game, the more I realise that the light and gear system just doesn't work like it should. I have a 305 character and outside of tweaking aesthetics and perhaps the resilience stat, there is no incentive to do any of the activities.
I don't know what the fix is, but as a start I would say that white, green and blue level weapons need to have a role even at end game. Legendary is definitely something to aim for, but it shouldn't be a case of autoscrap everything that isn't purple/exotic.

Thank fuck Crucible is so good.

Also, where is the HDR patch?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel like people are being a bit negative here. The whole "you'll need to pay for this in DLC" stuff is just silly nonsense.

The majority of Destiny's QoL updates were part of free updates. The Taken King's QoL updates came in an update that launched a couple weeks before The Taken King, for example.

"Fixing" the endgame, QoL changes to the vault and shaders, etc. No, you're not going to have to pay for that.

WoolyNinja

Unbelievable that they are just now talking about improving the end game!? That was what was always talked up as where the game starts in Destiny and they are just now trying to figure it out? WTF

Gator86

Well, it's good to know that they're taking all of this stuff in and considering what can be done to increase player engagement and character customizability.

I obviously wish that they had laid out their plans a little more, but it's not like you can ever expect much information from Deej.

Crazy they're having that conversation now when almost every single design choice in D2 is aimed at reducing customization - set subclasses, no loot rolls, etc. I think there were ways they could have addressed that stuff, but the hammer is the tool Bungie defaults to, unfortunately.

jviggy43

The echo chamber of negativity regarding D2 on here is nuts. D2 has improved on D1 in every conceivable way but now we have these extremely vocal sperglords and streamers who've burned through the content at an absurd rate complaining about the lack of endgame and asking for the godawful random stats on weapon/armor drops back so they can have some shitty reasons to grind instead just playing the game like a normal person. I don't get it.

Lmao. PvE is worse in almost every single way.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

I sure ain't paying full price (£55). Already seen it go as low as £32 and it's not even out yet. You can already get good deals if you know where to look.

What's crazy about all this is that everything from launch, initial euphoria, first events, and then the backlash has happened in the console versions already and the PC version is still not going to be released for another 2 weeks.

MrBenchmark

Things I'd like fixed and i played D1 a ton and play this one a ton too.

Fix the loot RNG year 3 loot was smartest it ever was. My first 3 IB rank same fusion and No IB armore WTF is non IB shit doing in his table!

exotic's are double triple and worse same over and over , year 3 they had fixed that shit with smarter drops.

I don't have any gun complaints i aint one of those.

some supers feels too weak especially Hunters.

PVP is just stupid broken lag is still there just no bars to see. no separate playlists.

strikes have no point strike scoring and strike specific loot should be there.

I feel like all the good QOL year 3 D1 changes they just said well fuck that.

My final thought ... Xbox One X comes out soon and if this game doesn't get a update for it I'm going to lose my shit.

Compsiox

Banned
What's crazy about all this is that everything from launch, initial euphoria, first events, and then the backlash has happened in the console versions already and the PC version is still not going to be released for another 2 weeks.

Yeah. It's weird for me to see people bored of a Bungie game before I've gotten the chance to play it.

Regarding people complaining about duplicate drops... The game absolutely showers you with loot, if it didn't drop duplicates everyone with 100-200 hours in game would have literally every exotic and every legendary by now. I'm happy with the current system; at 120 hours played I have a ton of good stuff but each exotic engram is still exciting for me because it could be a Tractor Cannon or something else I don't have.

The more I play the game, the more I realise that the light and gear system just doesn't work like it should. I have a 305 character and outside of tweaking aesthetics and perhaps the resilience stat, there is no incentive to do any of the activities.
I don't know what the fix is, but as a start I would say that white, green and blue level weapons need to have a role even at end game. Legendary is definitely something to aim for, but it shouldn't be a case of autoscrap everything that isn't purple/exotic.

Thank fuck Crucible is so good.

Also, where is the HDR patch?
People on r/DTG are hitting 305 with all Blue/Rare armor. This is the first Destiny where you could max your character with Rares so in a way Destiny 2 is already doing what you say.

There are also Blues/Rares in archetypes that have different perks from the legendary versions, and because of static rolls, that makes them the only possibility to get that archetype/perk combination (whereas in destiny 1 with random rolls, you could get a legendary equivalent of pretty much any blue, getting all the same perks + 1 more).

I've said in precious threads, I'm enjoying the game and it's still really fun. But, it's rather disappointing to start from scratch, because it could have been amazing if built off the three years of the first one.

Does the thing where they had to release this year or pay a price effect anything?

Apeboy

"Were listening, so listen back for updates on future Eververse content and updates on future expansion packs. We're listening so hard that in three years we might be back at an interesting place again after our last reset. Can't wait to do it all over again with Destiny 3! Big shout out to our passionate community, please look forward to our next token based PVP event, and stay safe out there Gaurdians. PR signing off"

We need a Luke Smith listeningintenifies.gif

MrBenchmark

Regarding people complaining about duplicate drops... The game absolutely showers you with loot, if it didn't drop duplicates everyone with 100-200 hours in game would have literally every exotic and every legendary by now. I'm happy with the current system; at 120 hours played I have a ton of good stuff but each exotic engram is still exciting for me because it could be a Tractor Cannon or something else I don't have.

It showers you with useless crap at higher levels. And when you get exotic after exotic of the same item or two items it is worse than before especially when there is a tone of items you haven't gotten AND the fact that the damn engrams are locked to one character!

Drops are fewer and dumber than year 3 to the point opening exotics just pisses me off now. after the last few little update your lucky if a exotic drops once a day and that's playing for many hours.

Remember forever 29 well now it's forever 304 thanks dumb loot drops i need more chests and arms when boots and class item has been needed for weeks now.

As a long time player i can feel when they have purposely F'ed with the system to drag out play time.

And whats with Cayde chests being empty sometimes still!

I almost forgot what I hate the most
The fucking nightfall being timed I hate timers it’s the most thing ever and has no place in Destiny rushing in a panic thru the nightfall is not fun at all.

jviggy43

Worse weapon loadout system. Two primaries make every fight a tedious chore with enemies who have too much life and drop too little ammo to give your heavy slot enough use to make up for the lack of shotguns, fusions and snipers. Those weapons being in the heavy slot was a bad design decision for PvE in order to balance PvP. At end game rockets are still the king of PvE content (utility wise) which makes using shotguns and snipers useless.

Supers, grenades, and abilities are also now much less frequent which added another way to really approach the game. Now you have far fewer ways to vary encounters by playing around with your weapons and abilities because everything has been neutered and streamlined for the sake of balance (PvP balance mind you). This also adds to fights feeling more drawn out.

Additionally, enemies now scale to your level which compounds the above problems. Why am I 305 playing a 240 nightfall and losing my shields in 3 shots even when no burn is active, but in the raid (level 270) I can take about 15 shots before my shields even get into red? You never feel like your power level has gotten you anywhere because enemies now scale with you.

I also don't think the strikes or nightfalls have been an improvement here either. Those were my favorite non raid activities in D1 and now I refuse to touch strikes because theyre long, boring, and I'm still fighting large bullet sponge bosses, and now I'm not even getting loot to make it worth it. Nightfalls having permanent time limits was another bad call imo, especially so because the mechanics for increasing time are typically the "shoot anomalies" modifier. This essentially means play hide and seek with little bright lights in order to buy your team enough time to complete the NF, and unless you watched a video on where they are, youre likely running the nightfall more than once by necessity since odds are you aren't finding them fast enough the first time through to buy enough time that matters. I want to shoot enemies and play the mission, not have a scavenger hunt in obscure areas in order to keep playing the mission (where failure means starting over).

The raid is also a big step down from those in D1 which is the biggest disappointment to me. Raids are why I play. Leviathan is not rewarding from a loot perspective nor a "fun" perspective, with the majority of the rooms and encounters being retreads of previous mechanics.

The story is better from Vanilla destiny but not a step above what we got in TTK (probably on par) and even then its pretty lackluster when compared to most non destiny stories as well.

Infusion system is worse now that weapon types are specific prerequisites for infusing and the mod system hasn't been anywhere near the changes most of us would have hoped for based on how Bungie talked about them adding variety to gear. Weapons and gear are now super generic and lack any meaningful unique abilities like those in D1, and the new additions of grenade launchers (lol) and SMGs are completely trivial.

I could keep going but those are my major issues with the PvE, and I can't for the life of me believe people thinking QoL improvements like not going back to orbit are worth the major step backs in terms of gameplay.

In year three (age of triumph) almost anything could get you to max light or near it in addition to all 4 raids and new loot. It was pretty fun imo

I do wonder if this had kept in line with something like WoW, in which this had simply expanded on content that was already there (Minus some exotics removed for obvious reasons and other QOL/Gameplay features carried over, how much better this would be received right now. Was it simply impossible? Or was it a decision based around download/install sizes as much as it was the difficulty of integration.

Strakt

I do wonder if this had kept in line with something like WoW, in which this had simply expanded on content that was already there (Minus some exotics removed for obvious reasons and other QOL/Gameplay features carried over, how much better this would be received right now. Was it simply impossible? Or was it a decision based around download/install sizes as much as it was the difficulty of integration.

They built the PC version from the ground up. Would of been a dumb move if they also had to build all of destiny 1 again.. not to mention pc players would have to play through all the old content as well as the new. I think destiny 2 will last longer than destiny 1 did and go more the WoW route with expansions adding onto the base game rather than destiny 3 in 2-3 years as its now on every preferred platform.

AEREC

I feel like people are being a bit negative here. The whole "you'll need to pay for this in DLC" stuff is just silly nonsense.

The majority of Destiny's QoL updates were part of free updates. The Taken King's QoL updates came in an update that launched a couple weeks before The Taken King, for example.

"Fixing" the endgame, QoL changes to the vault and shaders, etc. No, you're not going to have to pay for that.

Honestly D2 deserves all the negativity it's getting. It really is like Bungie learned absolutely nothing from D1 year 3 and decided to scrap it and go back to D1 vanilla for the sequel. Except it's even worse because they took the fun out of the game to make it more "balanced."

1. Random Weapon Rolls...nobody complained about this in the first game...it's a staple of loot games, makes absolutely no sense to take it out.

2. Zones are incredibly boring and bland. Not to mention so much feels cut out during free roam that they actually feel smaller than D1's zones to me.

3. Weapon Slots...D1's Normal, Special, Heavy weapon system was fine. Absolutely no reason to change it. D2's weapon slots just feel sloppy.

While there are a bunch of issues, if they don't provide good loot, it doesn't matter.

Token system can get fixed, they could add random rolls, but if the loot sucks nothing changes.

They got INCREDIBLY lucky with the loot with the launch of D1. The raid weapons were good to great across the board providing a reason to go back into the raid, some of the exotics offered at launch were still in use at the end of the game, etc. If D1 launched with the loot quality D2 launched with.. we wouldn't be having this discussion cause Destiny would have died.

So if the loot is going to continue to be generic af, it doesn't matter what they fix at the end of the day. When they finally set aside their pride and admit PVE and PVP need to be separated, maybe this game can flourish. PVE content can get some much needed creativity and PVP can finally achieve balance without PVP constantly undercutting the PVE experience.

Top Bottom