• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian: Sony ends Playstation 2 production worldwide

Thanks for the information Guardian!

EDIT: Rubbish first post. I thought this had been widely reported this week...
EDIT2: NOT RUBBISH! :p

big_boss__s_salute___mgs3_by_rainedrebellion-d57boh0.png

Tremendous console, utterly dominated its generation with a wonderful lineup of software guided by a competent Sony.

Shame they lost all the money they made on it though, as it was profit well-deserved.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's interesting...you'd think they'd still be interested in selling it in some of the emerging markets. Though I guess maybe major markets like Brazil/India are already up to the current gen?

aaaaaa

"It trounced its underpowered rivals, the Nintendo GameCube and Sega Dreamcast,"

Gamecube was slightly more powerful than the PS2, although it was released a year later. This also leaves out the XBox which was released around the same time as the GCN.

That's interesting...you'd think they'd still be interested in selling it in some of the emerging markets. Though I guess maybe major markets like Brazil/India are already up to the current gen?

Its probably getting to the point where its now getting more expensive to keep producing them. Meanwhile there is probably stock somewhere.

The emerging markets are buying quite expensive tech anyway in the shape of phones and tablets. Not PS2's for software that is no longer marketed or well positioned.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think they want to start selling PS3 at this stage, although price is still an issue (but much better than last year at least)

i'm sure they could still sell a few of those, i haven't been keeping up that much with sales numbers, but perhaps it's declining fast? they're already keeping psp, vita and ps3 in the market, i'm guessing they're gearing up for ps4 and probably want to introduce ps3 as the cheap option?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's this true?
Wasn't it still selling at reasonable levels?
They shouldn't juggle so many consoles tbh. There's hardly any software being made for the system; I think it was the right time to stop the production considering PS4 is on the horizon.

They should also do the same for PSP and concentrate on the Vita. Consumers haven't been given a good enough reason to move away from the PSP, and I don't think they will.

I thought they were out there for a while, considering Netflix was released for PS2 there.

Bgamer90

Banned
I thought they were out there for a while, considering Netflix was released for PS2 there.

Really? Interesting.

I may get a new mini PS2 to replace my fat one to save space... especially if the new Playstation won't be backwards compatible with PS2 games.

DarkMehm

You have to keep in mind that productions usually are 1-2 million higher than the shipped number. So they could still ship PS2s half a year from now. That should be more than enough for emerging markets like South America, parts of Africa or Asia.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
We should share their stories of our time with this console, starting with how we felt when we first picked up.

Corto

And the logistics and costs of manufacturing, distributing and marketing 5 gaming platforms (PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3 and the next PS4???? also went into account for this decision I'm sure. Maybe Sony could sell licenses to build PS2 clones to third parties now, to sell in those emerging markets. Get some money upfront without the onus of having to support an ancient platform.

Zeroth

In Brazil people have moved from (pirated) PS2s to (pirated) 360s for some time now. The PS2 was certainly big here until the 360 became more widely available and cheap, and I imagine the situation is similar in other developing countries. That said, the PS3 market is pretty big.

We should share their stories of our time with this console, starting with how we felt when we first picked up.

I didn't have one until like 2005/6, but I know I played a fuck-ton of Vice City at various friends' houses. Shit felt good. Especially pre-'04, before I got my GCN.

The first game I actually got myself for the PS2 was Okami. That was something special.

Somethingawful had jokes about this.

Sony Stops Producing PlayStation 2 Units

Twelve years after the PlayStation 2 debuted, production has officially come to an end.

Sony officials were surprised when they wandered into one of their forgotten factories and noticed that all the lights were on, with all sorts of large machines mass producing PlayStation 2 units. The Sony businessmen - having assumed that they stopped making the console once the PS3 launched - grasped the sides of their heads and opened their mouths in comedic shock.

After unplugging all of the machines and flicking the lights on and off, the executives shooed the factory workers from the building. Finally, they turned to one another and breathed a sigh of relief, thankful to have caught the mistake before it could cost them even more money.

Then, one executive asked if the others heard a noise coming from the old PlayStation 1 factory.

Bgamer90

Banned

I was in the 5th grade... got it a few months after it released thanks to my aunt (Feb. 2001).

Got SSX, NBA Live 2001, and Tekken Tag. A few months after that I got NBA Street. So much fun.

The PS2 is my second favorite console of all time, right below the SNES. So many great games and so much variety.

Top Bottom