• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Minamu

Thanks for the answers.

Hope they fix the blueprint bug then. Just played for around 3 hours and didn't get a single new blueprint from around a dozen or so chances. I do buy some at the space stations but they seem kinda limited in selection and no Atlas pass or warp drives there from what I've seen so far.

Guess I'm just going through a rough patch. Even the crashed ships are all 90% shuttles and all clear downgrades.

Will keep trying.
I've gotten my three Atlas Passes from abandoned buildings and such as rewards. But you're not missing out on much at the moment, and they don't stack >_< The lvl 2 and 3 doors mostly lead to silly plant farms for free Carbon... As for warp drives, you could get them from the people in space stations that you can talk to. Solving the "puzzles" the station leader provides can give you such blueprints. No idea if that's the only place though but it used to be that way I believe.

I've gotten my three Atlas Passes from abandoned buildings and such as rewards. But you're not missing out on much at the moment, and they don't stack >_< The lvl 2 and 3 doors mostly lead to silly plant farms for free Carbon...

After 100+ hours in NMS, Polo finally gave me a level 2 Atlas pass. Yeah, it was definitely a itsfuckingnothing.gif when I walked into the room.

ultimota

posted this in the PC performance thread but since that thread has been dead for months i thought i would post here to (if not ok plz delete)

i just started playing and noticed some odd "issues"

i visited a friend to see if these things were showing up for him and they didn't seem to be

0u3NPo3.jpg

wB4wIPd.jpg

iPg2vPt.jpg

Jg4pngi.jpg

also getting some missing textures eg. emeril is just black. also low 50fps on planets though not sure if thats normal for this game though

cpu - 7700k
gpu - GTX1080
ram - 16gb ddr4

Nemic77

I've gotten my three Atlas Passes from abandoned buildings and such as rewards. But you're not missing out on much at the moment, and they don't stack >_< The lvl 2 and 3 doors mostly lead to silly plant farms for free Carbon... As for warp drives, you could get them from the people in space stations that you can talk to. Solving the "puzzles" the station leader provides can give you such blueprints. No idea if that's the only place though but it used to be that way I believe.

This was before the update, right? Because I only get nanites from abandoned buildings and other places that seem to have given blueprints before.

Space stations with the nanite shop and the NPC dialogue are probably the best places to get anything new until this repeated blueprint bug gets fixed.

dubq

The items don't stack but can a V2 pass not open a V1 and a V3 open a V2 + V1? If not, that's super lame..

Minamu

This was before the update, right? Because I only get nanites from abandoned buildings and other places that seem to have given blueprints before.

Space stations with the nanite shop and the NPC dialogue are probably the best places to get anything new until this repeated blueprint bug gets fixed.
Ah yeah probably, I've had the v3 for some weeks, I think it was a building reward so probably before nanites.

The items don't stack but can a V2 pass not open a V1 and a V3 open a V2 + V1? If not, that's super lame..
Yes that's what I mean. If you want to be able to open everything, you need to dedicate three slots in your inventory permanently for the passes. I guess you could go the bypass chip route and only build them when you need them but they're not one-time use like the chips and cost more iirc.

dubq

According to the Wikia:

AtlasPass v1 is the only AtlasPass that can unlock Debris containers.

AtlasPass v3 can be used for any door that requires an AtlasPass. This makes AtlasPass v2 obsolete once the v3 version is acquired.

So I guess you could eliminate V2 from your inventory once you get a V3.. that's something. Still bizarre that they would have you carry around a V1 just for debris containers.

Ah yeah probably, I've had the v3 for some weeks, I think it was a building reward so probably before nanites.

Yes that's what I mean. If you want to be able to open everything, you need to dedicate three slots in your inventory permanently for the passes. I guess you could go the bypass chip route and only build them when you need them but they're not one-time use like the chips and cost more iirc.

Yeah it's kind of sad that the level 1 pass is really the best pass, as the canisters often give Antimatter for warp cells. Those locked-off rooms were one of those things they probably just threw together as they were running out of money and had to ship.

Honestly I'd be happy if they just got rid of warp cells completely and just made warping a straightforward fuel meter. It really bogs down the flow of exploration and trading to have to find materials to craft warp cells every time. At the very least warp cells should be available for sale at every space station.

Yeah it's kind of sad that the level 1 pass is really the best pass, as the canisters often give Antimatter for warp cells. Those locked-off rooms were one of those things they probably just threw together as they were running out of money and had to ship.

Honestly I'd be happy if they just got rid of warp cells completely and just made warping a straightforward fuel meter. It really bogs down the flow of exploration and trading to have to find materials to craft warp cells every time. At the very least warp cells should be available for sale at every space station.
I don't think they should get rid of warp cells, because they are easy to make. What they should do is make each cell last for 100 lightyears. So if I travel 50 I still have room to travel back or to another system. Then if I wanted to travel further than 100, I'd need more than one. It would save space in your inventory, because you could just top up the drive.

Mindlog

Oh dang. How rad would it be if they let players build warp gates? Imagine a very costly transportation network built organically by everyone still playing.

dubq

Finally got a warpdrive upgrade so that I could get to a red star system and mine some Rubeum.. wow that stuff sells for quite a bit on the GTN. Will probably have enough for a freighter sooner than I had thought!

neoism

Fucking woooow

I had 10 atlas stones and got to the last one with all 10 stones but didn't give me the option to give them to it because they were on my ship. &#128529;

I love this game but it has the fucking worst inventory management system ever and I have max slots on both suit and ship

shortcomings

Neo Member
Just bought the game and played half an hour to get the hang of things. Died a couple of times because of the sentinels but no worries.
Now I'm in an endless loop of death because I'm out of life support, and can't do anything because I'm dead in seconds, be it on a cave or inside the base.

I really hope the next update(s) focuses more on exploration and discovery because right now planets are not exciting enough to explore. Given that planets only have the one biome and that there are no unique structures or anything to discover, once you clear the atmosphere and land or even just fly over the surface for 5 seconds you've pretty much seen everything the planet has to offer. It has become even more apparent the last couple of days for me as I have been warping around a lot searching for new ships and freighters.

I've been landing on every planet and moon that I come to but only briefly as my experience with the game tells me that there's simply nothing out there to find that is worthwhile. Give me a reason to spend an hour or ten exploring a planet, other than to collect resources or to take a screenshot or two. I want some of that mystery, that excitement, that feeling of not knowing what's out there, that feeling we all had when we fired up the game for the first time and we were exploring our first planet. I want that feeling back again, but for every planet or moon that I visit.

I really hope the next update(s) focuses more on exploration and discovery because right now planets are not exciting enough to explore. Given that planets only have the one biome and that there are no unique structures or anything to discover, once you clear the atmosphere and land or even just fly over the surface for 5 seconds you've pretty much seen everything the planet has to offer. It has become even more apparent the last couple of days for me as I have been warping around a lot searching for new ships and freighters.

I've been landing on every planet and moon that I come to but only briefly as my experience with the game tells me that there's simply nothing out there to find that is worthwhile. Give me a reason to spend an hour or ten exploring a planet, other than to collect resources or to take a screenshot or two. I want some of that mystery, that excitement, that feeling of not knowing what's out there, that feeling we all had when we fired up the game for the first time and we were exploring our first planet. I want that feeling back again, but for every planet or moon that I visit.

I'm sure they realize the creatures are pretty goofy and way too limited to be unique enough to fill a galaxy (considering they promised "hundreds" of base creature models and we got what...15?), but I imagine they're waiting until all the changes they want to make to the proc gen are done before pressing the reset button again. Maybe that will be the next update.

But to your complaint about the lack of unique structures or discoveries, it's certainly a problem and not something that can be easily solved with procedural generation. It would be interesting to see some Dwarf Fortress kind of procedural lore and worldbuilding so that each planet has its own stories and history, but that would be a major undertaking.

I really think the best chance they have to make the planets more interesting is to increase the number of activities and threats, fleshing out the combat and making NPCs interact with the land (and with you). Imagine big Korvax mining haulers, or Vy'keen bounty hunters, etc. Dynamic missions that feed back into the local faction and NPC allegiances. One can dream anyway.

Agreed about the lack of interest in planet exploration. I think I've said similar things in this forum before but I wish that they would construct their planets with "themes" to start with and to make most/all of the lifeforms on each planet fit into that same theme. I know that planet Earth has a huge variety of life on it and I'm not expecting nearly that level of variety on each world I visit in NMS but having at least narrow themes on a world would be good.

I also think that the lifeform generation should progress through more steps to determine the life on the planet based on the type(s) of biome(s) on the planet, if the planet is cold, or hot, or irradiated, etc. Although NMS does this to a small degree (I know that high radiation planets seem to have a much higher chance of having the really weird creatures and there are cactus on "desert" like planets for a couple of examples) there could be a lot more work done on this. A couple of quick examples are for a cold planet maybe all/most of the creatures should have fur or thick hides to protect them from the cold?

Some examples off the top of my head:
-A planet with fungus type lifeforms, including maybe some giant fungus that slowly move around.

-A lifeless world that perhaps had a nuclear disaster in its past so there would be devastated ruins and a high level of radiation.

-A mineral rich world with a bunch of illegal mining on it. Perhaps you have to fight the miners for resources.

-A planet where the indigenous sentient life form is being used as slave labor for mining or some other kind of work.

I know that regardless, there would still be a bit of "sameness" after a while but there must be something that could be done to make these planets seem more unique - maybe not even do this on every single planet (some of them should just be empty rocks) but even if a fifth of the worlds were more interesting it would help.

Been getting back into this game since launch. Spent the last 2 hours trying to find the final species of the planet i am on and i cannot find it, and it's driving me insane >.<

Lack of money is also painful. Found a great mining gun that has 23 slots (current one has 8) for 2.5 mill, and i have a measly 650k lol.

How does one get a v1 Atlas Pass? I remember having one, but since I am still using my old save, maybe I lost it?

Prisoner

Been getting back into this game since launch. Spent the last 2 hours trying to find the final species of the planet i am on and i cannot find it, and it's driving me insane >.<

Lack of money is also painful. Found a great mining gun that has 23 slots (current one has 8) for 2.5 mill, and i have a measly 650k lol.

How does one get a v1 Atlas Pass? I remember having one, but since I am still using my old save, maybe I lost it?

In case you didn't know, or had forgotten, species are always listed in the discoveries menu in order of type:
Some animals are also nocturnal.

And from the NMS wiki:
The AtlasPass blueprint is unlocked by finding a space anomaly which appears as a spherical space station with a red-glowing entry port. Talking to the Gek grants an AtlasPass V1 blueprint. Note that you must have met at least six aliens and therefore reached your third milestone or else you won't be able to communicate.

Can also be found in the buildings where one can find the V2 and V3 version, but it can take a lot of time and a lot of operationnal centers.
Once you have the Atlas Pass blueprint, you can always craft another if you accidentally sell or destroy it.

Perineum

Got the game the other day as it was $20.00 and just wanted to mess around with it.

I'll say I was one of the biggest naysayers of this game, and to this day I still hate the lead of HelloGames. He's a con artist looking type, and the way they treated their community after launch or lack of communication has been scummy to say the least.

Anyway...the actual game! Not a $60.00 feeling game from the few hours I played. The $20.00 I paid though? Perfect asking price for the experience so far. Fun, easy to loose time, but like others have mentioned the inventory management is a chore.

Art style is great, ambient music is fun, exploring is satisfying, but the rest of the game is hit or miss in a lot of ways.

I definitely will keep putting in more time to "reach the center" or whatever the goal is for those of us who are goal oriented.

I don't think they should get rid of warp cells, because they are easy to make. What they should do is make each cell last for 100 lightyears. So if I travel 50 I still have room to travel back or to another system. Then if I wanted to travel further than 100, I'd need more than one. It would save space in your inventory, because you could just top up the drive.
So it would be... a fuel meter, exactly like the person you responded to was suggesting? I'm not even opposed to that, but 100 light years per cell is way too small. I have all warp upgrades and can jump 1,600+ lightyears in a single warp; I don't want to carry 17 warp cells with me to do that. I like the idea of a meter, just change the upgrades so they affect how efficient your warp drive is. Same thing as now, but you get to load up your drive, so it's no longer "I can warp 5 times," it's "I can warp 10,000 total lightyears." Could be one jump, could be a thousand.

I have all warp upgrades and can jump 1,600+ lightyears in a single warp

Are you sure you're really warping that far though? I have all warp upgrades as well and while it seems I have a range of around 1,660 light years while I'm searching for a new system to warp to, the distance to centre after the warp only changes by around 400 light years. It's been a while since I've taken much notice but that's what it did last time I checked.

So it would be... a fuel meter, exactly like the person you responded to was suggesting? I'm not even opposed to that, but 100 light years per cell is way too small. I have all warp upgrades and can jump 1,600+ lightyears in a single warp; I don't want to carry 17 warp cells with me to do that. I like the idea of a meter, just change the upgrades so they affect how efficient your warp drive is. Same thing as now, but you get to load up your drive, so it's no longer "I can warp 5 times," it's "I can warp 10,000 total lightyears." Could be one jump, could be a thousand.

Yup, I suggested the fuel meter. If I was designing the feature, I'd probably introduce a new resource for warp fuel, which is available for sale at every space station and maybe the big outposts. The resource would be a refined form of something you can go out and mine, and perhaps refinery buildings could be added on the surface which you could contract with to supply the raw resource (or steal from). Perhaps you could even build your own refinery, which might be an interesting direction to take the base building in -- creating our own towns and industrial centers (assuming they could optimize base rendering on PS4).

Are you sure you're really warping that far though? I have all warp upgrades as well and while it seems I have a range of around 1,660 light years while I'm searching for a new system to warp to, the distance to centre after the warp only changes by around 400 light years. It's been a while since I've taken much notice but that's what it did last time I checked.

I think it's fairly accurate... recently I made a couple of ~1400 light year jumps directly towards the center and went from 176k to 173k from the center.

Minamu

Got the game the other day as it was $20.00 and just wanted to mess around with it.

I'll say I was one of the biggest naysayers of this game, and to this day I still hate the lead of HelloGames. He's a con artist looking type, and the way they treated their community after launch or lack of communication has been scummy to say the least.

Anyway...the actual game! Not a $60.00 feeling game from the few hours I played. The $20.00 I paid though? Perfect asking price for the experience so far. Fun, easy to loose time, but like others have mentioned the inventory management is a chore.

Art style is great, ambient music is fun, exploring is satisfying, but the rest of the game is hit or miss in a lot of ways.

I definitely will keep putting in more time to "reach the center" or whatever the goal is for those of us who are goal oriented.
You'll probably hate the game and the devs even more if you aim for the center, just saying! I like goals too, but I learned to aim for maxing out my inventory slots and getting cool looking ships, collecting all words for all three languages etc, instead of trying to follow the narrative or the end game. Trophies are pretty good too as guidance. Simply put, there is no worthwhile designed goal to reach, just chill and make your own goals instead.

I'm sick of this kind of attitude. Who's the con artist in this situation? A man who sold his house to make a game about a comedy stuntman, then used its profits to make NMS, where he once again he ran out of money, only to make more on the game's sales. And guess where that money's going? Straight back into the game. Or on the other side of this we have the fans who got lost in their own world of what the game could be, despite being warned about this numerous by Murray himself. No, they ignored his words to listen to some of his other words, words they build another game around. Then some unsuspecting journalist finds out the game is to be delayed and those fans lose all rational thought and threaten death to the journalist, and then Murray himself when they realise it's true. Then the game is released and they don't like it...for 50 hours and decide they want their money back.

Who's the con artist in this situation? The man who continues to use the money from a product to improve the product or the fans who use the product for 50 hours and take back the money? You just know what Sean would say to those people, "Thank for playing my game". The logic that he is a con artist disappeared in November, when his actions spoke louder than words.

And I don't get the logic behind anyone being pissed off? Before Foundation, people were saying we were foolish to believe an update would come, but they came and with a promise of free updates. Who's losing out here? The people who got a full refund? No. The people who still have the game? No. The people who bought the game anytime in the last 6 months at a much lower price? Definitely not.

The 100 light years per cell was an example, because it's the minimum. They would increase with your capabilities. But you still wouldn't need to carry 17 anyway, because you'd just top up the warp drive. Warp cells wouldn't take any space. You could also combine the two ideas and have another fuel source as well.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
For those people wanting to get to the centre, get yourself a 'junker' and just use it to go through black holes. The Freighter is your best friend.

Tigress

I'm sick of this kind of attitude. Who's the con artist in this situation? A man who sold his house to make a game about a comedy stuntman, then used its profits to make NMS, where he once again he ran out of money, only to make more on the game's sales. And guess where that money's going? Straight back into the game. Or on the other side of this we have the fans who got lost in their own world of what the game could be, despite being warned about this numerous by Murray himself. No, they ignored his words to listen to some of his other words, words they build another game around. Then some unsuspecting journalist finds out the game is to be delayed and those fans lose all rational thought and threaten death to the journalist, and then Murray himself when they realise it's true. Then the game is released and they don't like it...for 50 hours and decide they want their money back.

Who's the con artist in this situation? The man who continues to use the money from a product to improve the product or the fans who use the product for 50 hours and take back the money? You just know what Sean would say to those people, "Thank for playing my game". The logic that he is a con artist disappeared in November, when his actions spoke louder than words.

And I don't get the logic behind anyone being pissed off? Before Foundation, people were saying we were foolish to believe an update would come, but they came and with a promise of free updates. Who's losing out here? The people who got a full refund? No. The people who still have the game? No. The people who bought the game anytime in the last 6 months at a much lower price? Definitely not.

Very well said.

While I too am tired of the "Sean is a conman" comments, I think it's fair for people to be upset at features that were promised and not delivered. Just because Hello came out with updates which address different aspects than those missing features doesn't let Hello off the hook. There's four pillars to NMS -- fight, trade, survival, exploration -- and two of them are paper thin, and a third one lacks the variety that was talked about. The faction system Sean described basically doesn't exist. No orbits/rotations which was promised. It's fine that people who want Minecraft are satisfied, but that doesn't mean others who are still waiting for the rest of the game's potential to be fulfilled are in the wrong for being unhappy with the current state of the game.

For those people wanting to get to the centre, get yourself a 'junker' and just use it to go through black holes. The Freighter is your best friend.

I'm heading towards the center in the same way that I head towards the end of a pub crawl. I don't really care if I reach the end, it's just a good direction to head in. ;)

Nerix

With the latest patch, Polo is the only option to get the theta warp drive, right? I wasn't able to find it anywhere else...

To get the blueprint from Polo, you unfortunately need to have 10 planets 100% scanned. Such an annoying achievement, to find the last animal is really hard...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
With the latest patch, Polo is the only option to get the theta warp drive, right? I wasn't able to find it anywhere else...

To get the blueprint from Polo, you unfortunately need to have 10 planets 100% scanned. Such an annoying achievement, to find the last animal is really hard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-lDC7wL6wE

I've got a new way of getting to the centre pretty fast:

1: Do the Atlas path to
show all the black holes
2: Buy a freighter and a cheap ship
3: Use your good ship to find black holes
4: Summon the freighter and take the cheap ship though the black hole.
5: Rinse and repeat. No need to fix the cheap ship.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
New update is LIVE, if you don't already know.

Greetings explorers,

Today we're releasing Patch 1.24, which addresses some remaining issues and bugs players have reported since the launch of the Path Finder Update. This update is live now on both PC and PS4, and the patch notes are as follows:

-Fixed an issue that caused player's bases not to appear

-Optimised light shafts, allowing us to enable them on PS4

-Fixed a game freeze/lock up that could occur when in space

-Improved frame rate when playing with unlocked frame rate, or vsync disabled

-Fixed some issues with Steam controller prompts

-Various minor performance optimisations

-Fixed some rare crashes & freezes

Thanks to everyone who has been playing and providing feedback/bug reports! If you continue to experience issues, you can report them via our Help Centre.

Hello Games

Nerix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-lDC7wL6wE

I've got a new way of getting to the centre pretty fast:

1: Do the Atlas path to
show all the black holes
2: Buy a freighter and a cheap ship
3: Use your good ship to find black holes
4: Summon the freighter and take the cheap ship though the black hole.
5: Rinse and repeat. No need to fix the cheap ship.
Thx, thats a good approach. I stopped using black holes due to the damage.

Now I have to get more money for a freighter (am sitting at 5 million), probably should expand my farm... What is the least expensive freighter?

While I too am tired of the "Sean is a conman" comments, I think it's fair for people to be upset at features that were promised and not delivered. Just because Hello came out with updates which address different aspects than those missing features doesn't let Hello off the hook. There's four pillars to NMS -- fight, trade, survival, exploration -- and two of them are paper thin, and a third one lacks the variety that was talked about. The faction system Sean described basically doesn't exist. No orbits/rotations which was promised. It's fine that people who want Minecraft are satisfied, but that doesn't mean others who are still waiting for the rest of the game's potential to be fulfilled are in the wrong for being unhappy with the current state of the game.
But there's a world of difference between what the missing features are or mean for the game, and what the fans are saying about them.

Seeing other players somehow equals Battlefield in space. Being able to join a battle equals some kind of deep mission structure. And with planetary physics (my most wanted feature) it seem like people thought the whole game would revolve around it (pun intended), when really the only thing it does is make it easier to move around a system. The real flaws with the game weren't really the missing features. The fact that it was way too easy, the balance being off, the amount of buildings, plentiful resources and many tiny annoyances, were what held it back. But it was far from the worst game ever made.

Tigress

But there's a world of difference between what the missing features are or mean for the game, and what the fans are saying about them.

Seeing other players somehow equals Battlefield in space. Being able to join a battle equals some kind of deep mission structure. And with planetary physics (my most wanted feature) it seem like people thought the whole game would revolve around it (pun intended), when really the only thing it does is make it easier to move around a system. The real flaws with the game weren't really the missing features. The fact that it was way too easy, the balance being off, the amount of buildings, plentiful resources and many tiny annoyances, were what held it back. But it was far from the worst game ever made.

Precisely. The stuff people complained about were window dressing, they'd make the game better, but they wouldn't fix the problems with the game for what the game is actually trying to do. The biggest problem with NMS is the balance of the game. One thing I'd change is that instead of the better shields lasting longer, I'd make it so as enviornmental hazards got higher, weaker shields would not hold back the environment (like they are only rated for so much cold/toxicity/radiation). So as hazards got more as you get further in the game you need to find a better shield to actually go on the planets. They did fix that blueprints were gotten way too easy (I like the new change there). And they do seem to be working on it (every major patch does seem to work on gameplay balance).

Great to hear that the god rays have made it to the PS4! And that hopefully the space battle freezes are fixed.

Of course there many people who were expecting procedural Destiny and it was never supposed to be that. However, some of the things it was supposed to be are not quite there. For instance, I wanted to mainly be a space trader. I was immensely excited by the prospect of procedural star systems with proper orbital mechanics that I could muck about in, imagining something between Wing Commander and Trade Wars. But there are no planet orbits or rotations, the space combat is very underwhelming (bad controls, dumb AI), the trade system is not at all dynamic, is not designed for trading at scale, and is mired with inventory management issues, and warring factions are only present as a background prop.

Some people have said that the current game is what it was supposed to be, and say in so many words that everyone else should stop complaining. And exploration and survival are major pillars of the game no doubt, but so are trading and combat, and both of those deserve the improvements the other two got. Because some of us care about those things more than exploring planets and mining/crafting, and that's (supposed to be) just as valid a way to play the game.

Tigress

Of course there many people who were expecting procedural Destiny and it was never supposed to be that. However, some of the things it was supposed to be are not quite there. For instance, I wanted to mainly be a space trader. I was immensely excited by the prospect of procedural star systems with proper orbital mechanics that I could muck about in, imagining something between Wing Commander and Trade Wars. But there are no planet orbits or rotations, the space combat is very underwhelming (bad controls, dumb AI), the trade system is not at all dynamic, is not designed for trading at scale, and is mired with inventory management issues, and warring factions are only present as a background prop.

Some people have said that the current game is what it was supposed to be, and say in so many words that everyone else should stop complaining. And exploration and survival are major pillars of the game no doubt, but so are trading and combat, and both of those deserve the improvements the other two got. Because some of us care about those things more than exploring planets and mining/crafting, and that's (supposed to be) just as valid a way to play the game.

Combat I'll disagree cause Sean always kinda tried to walk back expectations of combat. At least from what I saw (and I paid close attention to any NMS news) he seemed to keep trying to walk back expectations that it was a combat game. It seemed more combat was in there cause it was a space game and you expect it but that he wasn't really interested in it being about the combat (basically I walked back any expectations of much gunfighting mechanics early on like a year or two before when watching interviews cause he did give the idea that it was going to be basic combat stuff and not really the main point of the game).

That being said, the combat being better would make it much better of course but to me it's more like an RPG/simulation in that it's there to help you simulate the experience but it's really not the main thing. But, it would make the game more fun if it was better (and felt more fair/less frustrating) so there's no reason not to try to push for better combat. But not sure it will happen cause at least the guy who seems to represent himself as the main instigator/creator of the game I don't think he's that interested in combat (I don't know about the rest, Sean is the one who always got interviewed and not sure how much influence they have in direction the game goes... sean always came off as this was his project). I mean hell, I want a cloaking/stealth way of dealing with the sentinels on aggro planets cause they are just annoying, but maybe making htem more fun to shoot down would also make the aggro planets more fun. Right now they are just frustrating and unfun cause I can't do much but deal with the sentinels (they are a danger you can't do anything about. At least with environmental dangers I am given ways of making them temporarily safe so I can do stuff/explore).

Trading I think you make a very good point (and he did specifically say he wanted to make it open for people if they just wanted to be traders to be traders). I haven't really messed with being a trader so I don't know how well the mechanics work there (in fact most the time I don't even bother with worrying if I'm getting a better deal). I've been playing it more as a survival/exploration game (hell, I haven't even bothered to try to get to the center. I more look at it as a survival game with the reward being that you get to explore more for your efforts).

Minamu

Umm I think they added new clouds and snow storm effects?! :D I'm on a snowy planet and I can't see the ground when flying near space due to a thick layer of fog/clouds :) and there's like dusty snow particles on the ground during the blizzard phase.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just came across the most beautiful planet I've ever seen in all of my 300+ hours a playtime, but I didn't feel 'happy', I felt 'disappointed'. Hello games need to seriously rectify this because every single paradise planet when playing Survival has aggressive sentinels. What they need to do is make it 'possible' for us to find the perfect planet in every way. It doesn't matter if we never find it, what matters is it CAN be found. That would give every landing a sense of excitement, like winning the lottery. This is a very important thing and they MUST do this. It cannot be stressed enough.

dubq

I think it would be nice to have a way to improve standing with Sentinels. Ie: change aggressive to passive, etc.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think it would be nice to have a way to improve standing with Sentinels. Ie: change aggressive to passive, etc.

A karma system would be good. Perhaps planet by planet for the Sentinals but far reaching for animals. If they introduced a Sentinel enemy and you could slowly up your karma with the Sentinels by beating said enemy, then that would be a worth while investment of time and a decent gaming loop. With Animals, I'd allow the karma system to move through the galaxy with the player and reduce (not completely eradicate) the amount of animals that attack you on a planet. Perhaps it could affect those animals that would attack regardless by reducing the amount they attack.

What does orbiting planets have to do with trading? With the exception of moons and space stations, planetary movement is going to have little impact on gameplay. The only way it will have an impact is if they add seasons.

And I can't say people should stop questioning the game. Combat/Factions are the thing that can potentially add to all areas of the game. The day NPCs can run around on the surface is a great day.
I just came across the most beautiful planet I've ever seen in all of my 300+ hours a playtime, but I didn't feel 'happy', I felt 'disappointed'. Hello games need to seriously rectify this because every single paradise planet when playing Survival has aggressive sentinels. What they need to do is make it 'possible' for us to find the perfect planet in every way. It doesn't matter if we never find it, what matters is it CAN be found. That would give every landing a sense of excitement, like winning the lottery. This is a very important thing and they MUST do this. It cannot be stressed enough.
Has anyone ever found a nice world without aggressive sentinels?

Combat I'll disagree cause Sean always kinda tried to walk back expectations of combat. At least from what I saw (and I paid close attention to any NMS news) he seemed to keep trying to walk back expectations that it was a combat game. It seemed more combat was in there cause it was a space game and you expect it but that he wasn't really interested in it being about the combat (basically I walked back any expectations of much gunfighting mechanics early on like a year or two before when watching interviews cause he did give the idea that it was going to be basic combat stuff and not really the main point of the game).

Yeah I don't necessarily disagree with any of your points. I too walked back at least my expectations of ground combat, as it always seemed rudimentary. I could be forgetting something he said, but I don't remember Sean walking back combat in general (other than questions about MP), especially as Combat was one of the four pillars they marketed the game on. And at least in the videos space combat seemed to have potential. It's hard to say how Sean feels about the combat because he was so cagey about details pre-release (this includes the trading too). Considering the amount of weapons they're adding to the multi-tool and ships it's safe to say they want to improve on the combat, but until they improve the AI and capabilities of the enemies it won't matter much.

I do agree that Sean is more of a heavy crafting/farming kind of guy...he seemed to get distracted in videos just mining rocks and asteroids. But I don't think that's all he wanted the game to be, either.

What does orbiting planets have to do with trading? With the exception of moons and space stations, planetary movement is going to have little impact on gameplay. The only way it will have an impact is if they add seasons.

What does building elaborate bases have to do with gameplay? Not everything is about mechanics... the premise of flying around in these somewhat-realistic star systems was evocative for me in the same way that the art direction was.

But to spitball some ideas
- orbiting planets would make trading-focused players have to think about their trading routes in terms of optimizing fuel usage as planets rotated around its star
- orbiting planets would allow planets/moons to rise and fall, and perhaps planetary alignments could trigger some game element to happen, such as portals activating, etc.
- rotating planets would allow unique and more realistic day/night cycles on each planet, which would factor into survival (you wouldn't know the cycle when you land on a planet, you could be in night time for hours or days)

Has anyone ever found a nice world without aggressive sentinels?

In Survival or in general? In normal mode I've found plenty of lush worlds with chill Sentinels. They only seem to get aggressive on planets with rare minerals. (why they let you mine pillars of some resources but freak out at a tiny Plutonium crystal I've never understood)

Can anyone else see a small black circle whenever they look at a sun? I only just noticed it now since updating to the latest version on the PS4. Not sure if it was there before but I imagine I would have noticed it if it was. It's easier to see while using pulse engine in space.

E92 M3

Umm I think they added new clouds and snow storm effects?! :D I'm on a snowy planet and I can't see the ground when flying near space due to a thick layer of fog/clouds :) and there's like dusty snow particles on the ground during the blizzard phase.

What are you playing on?

Why the hell is this still $60 on the store? I can get it for $25 off Amazon, but i hate switching disks.

I just got a Pro over the weekend and I really want to give it a try. Even more annoying, the 20% coupon that came w/ my Pro was invalid and Sony customer services is making it a pain in the ass to get another code.

What does building elaborate bases have to do with gameplay? Not everything is about mechanics... the premise of flying around in these somewhat-realistic star systems was evocative for me in the same way that the art direction was.

But to spitball some ideas
- orbiting planets would make trading-focused players have to think about their trading routes in terms of optimizing fuel usage as planets rotated around its star
- orbiting planets would allow planets/moons to rise and fall, and perhaps planetary alignments could trigger some game element to happen, such as portals activating, etc.
- rotating planets would allow unique and more realistic day/night cycles on each planet, which would factor into survival (you wouldn't know the cycle when you land on a planet, you could be in night time for hours or days)
Ok, I thought you were linking the two together, I understand now.

That second one I was thinking about the other day. There could be a trophy for finding 10 planetary alignments.

And that last one is tricky. What's the range in size of planets anyway? It really is hard to tell.

And that last one is tricky. What's the range in size of planets anyway? It really is hard to tell.

I remember that one YouTuber walked around a planet and finished in 14 real-life hours or so, but I just went back and looked at that planet and it's definitely not the biggest I've seen (judging from the distance while in space). So the biggest ones might take more like a full 24 hours to walk around.

Top Bottom