• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall install problem

Rimshot

Hi,

Have tried a couple of things with no success so here I am asking if any of you got a way around the thing :)

I bought Dreamfall way back (DVD EU Edition) and haven't had time to play it but now I do so I thought lets get it on. Popped in the DVD, installed, and when double clicking the icon it says to run this game you must let this game install Starforce :/ I was like WTF :/ No way!

So I went to search the internet for no dvd patches or cracks and what not in hope that they actually prevent the Starforce installation, but none do. Every crack out there is for the American Securerom which I wouldn't mind, just against Starforce. So I try a couple of cracks even though I own the original but the game just crashes the first thing it does, shows a black screen for 1 sec like it's going to start then crash, not even seeing publisher logos etc.

So my question to you all is if anybody have the EU version with Starforce and how they get around it?

Thanks beforehand for input / help.

Furcas

Banned
I have the NA version so I can't help you, but I can give you the following advice: No matter how many hurdles you have to overcome to play Dreamfall, it's worth it. It's the most brilliant piece of storytelling in all of gaming.

Tigel

I had problem when I installed the european version of Dreamfall too. Securom wasn't able to recognise my game DVD so I contacted their support line, they gave me a CD key to enter and the game now plays flawlessly.

So should try and contact them at support@empire.co.uk.

Rimshot

Tigel said:
I had problem when I installed the european version of Dreamfall too. Securom wasn't able to recognise my game DVD so I contacted their support line, they gave me a CD key to enter and the game now plays flawlessly.

So should try and contact them at support@empire.co.uk.

Kemedia who gave it out here, and I wish it was just Securerom, I wouldn't mind that at all :) It's Starforce I dread. Freaking thing installs and then it's there FOREVER! Mwahaha :( Heh

And they give you a CD key with the game, so it's not a Disc not in tray problem.

FirewalkR

JESUS CHRIST I saw "Dreamfall" and thought it would be sequel news. :(

Don't really know how to help you mate, hope you sort it out though.

Btw I dunno how much it costs on Steam but it should be pretty cheap. I got TLJ and Dreamfall from there and after playing both and LOVING them to death I also got the Euro Collector's Edition which has Starforce and I'll never install. It's got a pretty book with pretty pictures though. :)

Furcas said:
I have the NA version so I can't help you, but I can give you the following advice: No matter how many hurdles you have to overcome to play Dreamfall, it's worth it. It's the most brilliant piece of storytelling in all of gaming.
If there was a way to like a post so hard that it exploded, this would be it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Rimshot said:
Kemedia who gave it out here, and I wish it was just Securerom, I wouldn't mind that at all :) It's Starforce I dread. Freaking thing installs and then it's there FOREVER! Mwahaha :( Heh

And they give you a CD key with the game, so it's not a Disc not in tray problem.

Starforce does provide a legit uninstall/removal tool. You could install the game, remove starforce, then use the game with an .exe that doesn't use the starforce protection.

Searched high and low for a solution, and most Vista 64 users seem to be content installing starforce, couldn't find any way around it, given you're sticking to the UK DVD version.

FirewalkR

Furcas said:

I missed this comment earlier. My favorite game ever is Deus Ex, it's immersiveness is unparalleled to me. Still, it was after playing TLJ and Dreamfall recently, both for the first time, that I found out you can actually LOVE a game.

Rimshot

Minsc said:
Starforce does provide a legit uninstall/removal tool. You could install the game, remove starforce, then use the game with an .exe that doesn't use the starforce protection.

Searched high and low for a solution, and most Vista 64 users seem to be content installing starforce, couldn't find any way around it, given you're sticking to the UK DVD version.

The game wont run doing that :/ It only crashes since required and patched files are not there. People are having a hell of a time when choosing to install Starforce on Vista 64. First of all they need to update it since the Starforce on the disc is just old and makes things worse :( Guess I'm just scared but I do not want something that might hurt my hardware.

Btw, thank you and all others who have tried to help :) Going to give up for tonight (almost 3:30 am here) and start my search again tomorrow for a good solution. Worst comes to worst I guess I'm going to have to track down a USA iso of the game seeing I have a valid serial.

Furcas said:

Hopefully if they ever make a third in the series, they add gameplay to match the story. Like maybe the gameplay from the first game with the story from the second.

As for Starforce, what's your problem with it? I thought they patched it to make it a heck of a lot nicer (thus the upgrade).

usea

Install it in a virtual xp installation. Using virtual pc or whatever the good virtualization software is these days. That way you don't have to worry about starforce fucking up your OS.

bee

if you install starforce 3 on vista 64 when you reboot you will find windows will fail to load :( and it needs to be removed in safe mode

the game also had a comedy installer where it checks how much free space is on c: before it asks you where you want to install it, so if you have say 3gb free it will say cant install, although there is regedit solution to this

Top Bottom