• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Cross Play with Sony- "[Sony] should talk about what their view is"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally.

That's what they're thinking. How can we fuck over our playerbase? Oh, I know, let's make their PS4 controller wear out after 3 months! Let's make the PS4 Pro burn MORE energy! Let's not allow cross-play! Great ideas, implement them. You know, to fuck the players.

It's not at all because they have business reasons behind their decisions. No, it's to fuck the players. Indeed.

Exactly. People do the same shit with Nintendo and it’s just silly as heck. No decision is purposely made with that intent. That’s not to say those decisions should be excused.

Sounds like the press is doing a good job by setting up Phil for an easy spike.

Press: Why no cross-play that's good for gamers?

Phil: We want it, Nintendo wants it, level headed gamers want it. Go ask Sony why they don't.

Sony Gaf: Why Phil keep bring up cross-play, we no want that.

Kolx

Exactly. People do the same shit with Nintendo and it's just silly as heck. No decision is purposely made with that intent.

Some of Nintendo decision are due to them being completely incompetent tho. Just like Sony with changing psn id.

For which part?
The DQX is me assuming since it's the only game since ffxi to have crossplay with another console
The 2nd part is just a possibiity and phrased as such.

About the DQX part. You phrased it as if it was a fact when it isn't.

zMiiChy-

Banned
People don't like Phil because he's a sanctimonious bullshit artist. He's against 3rd party exclusives, until he's for them, but then it's some other reason that it's bad for Sony to have exclusive things, but not for Xbox to have exclusive things. He's not flogging cross play because he's some warrior for consumer rights, he's flogging it because it's good for Xbox. If market positions were reversed he would feel the opposite way. He's a PR man selling his brand, and that's fine, but the Xbox fans who feel he's some kind of beacon of virtue of doing it gets old.
I don't like Phil Spencer at all; but regardless of what his motives are, the goal he is striving would be good for nearly everyone.

If Sony's lead in the industry is so fragile that they woud chose to ignore the rights of consumers and developers alike just to preserve it, then it wouldn't last anyways.

Not the graphics part of it, once that drops and once all the streamers start using it I'd imagine more PlayStation owners will be aware of it and maybe ask why there version doesn't look like that?

Fair enough. At that point, though, I'd recommend they sell off their PlayStation version and go and buy the superior version.

Once this starts hitting Sony in the wallet they'll have to respond. But until it does, this is the situation we're in. Eh.

sikkinixx

Sony: “hey Phil, maybe if you guys made some actual games you won’t need to beg for access to our huge user base for your users to play with”

Nialrot

What no? This isn't Phil being 'for the gamers' - this is about one business trying to shame another business into making a bad move.

There are 60 million playstation 4 systems out there for you to play with/again online. Sony don't need to do shit. Let's not forget this is also the guy who said he was against console exclusive content when Sony got dibs on all the Destiny goodies, then signed up a shit ton of their own console exclusives a few months later.

Won’t someone worry about little ole Sony and their feelings...

You must of been heartbroken when Sony ‘shamed’ Microsoft on its garbage DRM with that sharing ad they produced.

Seems like a huge non-issue, as both companies keep each other in check. Interviewers going to keep asking and I would assume he would keep answering. Cross-play should be something the consumers want.

So odd to see so much outrage on this subject.

I play my Xbox one solely for MP games b/c all my friends are there. If those games were cross-play, I'd most likely get them on PS4 or PC b/c of better graphics/ performance.

My friends and I have recently recreated a small group of people who play games online in our community, Muslims around Houston. We've been trying to arrange some online events but are obviously leaving some people out b/c they don't have a specific platform.

If a game was to have cross-play between all systems, it would be a blast and we'd be able to include everyone.

Even if Phil is just doing PR talking, trying to look like the good guy and make Sony look bad.

In the end, we as gamers benefit.

Tigress

Did Phil get asked about this AGAIN? It's like MS can't stop reminding us how they're the good guys every couple weeks on this.

They are a business. They are trying to make money. They are being the good guy in hopes of attracting more people to their platform. What is the point of being the good guy in order to get more people if you don't let people know you are the "good guy"?

Sure, there is the rare business that is teh good guy cause the owner really believes in that, but you are really naive if you think MS is one of those (They are only the good guys when they don't feel they are market leader). Even the few businesses that actually do things cause they or their owner believes in it still are loud about it partly because they truly believe in it and want to push that view and partly because it gets them sales.

So, not sure why you'd expect they wouldn't stop reminding people that they are the good guys.

Probably not on massive games. On games with smaller install bases, it would probably be very valuable.

Massive games will benefit by having better skill based matchmaking. You match with a percentage of the population, usually a small one, especially at the top of a game's ranking system. This would be fantastic for esports having console communities unified for things like Smite, Overwatch, and Rocket League.

Van Bur3n

It's good for all consumers to have cross play, case closed. It's good for everyone. Unless you're a stockholder, you should not think it's fine. Look out for yourself, who is a consumer, not a brand.

88hAVrb.gif

Sony: “hey Phil, maybe if you guys made some actual games you won’t need to beg for access to our huge user base for your users to play with”

Amazing. The War is real, lol.

In a sick kind of way it would be funny if MS brought back the party clause in a big way. I mean they are just looking out for themselves and their customers, right? Right?

Jmille99

You would think if the press cared this much about crossplay, they would be pushing Sony about it instead of bringing it up with Phil over and over again for the same responses.

Everyone seems to want it. So ask the business that doesnt want to implement it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Probably not on massive games. On games with smaller install bases, it would probably be very valuable.

Unless Xbox One gamers are exactly the userbase / have more people in percentage that those niche games are actually targeted to (but then you should see super good numbers on Xbox One which I am not sure the games you talk about have), you are talking about a small percentage of a much smaller userbase hence it would still not move the needle much.

Fair enough. At that point, though, I'd recommend they sell off their PlayStation version and go and buy the superior version.

Once this starts hitting Sony in the wallet they'll have to respond. But until it does, this is the situation we're in. Eh.

That might be the straw that brakes the camels back, maybe. Or else get it in a contract that PUBG has to be cross play on consoles, would Sony say no to that?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Phil gets asked in an interview about crossplay with Sony. Basically says, "I don't know, go ask Sony".

People complain that Phil keeps bringing it up.

Repeat.

I don't get it. I truly don't get it. They want him to lie and say "fantastic relationship with Sony but it is our fault"? Like what are people mad about? They asked him a question and he answered.

Scuffed

I think the decision by Sony made perfect sense. They get very little out of it. Maybe if Xbox gains on Sony and closes the gap they will reconsider.

It's good for all consumers to have cross play, case closed. It's good for everyone. Unless you're a stockholder, you should not think it's fine. Look out for yourself, who is a consumer, not a brand.

While I agree with the principal you also have to be reasonable. Is it reasonable to think that if you play a game on PS4 you should be able to play with people on Xbox? I might be influenced by the fact this industry has always been centred around console wars but I would never have that expectation, no doubting it would be a good thing just not something I would assume should be possible. As a consumer I would prefer games were half the price than they are currently but it isn't a reasonable expectation. A more hyperbolic example than asking for cross-play I admit but I assume the view from within Sony is that allowing cross-play devalues their product.

Just playing devil's advocate here because as a mostly SP guy I really have no horse in this race. In the end I think the question is right to be asked and I would have a lot more respect for Sony if they just came out and said "we're not doing it because we don't want to cede ground to our competition" because we all know that's what it's about for them.

Alebrije

Phil should be thinking how to bring good new IPs to Xbone plathform instead using crossplaing as a marketing tool.

Alebelly

Sounds like the press is doing a good job by setting up Phil for an easy spike.

Press: Why no cross-play that's good for gamers?

Phil: We want it, Nintendo wants it, level headed gamers want it. Go ask Sony why they don't.

Sony Gaf: Why Phil keep bring up cross-play, we no want that.

lol, sure I guess. If MS wants to path this path, then let them path it. Nothing theyve ever done gives me any confidence that they are operating outside their own self interest. Maybe Im wrong.

I play my Xbox one solely for MP games b/c all my friends are there. If those games were cross-play, I'd most likely get them on PS4 or PC b/c of better graphics/ performance.

My friends and I have recently recreated a small group of people who play games online in our community, Muslims around Houston. We've been trying to arrange some online events but are obviously leaving some people out b/c they don't have a specific platform.

If a game was to have cross-play between all systems, it would be a blast and we'd be able to include everyone.

Even if Phil is just doing PR talking, trying to look like the good guy and make Sony look bad.

In the end, we as gamers benefit.

For me it always feels like there's an elephant in the room, is playing cross platform really better than all the features you get on a single platform (parties/chat/invites etc.)?

I also bet the reason Phil wants to hear Sony say their reasons is that the one Sony rep that has said anything probably doesn't know the real reasons anyway.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You would think if the press cared this much about crossplay, they would be pushing Sony about it instead of bringing it up with Phil over and over again for the same responses.

Everyone seems to want it. So ask the business that doesnt want to implement it.
Now that's more like it. If you actually give a shit about crossplat, try putting some pressure on the source. Cause these weekly Phil quotes don't mean jack shit when you still bringin in that dough.

bryanee

Its pretty obvious what the Sony stance is on this even with the bs kid excuse. They'll allow it with PC but not with consoles.

Elandyll

Banned
Sigh.

In an ideal world, everybody would play nice with each other, but we're in no such world.

Sony sees 0 interest in opening their userbase to a competitor beyond the PC space, just like it is in both MS and Nintendo's interest to have Sony open their userbase for MP games population and possibly other reasons.

Debating it in the public sphere is a losing battle, so Sony won't engage in a public spat, but we also can see why it's in MS's interest to try and keep the debate up.

Now what would also be nice to know, is why MS, supposed champion of Xplay, pulled out of PC Xplay in Fortnite?

The funniest is that in yet another shining example of flagrant hypocrisy, Spencer said following the Sept 20th incident (Xplay activated in Fortnite BR between PC/ PS4/ XB1) that he would have "loved it if Epic had left it on", yet back in mid August Epic had to disable PC/ XB1 crossplay (patch 1.4) in the regular Fortnite mode (progression) as per "policy discussion with Microsoft".

ta155

I like Phil and crossplay would obviously be super cool, but he wouldn't be talking about it so much if he had some great first party games and stronger sales numbers to focus on instead.

lol, sure I guess. If MS wants to path this path, then let them path it. Nothing theyve ever done gives me any confidence that they are operating outside their own self interest. Maybe Im wrong.

Every business operates out of their own self interest. See Sony and lack of cross play.

Hugstable

Banned
well said

Phil should be thinking how to bring good new IPs to Xbone plathform instead using crossplaing as a marketing tool.

Lol it's funny to keep seeing some trot out this same line, when it's not even relevant to the topic at hand. How dare he answer questions asked of him

Makes it easy to pinpoint who the worst fanboys are though I guess

"My first party line-up sucks so I'm gonna talk about this cross-play thingy"

Oh hey look, another one

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

lol.. RoyalFool

Kinyou

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.
lol! You can't be serious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom