• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Raysoul

Depends on where in Osaka you're staying and if you got an JR Pass already

We didn't get the JR pass as we will only explore Kansai. We already checked our options and it seems getting the Kansai Thru pass is the best for the days that we will be exploring Kyoto. We will be staying near Chidoribashi station.

We didn't get the JR pass as we will only explore Kansai. We already checked our options and it seems getting the Kansai Thru pass is the best for the days that we will be exploring Kyoto. We will be staying near Chidoribashi station.

The cheapest option would be to get a Keihan 2 day Kyoto-Osaka pass + 2x 1 day Bus pass in Kyoto.

Kansai Thru pass might be slightly more convenient if it's your first time in Kyoto though.

Rydeen

How essential is owning a car in Japan?

Is bike and public transit enough to go around (again staying at Sasebo)
Not essential at all unless you live way out in the country. Every major city and town has multiple train systems, subway systems and lines, and local and express trains for the suburbs. Most people either just use the rail system or ride a bike.

Sir Doom

Not essential at all unless you live way out in the country. Every major city and town has multiple train systems, subway systems and lines, and local and express trains for the suburbs. Most people either just use the rail system or ride a bike.

thanks. I might just a bike for now then.

Was pretty impressed with Shimokitazawa. With a large group out here and hadn't heard of anyone going out there so I checked it out solo tonight... quiet, hip neighborhood with some trendy bars and clothing shops.

KillGore

So I'll be staying in Japan for 19 days and I wanted your opinion. Should I get a 14 day JR Pass or a 21 day? This is how my schedule looks

Tokyo - 8-11
Nagano (Tokyo side-trip)- 12
Osaka - 13-14
Nara (Osaka side-trip) - 15
Kyoto - 16-17
Nagoya (Kyto side-trip)- 18
Miyajima- 19
Tokyo - 20-24
Hakone (Tokyo side-trip)- 25
Nikko (Tokyo side-trip)- 26

14 day us $398 and 21 day is $509

thoughts? Mike? anyone?

I'll be arriving and leaving via Narita airport. If I get the 14 day pass I would activate it when going to Osaka via Shinkansen and would have to move my trip to Nagano for when I return to Tokyo.

One last thing, are the prices shown on google maps semi-accurate? Also, those prices are for 1 way ticket?

So I'll be staying in Japan for 19 days and I wanted your opinion. Should I get a 14 day JR Pass or a 21 day? This is how my schedule looks

Tokyo - 8-11
Nagano (Tokyo side-trip)- 12
Osaka - 13-14
Nara (Osaka side-trip) - 15
Kyoto - 16-17
Nagoya (Kyto side-trip)- 18
Miyajima- 19
Tokyo - 20-24
Hakone (Tokyo side-trip)- 25
Nikko (Tokyo side-trip)- 26

14 day us $398 and 21 day is $509

thoughts? Mike? anyone?

I'll be arriving and leaving via Narita airport. If I get the 14 day pass I would activate it when going to Osaka via Shinkansen and would have to move my trip to Nagano for when I return to Tokyo.

One last thing, are the prices shown on google maps semi-accurate? Also, those prices are for 1 way ticket?

Since you have 15 days after the first Tokyo trip, I would go for the 21 day pass. If you moved that Nikko trip to between the 20th and 24th, you might be able to get away with a 14 day pass but since it covers JR regular trains I don't see the harm in just going for the 21 day and keeping your current plans.

Lego Boss

Can anyone tell me if you can use the Suica card on Tokyo monorail? It seems as if it is privately owned, but I have a card from my last visit and would prefer to use that.

Also, can you use the Suica in Osaka or is their seperate card only valid there?

Thanks for any replies.

thoughts? Mike? anyone?

Get a 14 day one if you can. And the prices on google maps are accurate, yes.

Can anyone tell me if you can use the Suica card on Tokyo monorail? It seems as if it is privately owned, but I have a card from my last visit and would prefer to use that.

Also, can you use the Suica in Osaka or is their seperate card only valid there?

Thanks for any replies.

You can use the suica for both. If you're also visiting Kobe, Hiroshima or Miyajima, a lot of stuff only takes Icoca though.

So I'm going to arrive at Narita and check out some stores in akihabara and shinjuku before heading to my destination, which is Nagoya. I thought getting a hotel near those stores would be good. That way, I can take a nice rest, leave my luggage at the hotel while shopping, then return to the hotel for my luggage and check out, then grab a train to Nagoya maybe the next morning.

Any good suggestions for a relatively cheap hotel near akihabara or shinjuku? I don't need luxury, but I would like my own room, bed, and hell, a hot tub would be nice if that's normal. Ya know, like a typical hotel in the US. Also, if anyone knows, when is checkout typically? I'm not sure if I'll make it to the shops the first day depending on when I arrive exactly and how much I'll sleep.

Any good suggestions for a relatively cheap hotel near akihabara or shinjuku? I don't need luxury, but I would like my own room, bed, and hell, a hot tub would be nice if that's normal. Ya know, like a typical hotel in the US. Also, if anyone knows, when is checkout typically? I'm not sure if I'll make it to the shops the first day depending on when I arrive exactly and how much I'll sleep.

Just find any hotel close to the Chuo line between Shinjuku and Akihabara, like near Ochanomizu or in Shinjuku itself there should be a lot of business hotels. Normal checkout time is 11 (sometimes 10), but most places can hold you luggage for you before/after check-in.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. One last question, can I activate my JR Pass at Narita airport?

Yes, but there's usually queues, so it's faster to do it elsewhere.

danowat

Banned
Yes, but there's usually queues, so it's faster to do it elsewhere.

Unless you want to use the N'ex!

Pro tip, don't, like I have done, straddle your trip between a 14 and 21 day JR Pass, I had to make the decision to get the 14 day one and saddle the cost of the first and last couple of days, or swallow a 21 day one.

The difference in price was only about £40 in the end (between 14 day and paying for the other trips or 21 day), but I went for 21 day in the end for ease.

Nearly £800 on train passes........sheessh.......

Thanks for the hotel tips.

About the train passes, last time I was in Japan, the subway train pass also worked for meitetsu travel, but maybe not the jr. Is there not a universal card for all train services?

I'll be traveling around Nagoya, the most of which is the standard subway line, but I might go to Osaka and Fukui for a day while there. Also, as I said earlier, I'll be taking the train from Narita airport to Tokyo and then from Tokyo to Nagoya a little later. Is there a recommended pass or should I just pay as I go?

Thanks again guys!

TCRS

Banned
man I'm jelly of you guys stying 2-3 weeks.. :/

oh well better 1 week than nothing. and then maybe in 25 years again :)

question: where do car enthusiasts go in tokyo? any good museums? most of the car manufacturers are outside of tokyo..

Nissan hq is nearby which I'm planning on visiting. I also currently drive a Nissan so that's nice I guess :)

Um... What's your itinerary look like? And what airports are you arriving at and leaving from?

I'm arriving in Narita at 2:25pm
Going to go out on a limb and assume I'm going to feel wrecked from the flight... But, I might not. Thankfully, it's a straight shot from Dallas, and a 13 hour flight. I've had worse.

If I'm feeling fresh, I might get to Tokyo, grab a hotel near Akihabara, take a shower, maybe a short nap, get out and check out some stores, get some food, and spend the night in the hotel. The next day, I'd check out in the morning and head to Nagoya. This is probably the ideal plan.

But if I'm completely beat, I might turn into the hotel, sleep, refresh completely. Next day, run some shops and... well it seems like if I wait too long, I may as well stay for a second day, especially if I have to check out by 11am. Anything else worth doing in Tokyo? I'm not much for touristy type stuff. I just want to hit up these board game stores:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=35.699298567843705,139.7753137669647&z=15

And will probably run into other interesting things while doing it.

First option sounds pretty good though, as long as these stores are open till.. I dunno.. 8 or 9? I could probably get a rest in and feel good enough to go out.

Once I go to Nagoya, I don't have any set plans other than hanging out with friends I used to work with. I'm leaving on the 1st, so on the days between getting into Nagoya, and hanging out with pals, I definitely want to go to that legendary Dinosaur Museum in Fukui, which isn't too far. I may also like to go to that awesome Aquarium in Osaka again, and may revisit Den Den town while I'm at it which I can do in the Aquarium trip out.

So after coming into Nagoya, I may take 2 or 3 trips a couple hours out to see some sights.

Haven't looked into it yet, but if they aren't too far, might want to see that town full of dolls and any town full of hordes of animals, like deer or monkeys or anything like that, heh.

edit: OH.. And what's the best way to have phone service in Japan? My situation is, my pregnant girlfriend wants to be able to text or call me at any moment, should something unexpected come up. Is the best option to get her a phone card to be able to... call my friend's phone? Or can I pick up a pre-pay phone in Japan and receive international calls from the US via phone card? I had expected there would be some kind of prepay phone you can buy at best buy or walmart, made for vacation travel, but I haven't seen any such thing. Verizon, my carrier, has some international plan, 10 bucks a day, but my primitive phone isn't compatible, apparently.

You need to list all the dates and what airport you're leaving from if you want help :p

Can't your girlfriend call your friend directly from whatever phone she got?

The cheapest if you want to habe your own phone in Japan would be if your friend bought one in their name. Otherwise you need to mess around with international sim cards or rent a phone. You're not allowed to buy a phone with contract or a call enabled sim card yourself in Japan.

Oh, and if by text you mean sms, then it might not work at all depending on what network her phone uses and what network whatever phone you're using in Japan is on since Japanese sms operator networks aren't compatible with eachother. Everybody uses either email or some kind of chat program like Line on their phones instead of sms.

The airport I'm leaving from?

Well I'm leaving from Cleveland Hopkins Airport at 7:28am to Dallas, and the Dallas to Narita flight is at 10:50am, arriving at 2:25pm.

Leaving Japan on April 1st at 2:50pm from Nagoya airport.

I don't need a hotel while staying in Nagoya. I'm staying with a friend. Just looking for a place for a night or two initially in Tokyo before heading out to Nagoya.

As for the train pass.. well. I'm not sure the dates I'm planning on doing those things. Probably between the 25th and the 29th, but again I could do them sooner or later if it meant getting a specific deal on a pass if there's an optimal time to do so.

Thanks again for the help.

Oh, sorry! I'm leaving on the 20th and arriving on the 21st.

Since you're going from Tokyo to Nagoya, and are visiting both Fukui and Osaka you should get a 7 day JR Pass. You could activate it on the 21st when you arrive in Tokyo so you could also take the NEX from Narita to Tokyo. You would then have to go to both Osaka and Fukui by the 27th. If you decide not to go to either Osaka or Fukui, just 1 of them instead of both, then it's not worth buying the JR Pass.

It might be too late to order a JR Pass online and get it shipped to your location, but you're lucky since they have a trial for selling them in Japan now, so you can buy one at Narita airport. Any earlier month and you'd be SOL.

Lego Boss

OK everyone, here's a challenge for you:

My daughter is making her first holy communion and needs to go to (Catholic) church during Lent and especially Easter Sunday.

Does anyone know of a Catholic Church in or near central Osaka?

OK everyone, here's a challenge for you:

My daughter is making her first holy communion and needs to go to (Catholic) church during Lent and especially Easter Sunday.

Does anyone know of a Catholic Church in or near central Osaka?

Not Catholic and haven't been to Osaka yet but this one looks like it would be easy to get to.

JEKKI

grrr... just spent like 8 days in Japan, using a 3GB sim card from econnect;

I had to top that thing off like twice! costed me over $25 extra!!

too much Pokemon Go!!

I dont like pocket wifis; I dont like carrying around an extra device, they never seem to work everywhere, especially in underground subways, and I remember not being able to reliably use instagram,

but may have to consider them for the next trip just to have unlimited... who knew 3GB would be used up in like 5/6 days...

Mairu

grrr... just spent like 8 days in Japan, using a 3GB sim card from econnect;

I had to top that thing off like twice! costed me over $25 extra!!

too much Pokemon Go!!

I dont like pocket wifis; I dont like carrying around an extra device, they never seem to work everywhere, especially in underground subways, and I remember not being able to reliably use instagram,

but may have to consider them for the next trip just to have unlimited... who knew 3GB would be used up in like 5/6 days...

I use the pocket wifis from GAC each time, but I use a ton of data. It's expensive, but I've found them to be reliable, fast, and I definitely take advantage of the unlimited data (one week and a half trip I used like 60GB)

I use the pocket wifis from GAC each time, but I use a ton of data. It's expensive, but I've found them to be reliable, fast, and I definitely take advantage of the unlimited data (one week and a half trip I used like 60GB)

How the hell are you using that much data while traveling? I make sure to do any video or podcast downloading on hotel WiFi. I've never come close to hitting a data cap.

So I'm thinking of purchasing the pocket wifi from here https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/common-questions/how-to-use-pocket-wifi

any thoughts? Also getting the JR pass from them

They're just a middleman service for Global Advanced Comm for pocket WiFi.

How the hell are you using that much data while traveling? I make sure to do any video or podcast downloading on hotel WiFi. I've never come close to hitting a data cap.

I've been in Japan for 1 month+ and not even used 10GB myself :p

JEKKI

aw man, I remembered tho that pocket wifi charges per day.

So my sim cost me about 5300Y after tax, topped up twice at 1800 and 1200, so total was 8300Y. Gotta make sure to note this next time comparing the cost, coz data cap aside I am genuinely happy with the service.

Pokemon Go! you can hatch 5KM eggs no problem in Japan with all the walking yo do! lol.

but also I spent 2 days in Nagoya with unreliable wifi so I was reliant on my phone while resting there, including using it as a hotspot so I can browse on my tablet. Pretty sure that was a big contributor to hitting my cap too.

man I'm jelly of you guys stying 2-3 weeks.. :/

oh well better 1 week than nothing. and then maybe in 25 years again :)

question: where do car enthusiasts go in tokyo? any good museums? most of the car manufacturers are outside of tokyo..

Nissan hq is nearby which I'm planning on visiting. I also currently drive a Nissan so that's nice I guess :)

The History Garage in Odaiba is probably the easiest and best place to access on foot. It's operated by Toyota but isn't limited to Toyota products or even JDM products. But other than that it might actually be hard to get to a lot of the good places by public transport. Most of the big showrooms near train lines like mega web are just focused on the current lineups of boring people movers. If you have access to a car then everything opens up a lot more. You can go to Daikoku Futo on a weekend night and see who shows up. You can go and check out some tuning shops, although that is pretty hit and miss if you get somewhere that will actually be worth going to just to see. Wander around in Autobacs or Up Garage!

But really what you need to find out is if there are any specific events while you are there. Odaiba often has car shows, along with Minato Mirai in Yokohama. Or if you are cool with spending at least a day on it, head out to Nikko Circuit or Fuji Speedway. The Honda museum at Motegi is great. It just depends on what is going on.

Edit: for events, it can be difficult to find a good comprehensive list in English of what's going on. My recommendation would be to go to speedhunters.com, and search for posts by Dino Dalle Carbonare that were written around the time you will be in Japan, just from last year or the year before. That should give you some ideas about what kinds of events get held when.

I am thinking right now to go to the Japan F1 GP in October. Suzuka is pretty much in the middle between Osaka and Tokio.

Any brainstorming ideas of interesting places there? Would also work out pretty nicely with the GAF's Trip.

Well, I could. Though I don't know if the place would justify a week. The alternative would be moving to Tokyo after the GP and going crazy with a Japan Rail Pass.

Could do day trips to the Shima peninsula, Inuyama to check out the castle, Kiso valley, maybe even Takayama and check out Moricoro Park in Nagakute as well. :p

Top Bottom