• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I would buy it directly from the site of the maker.

I don't think I can take the plunge yet.

RS4-

Until it stops working.

Only one I'd consider is the Crossover. Going to wait on reviews for the Overlord.

iceatcs

Oh that, I remember my friend always big head about it. He still waiting for his order to arrive. I will ask him if it arrive yet because it have been about 4 weeks.

Weenerz

Banned
I have the Catleap, works great. I got ripped off though, got the "pixel perfect" and it had 1 stuck pixel at the bottom, it's red and anything that is dark, I see it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I have the Catleap, works great. I got ripped off though, got the "pixel perfect" and it had 1 stuck pixel at the bottom, it's red and anything that is dark, I see it.

might be a dumb question but have you tried unsticking it? theres vids on youtube that you can run fullscreen to try and do that.

Ceebs

Would be nice to see some real-world photos of these things...

I would take a few, but my shitty phone camera does it no justice.

As for the one that Microcenter sells, it has multiple inputs and a built in scaler so you end up with some input lag. It's only a concern if you are playing games on it though.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Hmm. I'll check it out, but to be honest, I have way too much Korean crap in my place.

entremet

Hmm. I'll check it out, but to be honest, I have way too much Korean crap in my place.

Yeah, crazy how LG/Samsung have totally owned the former Japanese powerhouses--Sony, Sharp, Panasonic in the CE space.

Even OEMs use Korean tech, such as Apple for their displays.

sgjackson

Is there any major difference in display quality between brands, or is the only difference the stand? A few friends asked me what kind of monitor they should get on a budget and I recommended these, but I don't know much about the specifics between them.

iceatcs

Oh that, I remember my friend always big head about it. He still waiting for his order to arrive. I will ask him if it arrive yet because it have been about 4 weeks.

I got replied from him. He got it after 3 weeks shipping. Quite long time but at least he seem happy.

Yeah, crazy how LG/Samsung have totally owned the former Japanese powerhouses--Sony, Sharp, Panasonic in the CE space.

Even OEMs use Korean tech, such as Apple for their displays.
I think Apple will not doing LG/Samsung any more after iPhone 5. Sharp/Japan Display will doing that.

kruskev

I got replied from him. He got it after 3 weeks shipping. Quite long time but at least he seem happy.

I think Apple will not doing LG/Samsung any more after iPhone 5. Sharp/Japan Display will doing that.

they are going to continue using LG

entremet

Is there any major difference in display quality between brands, or is the only difference the stand? A few friends asked me what kind of monitor they should get on a budget and I recommended these, but I don't know much about the specifics between them.

It's the same display, IIRC. Like all LCDs they start as big sheets and are then cut down to single SKUs. I heard they all come from the same source. LG I believe. I could be wrong, tho.

Ceebs

The stand and bezel/enclosure. The Crossover feels very sturdy and uses a white metal back and glossy black for the bezel.

The stand is kinda meh, but it does work and is pretty solid. Tilt only though. I have a replacement on the way from Monoprice since I need to be able to rotate it a bit.

Wow this are pretty cheap for what they are, might be finally time to upgrade my Dell 24" from 2005, though im afraid that my PC wont be able to handle that resolution in games, dont want to invest in a beefier PC at the same time.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

What the hell is up with the ebay prices? They were getting down close to $300 a couple months ago.

Edit: guess it's just Catleap. Well fuck them unless they're bringing 120hz back.

Price and demand most likely, they can afford to charge more if they are selling like hotcakes.

Ceebs

For the poster that wanted some pics: (someone with a real camera can do much better)

img_20120911_153618fqus1.jpg

img_20120911_153642ywuqc.jpg

sgjackson

The stand and bezel/enclosure. The Crossover feels very sturdy and uses a white metal back and glossy black for the bezel.

The stand is kinda meh, but it does work and is pretty solid. Tilt only though. I have a replacement on the way from Monoprice since I need to be able to rotate it a bit.

If I think the stand isn't up to snuff which one are you looking at on Monoprice?

coldfoot

Banned
I would take a few, but my shitty phone camera does it no justice.

As for the one that Microcenter sells, it has multiple inputs and a built in scaler so you end up with some input lag. It's only a concern if you are playing games on it though.

Everyone says this, yet I have not heard a single report from ANYONE complaining about input lag on the versions with multiple inputs.

what are the chances of getting 120hz on these units and is input lag single digits ms? I will not part with my fw900 unless these questions are answered with yes

Gav47

I got my Crossover about 2 months ago, colour reproduction is much better than my last monitor and the screen real estate is fantastic. I got mine from accessorieswhole on eBay.

mxgt

Banned
I love my Catleap, I advise replacing the DVI cable that comes with it with a decent one ASAP though. Mine died within a week and I thought it was the screen. Replaced it with a good quality cable and no problems since. Colours and picture quality is fantastic.

And mine is glossy, glossy is great.

Pic from my man cave. (it's dark here so best I can do) To the left is a 22" monitor and above is a 32" TV so you get an idea of the size.

20120911_215517otsvc.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
I'm unable to tell the difference between the monitor versions?
X270SE: regular monitor with just DVI dual link input, no scaler so it will only accept a 2560x1440 signal.
X270ME: regular monitor with HDMI/DisplayPort/DVI/VGA inputs and built in scaler/OSD.
X270OC: X270SE overclocked to 120hz.

tokkun

There are two companies that claim to sell "A" grade panels: Nixeus and Overlord. All of the Korean companies sell "A-" grade panels. The monitors for the the large US companies like Apple and HP use "A+" grade panels. Grade aside, they are the same panel, although some people do different things like using a tempered glass overlay or a an anti-glare coating.

The difference in grade is basically related to the probability that the panel will have some sort of defect, like stuck/dead pixels or uniformity issues.

What's the backstory here? Why are people buying monitors from another country? What is S-IPS?

People are buying from another country because they are filling a niche that doesn't exist here: cut-rate high-resolution monitors that keep prices low by using lower grade panels, no OSD, no fancy features, limited inputs, cheap stand/housing, no direct customer service, and very low marketing costs.

There are a lot of caveats, but the price is 1/2 to 1/3 of what the large US companies are charging, and for a lot of people that is a better bargain.

MrBig

Have had a Crossover for a few months. It's such an amazing monitor. Perfectly vibrant color reproduction when calibrated, and no disgusting AG coating. By far the best quality panel I've ever used.

ibmDgy4FIEX9UQ.jpg

I have the Crossover one with multiple inputs so I can connect my PS3/360/Wii and PC to it. Bought it from Accessories Whole on eBay.

Calmine

It is weird how I've only just started looking into these monitors and now I'm reading stories about them everywhere.

For anyone is interested you can in fact overclock certain models to achieve 100-120Hz refresh rate, depending on your graphics card.

Of course with these they are pop luck on the quality unless it's a pixel perfect one but for those who are interested in a 27" WQHD IPS 120Hz monitor then take a look at www.120hz.net they sell them.

kehs

Banned
How are you guys dealing with the resolution/scaling for icons (specifically adobe suite)?

Is it manageable?

i've heard about these panels, but i'm doing ok with my 23" eips dell for now. I want to make the leap to 27"-30" as i find my 23 getting smaller by the day. How long do you expect these monitors to survive for?

Amagon

I have the Crossover one with multiple inputs so I can connect my PS3/360/Wii and PC to it. Bought it from Accessories Whole on eBay.

Is it the one that is going for $650 atm? I would to get that monitor so I can too, hook up the consoles but that is alot of money for additional inputs.

tokkun

So how are the colours on this thing?

The reviews on Korean language sites tended to show a lot of calibration issues; gamma in particular was pretty bad out of the box on a lot of them, so I would recommend buying/renting/borrowing a colorimeter if you do not already own one.

There also seemed to be some issues with color uniformity, but that seems to be pretty typical of IPS technology these days, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom