• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War passes 4 million (?)

909er

I don't know the validity(since it's a Japanese site reporting Xbox news) or if this has already been posted, but apparently Gears of War passes the 4 million mark.

http://www.gearsofwarzone.com/news/031307a.html

Game Developers Conferenceの中でMicrosoftは、Gears of Warのワールドワイドでの販売枚数が400万枚を突破したと発表しました。発売から4ヶ月弱での400万達成となり、Halo、Halo 2に次ぐ大ヒット作となっています。

So yeah, 4 million in 4 monthes. Nice.

Cruceh said:
I have a 360 and I don't have Gears.
1169744003306xs2.jpg

That's why.

moku said:
Thanks Guito.

ruining my fun damn you
cabavatar.jpg

rage1973

909er said:
So, when do you all think it'll hit 5 million? And is 6 million possible?
I have a feeling it will end up slightly over 5 million unless Microsoft chooses to release a Platinum version at a discount price.

909er

Note that as of the end of January, GoW has sold about 2.45 million between Japan and the US (the only for sure numbers with some validity). So assuming it sold another 200,000 or so in Feb., that would mean that 1.3 million or so of the sales come from PAL and the other minor territories. So, is that good for an Xbox 360 game in Europe?

goldenpp72

I think gears might slowly crawl to a good 6 million in its life (double my original prediction) once it goes platinum and the demo goes up. Obviously this is a far off number, but I imagine halo 3 will stop gears from selling as much as it is.

duk

Banned
It'll hit 6m over its life no problem. Imagine when the game drops to 29.99 or how about an xmas bundle with the game.

rage1973

909er said:
Note that as of the end of January, GoW has sold about 2.45 million between Japan and the US (the only for sure numbers with some validity). So assuming it sold another 200,000 or so in Feb., that would mean that 1.3 million or so of the sales come from PAL and the other minor territories. So, is that good for an Xbox 360 game in Europe?
I have played a good number of games against British, French, Spanish, Mexicans and Australians so I think GOW is getting decent numbers from all around the world.

909er

apotema said:
2 millions in the US + 0 in Japan + ??? in Europe..... yeah right 4 millions

I added the drop in the bucket 50,000 from Japan because I knew what it was. The US number is like 2.4 mil.

FrankT

apotema said:
2 millions in the US + 0 in Japan + ??? in Europe..... yeah right 4 millions

Dude it was over 3 million like at least a month and a half or so ago if I recall. So yea, 4 million easy. Awesome sales for a sweet game.

Firestorm

Even I broke into the hype and bought it (although 3 months late). I'm not a fan of overly-violent games but meh, had to see what the fuss was all about.

SeatBelts said:
That's 1-2 more million people who will be utterly disappointed by this hyped to hell and back game.
i get it. you didn't like it and wish there wasn't a sequel.

you do know that most people don't agree with you though right?

i checked your post history to see where you are coming from and you said that super mario galaxy looked more like 'a mini game'.

this isn't an insult:

your tastes in game are not close to normal.

909er said:
I don't know the validity(since it's a Japanese site reporting Xbox news) or if this has already been posted, but apparently Gears of War passes the 4 million mark.

http://www.gearsofwarzone.com/news/031307a.html

Game Developers Conferenceの中でMicrosoftは、Gears of Warのワールドワイドでの販売枚数が400万枚を突破したと発表しました。発売から4ヶ月弱での400万達成となり、Halo、Halo 2に次ぐ大ヒット作となっています。

So yeah, 4 million in 4 monthes. Nice.

Are you sure it's not a deal? Buy 4 Xbox 360s for $400 with any purchase of Halo 2 or Gears of War?

Make it so

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
PhoenixDark said:
Are you sure it's not a deal? Buy 4 Xbox 360s for $400 with any purchase of Halo 2 or Gears of War?

Make it so

400万 means 4mil

909er

PhoenixDark said:

Make it so

Well seeing as how I'm fluent in the language, I doubt I'd make that mistake. Especially since enough ppl here know some Japanese and would be calling my BS in minutes.

Flyguy

morph said:
No way near 4m unless every single 360 owner in Europe bought a copy.

It's sold more than 2 million in the US, and probably another 200,000 in Canada and a couple hundred thousand in other regions. A couple hundred thousand doesn't sound like a lot, but a couple hundred thousand here and there adds up to the total LTD of Resistance.

SeatBelts

Banned
plagiarize said:
i get it. you didn't like it and wish there wasn't a sequel.

you do know that most people don't agree with you though right?

i checked your post history to see where you are coming from and you said that super mario galaxy looked more like 'a mini game'.

this isn't an insult:

your tastes in game are not close to normal.

Wish there wasn't a sequel? eh? sorry I don't wish evil upon pixels.

P.S stop checking my post history

Flyguy said:
It's sold more than 2 million in the US, and probably another 200,000 in Canada and a couple hundred thousand in other regions. A couple hundred thousand doesn't sound like a lot, but a couple hundred thousand here and there adds up to the total LTD of Resistance.
that's a cheapshot :(

Resistance isn't going to sell as fast because the PS3 install base is still growing. Halo didn't sell a whole bunch all at once.

Resistance isn't going to sell what Halo sold but it's going to sell in the seven digit range eventually.

if it doesn't, there's no justice. Killzone managed to sell millions and it isn't remotely as good a game.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
SeatBelts said:
Wish there wasn't a sequel? eh? sorry I don't wish evil upon pixels.

P.S stop checking my post history

P.S. stop trolling..

Draft

Flyguy said:
:lol :lol :lol

Flyguy

plagiarize said:
that's a cheapshot :(

Resistance isn't going to sell as fast because the PS3 install base is still growing. Halo didn't sell a whole bunch all at once.

Resistance isn't going to sell what Halo sold but it's going to sell in the seven digit range eventually.

if it doesn't, there's no justice. Killzone managed to sell millions and it isn't remotely as good a game.

Guilty. I shouldn't have done it, but Gears trolls really get my ire up.

909er

morph said:
It certainly doesn't sound like a couple of million.

Alright, lets do some math. Now, since it says it was announced at GDC, it would have to include Feb sales. In the US, that's probably gonna be 200,000 (assumptions, I know). Up to January, it was 2.4 mil in the US, so that's 2.6 mil in the US. Add that 200,000 from Canada, that 2.8 mil. Probably between all the non Europe zones and Japan, that's probably put it at 3 million. Is it that much of a stretch to believe it sold 1 million in Europe total?

Top Bottom