• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

that can actually legitimately get you booked

While I doubt that if the wheels came to a complete stop, I don't think less than a second is enough time to determine if it's safe to proceed or not. Stop signs are there due to obstructed vision or reduced visibility, and I think if you're taking off less than a second after you stopped, given human reaction time and having to actually move you foot, this tells me that the driver didn't have a proper look.

I think 3 seconds is a rule of thumb, not a road rule. However, I believe it would take about 3 seconds, at the least, from the time the vehicle stops until it begins to move on if the driver had a proper look in both directions (not counting if they need to creep forward to improve their line of sight, which I have to do before leaving my street).

Deeku

It's situational. If it's one of those roads that you actually need to physically turn your head both sides to look, yeah 3 seconds even if it's quiet. But some roads you can easily scan both sides like a few metres before stopping, therefore requiring less stationary time.

More driving discussion! Do you trust other drivers' indicators when entering a round-a-bout? I certainly don't! So many times there are people that decide to change their mind the last second and then you're screwed:/

i dont think its the road rules, but if you do less than 3 seconds you fail the test

as good as a road rule...
lol

I think you also fail, or get points deducted, if you don't turn your head around to look behind you when reversing.

Still on my L plates =/ Superest of super conservative drivers.

Deek: ugh, no. No one seems to know how to indicate. People turning off without indicating, or even worse when they do indicate to turn off and I go but they don't turn off. Oh, and when there are two lanes and you sit in the left hand lane waiting, and the guy in the right hand lane stops riiiiight in your field of vision of the roundabout.

Fredescu

More driving discussion! Do you trust other drivers' indicators when entering a round-a-bout? I certainly don't! So many times there are people that decide to change their mind the last second and then you're screwed:/
Some people indicate to enter the roundabout which doesn't make sense. I have a feeling people may have been taught this in the early days of roundabouts, but having someone indicate left and then going straight through has caused near misses in the past. I try not to trust the indicators, but when it's a really busy roundabout and there aren't many openings, it feels like you have to take a punt.

Danoss

i dont think its the road rules, but if you do less than 3 seconds you fail the test

as good as a road rule...

I think they can take that as not properly checking if it's safe to enter the road, rather than a time condition.

It's situational. If it's one of those roads that you actually need to physically turn your head both sides to look, yeah 3 seconds even if it's quiet. But some roads you can easily scan both sides like a few metres before stopping, therefore requiring less stationary time.

What about pedestrians? What about cars that might be travelling on the wrong side of the road? Cars that might be speeding and reduce your chance of entering safely? I don't think you can determine whether it's safe to proceed based on these and other factors in less than a second, especially since the reason that a stop sign is there is because visibility is poor.

On roundabouts, they're terrible. I've been hit twice on my motorcycle entering or on a roundabout because people don't look. When I was on the roundabout, I did a good enough job of avoiding the person entering almost t-boning me that might front wheel was only lightly tapped; no damage, and I wasn't knocked over. When I was entering, I was waiting for the roundabout to clear before entering, I got cleaned up from behind, sent into the roundabout on my side. That last one could've happened anywhere as clearly they weren't even watching in front of them.

That last accident could be caused by pre-scanning the intersection before arriving in it, so be careful Deek. It's great to be aware of what may be entering towards your part of the road, but have a thorough look after you stop, not before.

Some people indicate to enter the roundabout which doesn't make sense. I have a feeling people may have been taught this in the early days of roundabouts, but having someone indicate left and then going straight through has caused near misses in the past. I try not to trust the indicators, but when it's a really busy roundabout and there aren't many openings, it feels like you have to take a punt.

You do have to indicate when entering a roundabout, but only if you are turning right or left. The 'indicate when exiting a roundabout, unless it is impractical to do so' confuses a lot of people, because they're stupid. My brother is an example, he understood the rule perfectly. but he'd go out of his way to indicate when exiting a roundabout, creating much difficulty for himself to keep the car under control to do so. He had a lot of work to do to fully grasp the 'unless it is impractical to do so' part. I won't get in the car with him, not because he's unsafe, but because he's so terrible he makes it unsafe.

I don't indicate on exit on my motorcycle because it's impractical all the time.

Sweet jesus I hate people not indicating. On roundabouts or anywhere. It's literally the effort of extending your finger. And still people don't do it.

Fredescu

You do have to indicate when entering a roundabout, but only if you are turning right or left. The 'indicate when exiting a roundabout, unless it is impractical to do so' confuses a lot of people, because they're stupid.
Yeah, basically you indicate the direction you're going to exit. I'm talking about people who indicate left to enter the roundabout regardless of which direction they're planning on heading in. Those people do exist and years and years ago I heard it as a rule, although I'm not sure if it was ever officially one.

Danoss

Sweet jesus I hate people not indicating. On roundabouts or anywhere. It's literally the effort of extending your finger. And still people don't do it.

The thing is if you toot or yell at many of these people, they will give you the finger. Ironically, giving you the finger requires far more effort than indicating in the first place.

Yeah, basically you indicate the direction you're going to exit. I'm talking about people who indicate left to enter the roundabout regardless of which direction they're planning on heading in. Those people do exist and years and years ago I heard it as a rule, although I'm not sure if it was ever officially one.

Oh yeah, I know what you meant. I hate it too, because I see it all the time and different moronic interpretations of it. It is a rule, but an optional one. It has fucked up roundabouts so royally that they should remove it entirely.

Yeah I've heard that from a mate only a few years ago. I told him it was stupid and I still don't do it. It just ads unnecessary confusion.
Indicating off I've started to do lately. Mainly because because of people who don't indicate at all, I feel like adding that bit of extra notice to other drivers can't hurt.

Rezbit

As a Tasmanian I know that feel. Still haven't decided what's worse, driving Melbourne or Hobart. Melbourne is white-knuckle, everyone speeding, quick or the dead driving, Hobart is "Yeah I'm gonna drive where I want, at whatever speed, won't bother indicating, problem?"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest pet peeve are people who take the "turn right" arrow at an intersection a few couple of seconds after it has turned red. Yes, asshole, you can make it through, but you hold up the other side, which is already backed way up and only has about ten seconds of green time.

THIS IS A PROBLEM, MELBOURNE

Choc

Banned
Will be interesting to see if this is replicated in AU

UK Voice fails in ratings

"The Voice’s audience on Saturday was down a MILLION on the previous week, leaving Simon Cowell’s BGT nearly two million ahead."

"An insider said: “The Voice originally sold itself as being the ‘nice’ talent show and viewers loved that when it was coupled with the drama of the spinning chairs during the blind auditions. But once the show moved into its live stage, a lot of viewers have tired of it and criticised the coaches for being too nice to singers who just aren’t that great."

Sound familiar?

Be careful Channel Nine.

Fredescu

It is a rule, but an optional one. It has fucked up roundabouts so royally that they should remove it entirely.
The optional rule is 'on exit' not 'on entry'. I indicate on exit sometimes, but not very often. Only when I think it might be useful.

Danoss

I wish more people rode motorcycles, I think the road would be a much safer place to be. Ride a motorcycle for any length of time and you quickly realise how life-threatening many of the actions taken by motorists (often referred to as 'cagers' in the motorcyclist community) really are.

People on our roads are oblivious, selfish, or uncaring cunts. I'll frequently see people make a mistake on the road, like being in the wrong lane, and then inconvenience or endanger other drivers whilst correcting this mistake. If they could just communicate with other drivers on the road, it'd be a much nicer place to be.

If I make a mistake, I'll wear it and correct it later in the safest way (on a motorcycle if I don't, I'll probably end up dead). Once recently, I was stuck in a lane that wasn't getting an arrow to turn, something was wrong with the timing. I asked the driver next to me if I could go in front of them so I could get out, they said that I could. It won't be often that they'll say no.

The optional rule is 'on exit' not 'on entry'. I indicate on exit sometimes, but not very often. Only when I think it might be useful.

Yes, that's right, I'm not saying otherwise.

This optional rule is misinterpreted so often and in spectacularly dangerous ways if other people aren't on their toes, that it should be removed. It's not written ambiguously, but people are clearly not understanding it. The worst part is that these people are then able to pass on their incorrect usage of it to someone else when teaching them how to drive.

Choc

Banned
I wonder why the BBC even gives a fuck about ratings?

they are not a commercial station and only use taxpayer/tv licence money

The ABC doesn't generally give a rats arse about the ratings. WTF

My mother's rule of thumb was to assume that every other driver on the road is a complete idiot and likely to do something irrational, stupid and unexpected at any moment. Served me pretty well thus far.

having someone indicate left and then going straight through has caused near misses in the past.
Pretty sure that in the past (or maybe still?) you are/were supposed to indicate left whenever you exit the roundabout. Maybe it is (was?) a UK rule and carried over from there. Most roundabouts in Australia only have 3-4 exits, so it doesn't make much sense on those, but on big ones with like 8 exits it may be more suited.

markot

Banned
Haha, I almost got hit twice today by p platers in the same parking lot who seemed to think the road I was on was one way >.>;

Fredescu

Pretty sure that in the past (or maybe still?) you are/were supposed to indicate left whenever you exit the roundabout.
It is, but the exact wording (in NSW) is "If practicable, a driver driving in a roundabout must give a left change of direction signal when leaving the roundabout." In other words, if it doesn't make sense, you don't have to do it. It often doesn't make sense.

Danoss

It's only really useful on massive roundabouts.

As we don't have many with a large number of exits, I'll only make use of it when the roundabout is quite large, like the ones so big that you can't see your exit when you get on it. I can see it's purpose then, but it's something that'd make sense to do even if the rule wasn't in the book and/or optional. Get on large roundabout, turn off indicator if it was on for a good reason (often pointless on such a large roundabout), approach exit, indicate so others know you're turning off.

Pretty simple, and rarely useful.

Salazar

zZ9Jw.gif

Danoss

My mother's rule of thumb was to assume that every other driver on the road is a complete idiot and likely to do something irrational, stupid and unexpected at any moment. Served me pretty well thus far.

You can take that a step further. I was taught the same, but part of motorcycle training is scanning. You're constantly moving your eyes from left to right, checking mirrors and blind spots, looking for hazards and obstacles, noting vehicle positions around you and changes to that, which makes long trips rather fatiguing.

Since you're constantly observing your surroundings, watching driver behaviour inside their vehicle, looking at their wheels for movement and direction, you can see emerging patterns and start to predict what people are going to do. It can be like "this person is going to dangerously pull out in front of me in 3... 2... and there we go, lucky I was expecting that and slowed down and have primed my brakes". It keeps you on your toes, prepared for what may happen and you always have an escape route in mind and planned for.

Rahk

I'm always sceptical and never go in if there is a car anywhere near to the right of me even if they are indicating to turn off. Would have probably been hit on my motorcycle if I trusted them.

I wish more people rode motorcycles, I think the road would be a much safer place to be. Ride a motorcycle for any length of time and you quickly realise how life-threatening many of the actions taken by motorists (often referred to as 'cagers' in the motorcyclist community) really are.

People on our roads are oblivious, selfish, or uncaring cunts. I'll frequently see people make a mistake on the road, like being in the wrong lane, and then inconvenience or endanger other drivers whilst correcting this mistake. If they could just communicate with other drivers on the road, it'd be a much nicer place to be.
Very true.

I find myself having to ride as if no one else on the road can see me and be overly cautious, because a lot of the time they don't, and if you're not prepared you are screwed.

Not too long ago I was riding along a street and a car was stopped ahead to the left at a T-intersection indicating to turn right. I slowed down a bit and moved towards the right of the lane to be cautious, but he didn't seem to be moving after a period of time so I presumed he saw me and I kept going at a constant speed. Nope, just as I coming up he pulled out and I had to swerve to the other side of the road to avoid him.

Some drivers just seem to scan for cars, and if there is anything that doesn't fit that mould it is invisible to them.

Anyway, lesson learned. I'll be even more cautious in future if I see anyone pulling out of anywhere.

Shaneus

j6v1I.jpg

b2ELQ.gif

PS Move controller for $28. You can use this to play No More Heroes and House of the Dead 4 Shaneus!
If you already own a PS Eye camera
Already got. It's been used... thrice? That's not three sessions, but in three actual games. Total. Flight control, the sports demo and something else. Time Crisis demo, I think. Stupidly, I completely forgot about that sale on HotD for PS3 you told me about (I think?). Boo.

The thing is if you toot or yell at many of these people, they will give you the finger. Ironically, giving you the finger requires far more effort than indicating in the first place.
People who don't acknowledge when I let them go past when I'm, say, behind a parked car down a smallish street (one where there might be enough room, but might not be). A lift of the finger is fine, but by god if they just drive straight through I'm ropeable for the next 5-10 minutes. Discourteous cunts.
Also, people who are TOO courteous. To the point of being dangerous. Person facing me turning left into a street I'm turning right into, at traffic lights. He's indicating left, WAITING FOR ME TO GO. No pedestrians, no red arrow on his side or green arrow on mine, just pure dip-shittedness.

Okay, off my chest. Happy now :)

Pretty sure that in the past (or maybe still?) you are/were supposed to indicate left whenever you exit the roundabout. Maybe it is (was?) a UK rule and carried over from there. Most roundabouts in Australia only have 3-4 exits, so it doesn't make much sense on those, but on big ones with like 8 exits it may be more suited.
Likewise on the former. Always presume that not everyone is as aware of their surroundings as you are.
On the latter, I've always known about indicating down the particular way you go down, but it seems counter-intuitive, because if you are just going straight from where you were then people would've seen you. The only reason you'd indicate is to give people ahead of you in the order of things an advanced warning. If you don't, they wait .5sec longer. No biggie. (unless there's some scenario I haven't allowed for that justifies that explanation. Otherwise, let's just say "I do it because I feel like it.")
Oh, two-lane roundabouts it's a good place to do it, though.

Apparently Huawei have a phone coming out called the D Quad.

Say that one out loud.
Oh, I'm getting one just for that, then.
"What phone is that?"
"Oh, it's a hwahhh-waay DickWad."

Edit: OH SHIT GUYS STOP THE PRESSESSES EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH THIS
Marvel's The Avengers (on a budget)
(maybe kinda spoilery... but not really? only really worth watching if you've seen the movie, I guess)

Hopefully the rain is finished, really need to go for a run :(

Are people in Gaming seriously pissed about there being ads on XBL now? Seriously? It's like they've never watched TV, listened to the radio or been on the internet. Is this a common subscription in AusGAF too?
Haven't they always had ads on there for ages now? Whole dashboard is one giant advertisement since the new release anyway, annoying as shit to find stuff you want since every page has at least 5 ads on it.

goddamn I just devour Mandarins. As bad as almonds.
What's wrong with mandarins? Love em.

Retaliation = Back to revenge in engrish?
Oh man that looks TERRIBLE. Can't wait for the next Expendables though!

Advertising has made commercial radio completely unlistenable (is that a word?). I just can't anymore. If you're paying for xbox live they really shouldn't NEED ads.
That's why I only listen to Triple J these days. I will enjoy most of the songs and don't have to listen to fucking stupid advertisements. Thankfully my work hours are during music time so I don't get stuck listening to Hack too.

I thought the rule of a stop sign was that the wheels must come to a complete stop before the line. That's when you check it is clear to proceed, as stop signs are put in places with obstructed vision in at least one direction; I don't recall there being a time period designated for performing this check.
That is how I remember it when I went for my licence here in VIC.

the rule is you can't park within 9 metres of a pedestrian crossing i think
Yup, that is how I recall it. As long as you don't have the car out of gear within 9m of the crossing you should be golden.

I'm actually not going to jump on Clive about this, because love is what it is, but damn that is a headline.
Plus that story made me go, "awwwwww". Very cute and a very nice happy ending after a lot of heartache for both of them.

He is still a shitcunt though.

More driving discussion! Do you trust other drivers' indicators when entering a round-a-bout?
LOL

Not since moving to Warrnambool. Shit is fucking dangerous. Nearly been run over as a pedestrian several times by cars speeding through not looking as well as cars not indicating or even INDICATING TO GO LEFT WHEN THEY GO STRAIGHT WHICH IS SUPER FUCKING DANGEROUS AND IF I SEE YOU DO IT I WILL CALL YOU A FUCKWIT STRAIGHT UP TO YOUR FACE FACE.

When driving is just as bad. I have gotten used to people doing a lot of 180's due to the shitty parking in the main area of town which is full or roundabouts but seriously, fuck those people who don't indicate or indicate at the wrong time.

I just treat everyone as if they were 70 year olds having a stroke as they are cruising along, who knows what will happen so just stay the fuck away form the and expect them to try and kill you if they can possibly do it with their last breath.

Will be interesting to see if this is replicated in AU

UK Voice fails in ratings
Also a shit ton of reality shows at the moment. YTT just finished, Biggest Loser finishing up, The Block starting and Masterchef starting.

At some point people need to actually get some shit done outside work hours, something has got to give. Not to mention doing something with your kids at some point, maybe even your partner (even though it probably isn't advised).

Thanks man, that was awesome!

Shaneus

I posted it here because I didn't know if folks were still subbing to the OT or not. Dudes rocking it in their 40s (I think?) with better flow and energy than guys less than half their age. Too talented.

Edit: Also dropped some cash on this at lunchtime:
h5vIO.jpg

$38 and easily justified considering it includes a code for a full digital download *and* iron-on print (which will obviously never get used, but still makes it a little more unique). 180g vinyl too, so it's quality.

I posted it here because I didn't know if folks were still subbing to the OT or not. Dudes rocking it in their 40s (I think?) with better flow and energy than guys less than half their age. Too talented.
MCA was 47 dude!

Can't stop eating them. Put four down, look down 5 minutes later, nothing left but skin and seeds
They are tasty and they are fruit, although I can't recall the last time I had one (since I was a teenager?). If I ate 4 of them my fiancée would have a heartattack of joy.

I got to post animal gifs cos Rep isn't stepping up
lKqt2.gif

Deeku

Just got home, switch on tv, 2 guys butchering Viva la Vida on The Voice. That was sooo bad!

Ohhh my favourite is coming up soon. She better go through, she will win or I will cry! I forgot what her name was:/

Edit: BRITTANY!!! GO HER!

Want want want.

Also man potty training (well, potty seat that clips onto the big person toilet) is hilarious.
KSF1f.gif

Was talking about in that vid, which I couldn't be fucked calculating his age when that vid was shot. I think it puts him at 39, but then again, I couldn't work out $60/4 :(
Ah of course. Anyway, at the time of that video he was a few months into this 40th year on this earth. Did you look at the link for CDWOW I sent you? Some decent prices on there otherwise eBay is your best bet for vinyl. Still got my To The 5 Burroughs vinyl somewhere that I got on release at the Leading Edge that used to be across from the (now empty) KFC in the middle of Geelong. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom