• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Ericsson PSPhone

Xun

Old? I did a search and couldn't find anything. Anyway!

pspphone1.jpg

pspphone2.jpg

pspphone3.jpg

Article

batbeg

Defuser said:
I don't think people will want a big bulky game phone.

The iPhone feels pretty bulky and clunky to me.

That said, I'm pretty indifferent to this PSPhone. I was hoping the PSPhone would be the next PSP and as such a generation leap.

Struct09 said:
I actually really like Sony Ericsson phones

I used to until they basically released the same phone a dozen times in about 3 years. I think I'm a Nokia guy now. Especially since a new version of Snakes, the best thing EVER, was announced.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I would hope that Sony would have learned something for the N-Gage, as in never make one of those.

TheGreatDave said:
I used to until they basically released the same phone a dozen times in about 3 years. I think I'm a Nokia guy now. Especially since a new version of Snakes, the best thing EVER, was announced.

Yeah, the w750i turned me onto SE phones in a big way, but then the w800, w850 etc were just tiny incremental improvements.

I LOVE the Cybershot / k phones. Sony Ericsson phones at 3.2 megapixels, stand up to a lot of these newer 5 megapixel phones in terms of image quality. And of course, the latest models are 5 megapixels themselves.

I also really love the user interface on Sony phones... by the looks of it, they're also throwing in an XMB style interface on new phones for managing media. Which I believe to be a good thing.

Despite all that, I went with the LG Viewty recently. It was free on my plan, and yes touch screen is a bit gimmicky and the flash based GUI is a bit iffy, but the phone has great features, a nice camera and beautiful aesthetic.

If Sony DO make a PSPhone, I'll look at it very seriously though.

Well that actually looks pretty nice. It looks like they could use some of the idea from this phone on the next PSP. I'm not saying that the D-pad shouldn't be in front, but veing able to slide the back and having extra buttons for other purposes(keyboard perhaps) would be pretty cool.

I've always wanted to know how XMB would be like as a phone UI. I like S-E's U250 platform, but it is getting a bit outdated by now.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This the same magazine that had the article on the PS Aibo? The phone looks sweet.

Darkpen

Banned
lol, looks nice, too bad its not real.
no, not really too bad. I don't think I'd pick it up, probably eats battery life for breakfast

inner-G

Banned
Darkpen said:
lol, looks nice, too bad its not real.
no, not really too bad. I don't think I'd pick it up, probably eats battery life for breakfast
I dunno, PSP2K get pretty good battery life, and this thing looks even smaller.

Remote play for music/videos anywhere in the world would be SICK!

robochimp

monkeylite said:
I've always wanted to know how XMB would be like as a phone UI. I like S-E's U250 platform, but it is getting a bit outdated by now.

XMB on mobile phones does exist. I think it was shown by someone at sony during some sort of trade show

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
If the phone is real, and has Home integration like how it was during the past e3, then sign me up.

DGaio

This is a mockup, it does not exist nor it's official whatsoever. Last line says: "probability of this product in the future: 35%"

robochimp said:
XMB on mobile phones does exist. I think it was shown by someone at sony during some sort of trade show

I just remembered that some of S-E's newer top-tier feature phones uses XMB. But it was only for the media section.

k850screen-074.jpg

batbeg

solid2snake said:
where are the shoulder buttons and the analog nub?

The nub is pretty clear, and the shoulder buttons would probably be relegated to the two Confirm/Deny buttons.

But as has been said, this is a mockup anyway.

sakuragi

Banned
That look fantastic. I hope it has the same functionality like the PSP slim ( TV out). If it has, then day 1. I'd give my N95 away :D

Zaptruder

Banned
This is what PSP2 needs to be.

Make games all downloadable content. And make a stand alone PSP2 like the ipod touch is to the iphone.

Defuser

batbeg said:
The iPhone feels pretty bulky and clunky to me.
You can't compare the iphone and PSP,in fact iphone is slimer than PSP slim. It will be very bulky if they combine PSP tech with phone tech.

Although,a PSP phone wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Japan loves handheld & mobile phone, so PSP phone = win win win

Top Bottom